• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This may not be the right place to ask but is there a good place to watch for tix sales? Last summer we were able to buy discounted 7-day hoppers (pay for 4 days and get 3 free) for like $387 from Parksavers. We upgraded all of ours to AP's later but our son may have a friend coming with us on a trip next January and we'd like to watch for a good deal on hoppers for him... TIA for any tips on price watching....

hey y'all, thanks for all the helpful info!
just want to make sure my math is correct:

2 day park hopper: $275.85 (part of free dining deal)
AP: $829.64
Difference: $553.79 OOP.

Did I do that right?

hey y'all, thanks for all the helpful info!
just want to make sure my math is correct:

2 day park hopper: $275.85 (part of free dining deal)
AP: $829.64
Difference: $553.79 OOP.

Did I do that right?

Yes. (Give or take a penny.)

Have a great trip!

Hi everyone! So, I hope I can explain my situation correctly and get some feedback.

I have 10 day park hopper tickets that were 'gifted' to me. The date on the back of the ticket is from 2011. We are traveling this August 2017.
We are now thinking of a second trip in April 2018. So, upgrading to annual passes would be the idea we are considering.

I am aware that if I upgrade they will look at the cost of the ticket from 2011 and I would pay the difference from that price to the current AP price. I was just on the phone and she said that price difference was about $493 if I upgrade PRIOR to the ticket being used. However, she then said that if I wait and upgrade AFTER the ticket has been used (i.e. go to MK on Day 1 of our trip and go to City hall to upgrade) that the cost would actually be about $282. She explained that if I wait to upgrade AFTER the ticket has been used for at least one day, then Disney will not use the 2011 pricing for the upgrade that will actually price my current 10 day hopper at current gate price.

Does this seem correct? I am so nervous to not do this upgrade correctly. I am also interested in when is the BEST time to grade my tickets so that I am able to get the Memory Maker for free and get any AP discounts on food (not sure if we should do dining plan or not if I get AP food discounts).

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

By gifted,do you mean tickets you got from disney for some issues? It was my understanding those can't be upgraded.

And the use or not use before upgrading, several have mentioned on this thread, it doesn't matter any more.

What kind of AP were you getting?

I'm sure Robo will come along at some point and be able to help you.

By gifted,do you mean tickets you got from disney for some issues? It was my understanding those can't be upgraded.

And the use or not use before upgrading, several have mentioned on this thread, it doesn't matter any more.

What kind of AP were you getting?

I'm sure Robo will come along at some point and be able to help you.

When I say "gifted" - I got them from someone else who didn't use them back in 2011. They are 10 day park hoppers that have never been used. Just 'old' tickets! :)

We are looking to get a regular AP - no water parks. I am not DVC or Fl resident.

I have 10 day park hopper tickets... from 2011.
1. I am aware that if I upgrade they will look at the cost of the ticket from 2011 and I would pay the difference from that price to the current AP price.
2. I was just on the phone and she said that price difference was about $493 if I upgrade PRIOR to the ticket being used.
3. However, she then said that if I wait and upgrade AFTER the ticket has been used (i.e. go to MK on Day 1 of our trip and go to City hall to upgrade) that the cost would actually be about $282.
4. She explained that if I wait to upgrade AFTER the ticket has been used for at least one day, then Disney will not use the 2011 pricing for the upgrade that will actually price my current 10 day hopper at current gate price.
WELL...
There are some possibilities that can occur based on some other questions:
A. Were these tickets bought by the original purchaser from Disney "directly" (in-person, over-the-phone, or on-line?)
Or-
B. Were these tickets purchased as part of a WDW Resort package?
Or-
C. Were these tickets purchased via an authorized ticket reseller (UndercoverTourist.com, ParkSavers.com, MapleLeafTickets.com, etc.?)
Or-
D. Were these tickets purchased from the Disney Store?
-----------------------------------------------------------
In the case of B. C. or D. above:
1. That is not correct. (They look at the value just prior to the Feb. 12, 2017 price increase.)
2. That is not correct.
3. That is not correct.
4. That is not correct.

1. The value for a 10-day Hopper ticket from prior to Feb. 12, 2017 is $499.49.
The cost of a new (Platinum) AP is $829.64.
2. So
$829.64
=330.15
3. The price to upgrade BEFORE you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $330.15.
The price to upgrade AFTER you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $330.15.
4. There is no gain or loss in value when using a ticket to enter a park prior to upgrading.

In the case of A. above:
1. Correct. (They look at the value originally paid directly to Disney.)
2. That is not correct.
3. That is not correct.
4. That is not correct.

1. The value for a 10-day Hopper ticket (reg. expiring) after the price increase of June 12, 2011 is $368.49.
2. So
$829.64
-$368.49
=461.15
3. The price to upgrade BEFORE you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $461.15.
The price to upgrade AFTER you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $461.15.
4. There is no gain or loss in value when using a ticket to enter a park prior to upgrading.

Last edited:
Is the 10 day PH a No Expiration ticket or just a regular 10 day PH (expiring after 14 days of use)?

The "No Expire" option was discontinued a couple of years ago.

Yes, but these tickets were purchased in 2011.

If the tickets in question ARE "Non-expiring," that would be a DIFFERENT value
to use in the equation.
(10-day Hopper, Non-expiring from mid-2011 $608.12)

Last edited:
WELL...
There are some possibilities that can occur based on some other questions:
A. Were these tickets bought by the original purchaser from Disney "directly" (in-person, over-the-phone, or on-line?)
Or-
B. Were these tickets purchased as part of a WDW Resort package?
Or-
C. Were these tickets purchased via an authorized ticket reseller (UndercoverTourist.com, ParkSavers.com, MapleLeafTickets.com, etc.?)
Or-
D. Were these tickets purchased from the Disney Store?
In the case of B. C. or D. above:
1. That is not correct. (They look at the value just prior to the Feb. 12, 2017 price increase.)
2. That is not correct.
3. That is not correct.
4. That is not correct.

1. The value for a 10-day Hopper ticket from prior to Feb. 12, 2017 is $499.49.
2. So
$829.64
=330.15
3. The price to upgrade BEFORE you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $330.15.
The price to upgrade AFTER you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $330.15.

In the case of A. above:
1. Correct. (They look at the value originally paid directly to Disney.)
2. That is not correct.
3. That is not correct.
4. That is not correct.

1. The value for a 10-day Hopper ticket (reg. expiring) after the price increase of June 12, 2011 is $368.49.
2. So
$829.64
-$368.49
=461.15
3. The price to upgrade BEFORE you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $461.15.
The price to upgrade AFTER you use the old ticket to enter a park will be $461.15.

Wow! You are amazing! The tickets were apart of a package I believe. The person who gave them to me said something about them being part of a package but he didn't need them (I think due to already having an AP).

1. So, in the end, it won't matter when upgrade. Did I just get a CM on the phone who didn't know what she was talking about? She pulled up my MDE where the tickets are linked and gave me those pricing options.

2. What do you suggest I do when I arrive in August for trip #1 if I want to upgrade these tickets to AP?

3. I also want the memory maker and would have to buy before I travel - will they refund my money when I upgrade to AP since it's free with that?

The tickets were apart of a package I believe.
4. The person who gave them to me said something about them being part of a package but he didn't need them (I think due to already having an AP).

1. So, in the end, it won't matter when upgrade. Did I just get a CM on the phone who didn't know what she was talking about?
2. What do you suggest I do when I arrive in August for trip #1 if I want to upgrade these tickets to AP?
3. I also want the memory maker and would have to buy before I travel - will they refund my money when I upgrade to AP since it's free with that?

1. Sounds like it.
2. Go to any Guest Relations and ask to upgrade.
3. Why do you have to buy it before you travel?
Regardless, they will give you a refund if you upgrade to an AP.
4. I'm trying to figure WHY a person who already owned an AP... decided to purchase 10-day Hoppers as part of a resort package.
It is very important to know, for sure, how the tickets were purchased.
(Resort Package, Disney Store, at the Park Gate, etc.)

1. Sounds like it.
2. Go to any Guest Relations and ask to upgrade.
3. Why do you have to buy it before you travel?
Regardless, they will give you a refund if you upgrade to an AP.
4. I'm trying to figure WHY a person who already owned an AP... decided to purchase 10-day Hoppers as part of a resort package.
It is very important to know, for sure, how the tickets were purchased.
(Resort Package, Disney Store, at the Park Gate, etc.)

Let me ask him about the original purchase and I will get back to you!!

You're the best! Thanks

This may not be the right place to ask but is there a good place to watch for tix sales? Last summer we were able to buy discounted 7-day hoppers (pay for 4 days and get 3 free) for like $387 from Parksavers. We upgraded all of ours to AP's later but our son may have a friend coming with us on a trip next January and we'd like to watch for a good deal on hoppers for him... TIA for any tips on price watching....

I got the same deal last year. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any deal as good this year.

I asked the same question here and someone alerted me to the deal I wound up buying.

When you sign up for the Mousesavers newsletter, you get a link on the 15th of each month to their best prices. American Express has an offer that expires next Wednesday, 5/31 for $30 off any Undercover Tourist purchase over $150 that has to be loaded onto your card before you do the transaction.

So I got a 5 day park hopper for $403--UCT $433 minus the $30 AmEx credit. The paper ticket has been delivered, and it is returnable on the outside chance a better offer becomes available.

I wish I got the same deal as last year, but the price I paid is a $70 discount off the gate price, so I'll just have to be happy with it.

So I got a 5 day park hopper for $403--UCT $433 minus the $30 AmEx credit. The paper ticket has been delivered, and it is returnable on the outside chance a better offer becomes available.

Just a note: (Because there is so much confusion about types of tickets.)
What you have in the envelope is not a "paper ticket."
It is a ready-to-usle plastic credit card-type RFID ticket.

It can be used at the park gates, as-is, with no further interaction, or its number can be put into your MDE account
and it will then be ready to use via a MagicBand, if you have one.

UT tickets are returnable (for up to a year) IF you do NOT enter their numbers into an MDE account.

I never even took the ticket out of the plastic bag they mailed it in. I knew somehow that I can return it as long as I don't put it into my MDE account. My 60 day FP window isn't until mid July so I'm not entering it until then just in case a better offer comes out. But between HEA and Pandora, that doesn't seem likely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter