Thrill level of Slinky Dog Dash?

TN Davy Crockett

Earning My Ears
How does Slinky Dog Dash compare to SDMT or BTMR? Is it faster? bigger drops? more Gs? More intense? We're trying to decide whether or not to get a FP and we're on the fence about whether to ride it or not. My son hates roller coasters, I'm a big chicken and really stretched to my limit on SDMT, and my wife will ride anything. For those of you who've rode it, please help us out...

Agree that it has the same smoothness of 7DMT but it felt more intense to me because of more (bigger?) drops and sideways 'tilts'-- so that part makes it more like BTMR... SDD also feels faster than both of those coasters, IMHO. The fact that it's an open/exposed track (unlike 7DMT and BTMR) also adds to the intensity level, I think. If 7DMT is a stretch for you, I'd (sadly) say you may not really enjoy Slinky. But if you at all think you might want to give it a shot, get a FP+ just in case??

It is built as a coaster, steel track in the air ... not themed like BTMM or 7DMT, where the track is buried in mountain and scenery. So you will legit feel you are doing hills high up (you are and can see across the park) and there are lots of banks (to the left). I always make my DS (disabled) get in rides first and then I get in. After about the 5-6th time I realized that it banked mostly to the left ...

So I got in first the next time ............ I felt terrible. That side really banks and you are looking straight down at the ground and he is afraid of heights ... so my suggestion is keep the more fearful ones on the right side - if you ride. But honestly if you don't like coasters use your FP+ for Toy Story Mania or Aliens.

If 7DMT stretches you to your limit, I think SDD would be too much. I did it with my 9 and 12 year old last month. They both love 7DMT and like BTMR. SDD was too much for both of them. They didn't hate it, but neither wanted to ride it a second time. I also thought it felt like a more intense coaster than the other 2, but I still liked it.

SDD is more intense then both. That’s cause of the slight drops and actually “ seeing “ more and feeling higher up

It’s not RNRC intense. If RNRC is a 9, Everest is an 8. SD is a 7. 7DMT is a 6 and BTMR is a 5

Yeah that was a horrible comparison cause none is a real 9 or 8-1/2 lol. RNRC is closest

The advantage of SDD when deciding to ride or not is that you can go and stand there and basically see the whole thing. From what you described, I'd skip it for now. It is really smooth, but it reminds me more of BTM than SDMT. It's flat out fun... but I think you need to like coasters at least a little bit to really feel that fun. The other aspect that caught one of our party off guard was the "quick" up and down movement over the little hills in tandem... well, she turned a bit green though she usually doesn't get motion sick.

It's definitely more intense then mine train, so I'd probably skip it. I was actually quite surprised at how intense it was-I thought it was going to be more of a family coaster. It was really fun though!

I thought it was better than 7DMT (but not as well themed).
Probabaly about as intense as BTMRR. But I love big coasters and don't consider SDD, 7DMT or BTMRR intense.
Much better in the back.
Very smooth. Similar launch system as RnRC, but not the super fast start, a slow acceleration (and not nearly as fast).

For someone that is afraid of falling, SDD is more fear inducing than any of the other Disney coasters I've been on except Primeval Whirl. As others have mentioned, there is no mountain that the track is built in. Nor is the track in complete darkness so you can't see the height (like RNRC or SM). It's a fun ride, but note the more "traditional" roller coaster construction is equal to primevel whirl or barnstormer with the speed of SDMT. I still really like the ride, but thought I'd add this angle to consider. If your son hates rollercoasters, then I say do TSMM and Alien Saucers. And considering SDMT was intense for you, this is definitely a notch or three up from that.

What a great thread! I assumed SDD was going to be more tame like Barnstormer, so now I’m excited to ride it! We love roller coasters.
It was far better than I expected. It is much tamer near the front and definitely more fun toward the back. The front you don't get the snap from the hills.

I figured it was going to be about the same as SDMT...it wasn't! It's more intense, simply because of the hills/drops and the fact that you see the track! But...having said that, I have to say that this ride makes me giggle and laugh every single time I ride it!!! Not sure why, but it does..just makes me happy!!!

IMO Slinky is definitly more intense than seven dwarfs. Was not expecting it all being a toy story ride which appeals to younger kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts