tips/gratuities

oh please! Really!

Indeed.
If you want to get the most out of a place and be a responsible tourist, you abide by local customs (assuming its within your own moral realm). In my experience, in Asia, meat is just meat anyway, so I suggest that poster doesn't visit...

I suggest those who dislike tipping avoid European cities where you have to tip when you pee :thumbsup2

Azza1987 said:
I have a friend who bartends in NY, and her wage slip at the end of the month says $0! She gets nothing in the form of a salary from her employers, and makes all her money in tips. Knowing this makes has ensure I allowed the following in our budget,

4 Days in NYC -
$3 tip per round of drinks (I think this would be about $50 total)
$20-25 evening meal tip (2 people, approx $100-$125 meal) = $100
(We'll eat breakfast at the apartment and just get snacks for lunch)

WDW -

$3 Per day Mousekeeping (8 nights = $24)
$3 tip per drinks round (2 people, 3-4 drinks per night, 3-4 nights drinking = $50)
$20-$25 evening TS meal tip (2 people, approx $100-$125 meal) = $200.
Again we'll probably QS Breakfast and Snack during the day, we're on DDP!
Misc tips (just in case! = $40).

= $464 total for our 12 night holiday.

Its alot out of my budget of $3000. However I wouldn't dare not follow their etiquette! When in Rome..... and all that! I knew about USA's tipping culture before I even booked the trip, so I've factored in $500 extra to what I was going to take just to cover off the tips. Its alot, but I couldn't bear the thought of some young male/female not making rent because us tourists cant be bothered to fall in line!

Thanks for posting, we are in NYC in 5 weeks so this is great info :)

I budget £400 for tips on a Disney trip.

This is why I hate the tipping culture in the US. Grumpy Yorkshireman, sure... but 18-20% is expected. I'm not calling you cheap, Scooby but £400 is probably a conservative estimate.

It just bugs me. That being said I usually do about 10% here in UK if it is good.

Oh - I dunno... :rolleyes2

*wanders off muttering to self and not sure why this winds him up so much*

This is why I hate the tipping culture in the US. Grumpy Yorkshireman, sure... but 18-20% is expected. I'm not calling you cheap, Scooby but £400 is probably a conservative estimate.

It just bugs me. That being said I usually do about 10% here in UK if it is good.

By the way - I do pay the tip. Usually within guidelines. I just do as I would here - bit less if I've had poor service... Which DID happen once but - that's life.

EpicKevin said:

I always tip 20%. 15% at buffets minimum. Have been to WDW 5 times in 7 years. £400 is about what it costs us. I am absolutely not cheap. I spent 5 years at Uni waiting tables.

I always tip 20%. 15% at buffets minimum. Have been to WDW 5 times in 7 years. £400 is about what it costs us. I am absolutely not cheap. I spent 5 years at Uni waiting tables.

Like I say: I wasn't calling you cheap!! Promise!! :flower3:

ok so i need a tips budgets its 18-20% table meal and 15% or a buffet

what if you are at a bar and drinking soft drinks are you expected to tip 1$ then

also at disney restaurants are the tips added to the bill automatically? do i have to calculate it myself and then just add it on ??

ok so i need a tips budgets its 18-20% table meal and 15% or a buffet

what if you are at a bar and drinking soft drinks are you expected to tip 1$ then

also at disney restaurants are the tips added to the bill automatically? do i have to calculate it myself and then just add it on ??

It's automatically added for parties of 6 or more other wise the put suggested amounts of 18% & 20% at the bottom of the check :thumbsup2

wilma-bride said:
Yes, if you are at a bar, even if you are drinking soft drinks, you should still tip the bartender.

Do you just leave the $1 on the bar or do they add it to the price automatically?

wow after reading this i feel aweful .. been going to disney world and disney parks .. for years disneyworld and anheihm and always thought you were not meant to tip ?

Ofcause outside I always do .. but not in the parks

so where would you not tip ... cast members who have been mega helpful ? fast food over the counter places ?

thanks

Do you just leave the $1 on the bar or do they add it to the price automatically?
I have only once in Disney had an auto tip at a bar, it was a DISmeet at OKW, the barman said because there were over 6 of us he added 18% tip.
All other times I just left what I wanted.
wow after reading this i feel aweful .. been going to disney world and disney parks .. for years disneyworld and anheihm and always thought you were not meant to tip ?

so where would you not tip ... cast members who have been mega helpful ? fast food over the counter places ?

thanks

No its not required to tip CM's or fast food places.

No its not required to tip CM's or fast food places.

We usually tip at WPE since they bring your food to you and we have also had them offer to refill our drinks too. So, although it's a counter service place, we tend to tip because it's got an element of service too.

We usually tip at WPE since they bring your food to you and we have also had them offer to refill our drinks too. So, although it's a counter service place, we tend to tip because it's got an element of service too.

Correct, I forget about it being CS, sort of halfway between, we usually leave $5 in there.

minimousefan said:

thanks

Hi I'm just mega curious at why you didn't think you had to tip anywhere in Disney world or Disney land??
Did you read/hear that you didn't have to? I'm guessing you have never been a party of 6 or more then lol,
I was gutted when we became a party of 6 as we do at least 1 TS a day sometimes two! Next trip we may not be taking my mum so that will be cheaper haha

Hi I'm just mega curious at why you didn't think you had to tip anywhere in Disney world or Disney land??
Did you read/hear that you didn't have to? I'm guessing you have never been a party of 6 or more then lol,
I was gutted when we became a party of 6 as we do at least 1 TS a day sometimes two! Next trip we may not be taking my mum so that will be cheaper haha

I assume minimousefan means regular cast members being helpful in parks and counter service meals which you don't tip.
We have been a party of 6 last twice on DDP, as a family of 3 we sometimes tipped less, sometimes more so at 18% its not much different for us.
Last year every place we ate at added 18% except Beaches and Cream, she left it upto us to decide, her service was exceptional so we left 25%, they might gain from some with 18% auto tip but lose on others. I know you can add more but its not something I would do, if they set it at 18% then thats what they get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!