This math doesnt add up...I need Disboard help!

the_green_machine

Mouseketeer
So I asked for a quote from my travel agent about a month, or so, ago.

I wanted a week in late January preferably at Pop Century, standard room (2 adults). I knew going in that the trip would be from Friday to Friday as these are the days that the charter leaves from Winnipeg direct to Orlando over the winter.

So that being said I would be paying for 2 weekend rates (Friday, Saturday) and 5 weekday rates for the room (Sun. Through Thursday).

He came back with a quote for:

Disney’s All Star Music Resort (for Jan 20th to the 27th 2012)
Room category: Preferred Room
Price per person: 659 + 294(taxes) = 953.00
This pricing includes airfare, hotel and taxes for 2 adults = $1906.00

So total for me and my wife (minus Park Passes and Dining) would be roughly $1906.00
I then asked if Pop wasn’t avail. which he said it was. So I then asked for a quote for what I initially asked for above. He came back with:

Disney’s Pop Century (for Jan 20th to the 27th 2012)
Standard room
Price per person including airfare, hotel and taxes = $1033.00
Total for the both of us = $2067.00
So here’s my issue....Why am I paying over a hundred dollars extra for a standard room as opposed to a preferred at a resort that only charges 12.5% tax as apposed to 13.5% for the All-Stars? (You save 1% at Pop because it is in a different county)

(2011 rack rates for All Star Music/ Preferred Weekend=107.00 (Fri-Sat) and 97.00 (Sun through Thurs.)***2011 Rack rates for Pop Standard WkEd $92.00 Sun-Thurs $ 82.00.

Maybe I’ve overlooked something but I’d like to know what the experts think before I bring it to my agents attention.

I know I listed 2011 rack rates and Im travelling in 2012 but what ever the 2012 rates are they will increse across the board. Im just giving those numbers to put the cost difference in perspective.:)

It probably has something to do with the TA's ability to get certain deals at certain resorts based on availability. They naturally try to get you the best deal which is why they came back with the first offer. I don't see this as being unusual at all, however I do see why you would question it.

Have you tried pricing it without using a TA?

Any chance he has you in for an extra night at Pop? Or included trip insurance with the second package but not the first? You can check the 2012 pricing at disneyworld.com, but the site's kind of slow and annoying to use :).

So I asked for a quote from my travel agent about a month, or so, ago.

I wanted a week in late January preferably at Pop Century, standard room (2 adults). I knew going in that the trip would be from Friday to Friday as these are the days that the charter leaves from Winnipeg direct to Orlando over the winter.

So that being said I would be paying for 2 weekend rates (Friday, Saturday) and 5 weekday rates for the room (Sun. Through Thursday).

He came back with a quote for:

Disney’s All Star Music Resort (for Jan 20th to the 27th 2012)
Room category: Preferred Room
Price per person: 659 + 294(taxes) = 953.00
This pricing includes airfare, hotel and taxes for 2 adults = $1906.00

So total for me and my wife (minus Park Passes and Dining) would be roughly $1906.00
I then asked if Pop wasn’t avail. which he said it was. So I then asked for a quote for what I initially asked for above. He came back with:

Disney’s Pop Century (for Jan 20th to the 27th 2012)
Standard room
Price per person including airfare, hotel and taxes = $1033.00
Total for the both of us = $2067.00
So here’s my issue....Why am I paying over a hundred dollars extra for a standard room as opposed to a preferred at a resort that only charges 12.5% tax as apposed to 13.5% for the All-Stars? (You save 1% at Pop because it is in a different county)

(2011 rack rates for All Star Music/ Preferred Weekend=107.00 (Fri-Sat) and 97.00 (Sun through Thurs.)***2011 Rack rates for Pop Standard WkEd $92.00 Sun-Thurs $ 82.00.

Maybe I’ve overlooked something but I’d like to know what the experts think before I bring it to my agents attention.

For January 20-27, 2012, the nightly rates are 99 and 89, for a total of 723 with tax for just the room, for Pop Century.

Have you considered just booking your own flights and rooms? May not be as convenient as a direct charter flight - that would be a big plus to me.

It probably has something to do with the TA's ability to get certain deals at certain resorts based on availability. They naturally try to get you the best deal which is why they came back with the first offer. I don't see this as being unusual at all, however I do see why you would question it.

Have you tried pricing it without using a TA?

Nope...I've always went with TA's. Should look into it for sure.

Any chance he has you in for an extra night at Pop? Or included trip insurance with the second package but not the first? You can check the 2012 pricing at disneyworld.com, but the site's kind of slow and annoying to use :).

I know he didnt incl. the trip insur. The extra night could be a possibility.

For January 20-27, 2012, the nightly rates are 99 and 89, for a total of 723 with tax for just the room, for Pop Century.

Have you considered just booking your own flights and rooms? May not be as convenient as a direct charter flight - that would be a big plus to me.

Havent considered it, but yeah the direct charter in and out is awesome (as well he gets me into Orl by 11:00am on my first day and we dont leave until 1:00pm our last and Im in the driveway before supper :)...hard to beat). I guess that's worth the extra dough.:)

Thanks for your help guys (& gals):worship:

I had this same issue. I ended up pricing everything myself and it came up cheaper. Not sure why the difference.

I would look into pricing it for yourself. It does seem a little high. It would mean that you are looking at closer to $700 to $750. Considering there are no park passes included with that, it does seem high.

IF you were willing to do a bit of driving and get into the states, your flights would be way less than half of what you are probably paying now.

Just a thought....but yaaa!!! for a Disney trip:)

Price it out yourself. See what you get.

However, if the price quoted by the TA is worth having your direct charter flight, then go with that. :D

Are those US dollars or Canadian?
I priced out the 20th to the 27th (leaving on the 27th) and it's $643 +80.39 tax. for a total of $723.39 for a Standard Pop room. (In US dollars)

A prefered room would be a total of 842. And Pool preferred would be $881.

A standard at AS Music is $687 and preferred is $806.

Pops prices are increasing in 2012. They will be more than the other values.

I'm not sure about the airfare part. But those can go up and down daily, so that could also be part of the cost difference.

I had this same issue. I ended up pricing everything myself and it came up cheaper. Not sure why the difference.

Me too I just price everything myself now

I would look into pricing it for yourself. It does seem a little high. It would mean that you are looking at closer to $700 to $750. Considering there are no park passes included with that, it does seem high.

IF you were willing to do a bit of driving and get into the states, your flights would be way less than half of what you are probably paying now.

Just a thought....but yaaa!!! for a Disney trip:)

Yeah, there are a couple of issues here. I'm doing this in secret as I'm giving my wife this trip for Christmas and I'm finding it hard enough already keeping her in the dark...Pricing out things separate means more time, a larger paper trail that I have to get rid of and more internet sites I have to erase. She's sharp as a tack too so if I slip up at all she'll be like a Great White, she'd be able to pick up a tablespoon of blood from a mile out:rotfl:

That being said, last night after I posted I looked at a few airlines out of Canada and I wouldnt save anything...on top of that they would have me leaving at crazy times with a handful of stops and I wouldnt be getting into Orl. until the evening of our first day....Cant swing that.

And if I have to drive from the States Im looking at another 3 to 5 hours after I land....I'd rather start my Disney Detox right away :sick:

Price it out yourself. See what you get.

However, if the price quoted by the TA is worth having your direct charter flight, then go with that. :D

Thats the thing..That direct charter is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned...I cant find a thing out of Canada that is even remotely as good.

Are those US dollars or Canadian?
I priced out the 20th to the 27th (leaving on the 27th) and it's $643 +80.39 tax. for a total of $723.39 for a Standard Pop room. (In US dollars)

A prefered room would be a total of 842. And Pool preferred would be $881.

A standard at AS Music is $687 and preferred is $806.

Pops prices are increasing in 2012. They will be more than the other values.

I'm not sure about the airfare part. But those can go up and down daily, so that could also be part of the cost difference.

Yeah, thats in Canadian dollars (so about par or slightly better for us). I havent seen the 2012 prices I'll look right now. Thanks for the heads up...I had no idea that Pop was going to be the more expensive resort out of the values.:thumbsup2 That could make all the difference.

I just wanted to see what the experts thought...Although I guess paying a little extra isnt the end of the world given everything else....I'll just run it by him and see what he can figure out..Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter