Tipping Adventure Guides

hushupu

Mouseketeer
What is a reasonable amount to tip guides. We will be a party of 4 on a 7 night 8 day trip not sure were yet we are still in the planning stages but it will be one of the European adventures. I am assuming tipping is done at the end of the trip.

What is a reasonable amount to tip guides. We will be a party of 4 on a 7 night 8 day trip not sure were yet we are still in the planning stages but it will be one of the European adventures. I am assuming tipping is done at the end of the trip.

You will receive a booklet and within is a page on "Gratuities". Here is the information from that booklet:

It is a suggestion and they note:

"Please note that this is for each member of your traveling party, per Adventure Guide, per day.

Per Adult/child/per Adventure Guide/Per Day = $5-9 USD

Example:
-For a 6-day adventure the Adventure Guide gratuity per Guest, per Adventure Guide $30-54 USD

-A family of 4 for a 6-day adventure: $120-216 USD per Adventure Guide. For two guides, this is a total of $240-432 USD

All other gratuities are taken care of on your behalf for all services included in the itinerary. There is no need for you to worry about tipping the bellmen, housekeepers, waiters, drivers, and local experts"

Most tipped them the evening of the "goodbye" dinner, or at breakfast on the final day.

For our two experiences, our Guides went out-of-their-way, and then some, for all of us. So, I tipped a little more.

I hope that helps a little bit in your planning. This information was from my Backstage Magic information. If you decide to go, have a great trip! I can't say enough good things about my experiences!!!

Do you tip cash? I really hate to carry $250 (or whatever) around for the whole trip in addition to the cash that we're already taking.

(Would traveler's checks or personal checks be ok?)

Do you tip cash? I really hate to carry $250 (or whatever) around for the whole trip in addition to the cash that we're already taking.

Yes, we did tip in cash on both trips. I was worried about that myself. We kept the $$$ in a separate envelope and locked it within the safe in our rooms. They did such a great job, that I had extra cash and gave it to them. But, that is a great question on the traveler's checks. There is nothing within my booklets that say anything about that other than "Adventure Guides will accept U.S. dollars". No other info that I can see. I know someone will respond within this chat on that. Or, maybe give ABD a call? The Cast Members are very friendly will assist in any way.

Yes, we did tip in cash on both trips. I was worried about that myself. We kept the $$$ in a separate envelope and locked it within the safe in our rooms. They did such a great job, that I had extra cash and gave it to them. But, that is a great question on the traveler's checks. There is nothing within my booklets that say anything about that other than "Adventure Guides will accept U.S. dollars". No other info that I can see. I know someone will respond within this chat on that. Or, maybe give ABD a call? The Cast Members are very friendly will assist in any way.

We tipped cash too and also kept it locked in the hotel safe when we could. I think I did this on our first trip in 2007 because there were some posts on the board about issues with travelers checks, like there was some fee associated with cashing them or something like that. I don't remember exactly what it was and it may have been only on overseas trips. Sorry, that's not very helpful, but if you do a search you might find some related posts. Carrying cash worked out okay the first time, so we did it last year too.

I tipped in cash as well, but I didn't carry it I used a cash machine the night I was going to give the tips. I wouldn't give a personal check or travellers check as it might be difficult for the guide to cash. They might not be from the area and not have a bank account. I know one of my guides last year lived in CA and was going to do the Quest for the West and then the Spirit of America and would have been away from home for a while and wouldn't be able to cash a check.

We carried travelers checks with us for tips and had a hard time cashing them at the hotels.We did a Tozzie and used the ATM the night of the dinner.Somewhere I read or saw something about tipping with Traveler checks when we got back and how it was not a good idea.Next month I will use cash that I bring with or get at an ATM. Have Fun :banana: I had alittle cash left over from the trip that I gave to the guides because they did such an outstanding job.If you get Maria and Kim as guides they were the best,I would go with them again anywere no doubt about it no question

We took money out of the ATM while still in Dublin. Then we gave it to them on the last night after dinner. We definitely tipped the max suggested amount plus some. They really do deserve it. :teacher:

On my upcoming trip, though, I am thinking a carry $$ so I will have it already.

We tipped in cash as well. I just carried it in a pocket in my purse. I never felt like it was a risk on either ABD. (I use the PacSafe purses that are "theft resistant" when we travel.) We just never wanted to take a chance on not having the cash on the last night. Though, they do tend to tell you when you are at your last stop with an ATM. One tip we got from these boards was to bring our own thank you cards to put the money in. On both trips, the guides reacted very positively to that and were very appreciative of the extra touch.

Just to let everyone know, I've been on two Adventures. The Mid-Atlantic and the Hollywood Family Vacation. Both times I tipped with travelers' checks. And both times that was acceptable. Which is to the good, as I don't like to carry that much tip money around as cash.

We tipped in cash as well. I just carried it in a pocket in my purse. I never felt like it was a risk on either ABD. (I use the PacSafe purses that are "theft resistant" when we travel.) We just never wanted to take a chance on not having the cash on the last night. Though, they do tend to tell you when you are at your last stop with an ATM. One tip we got from these boards was to bring our own thank you cards to put the money in. On both trips, the guides reacted very positively to that and were very appreciative of the extra touch.

That is a great idea!!!! :)

Brought cash, used some of it, supplemented with Euro's that we wanted/needed to get rid of at the end of our trip. t worked out well.

I was surprised and appalled at how many people, on our most recent AbD trip, that never heard of tipping the guides, never flipped through the book with the envelopes, or were just planning on a nominal $20 per guide. The tipping *is* expensive, but it is all a part, of the cost, of a nice vacation. You can buy souvenirs for everyone on your street but you can't tip those who made it possible??? Come on people....... (Not any of you, of course, you are smarter than that!!)

Just to let everyone know, I've been on two Adventures. The Mid-Atlantic and the Hollywood Family Vacation. Both times I tipped with travelers' checks. And both times that was acceptable. Which is to the good, as I don't like to carry that much tip money around as cash.

I would think that travelers checks may be fine in the US, but I know in Italy the guides had indicated to us that they were hard to cash in Italy. They had indicated this to us in the beginning of the trip when someone had asked about cashing some in.
Since the dollar is not worth as much as the Euro and apparently there is a fee for the bank or merchant travelers checks just are not accepted like they were years ago.
Now if you had travelers checks in Euros they might be okay.
We tipped cash, I put the money in a separate envelope at the beginning of the trip. At the end of the trip I took the envelopes out of the booklet they gave us and exchanged some of dollars for Euros I had left over. This way they were getting a bit more with the Euro being worth more than the dollar and I had cash for when we got home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter