Time for Elton John to call it quits

DisMike

Mouseketeer
First off, I'm a big Elton fan. Loved his stuff through the 70s and into the 90s. However, my nephew went to see him live (I think 2 years ago), and he videoed part of the concert. The guy's voice is gone. I youtube'd some of his more recent stuff and he just can't sing the way he used to. Sad but, it's almost criminal to ask $150+ per ticket for a concert when he's just not good anymore. Sorry Elton. Even Babe Ruth had to hang up the spikes.

First off, I'm a big Elton fan. Loved his stuff through the 70s and into the 90s. However, my nephew went to see him live (I think 2 years ago), and he videoed part of the concert. The guy's voice is gone. I youtube'd some of his more recent stuff and he just can't sing the way he used to. Sad but, it's almost criminal to ask $150+ per ticket for a concert when he's just not good anymore. Sorry Elton. Even Babe Ruth had to hang up the spikes.

Well, first off, have you ever gone to a concert and thought it was just fantastic and then shown your video clips to someone after and realized how horrible it sounds? Happens to me all the time.

That said, I'm sure you're right on Elton John. Not many performers can retain their voice quality much past their 50s. I used to love going to concerts and so many of my favorite "old" bands tour but I am just not interested. I don't want to hear them if they aren't in top form. I'll just stick with my memories.

I will say, though, that I saw Aerosmith about 3 years ago and they were fabulous, but Stephen Tyler never had a pure singing voice anyway so he can pull it off still.

Saw him this past October and he was fabulous. Has his voice changed? Sure, but is piano playing is still awe inspiring and he's 1000 times better than any autotune crap.
This. Saw him three years ago and it was amazing. His voice *has* changed but no one is going to sound the way they did in their 20s in their 70s. I knew that going in though. He’s still an incredible showman and there’s just no one in rock/pop that can touch him on a piano.

I saw in him In Las Vegas, twice, in the last couple of years and enjoyed him both times. His voice probably has changed, but his piano playing, his showmanship were all there. I liked being in the presence of a living legend. No one needs to tell Sir Elton it's time to go home.

Last edited:
Yes, it's even called his FAREWELL Tour. So he IS hanging it up in about a year.

Isn’t Cher on her third or fourth farewell tour? She was supposed to play here a few weeks ago but had to cancel because she fell ill. The show was rescheduled to May 2021 but just today it was was cancelled outright.

I saw him in December, just after he had canceled at least one show due to illness. He was still obviously under the weather (actually had a bucket he expectorated into multiple times) but was absolutely amazing live. Yes, his voice has changed but even sick was the best performer I have seen. We are trying to get tickets to his show later this year (sold out while my friend was waiting in the que). I’m pretty certain this will be the last time to see him in a large arena and while I understand the reason, I’ll be sad to see his big shows end.

I saw him in December, just after he had canceled at least one show due to illness. He was still obviously under the weather (actually had a bucket he expectorated into multiple times) but was absolutely amazing live. Yes, his voice has changed but even sick was the best performer I have seen. We are trying to get tickets to his show later this year (sold out while my friend was waiting in the que). I’m pretty certain this will be the last time to see him in a large arena and while I understand the reason, I’ll be sad to see his big shows end.
He has been very clear since the announcement of this tour that this is not the end of his performing. Simply the final major tour he does. He will continue to do shows after the tour complete.

come on Elton, we all gotta know when its time to walk away, being a big star dont make you exempt

I saw him about 5 years ago in concert. I was underwhelmed. There was no energy in his voice or performing. Paul McCartney, a year earlier, on the other hand, was fantastic.

I love Elton more than any other artist. I’ve seen him 9 times, over 4 decades. I’ve seen him before throat surgery and after. I’ve seen him addicted and clean. I’ve seen him with a full band and just alone with his piano.

I’m not going to this farewell tour because I prefer the memories of when his voice was in much better form. It is greatly diminished from what it once was.

That said, Elton with a diminished voice, will still outperform nearly anyone else. For those who have never seen him live, he will still knock himself out and deliver.

So while I’m taking a pass this time, if someone really wants to go see him, I’d say go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter