To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Posting a training question here that others might like to hear the answer to, or might like to chime in on:
< 10 weeks out from my marathon I started noticing that on runs where I'm a little more fatigued, I am starting to get some ankle/hip twinging like I got when I had my ankle (soft tissue) injury 2 years ago. I came to realize then, and now I'm reminded, it's a posture issue: My core is very weak, and when I get tired I get sloppy in posture, and that translates to pain in my legs from throwing off my center of balance, that could potentially lead to an injury.
So now what? I feel like there are 2 choices:
1) Start working on core now, hoping to get stronger before my marathon in 66 days (who's counting? lol)
2) Decide it is too close to the race to start adding new workouts, and just focus on keeping posture up when I notice it slip.

Which is it? If I do want to add some core, is there any way it could possibly make a difference in 2 months?

Just dropping this here for you
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41576-021-00400-5And probably going to read it now instead of doing the work I'm supposed to do

It was an interesting read. Despite my major in college (over a decade ago) being genetics, it's not my area of research presently. So a lot of the language is like reading old textbooks to me. And the science has likely changed quite a bit since I was in school. But I could understand some of the general premises. Not necessarily something I feel qualified to break down or critique much though.

Posting a training question here that others might like to hear the answer to, or might like to chime in on:
< 10 weeks out from my marathon I started noticing that on runs where I'm a little more fatigued, I am starting to get some ankle/hip twinging like I got when I had my ankle (soft tissue) injury 2 years ago. I came to realize then, and now I'm reminded, it's a posture issue: My core is very weak, and when I get tired I get sloppy in posture, and that translates to pain in my legs from throwing off my center of balance, that could potentially lead to an injury.
So now what? I feel like there are 2 choices:
1) Start working on core now, hoping to get stronger before my marathon in 66 days (who's counting? lol)
2) Decide it is too close to the race to start adding new workouts, and just focus on keeping posture up when I notice it slip.

Which is it? If I do want to add some core, is there any way it could possibly make a difference in 2 months?

Hmm, that's an interesting question. The general recommendation is to avoid making too many changes once you get inside eight weeks. But that's mostly from a pace standpoint, as that's more commonly what people look to change this late in the training plan. It certainly comes with its sets of risks and benefits. The benefits are obvious as if you've got a stronger core, hopefully this will correct the issues you're seeing happen. The risks are adding too much to the training load late in the game that your body doesn't get enough rest, not adapting to the last bit of training, or potentially push you too far such that you don't properly taper come race time.

So I think I'd approach this with two mindsets:

1) If you're finding this twinge occurs on runs that you're a little more fatigued on, but not on others, then let's see if we can adjust the training to avoid those "little more fatigue" runs. Potentially slowing down further on those runs as to not enter that "more fatigued" zone. Is the fatigue showing up in pacing/effort or some other measure during these particular runs? Types of runs perhaps?

2) Consider adding in some core workouts, but maybe limit it to 1-2 times per week and something short/small. Kind of like a balancing act between a full blown core strength set of weekly workouts, and nothing. Split the difference hoping for some gains (not maximal) and some additional core fatigue (but also not maximal). I feel as if I've seen small gains in less than 66 days from core work. So no reason to feel as if the length of time is too short from a calendar standpoint.

The risk here is if you do too much, you could get injured or feel "blah" on race day. Conversely, the risk of not doing anything is that your twinge continues to worsen in the next 10 weeks leaving you injured and unable to race. That's why I like the idea of adding something small. Hopefully splitting the difference between the two potential "risky" outcomes. One thing you should do is commit to a choice, and do it wholeheartedly for the remaining 66 days. And try as much as you can to ignore some of those late stage mental "taper madness" moments that are assuredly coming.

@SheHulk my opinion, and all i can say is i stayed at a holiday inn last night, is to start the core work. Now I agree start easy and build up. If you have not been doing sit ups and that is where you are starting don't start doing 100 on the first day, do 25. You get the point. Generally speaking my PT gives me exercises to do and it usually helps. When i stop i notice twinges coming back. Again only my opinion, i have nothing to base it on.

It sounds like you need to work your core in general. You’re not going to gain anything by waiting longer to start are you?
@SheHulk my opinion, and all i can say is i stayed at a holiday inn last night, is to start the core work. Now I agree start easy and build up. If you have not been doing sit ups and that is where you are starting don't start doing 100 on the first day, do 25. You get the point. Generally speaking my PT gives me exercises to do and it usually helps. When i stop i notice twinges coming back. Again only my opinion, i have nothing to base it on.
Haha maybe you guys don't understand: I dislike core work and am trying to find excuses not to do it 😊 I literally would rather run for 2 hours, than plank for 30 seconds. But my fitness definitely shows it. I ask because I need some pushing so thanks for that.

It was an interesting read. Despite my major in college (over a decade ago) being genetics, it's not my area of research presently. So a lot of the language is like reading old textbooks to me. And the science has likely changed quite a bit since I was in school. But I could understand some of the general premises. Not necessarily something I feel qualified to break down or critique much though.
Yeah I shared with you before reading, mostly because it seemed up your professional alley. I understand, though, I haven't taken a genetics class since 1993! The field has definitely moved on. But I do go to talks and read things so I have some idea. Anyway the only takeaway for me for any of this genetics stuff is that it's not my fault if I suck, I was born that way.

Hmm, that's an interesting question. The general recommendation is to avoid making too many changes once you get inside eight weeks. But that's mostly from a pace standpoint, as that's more commonly what people look to change this late in the training plan. It certainly comes with its sets of risks and benefits. The benefits are obvious as if you've got a stronger core, hopefully this will correct the issues you're seeing happen. The risks are adding too much to the training load late in the game that your body doesn't get enough rest, not adapting to the last bit of training, or potentially push you too far such that you don't properly taper come race time.

So I think I'd approach this with two mindsets:

1) If you're finding this twinge occurs on runs that you're a little more fatigued on, but not on others, then let's see if we can adjust the training to avoid those "little more fatigue" runs. Potentially slowing down further on those runs as to not enter that "more fatigued" zone. Is the fatigue showing up in pacing/effort or some other measure during these particular runs? Types of runs perhaps?
TBH it's only been the two easy runs since my very hard effort race on Sunday. A few miles into each run I noticed ankle hurt in a familiar spot, and my hip on the other side, and I noticed I was slumping. I straightened up and the pain went away within maybe 30 seconds. I haven't been feeling fatigue or having trouble outside of that, but I haven't really hit higher volume or longer runs yet, being more than 8 weeks out. But I'm worried if I'm not careful and I continue slumping that's trouble.

2) Consider adding in some core workouts, but maybe limit it to 1-2 times per week and something short/small. Kind of like a balancing act between a full blown core strength set of weekly workouts, and nothing. Split the difference hoping for some gains (not maximal) and some additional core fatigue (but also not maximal). I feel as if I've seen small gains in less than 66 days from core work. So no reason to feel as if the length of time is too short from a calendar standpoint.

The risk here is if you do too much, you could get injured or feel "blah" on race day. Conversely, the risk of not doing anything is that your twinge continues to worsen in the next 10 weeks leaving you injured and unable to race. That's why I like the idea of adding something small. Hopefully splitting the difference between the two potential "risky" outcomes. One thing you should do is commit to a choice, and do it wholeheartedly for the remaining 66 days. And try as much as you can to ignore some of those late stage mental "taper madness" moments that are assuredly coming.
OK you convinced me, I'll start. I had a little routine where I was doing planks, side planks, some leg raises and bridges. I can build up from scratch again. An ounce of prevention as they say.

8 Weeks to go - Hansons Intermediate Week 10/18

9/13/21 - M - OFF
9/14/21 - T - 3 x 1 mile @ 5k
9/15/21 - W - 1.1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
9/16/21 - R - 8 miles @ M Tempo
9/17/21 - F - 1 mile @ run/walk with G + 4 miles @ Easy
9/18/21 - Sa - 8 min @ Easy w/ strides
9/19/21 - Su - 10 miles @ Progressive LR w/ uphill FF

Total Run Miles - 45.8 miles
Total Run Time - 6:24 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 0:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:00 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 6:24 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Second try at 3 x 1 mile at 5k pace. Also the last 5k paced workout of the training plan. First time trying the Saucony Pro at a consistent faster pace.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 68°F + 60°F; FL - 68°F
End: Temp+Dew = 68°F + 60°F; FL - 68°F

Based on the T+D, the goal was 6:21-6:26 pace.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 4.05.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 4.06.01 PM.png

Yea... so about that... Might have missed the mark a little bit on that first mile. :)

But honestly, it felt OH SO GOOD. Like very little effort for what it was. I thought, oh well let's just roll with it. I probably hurt myself in terms of the remainder of the workout, but I can live with that. But then I followed that 6:07 up with a 6:11 and a 6:17. Let's put some perspective on those splits:

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 4.09.42 PM.png

That's my 4th, 5th, and 10th (tied for) fastest miles EVER. The other "training run" mile was a mile time trial as well. So this was three of my fastest miles ever, and the only ones to truly occur mid-workout. Gotta love it. The workout ended up being 6.3 miles, 8:07 pace, 51 min, and HR of 139. Maybe I judged those Saucony Pro to quickly. To be fair, it's been years since I've done 5k pace which is primed for setting mile split PRs in a training run. But I've got nearly 13,000 miles to my name. So anytime I can put together three top ten performances in a single workout, I take notice.

Wednesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 4mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 46°F; FL - 71°F
End: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 47°F; FL - 71°F

G and I enjoyed our run together. We did 30/30 again. Not quite ready to try 45/30 again yet. Pretty sure the majority of the conversation revolved around her day at school.

Afterwards, I did 4 mile on my own. Couldn't remember if I was suppose to do 4 miles or 5 miles total for the day. So I went with the higher volume. Nothing to note, which has been a good theme recently. The body is feeling good and I'm working on a second week of completely healthy runs. The run ended up at 4 miles, 37 min, 9:20 pace, and HR of 130. Solid.

Thursday

M Tempo day.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 12mph to 18mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 76°F + 56°F; FL - 76°F
End: Temp+Dew = 73°F + 56°F; FL - 76°F

Based on the T+D the goal was 7:14. First time doing M Tempo with the Saucony Pro. Based on the 5k effort, I was figuring I'd probably easily be flying.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 4.18.03 PM.png

Not quite flying. I wouldn't say it was too hard, but I also didn't want to push the pace down to the 7:14 goal. I was content living in the 7:20s. Based on the HR, that was the right decision. I think I was slightly dehydrated or something was just a touch off. Maybe the sun was extra intense? Regardless, it was still a good run despite not being able to hit the mark. The M Tempo ended up being 7:21 pace at a HR of 153. It didn't feel like a HR of 153 and that's certainly not sustainable during a real marathon. So Tuesday's 5k workout was like hey maybe you're in 18:40s shape, and then Thursday's workout was like yea, no your endurance isn't quite there yet. That's been a common struggle in this training plan. I'm consistently 10 seconds or so behind the M Tempo pace. In total the workout was 11 miles, 86 min, 7:48 pace, and HR of 146.

Friday

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 10mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 63°F; FL - 75°F
End: Temp+Dew = 74°F + 62°F; FL - 75°F

Another good 1 mile run using run/walk with G. At first she wanted to talk about fairies again, but then we changed topic and stuck with her day at school. She had her first spelling test, and feels it went well.

The run for me was nothing noteable. Body still feeling good. In total it was 4 miles, 36 min, 9:00 pace, and HR of 133.

Saturday

Weekly weigh-in. Down another 1 pound to 174.4. That's 15.0 pounds in 15 weeks. I'm almost to the goal weight for this training plan with 8 weeks remaining. Happy with the progress. I can tell the difference with the runs.

Steph had to work, so I was up early and out the door at 6:30am. Although, the weather would have made me want to get up early in run as well.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 6mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 48°F + 48°F; FL - 46°F
End: Temp+Dew = 51°F + 50°F; FL - 46°F

It's been since April/May since the last sub-100 T+D. Fall is coming! And it felt glorious. At times I thought maybe I'm over-running this easy run, but at the same time the effort was just pure easy. I was wearing the Saucony Pro and was noticing a bit of soreness on the inside of my knees and a little shin pain on the right leg. Neither were huge and were corrected once I moved to the other side of the road to swap camber. I hemmed and hawed whether I wanted to do strides. My left shoe felt a little loose, so I decided not to risk it. Ended up at 8 miles, 86 min, 8:13 pace, and HR of 132. That's a solid easy day HR. So nothing to correct there. Nice and smooth.

That afternoon I had finally got all the pieces together to try making G's Scarlet Witch (Wanda) headpiece glow using LEDs. I could get the system to work when it was a single battery, single LED, and an on/off switch. But every time I added a second LED, then I wouldn't get the system to light anymore. The first time I thought I might have switched the polarities order for the LEDs, but after the second and third time when I was way more careful, it still didn't work. So I settled on the idea that something in my system (battery or switch) wasn't liking the second LED and the 3V battery wasn't enough anymore. So as I settled in to bed, I decided I would just do three lights on three separate batteries. It would still look good, but not quite what I had originally planned.

Sunday

Short long run day!

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 5mph to 10mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 55°F + 55°F; FL - 55°F
End: Temp+Dew = 59°F + 59°F; FL - 55°F

Not quite as cold as Saturday, but still pretty good. Decided just to let happen whatever wanted to happen when it came to long run effort. That turned into a progressive long run.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 5.56.18 PM.png

The run felt good throughout. The knee and shin were a little noticeable, but not anything too bad. After I passed mile 9, I was still feeling good and decided to do the fast finish up the hill again. Felt good and strong on the climb. Happy with the effort overall. In total it was 10.2 miles, 79 min, 7:47 pace, and HR of 136! That's a fabulous HR for the pace. That's right in line with last weekend's 15 miler as better than anything in the last three years. So I think I can officially feel pretty good about my current fitness. Between the HRvPace data saying good things, and setting three top 10 mile performances in a single workout, things are going well. Just got to continue to stay healthy.

Garmin VO2max was 57 after this run. That's good with a T+D of 118. Keeps me right on track as well.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 4.09.20 PM.png

So as we look forward to next week, the question is whether I do the Vilas Zoo 10k or not. I wanted the temps to help me make that decision.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 6.06.59 PM.png

Looking pretty good. Pretty pretty good. That's a T+D of 84 or wind chill of 45F. Beautiful. So based on how things have been going and these temps, I'm leaning towards doing it and just seeing how it goes. There is a MONSTER hill right at the start. I've done it once before in a race back in 2014 I believe. It's one of those hills that would be easier to ascend on a ladder than running. It's a 70 foot incline in 0.1 miles. So that's a 13.3% grade. Thankfully, it's at the start so I could just crawl up it before I take on the real race. I haven't signed up yet, but I probably will.

While I was running, I had an idea about G's headpiece. What if I did six batteries with six LEDs, with no switches and very short wires. I might be able to fit everything in. And it worked! So I made six sets, then glued the foam cutout to a red sweatband. I put the headpiece around a medicine ball to simulate G's head while I worked on it to keep the right shape. I then hot glued each of the six sets on. Then I hot glued on some velcro ends to each side of the foam to make it removable to access the batteries when desired. The whole thing should last 11 hours at the most, which is plenty of time for Halloween and Princess runDisney race. So G threw on her Scarlet Witch dress so we could see the whole thing together.

thumbnail_IMG_4107.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4110.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4124.jpeg

I'm in love with how it turned out. There some small things that bother me, but overall I'd say for a first attempt at something like this, I'm pleased. We just need to work on her LED gloves (which should be fairly simple). Then her costume will be complete. I've still got to work on my LED cape, but hoping that will be easier since I'm using Christmas lights.

Hope G gets some LEDs in her cape too :)

That was my original plan, but Steph said no. She didn’t want me to make any alterations to the original Wanda dress. The cape is removable. So I proposed making a completely separate one, and she said no. That’s why I made the headpiece and then found some gloves as a compromise.

Signed up for the 10k. Couldn't pass up the weather, good current fitness, and like 99% injury free for the last two weeks. Had to do some moving around on the training plan to keep things flowing properly. I'll probably change my 4x1.5 mi workout next week Tuesday to just 10 miles easy instead. Learned from the last go around that I don't do well with a race weekend and a Tuesday workout.

2021 Run Wild 10k (Henry Vilas Zoo) Strategy

So I decided to sign up for the 2021 Run Wild 10k on Sunday this past Monday. The weather was looking good, I'm feeling healthy, and my fitness is in a good place. Of course, I pushed too hard on Tuesday and that slight knee issue I was having has become more of an issue. So not as healthy as I was, but still in a decent place. I made Thursday an easy day instead of the 11 mile M Tempo with hopes of increasing recovery. I think it's a simple case of "runner's knee". I was doing some pretty hard uphills/downhills at just slower than HM Tempo in my Saucony Pros, and I think that might have been a bit too much for them (and me) in the moment. So we'll see on that end.

The weather is still looking good.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 12.55.50 PM.png

Not as cool as it was projected a few days ago, but still really nice for September. So I won't complain.

The course has a few challenges:

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 12.56.27 PM.png

The first hill is not a GPS error. It's legit. It's about 70 feet in 0.1 miles and 100 feet in 0.2 miles. I've done it once before, and like I said prior, it might be easier to use a ladder up it than to actually run up it. So the strategy from a hill perspective is to feel comfortable leading up to that first hill. Then take my time up it, allow others to pass of a similar pace at the start. If I'm even with others, than I'm going too fast. I want people to be passing me up this hill. Then once I'm past the hill, I'll push the pace a little more, but not full on 10k pace quite yet. I want to get past the mile 3 hill, and then once I am that's when I hope to actually start racing and Pac-Man runners to the finish line.

My Garmin VO2max is 57 right now. Based on my Garmin VO2max-VDOT that's something like a 40:37 - 41:20 finish if healthy. So something in the 6:30s for pace. We shall see.

I haven't done many 10ks, and only a handful of non-Dopey 10ks (2). This is my current top five 10k times.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 1.08.05 PM.png

So this will be interesting.

Look at that gorgeous weather!

For real, though. One of those rare times a local race and really nice conditions lines up. Light wind. 40s. A little bit of clouds. That's near perfection. I'd take about 10 degrees cooler, but that's really splitting hairs.

I've replaced several bands on my 235, and just put one on my husband's Instinct as well. The band holders always seem to break first and no one wants the band just flapping in the wind!

2021 Run Wild 10k (Henry Vilas Zoo) Recap

Strategy

Alright, let's recap the Run Wild 10k!

I got up at 4am. I was able to sleep 10 hrs Friday night, and did pretty well sleeping on Saturday night as well. I ate a PB sandwich and then drank some orange flavored Liquid IV. Took a shower, helped get G and the dog ready, and then we were on the road at 5:20am. Arrived at the Zoo area at 5:40am, but it was awfully quiet. We didn't see anyone driving around, no one setting anything up, so there was a lot of confusion as to whether the race was actually happening, were we just early, what was going on, where should we park, is it safe for me to be out here running around with no one around, etc...

Eventually around 6:10am we started to see a few other cars arriving, and then I got out and made my way to where the start line was supposed to be. I saw a few runners hanging around, and then I found my way into the Zoo area to registration and bathrooms. By the time I got back to the car and Steph/G I had lost almost all the time to do a warmup. So I did some stretching, and then by the time I made my way back to the start line it was 6:50am. With the start 10 min away, it was just out of time to do any significant WU. I wanted to do 20-30 min of WU, but I wasn't going to let it effect me.

I drank some water, ate a caff Maurten, and then lined up near the start. They had changed to a rolling start (per the instructions). It was kind of awkward because 7:00am rolled around and the announcer was like well go ahead whenever you want. And then us at the start were all just looking at each other for like 5-10 seconds with no one moving. So then I just went, and some of the others were like hey, what's he doing. And I was like he said it was a rolling start, so let's get going. Awkward to say the least. But whatever, the race was on.

Mile 1 - 7:25 - GAP 7:02

The goal was to get off to a decent start, let some people go ahead of me, and then make my way to the steep Edgewood hill. I felt like I handled the start well, and got to the hill in like 8th or so place. And then I took the Edgewood hill nice and slow. Just bidding my time and not pushing it at all. Per Strava it peaked at 15% grade. My pace slowed to an 11:00 min/mile, but per GAP it was close to a 6:00 min/mile. So possibly didn't even slow down enough. And I thought the hill was up, then lull, then up again. But in reality it was up, lull, and then a little down. So I thought I still had a little more to go and in reality it was over. So that was a nice surprise. The rest of mile one was spent on the chase. I had let others get a size-able gap on me, and now it was time to chase them down. Ahead I could see a guy dressed all in black and he was the first I was after. My paced moved from the 7:15 area to the 6:40 area. The final mile time was 7:25 and GAP was 7:02.

Mile 2 - 6:52 - GAP 6:52

The chase was on and I was moving. I hit the mile marker on course, but my watch was still a good bit from hitting one mile. Looking back through the data, my assumption is that my watch didn't know how to handle the Edgewood hill because of the steepness so it got a bit confused on the distance. I was making good progress to the man in black. I passed him at Mile 1.4, and then was making my way towards blue shorts and flower shorts. They had a size-able gap on me so this was going to be a long chase. Mile 2 was nice and flat, and I was preparing myself for the third mile which would be a bit of a hill again. Finished off the mile at 6:52 with a GAP of 6:52.

Mile 3 - 7:10 - GAP 6:53

Mile 3 was me making up some ground on blue shorts and flower shorts. I saw blue shorts pass flower shorts in the distance, so I thought I had my guy in my sights. I'd guess they were about 200m or so ahead of me at this point. Made my way to the second hill and then slowed down again. I was doing 6:50s before the hill and then started doing 8-8:40s (GAP was 7:15s down to 6:30s). I finished off Mile 3 feeling pretty good and ready to attack the remainder of the race. My pace was 7:10 and GAP was 6:53.

Mile 4 - 6:40 - GAP 6:44

The chase was now officially on towards flower shorts. I'd say at the start of Mile 4 I was about 100-150m behind. He was definitely within shot, but it was a nice gap to make up. I was shot of a cannon on the downhill. Dropping my pace from 6:50s to 5:20s (even the GAP was in the 5:50s). Maybe a bit too aggressive, but it felt right. This mile was a little bit of down, flat, slight down, flat, slight down. So my pace was a little bit all over the place as I was trying to take advantage of the downhills. So it looked a little bit some nice surges. I made up some significant gap on flower shorts in this mile and was no probably 20-40m behind at the most. The mile was 6:40 and GAP was 6:44. I'm definitely doing a good job with the strategy of start slow and finish fast.

Mile 5 - 6:39 - GAP 6:44

Mile 5 was mostly flat and I was feeling pretty good. My legs were moving well, and my breathing was in a good place. I was slowly reeling in flower shorts. Blue shorts had about 200-300m on us, so he was a little out of reach at this point. The pace was a little more consistent during this mile. Sticking to the 6:20-6:40s for the most part. I passed flower shorts finally at about mile 4.7-4.9 or so. I didn't leave him though, as soon as I pulled even with him you could tell he increased his effort level to stay with me. I have a feeling he could hear me closing in on me for the last few miles and was just waiting for me to pull even. At the end of this mile we were even. I ran this one in 6:39 and GAP of 6:44.

Mile 6 - 6:53 - GAP 6:53

And the push to the finish line was on. As soon as we hit the mile 5 marker flower shorts made his move. He was just barely pulling ahead, but over time that small gap became larger and larger despite me pushing pretty hard at this point. Pace was bouncing around the mid 7s to the mid 6s. As we were making our final turn it became clear that flower shorts lead had become insurmountable. I relaxed my body, focused my mind and my breathing, and then made my final push to the finish line. Finished off the final mile at 6:53 with GAP of 6:53, and then finished up the final little bit at 6:12 pace.

Final time - 42:03 (2nd best time ever)
Final pace - 6:46 (per race results)
Overall Place - 7/188th (top 3.7%)
Gender Place - 7/74th (top 9.5%)
Age Place - 3/29th (top 10.3%)

My placement was my 4th best non-Disney performance out of 31 races. I really enjoyed the race overall. It was slightly slower than I expected going into it, but well within margin of error. It was a VDOT 49 instead of the 50-51 range. Which is completely reasonable with a current VO2max of 56 (and my historical delta of 6-8). The other good news is that a 42:03 10k translates to a 3:14 marathon which is where my PR from Lakefront 2017 sits. So with seven weeks to go, I'd say I'm in a good place. Not all time fitness levels compared to my 1:30:35 Dopey 2018 HM, 39:54 Dopey 2018 10k, or 1:28:40 Madison 2019 HM, but a good place.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.39.39 AM.png

My pacing was absolutely solid and per my goal. I was hoping for a slow start and fast finish. Without pace hawking and really letting the effort guide the day, I did a 7:02, 6:51, 6:52, 6:43, 6:43 and 6:53 for the GAP. Like you can see the increase in pace over the course of the race. So from a strategy execution standpoint I give myself an "A+".

The best news of the day is that the course caused zero issues with my knee. Never felt like it held me back or was even all that noticeable. So hopefully that can remain the case moving forward. I'll probably play it safe on Tuesday and just do a duration workout instead of the scheduled 4 x 1.5 mile workout. Just to be extra sure as I move forward.

I'd like to do more 10ks moving foward. It's a nice distance. It's not a lung buster like the 5k, but it also isn't the endurance game that the HM/M is. This was only my 3rd non-Disney 10k, and I'd like to see more.

If the race uploads some pictures, I'll be sure to share.

ETA- Pictures

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 2.54.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 2.54.06 PM.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter