This 2017 PTR is all over the place!! Updated 08/21/17 Nearly time!!

bcwife76, I love your PTR and think it's fun to see all you have going on and how it will all shake out!
Fun times! You've been really great about giving helpful Vancouver info. and tips. Vancouver/Alaska has been on our travel wish for a long time and I'm just getting around to doing some research now for it.
I chimed in on your WDW thread :)
We've done WDW a bazillion times and my kids are a little older now, but we did many trips with them the same age as your DDs so, feel free to ask any questions!

bcwife76, I love your PTR and think it's fun to see all you have going on and how it will all shake out!
Fun times! You've been really great about giving helpful Vancouver info. and tips. Vancouver/Alaska has been on our travel wish for a long time and I'm just getting around to doing some research now for it.

isn't @bcwife76 the best? she helped me a bunch last year for our stay in vancouver before our alaskan cruise too! :D

And you're jealous? I'm jealous of you, you went to Remy twice! And I have a feeling V&A too. I think I have Chuck E Cheese in my near future, if you REALLY want to be jealous!

But to be fair, I am hoping to book the Panama Canal for my 40th next year!

Yup we did go to V&A!
But we'll be on the Magic next year leaving out of NYC! We're on the 7 night Canada Coast cruise. Very excited!! You will have to do a trip report on your time on the Magic from NYC! So excited to read about these cruises!

Ok so I've changed the title of my PTR because it really IS all over the place!

We have changed our cruise. AGAIN.

Yep.

Yay! For the better though...because hello...Star Wars!! :darth: :chewy: :yoda:

I hadn't even made any changes and I overheard him that night, as he was reading with our 7yr old, saying things like "and it's a different ship! And lots more to do! and it's Star Wars!" etc. I have never heard him this excited about any of our cruises before lol :rotfl2:so I figured we were making the right choice.

That's really cute!! I love it when my DH gets excited about Disney, which is somewhat rare compared to how much I get excited. I guess I am excited enough for the both of us!

So I just went online and changed to an oceanview (all the inside rooms are taken) and now we'll fly out of Vancouver on Thursday January 12th via either Toronto or Los Angeles, getting into Orlando around 10pm or 11pm (which is still early since we'll be on West Coast time). Rent a car and drive to WDW! Thinking of a Value hotel (but we'll see later in the Fall when hopefully some deals come out) and probably do Epcot for one day! Before driving to Port Canaveral on the morning of Saturday January 14 for our SWDAS cruise!

*phew*

You still with me?

Yay! That's awesome! I'd totally go porthole in a heartbeat. I realized that cruise didn't actually require a balcony - I mean looking at the ocean and the Caribbean is really nice, but I think I'll save the verandah for the cruises like Alaska or Panama Canal where there are truly more exciting things to see!
I'm so excited for you! Yay!

Up next: @chunkymonkey and @jtba keep your eyes peeled for a Maui mini-TR! :jumping3:

MY EYES ARE WIDE OPEN, AWATING THIS TR!!

@jtba and @chunkymonkey Here's my Maui mini TR!

I'll try and keep this brief because it's not technically Disney-related! lol I'll try and add photos at some point as well but I digress.

Sunday May 22: Since our flight didn't leave until around 6pm our time we had pretty much ALL weekend to pack. Usually we are running around until the last minute. Not this time. By 9am on Sunday our bags were packed and we were sitting around wondering what to do! Having done online check in the night before with both the airline and Alamo car rental we really had everything in place. We left the house around 2:15 and dropped the dog off at the dog kennel en route (it's far from our house but only 10-15 minutes from the airport and she's been going there for years). We'd had some issues with our boarding passes with online check in so we figured we'd just print them at the Air Canada kiosk once we got to YVR. Well the kiosk was also giving us issues so we ended up in line anyway to check in (albeit a shorter line for those of us that had done online check in). Airport was uneventful,flight over was uneventful. Landed in Kahului about 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Getting off the plane we walked through the gate and saw all the serious, sad Canadians waiting to go home - neener neener! :rotfl: Luggage came down quite quickly and then we found our shuttle bus to Alamo (which came in about 30 seconds) and whisked us away to our rental. Thanks to the online check in tip courtesy of @jtba we did NOT have to wait at the check in desk like the 20 other people on our bus but instead we walked straight on the lot where a very helpful young man pointed to a row of Camero and Mustang convertibles and told us to pick! Hubby was in heaven :rotfl2: We did have a small issue in that the trunk was a bit small on the mustang (though bigger than the Camero) so one small suitcase had to ride with the girls in the backseat and then we couldn't find the keys. Helpful Alamo guy pushed the starter (push button starter!) and the car started so he reasoned the keys had to be in the car somewhere. Eventually we found them under drivers side seat and after getting lost briefly (it was dark after all lol) we finally found our way out of the airport and off we went to West Maui, with the top down! :thumbsup2
Drive was about 45 minutes or so, found our condo easily, opened the door and .....it was HOT :eek: No a/c (which we did know about beforehand). Turned on all the fans and opened the lanai door.....hoping it would cool down overnight. Now, it was probably about 10:45pm Maui time (which is 1:45am our time) so everyone was pooped. We quickly put sheets on the pull out sofa for the kids, got them settled and then fell into bed ourselves (it WAS a comfy bed!).

Monday May 23: Not sure what time we got up but it was probably around 7:30. Got everyone dressed and then hubby tried to get the wifi working. Ooops....there were issues. Of course. Finally after about 30 minutes he figured out what the issue was (can't possibly NOT have wifi on vacation :rotfl:) and then we did a search for breakfast places close by. Turns out just down the road from us was a strip mall with a grocery store (Times Market), several other shops and banks, and several restaurants. So we decided on Slappy Cakes (a fancy IHOP, really). And thus brings us to our first (but not last) we paid HOW MUCH TO EAT??????? moment :scared1: Food is not cheap on the Hawaiian islands. We were fully aware of this fact coming into this but still........

Waited about 15-20 minutes for a table (doesn't anyone work?? lol it was 9:30 on a Monday morning haha!!) So the cool thing about Slappy's is they have a griddle at each table (like Teppanyaki) so you can make your own pancakes at your own table if you wish. We thought this would be a good idea for the girls so we ordered them a bottle of chocolate pancake mix and they each chose one dish of fruit to add in/put on top. Can't remember what hubby got but I ordered this breakfast burrito type dish was that delicious and HUGE!!! We were stuffed by this meal. Couldn't finish mine so we took it back to the condo (think hubby had it for lunch lol). The bill was nearly $60US before tip :cool: Yeah, see the high prices aren't just the issue. As Canadians we have to add another 30% on to all our bills. Once the credit card statement came in I think that breakfast cost us $88. :eek:

It was getting hot so at this point we thought we'd go back to the condo, change and go to the beach and then grocery shop later in the afternoon once we needed a break from the heat. Good plan. Seeing the beach and water for the first time from the back of the property was breathtaking. Amazing views. The water was just so gorgeous, so many shades of blue and teal. NOW it felt like we were on vacation!

Our beach was protected by a small reef so the girls got to paddle in ankle deep warm water if they didn't want to go too far out which mean hubby and I could go swimming/snorkeling. And yet the rest of the water was quite shallow so it really was the perfect beach. Oh that first swim was heavenly! :littleangel: This is also where my husband discovered that he now loves snorkeling! ::yes:: Me, not so much (not a fan of putting my face underwater lol).

Had a hard time pulling everyone away from the beach! On our walk back to the unit we checked out the pool and bbq area (right by the beach) and found the laundry rooms (this would come in handy later in the week, though at that point on Monday I had no intention of doing laundry). Everyone got dried off and changed and we went to Times Market for supplies. Tried to be economical because...yeah.....prices :earseek:

The funny this is is that when we shopped we tried to be frugal but for the rest of our food purchases (as you'll find out) we were splashin' the cash about lol Case in point: on the way back from Times Market we stopped at a fish market and got a huge piece of Ahi tuna, some tuna poke and shrimp ceviche and I think the bill for that was about $40 lolSoooooo good though. I will say that we tried to take advantage of eating 'locally' as much as we could so we had a LOT of fruit (pineapples, mangos, papayas, etc) and a lot of fresh seafood that week.

Had a late lunch on our lanai and chilled for a while. I can't remember if we went back to the beach or the pool later that afternoon but I'm fairly confident we did something! Around 6pm we headed out to Costco, which was back in Kahului, with the top down....:thumbsup2 Got a few more supplies for groceries (not too much) and then bought some souvenirs to bring home (a 6 pack of chocolate covered macadamia's for sure!) Also got a 24 pack of locally brewed beer for $23.69! This was on top of the two bottles of wine that we had purchased earlier at Times so we definitely had some nice evening libations every night once the girls were in bed :laughing:

The food court at Costco was very reasonably priced (as it is here at home) and for about $20 the 4 of us ate quite well for dinner AND had leftovers for lunch the next day! Finally, some wise spending :thumbsup2

By the time we got back to the condo it was probably at least 9pm so time for bed for the girls and we caught up with Game of Thrones from the night before (hubby brought some Chrome streaming device thingamabob that enabled him to hook it up to the tv and stream HBO from his free membership:thumbsup2) He's pretty handy to have around!

Ok I've got some errands to run so I'll end it here for now and hopefully I won't take too long finishing this!

Time for an actual PTR update! :rotfl2:

Booked our airfare for Orlando today (finally). Round trip from Vancouver, stopping in San Francisco on the way there and Houston on the way home. Arriving the Thursday night before our cruise (which leaves on the Saturday) so we're staying at two WDW, I've booked us a room at Port Orleans Riverside! At this point still not sure if we will go to Epcot on the Friday (our park of choice) or just tour around the outside of the parks, etc.
My dad's house sold last week, they close mid September so my the rest of my inheritance *should* come through well before the end of 2016....but I'm not counting my $$$ until it's all said and done.
As for the hotel - I wanted to stay at the Poly, dh wanted to stay at Pop Century so we met in the middle (price wise) :laughing: He wants to rent a car at MCO; I think we should just take the ME to the resort and then pay for the DCL transfers to the port - why pay for a car that will be parked for nearly the entire time? However, it's probably still cheaper to rent the car vs the DCL transfers :cool:
Our ADR window opens in just over 3 weeks; I know for sure we want to do dinner at Sanaa on the Friday night and breakfast at Ohana either Friday or Saturday morning but other than than those two I don't think I need any more.

Speaking of ADR's, my reservation window for Disneyland dining opens in one week (though not nearly as important as adr's at WDW). There are about 10 of us now so we might still want to make some ressies ;-) Park hours for DL should be up by mid July as well (I wish they were earlier about that!!!)

Love the Maui update! Can't wait for the pictures!
There is nothing like driving in Maui with a convertible! It's awesome! But yes, barely any trunk space! We also had to put some luggage in the back seat!
Oh man...ahi tuna, tuna poke...just yum! I dream about fresh tuna poke. I make some at home but it just isn't the same with the quality of tuna you get on the east coast vs Hawaii.
I went to slappy cakes too! It was really fun. I like the diy pancake concept.
Can't wait for more of your trip!

Yay for getting airfare! The hard part is over! So excited you're going on a SWDAS cruise! I think staying at POR is a good idea to meet in the middle. I'd definitely do one day at Epcot. Just because, well, it's Epcot! I kick myself if I were so close and not go to Epcot, my favorite park!

Oh and Sanaa and Ohana? Do it!!! LOVED our meal at Sanaa. Might have been one of my favorite meals. It really redeemed Skipper Canteen for us!

Can't believe the hours for aug/sept for DLR aren't out yet! I can't seem to make any plans of when to plan meals and stuff. What meals will you be reserving? We'll most likely do Plaza Inn for breakfast, as well as Storytellers. Maybe Napa Rose, although my sister won't like it that much since she's a picky eater. It's more for DH and I. I think maybe Blue Bayou, but people tell me it's not that great (except the gumbo) - I just remember seeing it and always wanting to eat there. Maybe Ariel's Grotto for princess breakfast? I haven't even looked into DLR meals yet that much!

Love the Maui update! Can't wait for the pictures!
There is nothing like driving in Maui with a convertible! It's awesome! But yes, barely any trunk space! We also had to put some luggage in the back seat!
Oh man...ahi tuna, tuna poke...just yum! I dream about fresh tuna poke. I make some at home but it just isn't the same with the quality of tuna you get on the east coast vs Hawaii.
I went to slappy cakes too! It was really fun. I like the diy pancake concept.
Can't wait for more of your trip!

Yay for getting airfare! The hard part is over! So excited you're going on a SWDAS cruise! I think staying at POR is a good idea to meet in the middle. I'd definitely do one day at Epcot. Just because, well, it's Epcot! I kick myself if I were so close and not go to Epcot, my favorite park!

Oh and Sanaa and Ohana? Do it!!! LOVED our meal at Sanaa. Might have been one of my favorite meals. It really redeemed Skipper Canteen for us!

Can't believe the hours for aug/sept for DLR aren't out yet! I can't seem to make any plans of when to plan meals and stuff. What meals will you be reserving? We'll most likely do Plaza Inn for breakfast, as well as Storytellers. Maybe Napa Rose, although my sister won't like it that much since she's a picky eater. It's more for DH and I. I think maybe Blue Bayou, but people tell me it's not that great (except the gumbo) - I just remember seeing it and always wanting to eat there. Maybe Ariel's Grotto for princess breakfast? I haven't even looked into DLR meals yet that much!

Hopefully I'll get the rest of Maui up by the end of this weekend! Then to figure out the photos.....:rotfl2:

I'm hoping we do Epcot, too but for the 4 of us to do one day would be $396US (which is currently $513 Canadian) so yeah.......doubtful.

As for DL, looks like we will be there with another family. A friend of mine from here always travels to the Bay area for August with her 3 kids because she is originally from there. So she's driving down end of August from the Bay area with her kids and her mom - which means finding ressies for 9 people (including 5 kids ages 8 and under) so yeah.....lol We definitely want to do the new Paint the Night on the Go package https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/paint-the-night-on-the-go-show/

They are doing Goofy's for dinner the night we arrive (we are at Universal that day and not sure if we'll be back in time so probably won't be able to join them). We already have ressies for Medieval Times the night we arrive. So other than that we're not sure at this moment but I'm hoping to sit down with my friend in the next week or two and hammer the details out. I love BB, we haven't been there since 2000, but now that we have two kids price is always on our mind lol Plus our youngest is a picky eater :cool:

Just read this through today (catching up on my PTRs instead of packing :) ).

I love cruising and totally get the multiple changes (it makes DH's head spin). But sometimes a girl's gotta do...

So happy for you that you were able to manage 2 cruises in 2017...it takes a little bit of finagling and sometimes some pixie dust to do so...brava!

(I know what you mean about cruise envy when you have to reschedule..we were scheduled for the 12 night British Isle this year, then changed to the 12 night med this year then had to scrap that and now it's a 7 night med next year. Work is so inconvenient sometimes!)

Have fun at DL/Universal!

Well WDW is all booked!

I booked us a Royal Guest Room with riverview at POR!

I ordered our Epcot tickets!

I customized our magic bands!

I even booked the ME from the airport; I figure if we end up booking a rental car then I can always cancel the ME, but might as well book it now while I'm doing everything else. 199 days to go!!

Next up will be dining reservations in just 19 days, cruise online check in October 16th and then FP+ selection mid-November. :jumping1:

Ok I've got to continue writing about Maui before I forget all about it! :sad:

We were up to Tuesday May 24th. That day we headed north up island to check out some sights and some more beaches. However I don't think we left early enough in the morning as every spot we came upon was quite crowded. My dh got some spectacular photos (will try and add some photos once I'm done this mini TR). After only a short while (maybe an hour) we decided to turn around and start back down heading south so we drove past Honokawai where we were staying, past Lahaina and kept driving for a bit longer until we saw a beach we thought we'd like and stopped lol Not much planning or thought went into it but that's Hawaii for you - see a beach you like? Stop! I think DH went snorkeling for a bit but the waves were a bit rough and kept moving him around so he came and played with us in the water. Once we were sufficiently water logged and hungry we dried off and continued down the road another 15 minutes or so until we got to Leoda's pie shop (recommended to us by our friend who rented us her condo as well as @chunkymonkey !)

http://www.leodas.com/

Instead of getting one big pie we decided to get individual slices so we could try several different flavours. So we spent about $20 on 4 different slices but they were HUGE and delicious!! This would prove to be our dessert after dinner or lunch for the next 3 days at least lol

After we picked up our goodies we headed back to the condo, had a late lunch, tried some pie (of course!) and spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool at our condo.

Ok so now this is where my memory starts to get a bit fuzzy! I know on Wednesday May 25th we went to our Luau, Drums of the Pacific http://drumsofthepacificmaui.com/

But I can't remember if this is the day we also went further south to Kihei and Wailea.....or was that Thursday? But I think we did the road to Hana on Thursday....and Haleakala on Friday....or was that Saturday? DANG IT!!! There is a missing day in there and I can't bloody well remember what we did!!!

So I think I'm going to stop dating things unless I know for sure we did them that day lol

Ok I will be back shortly, my youngest wants to go for a ride on her scooter (her sister is at summer camp this week 9-3 so she's looking for things to do lol :bored:

So while I was out with DD I had a thought - why don't I look at my cc statement (because we had lunch out the day we went to Kihei) to try and get my timeline straight! So I looked and now I've figured it out lol

Thursday we did Kihei, etc, Friday we did Road to Hana and Saturday we did Haleakala. So now that's straight and I can get back to it. Soon....gotta go get some groceries first! :P

so did you and @chunkymonkey know each other before the condo rental or did you meet here randomly then figured out you rented the same condo???

so did you and @chunkymonkey know each other before the condo rental or did you meet here randomly then figured out you rented the same condo???

Oh no, we didn't rent the same condo. @chunkymonkey gave me the pie suggestion for Leoda's and then my friend (who I rented the condo from) told me before we left "you have to try this awesome pie place" and I said "let me guess, Leoda's?" lol

Can't wait to see your pictures! Especially of the Road to Hana and Haleakala!
Leoda's is so yummy and I like how you can get slices of pie or mini pies so you can try different flavors! Yum, I hope to be back some day!

Annnnnnnddddd....

I've figured out photos!

Seriously. I AM as dumb as I look :p

It could NOT be any easier.

FFS.....*grumble grumble*

13335961_10153630158072066_4645010640422256778_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter