Tips to Keep Kids Healthy Before Trip?

dakotix

DIS Dad #852 from Central Massachusetts
Picture it. It's a few days before your Disney trip and one of your kids gets sick. Aside from the obvious concern for your child, you're also thinking, "crap what are we going to do if he doesn't get better in time?" Anyone have this experience?

What are some strategies that people use to keep their kids healthy before a Disney trip?

No strategy. Just live your life and use common sense. Sure it's something we all worry about, but unless you live in a germ free bubble it's out of your control to some degree. Don't sweat it. If someone gets sick, you deal. We've had kids get sick at WDW many times.

We try to treat colds and viruses like an enemy attack, in a campy, Batman short of way. At first sign of illness, we declare a “red alert” which has a ritual all its own. Red alert means wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Sneeze into your elbow, cough into your shoulder, blow your nose by a trash can and immediately toss the tissue. Then wash your hands. Ask other family members when they last washed their hands.

Spray Lysol on your bags as soon as you come home from school. Cans of Lysol are kept all over the house in plain view to remind people to spray any surfaces touched. This one is funny because none of my guys like doing this so they will go to great lengths not to touch anything with their bare hands. Their antics can be amusing.

It sounds intense, but we treat it like a game. The guys try to catch one another violating the rules of red alert. The next person to get sick while under red alert is teased about their failure to defeat or avoid the enemy.

Last edited:
We try to treat colds and viruses like an enemy attack, in a campy, Batman short of way. At first sign of illness, we declare a “red alert” which has a ritual all its own. Red alert means wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Sneeze into your elbow, cough into your shoulder, blow your nose by a trash can and immediately toss the tissue. Then wash your hands. Ask other family members when they last washed their hands.

Spray Lysol on your bags as soon as you come home from school. Cans of Lysol are kept all over the house in plain view to remind people to spray any surfaces touched. This one is funny because none of my guys like doing this so they will go to great lengths not to touch anything with their bare hands. Their antics can be amusing.

It sounds intense, but we treat it like a game. The guys try to catch one another violating the rules of red alert. The next person to get sick while under red alert is teased about their failure to defeat or avoid the enemy.
the spray Lysol does not work at my house in that I am allergic and would in up in ER/hospital which would not help

the spray Lysol does not work at my house in that I am allergic and would in up in ER/hospital which would not help
Well there are other products that can be used instead of Lysol - vinegar, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide. I have a friend that makes her own using vodka and lemon peel. There are quite a few different formulas out there for homemade disinfectant on Pinterest and the like. Hopefully you can find one that would not send you to the ER.

Well there are other products that can be used instead of Lysol - vinegar, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide. I have a friend that makes her own using vodka and lemon peel. There are quite a few different formulas out there for homemade disinfectant on Pinterest and the like. Hopefully you can find one that would not send you to the ER.
have to have unscented even with homemade. I have to be careful esp with mothers who have to wipe down for their child's allergy. had one who didn't care her child came before mine. then was unhappy while we waited for meds to clear me for the flight about 45 minutes. which is the main reason I don't fly unless I have no other choice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!