Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Splash Mountain retheme)

I was so mad about this news when I first heard about it...but then I remembered how angry I was about the Tower of Terror rehaul, and now Guardians is my favorite DCA attraction. I am cautiously optimistic.
I wasn't mad about the retheme because I was always thought it was a odd that they based a ride around Song of the South. I always felt it was destined for a retheme along the way. And yes, I remember the acrimony over Tower of Terror being redone and that ride is incredible now. They converted a scary ride into a fun, thrill ride. We love the OG at Hollywood Studios but Guardians is a worthy successor. I think Disney will plus up Splash and make it really beautiful inside. I already have a sense about how they will incorporate the existing track and rooms to Princess and the Frog. I just hope Dr. Facilier plays a part in it. I think the climb to the drop portion could completely revolve around him and the voodoo spirits.

I wasn't mad about the retheme because I was always thought it was a odd that they based a ride around Song of the South. I always felt it was destined for a retheme along the way. And yes, I remember the acrimony over Tower of Terror being redone and that ride is incredible now. They converted a scary ride into a fun, thrill ride. We love the OG at Hollywood Studios but Guardians is a worthy successor. I think Disney will plus up Splash and make it really beautiful inside. I already have a sense about how they will incorporate the existing track and rooms to Princess and the Frog. I just hope Dr. Facilier plays a part in it. I think the climb to the drop portion could completely revolve around him and the voodoo spirits.
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand the reasoning behind retheming. I just have issues adjusting to change! I didn't even realize it was based off Song of the South until I was in college. But yeah...not the best choice and pretty odd.

You're right, there are so many great opportunities I hope they take advantage of! The exterior will definitely be a shock (but lets hope in a good way).

Even if Disney put a Princess and the Frog ride elsewhere, they would've rethemed Splash Mountain to something else regardless. The main reason why the retheme is happening is for Disney to further distance itself from the movie Splash is based on to avoid future controversies. Princess and the Frog just so happens to be the theme that they chose.
Since the can of worms has already been opened, I think the retheme makes absolute sense in DLR. There's a sense of natural transition from New Orleans Square to the Haunted Mansion, a nod to the Garden District in New Orleans, and then out to the Bayou and Mama Odie's. It makes the former Splash a portion of New Orleans Square now. I welcome the change at DLR.

Not really the case for the WDW version which will seem very out of place with Big Thunder Mountain. I wish there was a way to keep both rides, the old in WDW and the new in DLR, similar to the two coasts having different versions of Tower of Terror now.

Since the can of worms has already been opened, I think the retheme makes absolute sense in DLR. There's a sense of natural transition from New Orleans Square to the Haunted Mansion, a nod to the Garden District in New Orleans, and then out to the Bayou and Mama Odie's. It makes the former Splash a portion of New Orleans Square now. I welcome the change at DLR.

Not really the case for the WDW version which will seem very out of place with Big Thunder Mountain. I wish there was a way to keep both rides, the old in WDW and the new in DLR, similar to the two coasts having different versions of Tower of Terror now.
I agree. I have no issues with the retheme itself happening. If it's done well (i.e. not entirely screen based), then I will be super happy. I just think it's important to understand why Disney is doing this. They just wanted an excuse to get rid of Splash at the end of the day.

Splash technically didn't make sense in WDW either since it doesn't take place in the frontier but I don't think anyone really minded.

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand the reasoning behind retheming. I just have issues adjusting to change! I didn't even realize it was based off Song of the South until I was in college. But yeah...not the best choice and pretty odd.

You're right, there are so many great opportunities I hope they take advantage of! The exterior will definitely be a shock (but lets hope in a good way).
Imagine how beautiful it will look at night though with Mama Odie's boat up on the hill/tree. There's a lot they can do to add nighttime color and lighting to the ride.

Last edited:
I was so mad about this news when I first heard about it...but then I remembered how angry I was about the Tower of Terror rehaul, and now Guardians is my favorite DCA attraction. I am cautiously optimistic.
I never had an issue with the Guardians retheme at DCA. The main reason being that the version of TZTOT that DCA got was vastly inferior to the version that was at Hollywood Studios. Plus we all knew a Marvel land was coming to Bugs Land eventually.

Only issue with Guardians is that the building is so ugly.

I didn't like changing Tower of Terror and still feel that Guardians of the Galaxy is sort of forced on to the ride to shove Marvel down everyone's throats. I like the queue and the Halloween version but I'm still a bigger fan of the old Tower of Terror over Guardians.

As far as the Splash Mountain retheme is concerned, my attitude has changed from being upset with Disney to now being mostly apathetic. Right now, I honestly have little hope for anything Disney does stateside in the near future to be an improvement and actually have no plans to ever ride this.

Biggest issue I see is that they are retheming a thrill ride that has height restrictions and a fear factor to a theme for a Princess character.

In my mind that means the main demographic young and little kids who like princesses can't or won't ride the attraction. Seems odd that Imagineering would not take this into account.
Snow White Mine Train ride at Magic Kingdom in WDW has a height requirement and is a thrill type ride (I admit not as thrilling as Splash Mountain). It is probably the most popular ride at MK and I have never heard complaints about it not being available to all the little kids.

Plus the Pooh part of Critter Country was always kinda hidden anyways since you need to go below the bridge to access it. So it's not like it will clash horribly against the refurbished Splash. It's gonna feel like a little secret valley.

Snow White Mine Train ride at Magic Kingdom in WDW has a height requirement and is a thrill type ride (I admit not as thrilling as Splash Mountain). It is probably the most popular ride at MK and I have never heard complaints about it not being available to all the little kids.
Many kids who reach the height requirement see that drop instantly want to avoid Splash.

Mine train is known as a kiddie coaster and while there is a princess in it. It is not themed towards her.

That's kind of a strange criticism given Splash Mountain involved an animated rabbit, bear, and fox. That's pretty aimed at kids who can't ride it.
That animated rabbit, bear, and fox (characters that most guests have no idea who they are) do not hold a candle a princesses popularity.

To me Splash has always been more about the thrill aspect that happens to have characters and a story within it that most people do not know.

The updated version while probably having most of the thrill aspects, it now offers a character and story that has a strong connection to the younger demographic.

That animated rabbit, bear, and fox (characters that most guests have no idea who they are) do not hold a candle a princesses popularity.

To me Splash has always been more about the thrill aspect that happens to have characters and a story within it that most people do not know.

The updated version while probably having most of the thrill aspects, it now offers a character and story that has a strong connection to the younger demographic.
Many people rode Splash despite its thrill component rather than because of it. The music and the characters were the draw. Let’s hope they don’t skimp on characters or animatronics in the redo.

I wouldnt mind a few more non-IP related rides personally.

Matterhorn, Space Mountain, BTMRR and Haunted Mansion Stand as some of the most popular rides and they do not need an IP…..

Even the Eddie Murphy film of HM really had zero bearing or attachment to the ride.

I think the days of creating non-IP attractions are over. It's just not a part of the Disney mindset any longer.

I'm sure this made the rounds early on when P&tF was first mentioned, but I wonder why you don't hear anyone clamoring for a Western River Expedition re-theme of Splash Mountain - in WDW anyway. I think P&tF works great in DL, and in fact I'd remove Pooh while there were at it and put in a Tiana's Place fine dine. At WDW Splash is between BTMRR and Pecos Bill QS, and Country bears the other side of that. The side-by-side boats in WDW could easily be re-themed as whitewater rafts to fit the Western Expedition theme though.

sorry if I missed it but have they set a date when Splash Mountain will be closing at DL for the change?

sorry if I missed it but have they set a date when Splash Mountain will be closing at DL for the change?
Can't imagine that if it's already closed at DW and both expect to reopen in similar time-frames in 2024, that DL Splash will be open more than a few months at best.
I also will be curious on the exact date, as we are visiting in mid-April.

Can't imagine that if it's already closed at DW and both expect to reopen in similar time-frames in 2024, that DL Splash will be open more than a few months at best.
I also will be curious on the exact date, as we are visiting in mid-April.
I believe it was just announced that Splash Mountain, in WDW, will close on Jan. 23. And not open until 2024.
Nothing about DLR that I have seen yet.

I believe it was just announced that Splash Mountain, in WDW, will close on Jan. 23. And not open until 2024.
Nothing about DLR that I have seen yet.
They mentioned info was coming soon on it thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter