They won't let me do the dining plan.....help?

owenbyd

Mouseketeer
Where to start? :confused3

I am attending a seminar via my employer at the Disney Institute for 3.5 days. This seminar includes lodging at the CR for Sunday - Wednesday night. We are adding an extra 2 nights on (discounted for $188) at the Poly. It also includes a 3-day hopper for me since my 'homework' will be at the parks :smooth:

For a discount, my family can get hopper tickets ($229.09 for 5-days > 10 years old; $193.62 < 9 years old). Myself, my hubby, a teenager, an infant and a preschooler will be in one room.

Okay...Now...WDW Dining says that I cannot add the dining option to my ticket because I have to buy a hotel/ticket package to do that. I contend that I *have* bought a package just via the Institute. When I call the Institute, they refer me back to WDW Dining.

Should I just keep trying until I get a CM who agrees or am I barking up the wrong tree? :confused3

Thanks for bearing with me!!

I am afraid I can offer no help. Generally the DDP can only be added to non-discounted packages.

You may be barking up the wrong tree. My understanding is to book the DDP, you have to book through Disney reservations or AAA only.

Sorry! But I would keep trying until you get an explanation from a CM sin ce you are booking through Disney Institute.

Good Luck! :grouphug:

Talking to someone else is not going to help.

You have to pay full rack rate for your room and purchase tickets at full cost to qualify for the plan, you don't qualify. You can not add the dining plan to a discounted plan or package or discounted room, etc.

Sorry but this trip due to the perks and discounts you are getting, no DDP.

The DP isn't available with discounted packages other than AAA that I am aware of. That's the catch - you pay rack rate for your room to get the DP.

Since this thread question seems to have been settled, can I hijack it for a moment? Thanks.

I thought the Disney Institute closed years ago and is not Saratoga Springs. Is there another Disney Institute? TIA

Is your employer flexible at all? If you really want to have the dining plan, maybe you could take the total they would have spent to put you up at the CR (including the cost of your ticket) and ask if you could apply that amount of money to a moderate with a package through CRO that includes DDP. Or, could you pay OOP and rent points for DVC (you can add the DDP without buying tickets), and submit a receipt for reimbursement? Don't know if either of these options will help...just trying to think outside the box!

owenbyd said:
Where to start? :confused3

I am attending a seminar via my employer at the Disney Institute for 3.5 days. This seminar includes lodging at the CR for Sunday - Wednesday night. We are adding an extra 2 nights on (discounted for $188) at the Poly. It also includes a 3-day hopper for me since my 'homework' will be at the parks :smooth:

For a discount, my family can get hopper tickets ($229.09 for 5-days > 10 years old; $193.62 < 9 years old). Myself, my hubby, a teenager, an infant and a preschooler will be in one room.

Okay...Now...WDW Dining says that I cannot add the dining option to my ticket because I have to buy a hotel/ticket package to do that. I contend that I *have* bought a package just via the Institute. When I call the Institute, they refer me back to WDW Dining.

Should I just keep trying until I get a CM who agrees or am I barking up the wrong tree? :confused3

Thanks for bearing with me!!
Unfortunately, you are barking up the wrong tree...

The DDP is part of a WDTC vacation package. You must book via WDTC to include the DDP as part of your vacation.

Convention reservations are booked through their own department and are not part of the WDTC. Even though you have added park tickets, it still is not a package. Think of it as being a CRO room only reservation with KTTW tickets. And just like a CRO reservation you cannot add the DDP to your vacation.

However, take solace in the fact that you are receiving an incredible discount on your room at the Poly...even better than an AP or FL resident rate.

With the rate you are getting on the Polynesian, tickets etc, you are much better off just to pay out of pocket for food.

Rack rate for the Polynesian even during Value season is $315 before taxes for a garden room.

Take this up with the Institute (not WDW Dining). It is up to the Institute, only, to address the issue, internally. I suspect that the Institute is not concerned about offering its patrons the Dining Plan, and that's why that option doesn't exist. DVC members were also unable to get the Dining Plan for a while, until we got DVC to make the arrangements with Disney Dining to start offering the Dining Plan as part of our reservations.

I know it won't help the OP but don't you need to book a rack rate package only to get the free dining (when offered?) In other words, next year if I want to buy a AAA discount package can't I still get the dining plan with it?

I'd skip dinning and keep my $188 rate at the POLY. You could book a moderate resort directly with Disney and get dining. You won't get a huge savings but ask if you can buy meal vouchers.

You don't get a AAA room discount and free dining. It's one or the other.

Lewisc said:
I'd skip dinning and keep my $188 rate at the POLY. You could book a moderate resort directly with Disney and get dining. You won't get a huge savings but ask if you can buy meal vouchers.

You don't get a AAA room discount and free dining. It's one or the other.

I meant if I was paying for Dining. Could I then still get a discount room rate as part of a package? All the replies here imply that you can never get a discounted package and the dining plan. But my thought was that is only true if the Dining is FREE. No? :confused3

frayedend said:
I meant if I was paying for Dining. Could I then still get a discount room rate as part of a package? All the replies here imply that you can never get a discounted package and the dining plan. But my thought was that is only true if the Dining is FREE. No? :confused3

A AAA TA can usually add dining to a AAA discounted room. Some of the Disney code discounts will let you add dining to a discounted room. As of now you can't add dining to rooms booked with an AP, FL resident or CM discount.

Lewisc said:
A AAA TA can usually add dining to a AAA discounted room. Some of the Disney code discounts will let you add dining to a discounted room. As of now you can't add dining to rooms booked with an AP, FL resident or CM discount.

Thanks for the info Lewis!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter