Time to ask a job related question....

Cindy B

<font color=blue>Have taken some furniture polish
I hate making job decisions, it seems so scary!

I have two scenarios which I need to make a decision by FRIDAY, yes this FRIDAY. So I am asking the all knowing CB for answers!

1) My current position at the college is ten hours a week. Not great in the $ department, but the flexibility is nice. There is a proposal which would bring me to about 25 hours a week, but I would still have to pay two days of extended care, and then have to work out a camp/other sitting arrangements for the summer, holidays, teachers in service days, etc. . ( I just finished this and that was a tricky situation)

2) The middle school in my childrens district asked me to be a teachers aide. They rearranged the hours so I could come as the kids get on the bus, and then get off at 3 pm. This would be a 30 hour a week job. I would have to pay extended day for my daughter for the week. BUT I would have all the summers off, and the schools in the district would follow the same days for in service, holidays, etc.

There are 5 days in the school year where kindergarteners (My DD is one) are off different days than the regular grades, but my DH has already said he would help with taking a day off/using sick days, etc...

The middle school pay is about 20 cents less an hour than the college, but the hours are more (6 hours a day versus 2).

What would you do?

I think I'd go with #2. It sounds like it would work out better for summer time and next year when your DD is in school all day the schedule would be even better.

Option #2. :)

It just seems easier from a child care standpoint and overall you will be making more money, plus you get the same time off as your kids.

Good luck deciding!

Ha Jason, door number 3 is the unemployment line, so don't think that is an option!

Awww, take the TA job Cindy! You'll love it!! :) :) You are such a kind, warm person, the kids will take right to you and it looks as though the hours will fit perfectly in your schedule. What'll you'll have to put out for in childcare during the school year, you'll make up by not having to pay for childcare next summer. Good luck in what ever decision you make. :)

Thanks for such a sweet response.. but I've never handled middle schoolers, specifically 6th grade.

I would be one on one with a 6th grader, who just needs some extra help, and "float" with some others. I would be doing things like helping them review for tests, or going over their notes in class, helping in the specials (like threading needles and using the sewing machine HAHAHAHA!, I've only BROKEN mine!).
Helping in the home ec class, and making sure they have written down their homework...

What do you think, all knowing CB?

The child care expense is there, it would be 5 days extended day. But I would have no cost in the summer, and no scrambling to go to work when the kids are out for every holiday under the sun.

I, myself, like job offer two. I think that eventually it would work out to be the ideal job for you. But you know what you really want to do so ultimately the decision is yours. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you!

Cindy -- I love the semester I spent with 6th graders!! They are cool!! They're at a stage where they feel too cool to be with the younger kids, yet they're not excepted by the older kids because they are the younger kids. LOL!! I loved it. I prefer 4th and 5th, but if I was given a 6th grade class, I would grab it in a heartbeat. And if for some reason you don't like it, you can always see if you can switch grades next year. Good luck!! :D

Hey! Summers off! Life is good!!! ;)

Thanks Maggie! I thought you had done that grade...

Eventually, I will go back to school.. maybe for teaching. this woudl help me in the long run...

I'd take #2 also. I think that sounds great! Good luck to you, Cindy, in whatever you decide. But I'm betting you'd do well with 6th graders also!!

#2 is my choice also. Good luck in your decision.

I would take option #2 also. Would you be paid durning the summer too? the EA's here are on a 26 week schedule so they do get paid durning the summer too. Good luck in what ever choice you make!

Hi Cindy,
I would take job number #2.
Good luck! You'll be great with 6th graders!

Another vote for #2. Juggling childcare and work sucks. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!