Things to do in Philly and after DC

Also here are some FANTASTIC food options. They may not be touristy, but they are in my opinion some of the best Philly has to offer:

Good Authentic Italian Restaurant:

The Saloon Restaurant

Best Philly Cheesteak (imo, sorry alorac):

Jim's Steaks on South Street

I guess it depends on what time you get to Jims. We are usually there after a night out so it is late and there is a line around the corner. With long lines that pile gets turned over in less then five minutes. But I can see if you are there at a slow time (if there is a slow time) that pile may last a little longer.

Pastries:

Isgro

And as PPs have mentioned, if you are a foodie you HAVE TO check out The Reading Terminal Market.

Have fun!

Another vote here for the Mutter Museum, Franklin Institute, Longwood Gardens, Adventure Aquarium, & Battleship NJ. We also enjoy the Academy of Natural Science in Philly. :thumbsup2
If you do take the ferry to the NJ waterfront area for AA or Battleship (both are very nice) I wouldn't walk beyond there. Camden, though small for a city, is one of the worst cities ever. With a car, it becomes normal suburbs about 5 miles east of the Delaware River but I would not be walking around Camden, day or night. (Really, we wouldn't mind if it floated out to sea!):rolleyes:

Also a vote here for Jamestown for Williamsburg area visitors. We loved it! It's so amazing to see how people lived in those days.
Thanks for the advice about Camden. I can be a little paranoid some times, so it's good to know which areas to avoid and when! I do love Natural Science Museums. Sounds like there's a wealth of museums in Philly!

I cant do anything but agree with ^^^ all of that ^^^

Personally, I LOVE the Academy of Natural Sciences. I was surprised it wasn't mentioned as much already. The art museum also really is a spectacular place to visit. The waterworks area behind it is a beautiful and fun place to wander around down by the river and take in views of the famous boathouse row.

I don't think I saw anyone else mention it yet... but I would look into purchasing a City Pass (http://www.citypass.com/philadelphia) its a great deal if you are planning on doing a lot of that stuff.

Also... if you enjoy a good beer, visiting Yards Brewery is a must. Very cool brewpub.

I will also add a vote for visiting Reading Terminal Market. Keep in mind that the Pennsylvania Dutch section isn't open sun-tuesday so make sure you go there Wed-Sat to get the full experience.

Oh... last but not least... do NOT go to Jim's steaks on South Street! haha I do not like the way they cook their meat (all in a big pile causing it to dry out quite a bit).

As some have mentioned... Valley Forge is also a great option as well as some of the historical things in the Brandywine Valley.
Oh, that waterworks area sounds like my cup of tea! So many wonderful choices!

And thanks for the info on the City Pass. That sounds like it will come in handy!

I think we have lunch at the Reading Terminal Market, but I have a feeling I'm going to want to spend more time there than that!

And no Jim's steaks. Check! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

If you think you might do the monuments at night (I agree with the poster above, it's so amazing!) one way to cut down on the walking is to do "Bike the Sites". It's a top rate outfit, check them out on line. Once booked, you go to their storefront get geared up and then a guide takes you from site to site on a bikes. It's super easy flat peddling, mostly on big wide walkways away from traffic (once you navigate the block or two to the mall from the shop). I'm an avid biker, but this was easy enough for our young kids to do and probably a lot easier than walking the whole circuit! We had several who hadn't ridden bikes in years in our group, they were fine! (it's like riding a bike:rotfl:)
Oh, thanks, fgb, that does sound like a really cool way to do the monuments at night! I will look into that!

I was reading this thread and wasn't sure if i should post this, until I read your thread. There is an absolutely amazing landmark in Philly called Eastern State Penitentiary. The architect (John Haviland) was incredible. It was a MAXIMUM security prison, so you can only imagine the story. Here is a photo of the prison and a little exert:

438038496_622289ae7e.jpg
Wow, thanks. Sounds fascinating. We used to have an old Penitentiary in Columbus, but they let it go to ruin and eventually tore it down. These places usually do have the best histories!

Also here are some FANTASTIC food options. They may not be touristy, but they are in my opinion some of the best Philly has to offer:

Good Authentic Italian Restaurant:

The Saloon Restaurant

Best Philly Cheesteak:

Jim's Steaks on South Street

Pastries:

Isgro

And as PPs have mentioned, if you are a foodie you HAVE TO check out The Reading Terminal Market.

Have fun!
Yumm! But, oh-oh! I've been warned by someone else to not go to Jim's Steaks! :rotfl:I smell a rivalry going on... ;) I love non-touristy restaurants. Thanks!

Sayhello

I was reading this thread and wasn't sure if i should post this, until I read your thread. There is an absolutely amazing landmark in Philly called Eastern State Penitentiary. The architect (John Haviland) was incredible. It was a MAXIMUM security prison, so you can only imagine the story. Here is a photo of the prison and a little exert:

438038496_622289ae7e.jpg

They also do a scary tour around Halloween. (Sorry OP, I didn't note when your trip will be.) I've never done it since I'd be scared of the dark for another 10 yrs after but I've heard it's good. ;)

Oh, thanks, fgb, that does sound like a really cool way to do the monuments at night! I will look into that!

Wow, thanks. Sounds fascinating. We used to have an old Penitentiary in Columbus, but they let it go to ruin and eventually tore it down. These places usually do have the best histories!

Yumm! But, oh-oh! I've been warned by someone else to not go to Jim's Steaks! :rotfl:I smell a rivalry going on... ;) I love non-touristy restaurants. Thanks!

Sayhello

Oh yes, and it's vicious. :rotfl: Jim's vs. Pat's vs. Geno's. Just pick one and you'll get a good Philly cheesesteak. :flower3:

Sayhello, a little time has gone by on this thread, you may have already decided on your itinerary, but I'll add my suggestions.

There is always so much to do, not enough time!

I also highly recommend Longwood Gardens if you have the time. If not, a trip out that way another time maybe combined with some Reading Pa. outlets shopping would be a great time.

A little more obscure but a gem, if you like art, the Brandywine River Museum in Chadd's Ford.
It is so beautiful there! Peaceful, a little slice of heaven away from the bustle of the city.

For DC, we really like the Mayflower, I think you will like it. Our favorite hotel is the Williard Intercontinental. It is perfectly located, beautiful, and very historical. Our favorite place to eat there is Cafe du Parc, they have an amazing brunch buffet. Old Ebbitt Grille is about 2 blocks away and has amazing seafood and delicious reasonably priced food for the city. Historical as well.

The Holocaust Museum is a *must do*. I would put this at the top of the list!

Also, something different, the Bascilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on the campus of the Catholic University of America is amazing if you like architecture. Many tourists, both Catholic and non-Catholic alike come here.
There are scores of tiny shrines that represent cultures from all over the world. You can get a guide book and tour/read on your own, or you can go on a guided tour. We now go every time we visit DC.

Have fun planning! I love reading about all your ABD adventures and am excited to hear about your experiences with destinations I'm so familiar with.

Sayhello, a little time has gone by on this thread, you may have already decided on your itinerary, but I'll add my suggestions.

There is always so much to do, not enough time!

I also highly recommend Longwood Gardens if you have the time. If not, a trip out that way another time maybe combined with some Reading Pa. outlets shopping would be a great time.

A little more obscure but a gem, if you like art, the Brandywine River Museum in Chadd's Ford.
It is so beautiful there! Peaceful, a little slice of heaven away from the bustle of the city.

For DC, we really like the Mayflower, I think you will like it. Our favorite hotel is the Williard Intercontinental. It is perfectly located, beautiful, and very historical. Our favorite place to eat there is Cafe du Parc, they have an amazing brunch buffet. Old Ebbitt Grille is about 2 blocks away and has amazing seafood and delicious reasonably priced food for the city. Historical as well.

The Holocaust Museum is a *must do*. I would put this at the top of the list!

Also, something different, the Bascilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on the campus of the Catholic University of America is amazing if you like architecture. Many tourists, both Catholic and non-Catholic alike come here.
There are scores of tiny shrines that represent cultures from all over the world. You can get a guide book and tour/read on your own, or you can go on a guided tour. We now go every time we visit DC.

Have fun planning! I love reading about all your ABD adventures and am excited to hear about your experiences with destinations I'm so familiar with.
Thanks, minniebeth! I am *far* from decided on my itinerary yet, so I really appreciate the input! I'll check these out. The Bascilica you mention sounds really interesting. I've never heard of it, but I will definitely do some research on it. Sounds like my kind of site!

And thanks for the restaurant rec's too!

Thanks!
Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter