Three rules for staying out of poverty

Is that real millionaires or fake millionaires?

I don't know since I am neither. As for any other poster on this thread or on this board, I can only go by what I am told. I have no way of verifying either proposition and neither do you. All the sleuthing in the world, the digging up of old posts, the insinuations of lying are ridiculous since nothing can be proven. No one even knows who these people are IRL. For all you know, the poster may be Warren Buffet and the salaried chemist is just an internet persona or the poster may be a welfare queen driving a Cadillac and laughing at all of us.

After all, on the internet, no one knows you're a dog.

http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.html

I make seven figures. (If you count what comes after the decimal.) :thumbsup2

What is the income guideline for posting on the budget board anyway? This isn't the first thread where someone that may (or may not) have money has been asked why theypost on the BB if they have money?

And the article in the OP didn't say poverty would NEVER happen if you did those three things, just the chance is less. Of course life can, and does, happen but why not atleast try to give youself a headstart.

We should have income limits on both ends - after all, if you are really struggling you have no business being on a Disney board. As well as a zero debt (other than mortgage) requirement - because if you have consumer debt you shouldn't be planning a Disney trip either.

Or, we could assume that people are here under a variety of circumstances to learn, teach and support each other. And that our lives are messy and complex things where one year we get a six figure bonus (happened to us a few years ago) and the next lose our jobs (that hasn't happened to us yet). That some of us grew up in feast or famine households - one summer we were hanging out at the country club pool, a few years later we were living with Grandma "between houses." Messy complex lives are hard to summarize in internet posts.

As to the OP, yep - stats have shown that over and over again. Along with "don't get divorced" - although I really prefer the advice "pick your partners in love and business wisely - and even after they are picked protect yourself" - we don't always choose whether our spouses will stay.

Another one, don't smoke or drink.

(The only posters around here that really get my goat are the ones that come looking for advice to avert financial calamity, then a year later, are here again, none of the original advice heeded, cable still on, kids still enrolled in expensive dance and private school, and a Deluxe Disney trip within the previous year spread all over their posting history and "we are going to loose our house!" Well, duh!)

(The only posters around here that really get my goat are the ones that come looking for advice to avert financial calamity, then a year later, are here again, none of the original advice heeded, cable still on, kids still enrolled in expensive dance and private school, and a Deluxe Disney trip within the previous year spread all over their posting history and "we are going to loose our house!" Well, duh!)

Its almost a drug to some people on the DIS-their life HAS to have a DELUXE Vaca at WDW:lmao::sad2:

I disagree. Numbers mean little. A family with an income of $150,000 may not live as well as another family with an income of $75,000. So many other factors weigh in that income alone means next to nothing. Are you questioning whether someone with a large income would really be posting on the budget board? From everything I read about the wealthy, they got that way and stay that way because they are cheap and fight to keep every penny.

Clearly, there are many very wealthy people here on the Dis. Go to the Community board and read about some people's vacation plans! Wow, there is a lot of money out there (and here, lol).

HUH? I was responding to those who said the poster who had gotten pregnant young and moved out, went on aid and then put herself thorugh school, got a job, etc and then got OFF aid should have lived with her parents instead of taking from the government...I wasn't referring to any conversation dealing with what anyone's inclome or if they should or should not post on the BB..I don't care about that..that conversation has nothing to do with the original question of how people can stay out of poverty :scared1:

I just can't figure out why people think it makes sense to post how much money they make (be it 5, 6, or 7 figures) on a public message board. And why they think people shouldn't have opinions about it if they post it. I grew up being taught that money was personal and you never told anyone how much you make. Some people should heed that advice. Telling people how much you make (even in veiled terms) doesn't ever lead to any good. It only causes drama (as evidenced by this thread!).

I disagree. Numbers mean little. A family with an income of $150,000 may not live as well as another family with an income of $75,000. So many other factors weigh in that income alone means next to nothing. Are you questioning whether someone with a large income would really be posting on the budget board? From everything I read about the wealthy, they got that way and stay that way because they are cheap and fight to keep every penny.

Clearly, there are many very wealthy people here on the Dis. Go to the Community board and read about some people's vacation plans! Wow, there is a lot of money out there (and here, lol).

HUH? I was responding to those who said the poster who had gotten pregnant young and moved out, went on aid and then put herself thorugh school, got a job, etc and then got OFF aid should have lived with her parents instead of taking from the government...I wasn't referring to any conversation dealing with what anyone's inclome or if they should or should not post on the BB..I don't care about that..that conversation has nothing to do with the original question of how people can stay out of poverty :scared1:

Sorry. Yours wasn't the one I was trying to quote. The Dis kept messing up for me and timing out so apparently it picked the wrong quote. I mean to quote labdogs as I was replying to her post about why people post their income.

Without understanding the input, the output is meaningless. In a discussion about budget, not understanding the resources each of us starts with leaves us with incomplete understanding

As to the "it's not polite". This is an anonymous Internet message board talking about personal finance. The rules are different. I'd be very cautious about disclosing what I disclose here under my real name, and I've posted purposefully misleading information which would make it difficult to find me in real life. (nothing important, things like where I work.)

Sorry. Yours wasn't the one I was trying to quote. The Dis kept messing up for me and timing out so apparently it picked the wrong quote. I mean to quote labdogs as I was replying to her post about why people post their income.

Ah yes..I see that now..makes much more sense :) Yes..things can get screwy here sometimes ...

There are some rude people on this board! Why would you care what someone else makes??? ......You dont pay their bills so its no concern of yours....You mean to say that people that are well off shouldnt try to expand their "brand''? I am NOT putting Eliza in the same catagory as Bill Gates and Trump, but they have buttloads of money and continue to expand their companies. People need to STOP being so judgemental!!! If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. :flower3:

Why would someone go to the trouble to look up someones income??? Really!?! They have got some time on their hands!

There are some rude people on this board! Why would you care what someone else makes??? ......You dont pay their bills so its no concern of yours....You mean to say that people that are well off shouldnt try to expand their "brand''? I am NOT putting Eliza in the same catagory as Bill Gates and Trump, but they have buttloads of money and continue to expand their companies. People need to STOP being so judgemental!!! If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. :flower3:

Why would someone go to the trouble to look up someones income??? Really!?! They have got some time on their hands!

When someone states their occupation then states they make 7 figures salary and it is common knowledge that the profession isn't one that generates a Million dollars"???:rolleyes1

When someone states their occupation then states they make 7 figures salary and it is common knowledge that the profession isn't one that generates a Million dollars"???:rolleyes1

So what. You dont know the situation. What if she was left an inheritance, won the lotto, or whatever. Whats the big deal?? :rolleyes:

Well - for some people it's just not that easy.

Graduating from high school is not too hard for some, almost impossible for others. Some kids are living in incredibly chaotic and dysfunctional households, where there is nowhere to study (and they can't go somewhere else because they are looking after younger siblings while their parents are working), nobody to wake them up for school in the morning, nobody to make sure they get nutritious meals. They may have learning disabilities (or brain damage caused by the drugs/alcohol their mothers used during the pregnancy) so that school is very tough for them, and their school may not do much to help. They may have to work long hours because the family needs the income.

And, sure, having a full-time job (ideally with good benefits) is the goal of many people, but for some it's a tough goal to achieve. There are many reasons why people don't get hired and not all of them are things the person can change.

My tips for not being poor would be: be born into a middle-class or wealthy family, with caring parents, who can give you a good start in life.

Teresa

I have to agree with Teresa. I haven't read the whole thread just the first page but those three things seem very simple but it's not. I came from a very dysfunctional family, my father was a polysubstance abuser (heroin, crack, etc) and my mother is very mentally unstable. I moved out at the age of 16. I was able to graduate high school and college but my brothers have had a tougher time. Both brothers had kids by the age of 16, both live in poverty and never graduated high school. One is a good parent and has a normal, sane life despite being poor. The other is a total hot mess. I've seen several therapists and doctors (psychiatrists) over the years with stuff related to my family and they are all AMAZED how normal I turned out. The last one finally told me that if a child has one normal parent they usually turn out just fine but if they have two parents who are unfit than odds are they will turn out the same way.

So why did I luck out? I have no idea but I'm thankful I was able to get out of poverty cycle.

ETA: I barely graduated high school, my parents did not care if I dropped out. I always thought I was stupid but it wasn't until I almost flunked out of college that a therapist said I think you have ADD. I got put on adderall and went from having Fs to As. If I would have been diagnosed with ADD in high school medication would have never been an option because my mother thinks ALL medicine is poison, anything from tyelnol to blood pressure medication.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter