• Choose not to respond

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Tip standard for head server and increase the others

Votes: 24 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justacruiser

Military Veteran
So we have now taken quite a few Disney Cruises and I was pondering your rule for tipping. Should be an interesting poll.

We almost always increase the tips as we feel that overall it’s very low compared to the work they give us directly and in relation to the cost of the cruise-

We did the math one night and it worked out to about a 10% tip per night based on a lowballed “cost” of dinner.

We typically leave ‘automatic grat’ always (assuming if we had an reason to withhold Guest Services would’ve been involved already) and add anywhere from $20 to doubling/tripling of auto-grat where impressed.

The most we’ve added was $100 to our main server who was amazing.

Sorry new to this - so there’s a tip amount that’s automatically added to… what exactly? And then the pill is how you may deviate or add to that automatic tip?

Chose standard for some and increase for others. We always increase for our room attendant, server, and assistant server. They work really hard and we think they deserve more. The wild card for us is the head server. We’ve been on a few cruises where he/she barely acknowledged us during the cruise, so we just left the standard tip on those.

Sorry new to this - so there’s a tip amount that’s automatically added to… what exactly? And then the pill is how you may deviate or add to that automatic tip?
The standard tip that they deduct from your account is $14.50 per person/per night. That is split between your stateroom host, and all 3 servers in varying amounts. Many add more to that. You can either hand them cash or have more added to your account. I am editing to say that if you purchase anything, like drinks, they add 18% to that total.

On cruise lines with automatic tipping, I have always added some cash that I gave to the individuals because the service they provided deserved it.
I also tipped on my first HAL cruise, back in 2002 when their policy was "no tips are expected or required". Their marketing at the time was their paid their staff more than other lines so tips weren't necessary.
I did not tip on my cruise on Paquet cruise line in 1980 because anyone caught accepting a tip was subject to termination. But it was a French cruise line operating under French customs.

I always increase the tips for all because we've always gotten great service. I usually add it by going to GS, but on occasion have gone the cash route. From what I've heard, they prefer having it in their accounts. Of course for the bar tenders/waiters it's always added to the tab.

Service has always been so outstanding that I've added a cash tip to all at the end of the cruise. For example, head waiter (head of house - whatever that's called) arranged for a specific cheese and plain yogurt to be available for my oldest every morning for breakfast. Assistant waiter made sure there was a bowl of cherries waiting for both girls each night at dinner.

If the service is average, we leave it as expected. When it's extra special, we add an extra $20 to those people. On our WBPC cruise earlier this year we gave everyone an extra $50. It was DCL cruise #25 and hands down our best cruise ever. We also gave $20 tips to the 2 CMs working at the drink station. They had such great personalities; it was always a pleasure to see them. One of them (John, I think) memorized everyone's name, and called us by name every time we passed by. It was really quite impressive.
While I was at GS asking to increase our tips, another family who sat near us at dinner, was at the GS counter next to me increasing their tips as well. It was one big happy cruise!

I used to think getting cash in an envelope is better/quicker for the CMs but then once I learned how much DCL uses recognition/compliments from guests as part of their overall employee evaluation, we switched to going to GS to have them increased.
Why keep it a secret?

The standard tip that they deduct from your account is $14.50 per person/per night. That is split between your stateroom host, and all 3 servers in varying amounts. Many add more to that. You can either hand them cash or have more added to your account. I am editing to say that if you purchase anything, like drinks, they add 18% to that total.
Thanks so much for this. Makes sense now!

If the service is average, we leave it as expected. When it's extra special, we add an extra $20 to those people. On our WBPC cruise earlier this year we gave everyone an extra $50. It was DCL cruise #25 and hands down our best cruise ever. We also gave $20 tips to the 2 CMs working at the drink station. They had such great personalities; it was always a pleasure to see them. One of them (John, I think) memorized everyone's name, and called us by name every time we passed by. It was really quite impressive.
While I was at GS asking to increase our tips, another family who sat near us at dinner, was at the GS counter next to me increasing their tips as well. It was one big happy cruise!

I used to think getting cash in an envelope is better/quicker for the CMs but then once I learned how much DCL uses recognition/compliments from guests as part of their overall employee evaluation, we switched to going to GS to have them increased.
Why keep it a secret?
Are you referring to John on the Wonder, A young Asian guy working the drink stations, who also would sing Eric Clapton?? We had him on the Wonder to HAwaii and he was a hit! I believe somebody reported he was promoted to MDR now.

On shorter cruises 5 nights or shorter we always gave an extra 20 each ( head server maybe 10 or nothing) But on our last cruise, 11 nights and 2 staterooms our family gave the server, assistt.., host 100 per person as a total for the 2 rooms and the head 30..but they were great and our host went and got double duvets and put up with our family dynamics on having time to make the rooms. for us that was the most we ever gave...

Are you referring to John on the Wonder, A young Asian guy working the drink stations, who also would sing Eric Clapton?? We had him on the Wonder to HAwaii and he was a hit! I believe somebody reported he was promoted to MDR now.
Yes, but I never heard him sing Eric Clapton. I would have enjoyed that. I'm glad to hear he's been promoted.

I start off by prepaying the standard tips. From there I pay extra based on the service I receive. I have had some great service, and yes I have had some not-so-great service with DCL. I hear about how great the servers are, but on our cruise on the Fantasy in 2019 they were so terrible (no exaggeration), that we decided and were able to get another seating into Palo when someone canceled, and we also booked a second reservation at Remy and never went back to the MDR. The servers in those restaurants were fantastic and were tipped very well. Our cabin steward was fantastic and personally tipped him well for a great job. As for our MDR serving team; they were tipped very fairly with the pre-payed standard tip.

We prepay the standard tips before we leave then don't worry about tipping anymore. I can only think of 1 time in our 6 Disney cruises that we gave our stateroom host a $20 bill. My son wet the bed and I felt really really bad she had to change the sheets and ask for a new mattress to be brought in.

I selected pay standard for some and increase for others. The only individual who may sometimes get the standard tip is the head server, and it just entirely depends on if we end up interacting with them much. If we do, I'll add extra to that one too.

Why keep it a secret?
I have heard several people say that they think that handing them cash is what is preferred by the crew, so that is why they do that. But I have also heard that the crew would rather have it on their account, since it is easier for them to send that money back home. What are they going to do with all of that American money? Either way, I am sure that they are happy just getting the money. You can also recognize the cast members through guest serves and pay them cash.

This is not like tipping at a restaurant; it’s not done at each time of service when dining.

The auto-gratuities can be paid when you pay for your cruise or done through your onboard account. Toward the end of the cruise, you will get a printout (with tear-off slips) that shows the names of your dining room team (server, assistant server, dining room manager) and room steward and the recommended tip. You can let those amounts be processed or you can modify them with guest services.

As stated, you can use little envelopes provided to give these workers cash, the slips provided or a combination of the two. Or you can just let them receive the money with no face-to-face exchange (my personality’s preference).

All drinks that have a fee will have an auto-gratuity of 18% on the bill. And a line to add additional tip.

Many cruise lines (especially those frequented by Americans) use gratuities as a substantial portion of pay for their workers (not officers). Operating under the flag and laws of other countries, they are not subject to US Labor laws. Disney ships are flagged under the Bahamas. I believe tipping is treated differently for guests from the UK and Europe, based on comments read on forums. They also have different passenger rights.

The daily rate of $14.50 to cover the 4 positions was a $1 increase effective in July 2022.

On some cruise lines, tips are pooled and divided among workers to include behind-the-scenes employees.

You will see your dining room servers working on Castaway Cay, too. Not just at dinner at night. Probably Cabanas buffet for breakfast and lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter