Tithe or Donate?

etwinchester

DIS Veteran
A quick question for someone who does't attend a church...would donating 10% be just as exceptable as if you tithe 10%?

I'm not talking about just Katrina but in general. I don't attend church regularly as I use to before we had DD. I thought about just donating 10% to different charities/foundations.

What are your thoughts?

Donating and Tithing are the same thing. I believe "tithing" (a "tenth") is an antiquated word for it. It all depends on where you want to see your money go.

Question from an stupid German :cool1:

Where comes it from that you think you have to thith or donate 10% of your gross income to church or charity?

Sounds really strange to me. As I wrote in an other thread here you have to pay 5 or 6% of your income tax (means 0 - 2.4% of your gross) as churchtax as long a you are a member of the catholic or evangelistic church, if not....you dont have to pay a cent.

Greets Renate :wizard:

As a non-attender, I heartily endorse your plan and do something similar myself. Ten percent to charities of your choice seems both humane and wise, since, by giving, you're "investing" in humanity's future.

took

Thank you for your replies.

I would rather give to charities and such since I don't attend a particular church anymore. I figure it should be ok as long as I was giving...

Renate_do said:
Question from an stupid German :cool1:

Not a stupid German!

Where comes it from that you think you have to thith or donate 10% of your gross income to church or charity?

Sounds really strange to me. As I wrote in an other thread here you have to pay 5 or 6% of your income tax (means 0 - 2.4% of your gross) as churchtax as long a you are a member of the catholic or evangelistic church, if not....you dont have to pay a cent.

Greets Renate :wizard:

It comes from the bible, a direct quote. It is a Christian principle. I can't tell you the exact quote however. Also, in the US we don't pay taxes directly to support a church. That comes with "the separation of church and state."

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure who you are asking it should be OK with. You can give any amount you wish...5%, 10% or 50%. Whatever you can afford and want to give. The other thread is really more about biblical tithing, the meaning of, and supporting a church. What you are talking about is donating..and any amount you are comfortable with is fine. I too have charities I pick and choose to give to, aside from our church. I give what and to, what I'm comfortable with.

I would rather give to charities and such since I don't attend a particular church anymore. I figure it should be ok as long as I was giving...

I used to attend a Presbyterian church in a very ritzy area, and the minister would remind everybody every Sunday that they shouldn't give 10% just to the church, but to spread it around to charities as well. They had more money than they needed.

Although, there are some people that believe the bible says this money should only be given to the church.

it comes from the bible, a direct quote. It is a Christian principle. I can't tell you the exact quote however

Well, not exactly. The tradition of the tithe predates christianity. The biblical explanation: When the people of Isreal were divided in "houses", one of those "houses" was the Levites, who were designated to be the priests of Isreal. All the other houses were instructed to give 10% of their annual production to the Levites for their support. There are other refrences to particular biblical characters giving 10% of their possessions as thanks or offerings, but the specific idea of the tithe comes from Moses directions to the houses of Isreal.

Our modern christian church has maintained this biblical injuction to tithe, even though we have cast off nearly all other old testament directions to the Isrealites. I would venture to guess that few christian women sacrifice a small bird at the end of their period, for example. Or, to cite an example more familiar to most of us, follow any of the kosher food laws (which are actually spelled out in the same biblical book as the "tithe").

It is a common misconception that the "tithe" is intended to cover all of one's charitable contributions (from a biblical standpoint). However, there are other rules handed down in the books of Moses that direct the Isrealites to leave food in their fields for the poor, forgive debt at regular intervals and release servants from bondage at regular intervals.

I love my church and find it to be a source of solace and spiritual exploration. We do not give 10% of our earnings to the church-- they get more like 1%. The overwhelming majority of the money my church spends is to maintain the church and the staff. Our staff isn't overpaid, but we have three full time ministers, two secretaries, a business manager, a member care minister, a youth minister and two full time caretakers. Our buildings are beautiful and expensive to maintain. Although we mean well, Only a tiny fraction of what the church raises goes to minister to the poor, sick and oppressed. So, I tend to think of the money I give directly to the church as something similar to....."club dues"...that is, money that goes to support services that are meaningful to me and my family.

The money that we give to The Coalition for the Homeless, Habitat for Humanity, etc, is the money that I think of as being truly charitable. And, they get significantly more than the church.

I do attend church and I think that donating is what's important. I don't believe that you have to give a set amount or that it should go only to a church. I think that what is important is helping those who are less fortunate or are in need.

sk!mom said:
I do attend church and I think that donating is what's important. I don't believe that you have to give a set amount or that it should go only to a church. I think that what is important is helping those who are less fortunate or are in need.

Is this another tithe thread, or is the OP just asking if it's ok if she donates? I'm really not following this. Since she asked for non church people's answers (oops..and I answered anyway, since I really don't know what going to church has to do with her wanting to donate) I assume tithing isn't her interest. If she wants to donate, she can just go ahead and donate. Any percent she wishes.

I do attend church but I don't think 10% has to go to the church even if you belong. I personally believe my donations should go towards God's work. Do I believe that donating to help Katrina victims is God's work? Absolutely! You should do what you feel comfortable doing.

I personally think God or whatever higher power people believe in, appreciates any good deed you do and does not put a focus on the percentage or amount, give what you feel you can financially and thank you for your generosity

(Is this another tithe thread, or is the OP just asking if it's ok if she donates? I'm really not following this. Since she asked for non church people's answers (oops..and I answered anyway, since I really don't know what going to church has to do with her wanting to donate).)

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have used the words "for those who don't attend church"...

Why are you always so critical on these boards. If you don't understand the question, then don't answer.

I was just curious about the tithing (church) or donating. I'm following Dave Ramsey's book and want to start giving more. I was just curious on people's take on giving to the church or donating it instead if you don't attend a church.

If people can't be nice, then I'll just have the thread closed. Lately, everyone wants to nick-pick and critque peoples posts. It's such a shame...

I love the idea of donating 10%. I'm not there yet, but it's a worthy goal. I give to organizations that do work I consider meaningful, such as a local free clinic for the homeless, a rural clinic for low-income people, and the state Labor Party, since they are working for universal healthcare coverage.

there is another thread on this that spoke exhaustively about tithing-why people do it, who does, who doesn't, biblical references etc. It was fascinating and I thought overall it went pretty well about being non judgemental and just giving information. If some knows how to insert that link here it would be great for the OP to see. Like everything else about your money, ultimately it is your decision how you see fit to use it, spend it or give it. Just do whatever you do with a joyful heart. That is what it is all about! :flower:

At my church, it is suggested that we give 5% to the Church, and 5% to charities of our choosing. If you don't go to church, then 10% to your choice of charities seems right. I also follow Dave Ramsey's book.

I'm not sure why you think I'm being critical (I think it's great when people want to share their wealth), and I don't understand why you got personal about this and accused me of always being critical...I really didn't understand what you meant. I always assumed people just gave whatever they wanted to give. I could see if you were asking about tithing (and there is a lengthy thread about that so I didn't think that was it), but I was under the impression you were asking how much you should give..wouldn't that just be up to each individual as to what they could afford and wanted to give? Reread your question..you said nothing about DR.
etwinchester said:
A quick question for someone who does't attend a church...would donating 10% be just as exceptable as if you tithe 10%?

I'm not talking about just Katrina but in general. I don't attend church regularly as I use to before we had DD. I thought about just donating 10% to different charities/foundations.

What are your thoughts?
What was not nice about what I asked? I don't understand why you took that as an attack on you, and why you would attack me. And then you say other people aren't nice..geesh!

etwinchester said:
Why are you always so critical on these boards. If you don't understand the question, then don't answer.

I was just curious about the tithing (church) or donating. I'm following Dave Ramsey's book and want to start giving more. I was just curious on people's take on giving to the church or donating it instead if you don't attend a church.

If people can't be nice, then I'll just have the thread closed. Lately, everyone wants to nick-pick and critque peoples posts. It's such a shame...

MKCP5 said:
Like everything else about your money, ultimately it is your decision how you see fit to use it, spend it or give it. Just do whatever you do with a joyful heart. That is what it is all about! :flower:

What she said..pretty much what I thought I was saying.

I don't think it matters where it goes. Some churches have a lot of money and really don't need it. I'm not attending any church regularly right now so I don't tithe, I just try and give 10% to charity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter