• Pay extra tips for all

Votes: 95 25.9%
  • Choose not to respond

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Tip standard for head server and increase the others

Votes: 24 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, on the Wish, we bought one of the Cooler bags at the station on deck. The guy literally just handed us the bag. No alcohol in it. And we had to pay a 18% tip for that. I think that was a bit much... Not as bad for the $900 tip you have to pay if you buy the Hyperspace Lounge $5,000 drink... (we didn't)

But to your point. We always tip standard, then add some $$ to crew that we think do an exceptional job.

That said, having been on a couple Virgin cruises now, I really, really like their system of all "tipping" being included in the fare. You buy a drink, there is no "tip line" at the bottom of the slip. It's already factored into the price of the drink. We talked with the crew a bit (they are allowed to eat in the "Galley", which is kind of their buffet-type area, though it's more a food court), and a number of them had come from DCL. Also a lot from Princess, Celebrity and Royal. They all wanted to talk about how much better they liked working at VV. First, they are paid quite a bit more (they didn't say how much) on their base rate, so essentially, your "tipping" is included in the cruise fare and you don't have to worry about it. Another thing they said, and I didn't really think about this, is that they get free WiFi. I didn't realize they had to pay for Wifi on other lines, but the people we would talk to would say how much they enjoyed being able to FaceTime/Skype their families everyday and how much better they felt being able to do that. They also appreciated that VV lets them interact with guests to a much greater degree than other lines (like being able to eat and sit with guests in the Galley).
DCL automatically adds in the tip and then they add a line for you to leave more.

Saving money dining in Europe? Don’t they charge a service fee at restaurants - and it is printed on the ticket? Substantial enough to actually pay the workers? I thought that was the big difference between US and Europe - and we are the suckers for having to decide how much guilt we feel compel to compensate for.

As for Europeans not tipping in the US - it goes both ways. We take our rituals with us when visiting and think tipping is normal. They don’t tip at home and do the same on vacation. I am sure some won’t tip for the principal, too.
The Euro and Dollar are on par. Prices in restaurants were about the same. I found eating out in Europe to be a little less than dining at home right now. London was expensive inflation is bonkers there too.

I've not sailed on Disney, but have on Carnival, RCCL, NCL and Princess. On the last few cruises we've had non-assigned dining and the alcohol package, so we didn't get to know our servers (different ones each meal) but we did always find a favorite bar. We tip the standard tip and then extra for our room steward and our favorite bartenders.

Saving money dining in Europe? Don’t they charge a service fee at restaurants - and it is printed on the ticket? Substantial enough to actually pay the workers? I thought that was the big difference between US and Europe - and we are the suckers for having to decide how much guilt we feel compel to compensate for.

As for Europeans not tipping in the US - it goes both ways. We take our rituals with us when visiting and think tipping is normal. They don’t tip at home and do the same on vacation. I am sure some won’t tip for the principal, too.
I am European, live in Scotland and we dont charge a service fee, Europe is an entire continent and even within that people and restaurants in same towns and cities may have different systems. Some restaurants the staff dont see the tips, yes they get a minimum wage that should be above a certain standard.
Who said we dont tip in the US? I generally tip around 20% when I visit the states, if the food and service is good, if its exceptional they get more. I dont particularly want to be fawned over or bothered when im in a restaurant, so often find the american false/overly friendly desperate for a tip approach to service to be very off putting, but i understand why staff feel they need to do it because they rely on their tips to top up what would be illegal wage practices in the rest of the developed world. I tip at home and abroad and find your blanket assertion that we dont to be quite ignorant.

I am European, live in Scotland and we dont charge a service fee, Europe is an entire continent and even within that people and restaurants in same towns and cities may have different systems. Some restaurants the staff dont see the tips, yes they get a minimum wage that should be above a certain standard.
Who said we dont tip in the US? I generally tip around 20% when I visit the states, if the food and service is good, if its exceptional they get more. I dont particularly want to be fawned over or bothered when im in a restaurant, so often find the american false/overly friendly desperate for a tip approach to service to be very off putting, but i understand why staff feel they need to do it because they rely on their tips to top up what would be illegal wage practices in the rest of the developed world. I tip at home and abroad and find your blanket assertion that we dont to be quite ignorant.

I have re-read my sentence and it really did not convey what I meant. But, yes, I believe there are some travelers from anywhere in the world who just apply their rituals wherever they are - be it from unknowing or not caring to change. Hopefully, they will be kindly guided as to what is expected in new situations. Ignorance is not necessarily malicious; it may be a lack of exposure to information. Mine does come through at times and I hope I will be gently instructed.

I will admit that I erroneously lump together Western Europe regarding tipping customs. I have not been to most of the area, but typically research places visit. Obviously, I have not been to Scotland.

This could have been a nice teaching moment to enlighten me (and probably others). Forums are a great place for friendly exchanges and enrichment.

I am sorry if you felt slighted.

If I thought any European didn’t tip while visiting the US, I would not have thought poorly of them - I would have thought it just was not their custom. And I am not concerned with other’s tipping, as I am not a recipient dependent on it for my financial support.

One of them (John, I think) memorized everyone's name, and called us by name every time we passed by. It was really quite impressive.

I definitely remember John!

He was on our Christmas cruise on the Wonder last year. If I remember, he said he was from the Philippines. The first night my daughter and I were up near the pool area late at night, and he stopped by, greeted us, and we talked for about 5 minutes. Next time he saw me, I was with my wife and he remembered my name, and asked how my daughter was, met my wife and found we had another daughter. After that, he knew all of us by name (including my other daughter he met later). Then I discovered it wasn't just us, but it seemed like every person who walked by he was greeting by name. I know it was probably still not that many people, but it was certainly a lot. Seriously impressive, and I can't believe he was "just" helping out on the deck.

Near the end of the cruise we actually talked with him a little longer and asked how he could learn so many people's names so quickly - he told us that he would write down everyone's name and some notes in a little notepad when he met them, and then he would study them in his cabin each night.

And, back to the theme of this thread - John was the first person we mentioned on our comment card. I don't know that there was any way to "tip" him otherwise, but I hope mentioning him on the comment card gave him some benefit.

We tip extra for all. But vary the amount.

I wish they would eliminate the tipping all together. Pay your people a decent wage and not require them to exist on the generosity of the guests.

In over 40 years of traveling for work, I have experienced non-tipping hotels, valet and restaurants - uniformly the best service has come at those establishments. Good people, well trained and supported by management who are paid appropriately can deliver consistent superior service without tips.

I definitely remember John!

He was on our Christmas cruise on the Wonder last year. If I remember, he said he was from the Philippines. The first night my daughter and I were up near the pool area late at night, and he stopped by, greeted us, and we talked for about 5 minutes. Next time he saw me, I was with my wife and he remembered my name, and asked how my daughter was, met my wife and found we had another daughter. After that, he knew all of us by name (including my other daughter he met later). Then I discovered it wasn't just us, but it seemed like every person who walked by he was greeting by name. I know it was probably still not that many people, but it was certainly a lot. Seriously impressive, and I can't believe he was "just" helping out on the deck.

Near the end of the cruise we actually talked with him a little longer and asked how he could learn so many people's names so quickly - he told us that he would write down everyone's name and some notes in a little notepad when he met them, and then he would study them in his cabin each night.

And, back to the theme of this thread - John was the first person we mentioned on our comment card. I don't know that there was any way to "tip" him otherwise, but I hope mentioning him on the comment card gave him some benefit.
That is an amazing skill to have, to be able to remember and recall people like that. My husband was called for jury duty one year and he said that one of the lawyers was like that, when everyone went around and stated their name and occupation, when he got around to talking to you, he remembered everyone. And that was about 30 people. I am impressed because I have name aphasia, I can not remember anyone's name to save my life. Even if I work with someone for years, there are times that I will forget their names. It is beyond frustrating.

That is an amazing skill to have, to be able to remember and recall people like that. My husband was called for jury duty one year and he said that one of the lawyers was like that, when everyone went around and stated their name and occupation, when he got around to talking to you, he remembered everyone. And that was about 30 people. I am impressed because I have name aphasia, I can not remember anyone's name to save my life. Even if I work with someone for year, there are times that I will forget their names. It is beyond frustrating.

Wow, what an interesting strategy to get the jury to subconsciously like you.

, I can not remember anyone's name to save my life. Even if I work with someone for years, there are times that I will forget their names. It is beyond frustrating.
This is also me. I'll have a full blown convo with someone, walk away, and have NO idea what their name was. I'm like...this is just my brain...now I just ask people to remind me of their name. I know I know them....

Our first cruise was not a good experience service-wise so we left the standard tip. The next 4 cruises were much better. We always tip more but sometimes not as much as we anticipated depending on service.

We tip extra for all. But vary the amount.

I wish they would eliminate the tipping all together. Pay your people a decent wage and not require them to exist on the generosity of the guests.

In over 40 years of traveling for work, I have experienced non-tipping hotels, valet and restaurants - uniformly the best service has come at those establishments. Good people, well trained and supported by management who are paid appropriately can deliver consistent superior service without tips
Agree! I have also traveled all over and I cannot say that the US tipping systems guarentees better service. Many restaurants have a different system in the US too. Basically overstaffed.. Hostess, bus boyers, server who takes orders and runners who bring orders.. ( most annoying is can you please stop coming every 5 minutes to refill my water that is not empty and tastes like chlorine anyways). ALL of these people are dependent on tips.. crazy isnt it. It's almost like begging.. the more water they bring or the lower they kneel to look you in your eyes to take your order.... it does freak me out at times... This is why when we travel to the US we avoid dining with service... Just not worth it and overpriced right now..

Agree! I have also traveled all over and I cannot say that the US tipping systems guarentees better service. Many restaurants have a different system in the US too. Basically overstaffed.. Hostess, bus boyers, server who takes orders and runners who bring orders.. ( most annoying is can you please stop coming every 5 minutes to refill my water that is not empty and tastes like chlorine anyways). ALL of these people are dependent on tips.. crazy isnt it. It's almost like begging.. the more water they bring or the lower they kneel to look you in your eyes to take your order.... it does freak me out at times... This is why when we travel to the US we avoid dining with service... Just not worth it and overpriced right now..
Absolutely agree! Ive taken to just telling wait staff in the states that it’s alright, they dont need to keep checking and if we need something we’ll give them a nod. They still get a good tip!haha.

Is there an option for "I tip what I want and these endless posts about tipping on discussion forums seem to pop up every week and are becoming tireless"

These posts always end with someone getting upset.

People who choose to work in a tipped position know what they are signing up for. "Most" people know that tips are charged on the cruise. There are some people who choose not to pay tips for countless reasons - but that's their decision. It's not for other cruisers or people on discussion forums to force thier beliefs.

I worked as a server onboard. I worked hard for my tips. I didnt feel the need to wax lyrical about how my family are at home or how people should be tipping extra. Infact I find it quite awkward when people discuss tips. It's more than simple to understand on the final night when the envelopes are on your bed - with a letter and guidelines.

Trust me when I say, my years working on cruise ships were some of the best paychecks I ever got - not from the cruise company, but in tips. When I was recruited it was made more than clear what the cruise line would pay. Disney assured us we would make a certain amount per month in tips, if for any reason this amount wasn't made they would pay the difference - of course you'd have to explain why you didn't make the amount etc. I never once fell below the guaranteed amount.

Yes the work is hard, yes the service is great and worthy if a tip. But its subjective and cultural. Mich like the crews take on the food in the crew mess that is served :)

Wow, overstaffed is not happening currently in many parts of the U.S. They can't find the bare minimum staff and haven't for at least a year. A number of restaurants here are now open limited hours, like 2 pm to 8 pm, and closed on Mondays and Tuesdays because they don't have the staff. The job situation is crazy. I guess according to the latest jobs report, there are two vacant jobs for every unemployed person.

Are you referring to John on the Wonder, A young Asian guy working the drink stations, who also would sing Eric Clapton?? We had him on the Wonder to HAwaii and he was a hit! I believe somebody reported he was promoted to MDR now.
John was fabulous!!!!! Always a warm greeting whenever we would venture by the drink station. We specifically sung his praises in our comment card.

MJ

John was fabulous!!!!! Always a warm greeting whenever we would venture by the drink station. We specifically sung his praises in our comment card.

MJ
I found him on my phone! I hope we are all talking about the same guy!

Attachments

• E9C0079A-4656-43AF-B34C-104026B2FB3E.jpeg
    E9C0079A-4656-43AF-B34C-104026B2FB3E.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter