Tips for Diabetics and dining

rpk1951

DIS Veteran
My wife is recently diagnosed as a diabetic. We have our first trip to Disney in Oct since the news. She is worried about finding things she will be able to eat. We have table service reservations each night. She is also bummed that this was to be our first food and wine trip. I am looking for any tips, guidance, etc to help her with the transition and still have a great time. The news is about two days old for her.

She should be able to eat all the meats and green veggies she wants. Just try to stay clear of bread and potatoes. Most TS restaurants have a "no sugar added" option for desserts. They still have carbs so she'll have to still watch, but they are usually pretty good.

Also if she is insulin dependent, the 1st aide stations will store insulin for you

I am sure that by the time you get to WDW your wife will have had a few sessions with a Diabetes Educator and/or a dietician. That will help her immensely in feeling confident in making menu selections. I would also recommend that you check out the disABILITIES board for more information about dining at WDW with Diabetes. Review the menus at allears.net so that you are familiar with the offerings at each of the restaurants you will eat at. And don't forget that you can ask for most item "plain"- without sauces, dressings, gravy etc.

Disney is phenomenal when it comes to dietary restrictions! At the TS locations, mention to the waitstaff that you wife is diabetic, and they will work with you (and the kitchen staff) to alter the choices to best suit her. Often, they'll give you the option of fresh fruit versus dessert and vegetables instead of a baked potato.

My mom is also diabetic, and at the CS restaurants, she swaps the dessert for the fruit or veggies that are offered. Honestly, I often do this too because I don't find the CS desserts worth the calories! ;)

Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic?

I'm a Type 1, and have been to Food and Wine for the past few years, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. F&W is actually a pretty good time because the portion sizes at the booths are small, so I am, at worst, getting a few grams of carbs in a dish (probably less than 15g most places) as opposed to getting 75g or so in a full meal. Plus, they're spread out over a longer time period, so it's not all hitting my system at once.

Another thing: You are going to be doing a lot more walking than you probably usually do, so you are getting more exercise and burning more calories, which means that your wife will need to adjust medication, if she is taking any.

My general rule is that fewer carbs are better, but 0 carbs is not as much fun, so I plan when I'm going to get those carbs. So, instead of getting the lobster roll with all that roll, I'd get the lobster claw cuddler. Then I'd get baklava later. Not an even trade, but I'd be better off than I would be if I'd gotten both carb-laden things.

Also, just in general, beware of the diabetic or sugar-free options for desserts. These can still have a lot of carbs. Sometimes even more than an equivalent sugar-full option. I just ran into this looking at salt-water taffy recently, though not at WDW.

Diabetes doesn't destroy your ability to enjoy WDW, and doesn't even destroy your ability to enjoy food at WDW. You may need to prioritize more than if you didn't have to worry as much about the content of the food, but your planning will pay off in better health and fewer feelings of guilt. At least, that's how it works for me.

I'm happy to answer any questions you or your wife have.

we just returned in May from a visit to the HOUSE OF THE MOUSE and I ate pretty much what I did before I got diagnosed with type 11...I do not do meds at all...trying hard to do it on diet and exercise...I walked off alot of my food and got dizzy a few times...so make sure you have your snacks in between your meals...and take some peanut butter crackers with you ...DRINK DRINK DRINK...loads of liquids...
I did try to stay away from the french fries that are popular with most counter service meals...just had a good time and I did try to behave myself..
Have fun..
ALSO remember that sugar free does not automatically mean that it is good for you..some sugar free items ahve more carbs than we are supposed to have..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter