To Buy 2042 or not to buy 2042

There's other ways to do this, like in a trust. Maybe worth bringing up when you are doing your estate planning.
I’m not interested in the never ending maintenance fees, so that’s why I declined. He owns like 500,000 points which is a ton of debt without end lol

Personally, I'm glad a lot of folks don't care for SSR. That leaves more good deals for me! BTW-hit me up if you find any $50 point deals, I'll take them all.
I love SSR for relaxed stays that are Disney Springs focused, and loooooove that it’s almost always available at 7 months, also appreciate the lower dues. I bought VB with the intent of using them forever at 7m at OKW or SSR which, in my mind, is close to buying each as a home resort, so it’s a win:win for me! Not $50 per point but darn close!

Personally, I'm glad a lot of folks don't care for SSR. That leaves more good deals for me! BTW-hit me up if you find any $50 point deals, I'll take them all.
I love SSR for relaxed stays that are Disney Springs focused, and loooooove that it’s almost always available at 7 months, also appreciate the lower dues. I bought VB with the intent of using them forever at 7m at OKW or SSR which, in my mind, is close to buying each as a home resort, so it’s a win:win for me! Not $50 per point but darn close!
I think you and I are very in line on this topic. I always see this as prepaid vacation in deluxe accommodation for a way lower cost than rack rates. We aren't buying groceries for just a week, buy what's on sale. It's vacation for years to come! Sorry but I can't buy SSR even if it's $50 per point. We don't love that resort, not our vibe. I don't wanna get "stuck" w/ SSR at 7 months if I can't get the resort I love. Then I have to spend my whole vacation wishing I was staying elsewhere. Nope...no thank you, so not worth it to me.
Totally agree! There’s a DVC for everyone and all have their merits and what speaks to guests. For me it’s AKV & Riviera. Would probably not own them even if gifted and I only had to pay the dues, just not my vibe while others only stay there 🙂

This thread inspired me (or at least helped me justify) picking up a contract at BCV, my favorite of all the DVC properties-- I was looking at point charts for studios/1bedrooms for the week between Christmas and NYE, and I noticed that my home existing home resort (Grand Floridian) costs more than 40 points (almost 25%!) more for the week, and Polynesian (another place I'd consider owning) costs more than 50 points more (almost 30% more!) for an entire week as studios, and the disparity between 1 bedrooms at BCV and VGF is even more dramatic! So, I had previously said I would buy BCV if it dropped below $100 per point, but when I looked at the actual numbers of points required to to stay vs. rack rates, I decided I could go up a bit from there. We came to an agreement with a BCV seller today and assuming nothing goes wrong, I'll be signing the contract and submitting to ROFR tomorrow! :)

This thread inspired me (or at least helped me justify) picking up a contract at BCV, my favorite of all the DVC properties-- I was looking at point charts for studios/1bedrooms for the week between Christmas and NYE, and I noticed that my home existing home resort (Grand Floridian) costs more than 40 points (almost 25%!) more for the week, and Polynesian (another place I'd consider owning) costs more than 50 points more (almost 30% more!) for an entire week as studios, and the disparity between 1 bedrooms at BCV and VGF is even more dramatic! So, I had previously said I would buy BCV if it dropped below $100 per point, but when I looked at the actual numbers of points required to to stay vs. rack rates, I decided I could go up a bit from there. We came to an agreement with a BCV seller today and assuming nothing goes wrong, I'll be signing the contract and submitting to ROFR tomorrow! :)
Where did you find the value to be? I think Polynesian's points chart is grizzly.... I"m curious to see what their new 1 BR and 2 BR look like compared to Bay Lake and GF.

Where did you find the value to be? I think Polynesian's points chart is grizzly.... I"m curious to see what their new 1 BR and 2 BR look like compared to Bay Lake and GF.
If I understand your question correctly, the value is that for any given year (at least the weeks we travel), a BCV point is worth 1.25x to 1.45x the Poly/GF point-- assuming that (1) you actually always stay at BCV and (2) the BCV studios and 1 bedrooms sell out at/before the 7mo mark. So the way I see it is that I could buy Poly for about $145 or BCV for $125 per point, but then the actual value ratio is closer to is Poly at $145 vs. BCV at $95/pt.

This is still objectively not as good as a value as many of the other resorts because of the short remaining life, but the gap is a LOT closer when measured in dollars per point per [points required per] stay. I further justified it to myself because we already have a combination of 325 direct+resale points expiring between 2062-2064, and I don't anticipate needing more points than that once our kids have grown and left the house in 2035, so these are just "extra 20 years of family memories at Disney" points in my mind, and not an investment (whereas I think some of the later expiring properties could potentially be a decent investment at current prices).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter