Things learned from rope dropping

goodeats

DIS Veteran
We just came back, and most days we were there for rope drop. One morning we were at the Tomorrowland rope, maybe a few rows back. We speed walked with the crowd, but we found that so many people were heading to Space that it created a bottle neck and it was relatively slow to get on. If you arrived at 9:15 it would have been almost smoother. I think the line stayed low for awhile. I wonder if rope dropping Buzz or TL Speedway and then heading to Space would have been more efficient? Any thoughts?

We used a FOP FP, but when looking at the app I noticed it had a huge line first hour of the day, but later in the day the line was shorter (like 180 vs 90). I feel like SDD is the same.

For FoP, that's why you get there about an hour before park open, if you do, it is fast. If you go to rope drop right at rope drop (say you get there at 7:55 for an 8 am opening) for FoP, you might as well wait til later in the day.

I've always thought there was an art to rope drop - but I admit I'm still figuring out my best options with FP+ as it changed everything from the old paper days. We used to send someone running to Space for a paper ticket while we continued to PP. Now, I like that you can stay together and save steps but FP+ seems to push the rides that are hard to get to the start of the day for those that didn't get one - and changes the pattern flow for all the rides that used to have no waiting most of the day . . . still doing better than most in getting rides in but always wanting to do better . . . .

Surprised Space is still that crowded first thing as the FP hasn't been hard to get on a "refresh" later in the day.

When we were there in April, at RD, the big push was to Fantasyland, only a small crowd headed to Tomorrowland. We did Space twice with minimal wait, then Buzz with a 5 minute wait. when we came out, it was 20 minutes and we moved onto other rides.

I plan to rope drop Peter Pan but I have a 6 month pregnant woman and 2 year old in a stroller in tow.

Is it going to be worth it to even try? We are not running and I have to park the stroller. How fast does it go from 5 to 40 minutes usually?

I feel that more and more people are trying to squeeze into that rope drop window. Only the first 50 or so are getting much out of it, with 1000 on their heels who all have heard how great it is from those 50 on forums and blogs. The mornings are still quieter, but riding headliners is not a sure thing.

Soon refresh may suffer as well.

For FoP, that's why you get there about an hour before park open, if you do, it is fast. If you go to rope drop right at rope drop (say you get there at 7:55 for an 8 am opening) for FoP, you might as well wait til later in the day.

Sure you have a quick wait at FOP, but you did still wait an hour for the park to even open. As someone who is so very much NOT a morning person, it's not worth it for me.

When we were there in April, at RD, the big push was to Fantasyland, only a small crowd headed to Tomorrowland. We did Space twice with minimal wait, then Buzz with a 5 minute wait. when we came out, it was 20 minutes and we moved onto other rides.

This has been our experience every single time.

We ride Space 2/3 times, over to Buzz, a trip around TL on the Peoplemover and by then we’re ready to use FPs.

Glad this post is here as I was just pondering this for our trip for a party of 8 between 1/29 and 2/6. We are going on 1/30 to do Fantasyland and Tomorrowland only. I had planned to rope drop FL but I seem to be leaning towards TL and fast passing SDMT, PP, and Pooh. I had played with the touring plan tool with both Buzz and Space first and it seems to like Space after Buzz. Not sure how to fit Astro Orbiter in there but We will then hit the Speedway before heading to Fantasyland.

At MK we always hit PP first.
This is what we do in the first 2 hours prior to lunch at BOG...
PP, IASW, HM, Mickey's Philharmagic, Pooh, Under the Sea, 7DMT FP+.
At HS we can generally do RNRC, TOTx2, TSM with a FP+, and VOTLM and then over to BATB for the 11am show.
Rope dropping works very well for us.

I plan to rope drop Peter Pan but I have a 6 month pregnant woman and 2 year old in a stroller in tow.

Is it going to be worth it to even try? We are not running and I have to park the stroller. How fast does it go from 5 to 40 minutes usually?

We just did this at the beginning of August. We had a double stroller AND an ECV. We got to the park a little after 8 (park opened at 9 that day), moseyed on up to the rope by the stage around 8:30 and we were right at the rope. After the welcome show, there was just a slight delay for them dropping the ropes, but we walked at a normal pace through the castle, parked our stroller and ECV by the carousel, and waited only about 15-20 min for peter pan.

So it wasn't a walk-on for us, but we didn't feel stressed or rushed. Plus the PP queue is a lot of fun with kids.

Tip: If you're looking at the castle, wait on the RIGHT side of the castle path. There is shade on that side in the morning and a water fountain nearby.

Absolutely, do that and take your time! That has definitely been our strategy in the past. We love adventure land and we RD it to do everything 9from carpets, jungle, tiki etc). It’s what is important to you. We are skipping the circus portion of fantasy all together.

What we learned at MK is that the masses of people head towards Fantasy Land so we went toward frontier and adventure land. It is like we had the park to ourselves, well not really but it is easy on many rides with 5 minute waits.

Sure you have a quick wait at FOP, but you did still wait an hour for the park to even open. As someone who is so very much NOT a morning person, it's not worth it for me.

This is true but you didn't use park time to do it and if you're one of the first on FOP (as I was when I rope dropped it) then you still have no lines at other rides like Navi river and expedition everest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter