This Is Us- Season 3

Could the "her" in the future be Tess's wife/girlfriend and the whole Toby thing/making us think it's Kate is to throw us off?

It is Rebecca. This has been confirmed by one of the show's writers. I linked the article at the top of this page.

Thought Beth asking Randall to quit mid-campaign was ridiculous...It all seemed out of character for Beth. I get she's stressed herself and for the family...But the Beth that I love and that they have shown would be the first to say "Oh no! We are not quitting".

I agree. When the campaign manager said they weren't going to win, I expected her not to accept that.

We just saw the episode tonight, and I now feel like I did after seeing The Crimes of Grindelwald - left with more questions than answers. It's going to be a long wait until January 15th.

I really haven't been certain about Nicky's storyline as to whether he was alive or in fact dead because there were a lot of options where the writers could have taken the story.

Funnily enough after watching this episode I found myself speculating about something that was more at the forefront with everyone else last episode and I thought was misdirection. Maybe it was, but my thoughts went there this week even though there wasn't anything to do with it in this episode. I wonder if it isn't possible that Kevin is going to be a father afterall, with his baby girl dramatically born at the same time as Kate's son? I can see these writers going there.

I wasn't able to watch Tuesday night, so I caught up last night.

I thought it was a very good episode. I am very interested to see where the Nicky storyline is going. Jack is so family oriented, that I can't believe he would just write off his brother as dead and keep it a secret all those years. Especially after he joined the Army solely so he could keep an eye on his brother.

I haven't had as many tears this season as the previous ones, but I bawled when Tess was talking to her parents.

I'm not sure what to think about the election stuff - I thought the whole election storyline was pretty far fetched anyway. I can't believe someone that doesn't live in that area was even allowed to run for Councilman even if he does own an apartment building.

I thought it was a very good episode. I am very interested to see where the Nicky storyline is going. Jack is so family oriented, that I can't believe he would just write off his brother as dead and keep it a secret all those years. Especially after he joined the Army solely so he could keep an eye on his brother.

I haven't had as many tears this season as the previous ones, but I bawled when Tess was talking to her parents.

I'm not sure what to think about the election stuff - I thought the whole election storyline was pretty far fetched anyway. I can't believe someone that doesn't live in that area was even allowed to run for Councilman even if he does own an apartment building.

I agree with everything you said.

The election storyline is by far the weakest one. It's the only thing that makes me annoyed this season. His poll numbers are way down, he doesn't even live there, his wife asked him to stay true to his word and end it and he says no?? Neither of them have a dang job right now. Seriously, they need to pull the plug on it.

I agree with you about the election stuff.

I'm surprised to be slightly frustrated with Beth after this episode. She may be my favorite character, or at least up there at the top. I do agree with her frustration with Randall not living up to the promise he made her. But I do feel she herself spoke out of both sides of her mouth by first telling him that she did not want the family to be a reason for him to back out of the race -- then going back on her own statement and citing all family reasons why she wanted him to throw in the towel. I would have felt entirely differently had the family reason been someone was seriously ill, in that case all bets are off. What I'm having a problem with is the fact she included Tess' situation as a reason. It's obvious to both of them that Tess is reassured by their reaction to her revelation. The problem is solved. What remains is merely a girl trying to figure out who she is and how she's going to live her life -- which is the same situation whether she's questioning her sexuality or not. It's not like Randall would need to drop out because Tess was starting to show an interest in boys.

I think maybe my frustration is more with the writers, because I don't think this is something that should be painted in the light of a problem in this family. It's that way in plenty of families, but I don't think it's problematic in this one and I think it's kind of a lazy trope to make it so here.

For me, I can totally see Jack keeping it a secret. Jack would do ANYTHING for Nicky, even joining the army and going to Vietnam just to watch over him. I could see him keeping it a secret to protect him. I am just confused because if they (or even just Nick) did fake his death, he would have been on the "dead soldiers" memorial. The guide said Nick's name was not on the memorial so therefore, he did not die in the war. It just makes me wonder how and why they all thought he died. I thought Kevin said that his Uncle Nick died in the war, so that was the story Jack told. But since we know his is alive and that "officially" he is not listed as someone who died in the war, they must have made it up after the war?

For me, I can totally see Jack keeping it a secret. Jack would do ANYTHING for Nicky, even joining the army and going to Vietnam just to watch over him. I could see him keeping it a secret to protect him. I am just confused because if they (or even just Nick) did fake his death, he would have been on the "dead soldiers" memorial. The guide said Nick's name was not on the memorial so therefore, he did not die in the war. It just makes me wonder how and why they all thought he died. I thought Kevin said that his Uncle Nick died in the war, so that was the story Jack told. But since we know his is alive and that "officially" he is not listed as someone who died in the war, they must have made it up after the war?

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow it turns out that Nicky's demons take total control and the brother Jack knew is indeed dead to him -- quite likely at Nicky's request.

The fact she included Tess' situation as a reason. It's obvious to both of them that Tess is reassured by their reaction to her revelation. The problem is solved. What remains is merely a girl trying to figure out who she is and how she's going to live her life -- which is the same situation whether she's questioning her sexuality or not. It's not like Randall would need to drop out because Tess was starting to show an interest in boys.

I think maybe my frustration is more with the writers, because I don't think this is something that should be painted in the light of a problem in this family. It's that way in plenty of families, but I don't think it's problematic in this one and I think it's kind of a lazy trope to make it so here.

100%.

It all seemed bizarre. And lazy.

I agree that I was totally surprised about the guide saying that no one name Nicholas Pearson was on the death roster. I had wondered if Nicky was going to have faked his death, but if he faked it, then he would have been presumed dead and been on the list.

I'll be very interested to see how this plays out.

I agree that I was totally surprised about the guide saying that no one name Nicholas Pearson was on the death roster. I had wondered if Nicky was going to have faked his death, but if he faked it, then he would have been presumed dead and been on the list.

I'll be very interested to see how this plays out.

Yep, this is the one time where I have nothing - not even far-fetched thoughts. One way ends with "but he's not on the list". And the other thought ends with "but he has to have the abilty to get back home".

Nothing. And I kind of like that.

I'd be interested to go back to see if Jack ever said that his brother died in the war. I remember him saying he "lost his brother in the war" which I think we were expected to assume meant he died. But I suppose it wouldn't be a technical lie if he meant they became estranged, or if Nicky went AWOL during the war and Jack never saw him again.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to go back to see if Jack ever said that his brother died in the war. I remember him saying he "lost his brother in the war" which I think we were expected to assume meant he died. But I suppose it wouldn't be a technical lie if he meant they became estranged, or if Nicky cut ties during the war and Jack never saw him again.
I think this is how they will spin it.

That was a good read. I can’t wait until the show comes back. The first episode back sounds really good.

Just finding this thread! I'm also confused that Nicky wasn't on the list when we have been lead to believe he died in the war. Is it possible they didn't find a body so they can't officially say he died??? Not sure how that would work if they thought Nick was possibly recovered by the enemy and could possibly be alive, but after time Jack just said he died since he never saw him again.

Just finding this thread! I'm also confused that Nicky wasn't on the list when we have been lead to believe he died in the war. Is it possible they didn't find a body so they can't officially say he died??? Not sure how that would work if they thought Nick was possibly recovered by the enemy and could possibly be alive, but after time Jack just said he died since he never saw him again.
You must have missed the coming attractions for the rest of the season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!