To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Wow, some of you guys were only off by a few seconds. Crazy! Insider knowledge?! :scratchin

Congrats on the 10k PR! Two bananas for you: :banana::banana:

I used Minnie Mouses' birthday to guess my time...so very scientific!!!!

Maybe you can bribe @DopeyBadger and he'll run really fast and then wait in front of the finish line to cross at your guessed time? It's worth a try? There's nothing in the rules saying you can't do that. I hear donuts may work.

Yeah I was thinking of yelling at you for being a few seconds too fast, but then I realized that would kind of go against the whole "trying to be fast" thing you are going for this weekend :)

SPREADSHEET TIME!

Here's how everyone did for 10k guesses vs. the official 43:25 finish
Your first 5k was 22:03 and second 5k was 21:22. That's nice negative split right there, Sir!

View attachment 213615

A lot of people guessed within a minute...but it was @roxymama taking home the top rank at 43:28 (she's so wise!)

And here are the current standings. @FFigawi is our current leader! You get a banana:banana:
View attachment 213618

MacMillan thinks you can run your half (based on your 10k time) at 1:36:47
Here's what we all think. I'm thinking you can get GiGi some points here :)
View attachment 213620

So close @roxymama!

@roxymama Thanks for the updated standings. I'm very consistent with my 5th place. :D

Woot woot!

McMillan prediction = @opusone prediction (I'm in good company)

Challenge accepted!

Wow, some of you guys were only off by a few seconds. Crazy! Insider knowledge?! :scratchin

Congrats on the 10k PR! Two bananas for you: :banana::banana:

Yum yum bananas! Almost all gone here!

I used Minnie Mouses' birthday to guess my time...so very scientific!!!!

Maybe you can bribe @DopeyBadger and he'll run really fast and then wait in front of the finish line to cross at your guessed time? It's worth a try? There's nothing in the rules saying you can't do that. I hear donuts may work.

Mmmmm.... Apple Fritters....

:guilty::(:sad:

Ugh!

Super ugh!

You worked so hard!

I mentioned in the other thread that maybe we can use the first half of your full (or whichever half is faster) to fill in that data. Up to you.

But also :sad:

:guilty::(:sad:

Ugh!

Super ugh!

You worked so hard!

I mentioned in the other thread that maybe we can use the first half of your full (or whichever half is faster) to fill in that data. Up to you.

But also :sad:

It sucks but given the conditions this morning it was totally the right decision. Remember this is just the victory lap, so I'm bummed but it doesn't phase me that much because the training was still fulfilling in the long run. Now comes the question of what to do for the full. Who knows what will happen now. I will continue with the effort based model and see what happens.

I propose two options for the contest and would like to see which people would prefer:

1- no hm, goofy or Dopey time. The marathon counts as double points.

2- @roxymama idea. 1st half of full tomorrow counts as the hm time and allows calculation of goofy and Dopey times as well. Everything proceeds as normal assuming 1st half of full equals the hm.

Thoughts?

But yes, I'll accept side bets for new marathon times but not as part of original contest. The prize is knowing you are smart and eternal glory :)

(I admit my time seems high now)

It sucks but given the conditions this morning it was totally the right decision. Remember this is just the victory lap, so I'm bummed but it doesn't phase me that much because the training was still fulfilling in the long run. Now comes the question of what to do for the full. Who knows what will happen now. I will continue with the effort based model and see what happens.

I propose two options for the contest and would like to see which people would prefer:

2- @roxymama idea. 1st half of full tomorrow counts as the hm time and allows calculation of goofy and Dopey times as well. Everything proceeds as normal assuming 1st half of full equals the hm.

Thoughts?

I think #1, but don't have a strong preference. Taking a half marathon time from a marathon effort just seems a little odd.

I think #1, but don't have a strong preference. Taking a half marathon time from a marathon effort just seems a little odd.

Yeah I think I'm good with that too @opusone . Less confusing and more fair the more I think about it. I'll post everyone's guesses a lil later today when I'm on my laptop. It would be too late to get new guesses from everyone.

So we will do double points for best marathon guess.

Good luck marathoners!!!

I'm just joining the conversion now, after having read about 22 of the 64 pages. DopeyBadger, you've inspired me to try the Hansons method for my next marathon (and here I was thinking the Hanson brothers are a bunch of hockey players).

I'll be running the marathon tomorrow but had to chime in with my condolences after hearing that the half was cancelled.

I don't anticipate seeing you as I'll be starting in the last corral. I ran a 2:27 half in October but it was too late to actually get a time in to runDisney. Training complications (a bad chest cold, too much snow on the ground, blister problems) have seriously eaten in to my expectations and preparations for the full, so I'll be glad with a vertical finish (hoping around 5:15). It's also my first marathon in about 9 years, celebrating my 40th birthday on Thursday!

Cheers and good luck tomorrow!

Yeah I think I'm good with that too @opusone . Less confusing and more fair the more I think about it. I'll post everyone's guesses a lil later today when I'm on my laptop. It would be too late to get new guesses from everyone.

So we will do double points for best marathon guess.

Good luck marathoners!!!

Sounds good and I agree. Double points for marathon and no other times count. It's just trying to make the best of the situation.

I'm just joining the conversion now, after having read about 22 of the 64 pages. DopeyBadger, you've inspired me to try the Hansons method for my next marathon (and here I was thinking the Hanson brothers are a bunch of hockey players).

I'll be running the marathon tomorrow but had to chime in with my condolences after hearing that the half was cancelled.

I don't anticipate seeing you as I'll be starting in the last corral. I ran a 2:27 half in October but it was too late to actually get a time in to runDisney. Training complications (a bad chest cold, too much snow on the ground, blister problems) have seriously eaten in to my expectations and preparations for the full, so I'll be glad with a vertical finish (hoping around 5:15). It's also my first marathon in about 9 years, celebrating my 40th birthday on Thursday!

Cheers and good luck tomorrow!

:welcome:

And thanks for reading! If you want to brace the cold, come out to the pre-race meet-up where they hold us for the corrals. I last posted the picture of the meeting spot in the marathon weekend thread on 12/31. I'll be there from around 3:30 to 4:00 with a "DIS" sign on. Otherwise, I believe for corral purposes B and he last corral are near each other. I'll be at the front of B with my bright orange shoes on and a bunch of layers. Come say hi there!

Thanks for the condolences! No worries though I'll just shift my plans and make the best of it. My wife said hey why don't you just go for that BQ. Probably still a little out of reach, but we will see what happens.

After marathon weekend we can discuss the Hansons plan philosophy more to help fit it to your needs best.

Best of luck to you tomorrow and hope to meet you!

Thoughts?

I'd vote for 2, because both ways will affect the result. Since Billy hasn't run a half, he will absolutely run a touch faster in the full favoring the faster guessers. That said, taking his faster HM from the full will absolutely be slower than his true HM effort favoring the slower guessers. If we do option 2, it impacts both sides and thus is most fair. That said, I won't lose any sleep either way.

Going way back to a conversation about stride frequency vs stride length. I never did find the article I referenced, but I found an interesting article with a similar conclusion.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2012/06/27/what-runners-can-learn-from-cheetahs/?referer=

It's from The NY Times weekly running section. Basically, they compared a cheetah to a greyhound, to see why a cheetah is so much faster. Turns out the cheetah can both extend its stride length like a grey hound, but also increase its stride frequency unlike a grey hound. That also fits the theory on Usain Bolt, being 6-4 but able to turn his legs over fast enough for the 100. Again, not a human study, so nothing conclusive but still interesting.

Last edited:
:welcome:

And thanks for reading! If you want to brace the cold, come out to the pre-race meet-up where they hold us for the corrals. I last posted the picture of the meeting spot in the marathon weekend thread on 12/31. I'll be there from around 3:30 to 4:00 with a "DIS" sign on. Otherwise, I believe for corral purposes B and he last corral are near each other. I'll be at the front of B with my bright orange shoes on and a bunch of layers. Come say hi there!

Thanks for the condolences! No worries though I'll just shift my plans and make the best of it. My wife said hey why don't you just go for that BQ. Probably still a little out of reach, but we will see what happens.

After marathon weekend we can discuss the Hansons plan philosophy more to help fit it to your needs best.

Best of luck to you tomorrow and hope to meet you!

Thanks for the invite, but I don't think I'll quite make it out that early! Hopefully I'll find you in the corral, or I'll see you on the boards!

The big question for tomorrow is what to wear. My rule of thumb is...

Over 40 wind chill - singlet and shorts
Between 30 and 40 - long sleeve and shorts
Between 20 and 30 - long sleeve and pants

Current wind chill predictions is 31 to 33 for the race duration.

I currently have singlet, shorts, and my calf sleeves (to be used as arm warmers throw away) left out right now. I also have winter gloves and a winter hat. I have tons and tons of throw away clothes to wear too.

Thoughts?

What? You didn't factor a lightning stormed cancelled half into your guess already? Pssssshhhh

Gotta always factor in the unknown...like a character stop with goofy dressed as an apple fritter OR Minnie wearing a spreadsheet dress. Gotta factor it all in!
I think he should dress as a spreadsheet for his meet and greet with spreadsheet Minnie. Can you imagine how excited Minnie will be? :love1:

It's so tough, I would lean toward long sleeve but I get cold easily. Anyway you can slit the pants and make them quick to tear off as you run if you think you need to start in them? Otherwise I would probably go shorts as pants for 26.2 I don't think I would like unless capris. Hat & gloves for sure, does that hat cover your ears?

I think he should dress as a spreadsheet for his meet and greet with spreadsheet Minnie. Can you imagine how excited Minnie will be? :love1:

:lmao:

It's so tough, I would lean toward long sleeve but I get cold easily. Anyway you can slit the pants and make them quick to tear off as you run if you think you need to start in them? Otherwise I would probably go shorts as pants for 26.2 I don't think I would like unless capris. Hat & gloves for sure, does that hat cover your ears?

It's right on the cut line which makes it a hard decision. Can't cut the pants because they're too expensive. The throw away pants maybe. The hat can cover my ears if I want it to. Though with my ear buds I tend to leave it rolled up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter