Time for a major Space Mountain refurb

We have gone on it at least six times this trip and it does not feel any different than our other four trips starting in 2010. Has always been fairly brutal. Quick turns quick dips.

It is part of what makes the ride so exciting, but I can understand how it can cause discomfort for some.

-Dan

To me the track on the right side seams much less bumpy than the one on the left. Cast members will argue with you if you request a side based on that reason, but my friends and I prefer the one on the right.

To me the track on the right side seams much less bumpy than the one on the left. Cast members will argue with you if you request a side based on that reason, but my friends and I prefer the one on the right.

I agree. My family and I found the right track to be a much more fun and exciting ride than the left. It was strange to me that a different track on the same ride could be so different. SM blew my mind when I rode it in the early 80s and is still my favorite ride today!

Exactly. Why does Disneyworld constantly get the short end of the stick when it comes to rides??? They need to rip out their Space Mountain and replace it with on that tops the one at Disneyland.

It's all one company, they don't compete with themselves. Florida has some awesome rides DL does not - Rock N Roller, Expedition Everest.

DL version is definitely smoother, but it has no real drops, so it isn't as fun for me. The WDW version is a little bumpy, but it ain't as bad as Matterhorn at DL.

Matterhorn is brutal, mainly because you are sitting on the floor, not much padding.

I found it somewhat harsh at age 23, and then again at 28.

I rode it again when I was 29, and was in the second seat. I enjoyed it more that time than I ever have, and it didn't feel so rough. It was the first time I really appreciated it and felt eager to ride it again.

This is one ride where I suspect the seat position makes a notable difference. The first-timer I had with me was in the first seat, and she loved it! I think I was closer to the end the previous two times when I found it uncomfortable.

Definitely in the minority here but I absolutely love the the bumps and how jerky it is. It's a classic ride. It feels like a classic ride. I've ridden Disneyland's too and I personally find it kind of boring because it's so smooth. I really, really don't want them to spruce it up at WDW. My 60 year old parents agree :)

Used to be a must-do, but I had to stop riding because it started jerking my neck around so hard that it became a migraine trigger.

If they were in the same park, I would get this. But deciding not to ride Space Mt in WDW because you prefer the one in DL better is like deciding to punish yourself for the disparity. Space MT is not as good as the DL version, and it never was (even before the ride got bumpy), but it is still a great ride.

You aren't punishing Disney by not riding, or even making a point. You are just missing out.

Actually I don't think anyone's missing out if we decide to skip Space Mountain at WDW - we're choosing to go on something else instead. Actually if it wasn't for seven dwarves mine train, I could probably skip the MK altogether these days, and have another day in a different park, although I'm looking forward to seeing the refurbed Peter Pan line when I visit with my niece in December.

I can't ride it anymore either. I wish it were smoother & it feels worse since it's last refurb. My DH will ride with our DD. But I have to wait in the shop. The last time I rode SM, I hurt for hours afterwards, which isn't fun while touring a park.

We are a family of 6 and have been going to WDW for years. We always rotate who sits where so that everyone would get a chance to sit in the back since it is the wildest ride. On our last trip, I was sitting in the back and my 20 yr old daughter was sitting right in front of me---she was hysterical because all she heard out of me was groans and occasional swearing because it was beating the sh-- out of me LOL :crazy2:. I am 51 now and have no problem giving up my turn in the last seat to spare my back. Time marches on---definitely a different ride for me now than it was when I was in my 30's--but I still look forward to riding it!

I agree. Rough and rickety. Add Big Thunder Mountain to the list too while you're at it! They've updated and improved both of these at Disneyland, why not Disneyworld?

I find the bumpy jerky ride actually adds to my thrill factor :hyper: . It kind of feels like the thing is breaking apart at the seams :scared1: as you roll down the track! I go into SM and Dinosaur expecting they will be jerky. I definitely feel like I take more of beating on RNR or PW.

I'm a ride weenie; BTMRR is my limit. So I've never been on Space. But DH and both kids LOVE coasters. They all tried SM a couple times, on both sides of the '09 refurb. DH said it was painful. DS and DD weren't in pain. But they said it was so herky-jerky, it wasn't fun.

So it's not just age. Some people just don't like it, even if they do consider themselves coaster fanatics.

I've decided that I'm too old for WDW's Space Mountain to be comfortable anymore. During loading/unloading, I feel as if I'm sitting on the floor. The motion is also much too jerky. I will ride it once a trip with DS because he loves it and I love hearing him giggle the whole time. After the first ride, DH has to take over. I'm also a huge fan of DLR's Space Mountain. It's my favorite ride in the park!

I find the bumpy jerky ride actually adds to my thrill factor :hyper: . It kind of feels like the thing is breaking apart at the seams :scared1: as you roll down the track! I go into SM and Dinosaur expecting they will be jerky. I definitely feel like I take more of beating on RNR or PW.

I agree! I skipped RNR last trip (that I rode Space Mtn numerous times) because I feel like my head bangs off the headrests and it gives me a headache. So I don't ride it every trip. I don't demand they redo it so I will like it better. I did miss Primeval Whirl since it was closed for refurb. I like that one.

Im 40 and Space Mountain is my favorite ride. It's plenty smooth and I wouldnt change a thing. With creative use of rider swap and fast passes, my DD and I rode 7 times in one day last trip.

What makes it great is it's a classic. I love that drop . I wouldn't change a thing !!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter