This is how they are replacing Splash Mountain, really???

I think the setting and ride type work really well for Ratatouille. However . . . have to agree with OP here. Reading that the plot for a mountain-drop ride would be an "ingredients chase" really deflated my excitement. Doesn't seem to fit at all.
I was talking about the movie too, not just the ride. But I do think that rivers and swamps are almost integrated in New Orleans/Cajun culture, so I really think they can make it work. The smaller scenes will be more character-focused, while the finale could take place inside her restaurant, somewhere I know a lot of fans would love to see brought to life.

I was happy to see Disney didn’t go with the “just retell the movie” option that seems to be the default for so many rides (or “more or less the plot of the original movie”, like Frozen)— what I’ve read doesn’t sound especially promising to me, but I’m going to bet on the imagineers to do a better job creating a narrative than I could.

I am a millennial who went on Splash Mountain at least 100x since the early 90s and I never thought the plot of the original ride was all that compelling—does anybody ride it more than once for anything other than the drops? 🤨
Here’s where I agree with you on one hand and disagree on the other…as much as I love Star Wars and wish we’d bulldozed HS for a full park, with lands from every movie, I kinda dog how they made Batuu neutral so they can work different (new) stories in later.

But I really don’t have a ton of interest in what happened to Tiana after the first movie. And I really loved that movie, so I’d love to see all those characters and songs. I don’t see a big need in scarring for a continuation (sequel) that doesn’t even exist yet, and frankly that storyline sounds boring compared to the original.

I think we can all agree, though, that they should have less trouble with logs sinking now that we’re going to be in extremely briny saltwater, right?? LOL (yes, I know……..)

Also disappointed that DD and I had one day at MK in December and Splash went down that night while we were in line, and it never came back up 😞 So we missed our “last ride.” She ignored my advice about not waiting until the end of the night to ride something in case it goes down!

I think the setting and ride type work really well for Ratatouille. However . . . have to agree with OP here. Reading that the plot for a mountain-drop ride would be an "ingredients chase" really deflated my excitement. Doesn't seem to fit at all.
Maybe expand your idea of what the ride is? It's is, and always has been, way more than "a mountain-drop ride"
It's 20 min ride with a drop. What's way, way more than "a mountain drop" don't you think?

Did I read that article wrong? I got the impression that the ingredients chase thing was the theme for the que, not the ride itself. Has Disney even released anything other than the concept art for the ride? I'm with a bunch of other folks, I rarely know or pay attention to the back story of a ride. I do look around in the ques and at the things on the ride (if I have time) and think hmmmm that looks interesting or weird or colorful or whatever but might not know the backstory of the ride.

This sounds kind of disappointing to me as well. I loved Splash, but was onboard with a Tiana theme because it seemed like it would work really well as water ride.

I was kind of thinking a bayou tour featuring Mama Odie, Louis and Ray (he would be singing, of course) with Dr. Facilier in place of the crows, etc. and ending in a big Mardi Gras celebration.

Don’t really care about the story. What’s going to be really sad is when they replace the 60? 70? 80? Animatronics currently in splash mountain with just 5 or so new ones and the rest with digital projectors.
hopefully it won't have a huge gap of nothing in it like frozen over in epcot. that i still think the the biggest "phoned it in" redo because of the movie. they could have just stuck a statue of the girls and olaf in there and it would still be a huge draw.

I am older and not a huge fan of the Princess & the Frog, however I feel if done right this can be nice refurb to the classic ride. If done wrong it will be a huge disappointment since so many love the classic ride. Disney has to listen to fans and get this right. Hopefully they will ditch the Chapek way of doing things and listen to those who will be spending the money to go to the park and ride this thing.

I understand the reason for ditching the Song of the South theming. Problematic to say the least. I will miss the Brer Rabbit story. I have been riding it since it first opened in WDW and always enjoyed it. I feel like a good job was done not really attaching it to the actual movie and just keeping it to the Brer Rabbit theming. But I do get it and welcome the change to Tiana if its done right.

Fingers crossed

Did I read that article wrong? I got the impression that the ingredients chase thing was the theme for the que, not the ride itself. Has Disney even released anything other than the concept art for the ride? I'm with a bunch of other folks, I rarely know or pay attention to the back story of a ride. I do look around in the ques and at the things on the ride (if I have time) and think hmmmm that looks interesting or weird or colorful or whatever but might not know the backstory of the ride.

That's exactly how I read it. People have written 2+ pages of complaints about a line. lol.

You've prejudged something that you truly have no idea about whatsoever. You've just decided to imagine what something is going to be. A bit early to be calling this "awful".
Huh?
The other poster is not allowed to have an opinion on the details that have been released?

I posted back on the first page that Disney is ruining one of the best rides in MK and I noticed quite a few of these 🤣 emoji's. People need to realize we all have opinions and I really do think it's one of the best rides in the MK. Having said that, We as a family have enjoyed Princess and the Frog and I think it's a great movie! My youngest daughter is ecstatic that Tiana will have her own ride as she is her favorite princess and I do believe she needs her own ride but it should be "her own" ride. I think the re theme just doesn't fit in frontier land at all. Again, that's just my opinion. I also think there is a huge potential with Tiana and her ride but not in a "Mountain". I guess time will tell and I will keep an open mind. I just wish Disney would create another ride in its entirety instead of re theming a standing great ride.

Last edited:
I was kind of thinking a bayou tour featuring Mama Odie, Louis and Ray (he would be singing, of course) with Dr. Facilier in place of the crows, etc. and ending in a big Mardi Gras celebration.

obv.gif

I am older and not a huge fan of the Princess & the Frog, however I feel if done right this can be nice refurb to the classic ride. If done wrong it will be a huge disappointment since so many love the classic ride. Disney has to listen to fans and get this right. Hopefully they will ditch the Chapek way of doing things and listen to those who will be spending the money to go to the park and ride this thing.
Listen to which fans, tho? Half are already offended because it's being redone as an IP. No matter how this ride is updated people will be screaming they weren't listened to.

There are popular opposing positions. Disney has to make decisions. That never means they weren't listening.

Last edited:
I'm fine with whatever storyline. I just hope that they make the whole thing feel clean/updated/refreshed and don't take short cuts. I understand the ride itself will remain the same, but the scenery and tech should all be new, shiny, working well, etc. In short, better not be lipstick on a pig.

Maybe expand your idea of what the ride is? It's is, and always has been, way more than "a mountain-drop ride"
It's 20 min ride with a drop. What's way, way more than "a mountain drop" don't you think?
I'm trying to understand, but i find your posts confusing. Wasn't this your post?
Exactly. Some people probably need to not take a theme park ride quite so seriously
Learn to laugh a little. See the humor is getting up in arms over a ride.
Which in the end, isn't changing all that much
So is has the ride, "always been way more than a mountain drop," or do we need to, "not take a theme park ride quite so seriously?"

Your position seems a bit fluid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter