Thinking of Christmas

Oh I wished I lived closer! My DDs are big Manchester football fans & I love McVitties! I’m old enough to remember Marks & Spencer in Canada. Does anyone know of any other good British gift stores on more of the eastern/north side of GTA. I’m in Markham.

There is a good one in Ajax on Bayly- it doesn't have the baked goods but it has the candy and chips and stuff and British Isles clothes and sports stuff.
https://www.britishislesshoppe.com/index.php
If you want baked goods then the But 'N'Ben Scottish shop is good for that. They even sell haggis and sausages and they have lots of breads and buns. Of the 3 the one in Scarborough has the fresh meats, bread and goodies, the one in Pickering lots of goodies but not lots of meats and I think the one in Whitby has goodies, the sausage rolls and frozen meats but I haven't been there in a bit.
https://www.butnbenbakery.net/Updated to add Whitby store is closed right now so it would have to be Scarborough or Pickering.

Last edited:
Yeah.......traditions....................
My mom was from UK and my 3 sons father is from Scotland so this shop is somewhat of a tradition,,,I mean what would Christmas be without Crisps, McVities , Snow buttons, Plum pudding & Custard sauce / Rum sauce, Christmas cake and Flakey chocolate bars? LOL
I must admit to loving their mince tarts,,,,oooooh so delicious! (with a dab of whip cream on top!).
Thanks Judy for supplying some links.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Wow gang what a great bunch of ideas!! Thanks

I now have 2 Amazon orders
1 Etsy order
2 Walmart orders
and 1 craft beer LCBO order in and I didn't have to leave the house,,lol.

I've made a list for Little Bit Of Britain , Giant Tiger, Shoppers, and Starbucks drive thru.

I am the type that wraps everything even the gum,chocolate,candy and cookies.
I put everything in *Santa Sacks* new pillow cases.

Happy planning and safe shopping everyone.
Hugs
Mel

My favourite Christmas place to shop
Little Bit Of Britain

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...hUKEwiB1PXh5eTsAhVaG80KHZZXAeEQoiowCnoECBIQAw

We have a wonderful British Shoppe here too, it’s called Simply British. I go there for my Cadbury’s, Shortbread Cookies and Tea’s. - (I’m in the east GTA) Today I picked up a package of Jammie Dodgers Scottish Shortbread jam filled cookies at Canadian Tire of all places 😳

Making my list for Simply British now... 😊

My roots are in the UK too (Wales & Scotland). So many of my family traditions are ones my immigrant Grandparents passed down that we still carry on 😊

I’m keeping my eye out for the Lindt Chocolate in store sale - 100 lindt truffles for $30 (usually $45)

I buy dollar store organza or burlap drawstring bags and fill them (for stockings and for guest take away)

I also use them in dessert recipes.. Chocolate Tart

https://pin.it/5aAS5W8

(looks like you fussed but so simple! The hardest part was finding the rectangular tart pan 😆

And..

Filled Cupcakes..

https://pin.it/6HZRnUY

Last edited:
For those of you who are ready to start listening to the sounds of the season, CHFI in Toronto has moved to 24/7 Christmas music as of 5 this afternoon!

I've listened to this radio station for literally my entire life -- and i mean that, my mom listened to this station and it was always on in the house & the car. Except for the 3 years that I lived in London (Ontario, i ain't that cultured :P ) the first thing i do in the morning is turn the radio on, when i go downstairs I open up an old phone, open up the RadioPlayer Canada App and stream it thru the chromecast, it's the #1 preset in the car ... I need music in the background constantly to sort of block out what's going on around me so i can focus ---drives hubby batty :P

Here's the blurb from their website with links to where you can stream it from. Also a little comment that it's being sponsored by Airmilesshop this year!

It’s been a wild year and we all need a ‘feel good’!
That’s why we can’t wait any longer to bring some festive cheer to Toronto.
Christmas is coming early….tonight at 5, All Christmas Music comes to 98.1 CHFI.

Your Christmas cheer is right here, on 98.1 CHFI!
Join Darren Osborne as we turn on Toronto’s All Christmas Music station.
Click HERE to listen live, click HERE to listen on the RadioPlayer Canada app or listen on your smart speaker anytime

All Christmas Music on 98.1 CHFI is brought to you by our friends at airmilesshops.ca.
Get Miles at over two-hundred online stores like Amazon, Indigo & Sephora.

On the stocking subject.....I'm debating not doing them this year. My kids are both adults and no one contributes to them except me. I insist that between my 2 DD's and DH they make one for me but every year it ends up being my youngest that has to do it on her own. She is starting to resent having to do my stocking and her dad's gift shopping. I don't at all blame her. I can relate to having to do everything.

I've already said that Christmas this year is going to be pretty lean so it might be a good time to stop the stockings or else they will end up being a couple of lottery tickets and a snack. There is no way that I will be going out to 10 different stores trying to accumulate enough stuff.

How creative are you??
There are so many places that sell the individual pods/kcups that you should be able to put together a nice sampler yourself! We have 2 dedicated stores in our city alone, plus Longos sells them and our Home Hardware does as well.

That's a good idea. I don't visit Home Hardware often so I keep forgetting you can purchase individual pods there. I'll have to check it out and see what interesting flavours they have. Thanks!

Ohh, that one from esccoffee looks interesting, thank you. I'll have to see what they charge in the way of shipping and what else they have. I'd like to order two of those packages. UPDATE: I just ordered 6 packages of coffees for the family. Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay, here is a hot topic related to Christmas and stockings!

Does you family:
a) wrap all the little things in the stocking
b) leave everything unwrapped
c) a little bit of both, some things are wrapped, some are not

A bit of both! Some items get wrapped, some don't. I always use a different wrap that does not get used on any other present and keep it hidden away so the kids don't see that particular wrap in the house. When the kids were younger their stockings were large as toy packages took up a lot of room. A few years ago we moved to smaller stockings as they outgrew the typical kid toys. Less gets wrapped these years than in the past.

I put presents under the tree as soon as they are wrapped and as soon as we have a tree, which is the first weekend of December. We get a small real tree each year and keep it for 4-5 weeks. To me having presents under the tree in the few weeks before Christmas adds to the season.

On the stocking subject.....I'm debating not doing them this year. My kids are both adults and no one contributes to them except me. I insist that between my 2 DD's and DH they make one for me but every year it ends up being my youngest that has to do it on her own. She is starting to resent having to do my stocking and her dad's gift shopping. I don't at all blame her. I can relate to having to do everything.

You know, that's a really good idea. I'd like to continue stockings when the kids are adults and I like that idea. I'll have to remember that in a few years. Everyone can contribute by purchasing a bit for each stocking, except their own. We can hang the stockings as part of the Christmas decorations in early December and everyone can add to them throughout the month and not peek inside.

Last edited:
We do stockings for the 2 kids at home still, but do up baskets for the other two and their spouses/kids. Was too much to do stockings for everyone. I hate shopping, and the two older kids have 4 houses that buy for them (my dh's ex's family, my ss's wife's family is split), plus the kids have 3 great grandparents still alive that send gifts. It's insane. So, we usually get some smaller gifts and put money in RESPs for the littles and $ towards a bigger item or travel fund for older ones. In the baskets I put in home made wine, baking, candles, bath bombs, tims cards, some kind of locally made decoration for the house, or ones we've made depending how energetic I am lol... books and game for kids.

For one of our Christmas traditions we get new pajamas on Christmas eve. Sometimes it will just be a new pair of bottoms but this year I have bought almost matching pj's for the family. We are a small family of 6 in 2 houses. My brother and I live in one house with my nephew and his girlfriend and my Mom and my sister (my nephews Mom) live together. We keep telling my nephew he needs to get some new pajamas now and he says I will get some new ones on Christmas eve. He is 28 by the way and still wants the Christmas eve pj's.

For one of our Christmas traditions we get new pajamas on Christmas eve. Sometimes it will just be a new pair of bottoms but this year I have bought almost matching pj's for the family. We are a small family of 6 in 2 houses. My brother and I live in one house with my nephew and his girlfriend and my Mom and my sister (my nephews Mom) live together. We keep telling my nephew he needs to get some new pajamas now and he says I will get some new ones on Christmas eve. He is 28 by the way and still wants the Christmas eve pj's.

We are a new pjs Christmas Eve family too. It started when my siblings & I were little kids.. all of my parents families live on the East Coast - so Mom always made sure we were perfectly presentable in Christmas morning photos that would be sent down home to their families! 😆

My sibs & I have just carried the tradition on, as has my DD with her 3 kiddos. 🎅🏻🎄

DS gets to open two gifts on Christmas Eve, new pj's and a new book.

Funny Chirstmas Store - My father used to stock up stuff for us over the year and he just put it all in a photo copy paper box and write a name on the top and that was our stuff from him to open. There was only 5 of us to get stuff for. He did get us a real gift as well. He was a part time travel agent so used to go to seminars and all the free stuff that he got he gave to us.(you now squishy things, used dice, pens, decks of card, key chains etc) We got quite the eclectic mix of stuff. He passed away (many years ago) on Boxing Day (but was in the hospital before) so when we cleaned out his apartment we found all the labelled boxes for all of us so we opened all of our boxes together and chuckled over the stuff in the box.

That's a good idea. I don't visit Home Hardware often so I keep forgetting you can purchase individual pods there. I'll have to check it out and see what interesting flavours they have. Thanks!
Ohh, that one from esccoffee looks interesting, thank you. I'll have to see what they charge in the way of shipping and what else they have. I'd like to order two of those packages. UPDATE: I just ordered 6 packages of coffees for the family. Thanks!
This week at Loblaws, for every $50 in Home Hardware gift cards, get 7,500 PC pts. ETA: sorry it looks like this ends today Nov. 4th per their flyer.

Last edited:
I found a bunch of different boxes of pods at Bed Bath and Beyond and free shipping over $49 so I am going to order them and make up care packages for those family members who drink coffee.
Oops free shipping over $49.00

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter