There is a new thread:* Don't post here* 2014 BC&YC FAQ *MAY-SEPT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those resort mugs can hide a multitude of sins :drinking1 I byob white wine or vod & OJ to pool as well. And I use it at Epcot to carry back thru IG one of those lovely slushy drinks from France. Grand Marnier slushy mmmmm!!!

We are staying at BC in Sept. We've always driven before, but for this trip we are flying from NJ. I wouldn't mind a glass of wine on the balconey or in my resort mug by the pool.
Question: How does one safely pack a bottle of wine in a piece of checked luggage?

7 days away from making our "100 Day Countdown Paper Chain"!!! woo hoo!

Hello BC/YC friends!

We're planning a 2015 trip and have settled, after a little debate on the pros and cons of various other resorts, that this would be our ideal stop! Then of course the large debate between BC or YC began... I think we've settled now on YC because of the much better chance of getting a full balcony, the slightly cheaper cost and its profile of being the more 'adult' of the two. Would you Disney masters agree with this pick, or are we perhaps a bit muddled?

Search for the smaller number and book it. Then go back in and copy the FP+ plan to the other members. :thumbsup2

That's actually what I did to get the one on Sunday. Still couldn't do that for Friday or Saturday. I figured it must be because Friday and Saturday is actually the end of many people's vacation where it's the beginning of ours. Those probably got snapped up by the group that could book 60 days+ the week before. No problem, we just moved some things around. Normally I probably wouldn't even bother with the A&E fastpass but my 4 year old niece wants it as one of her must dos and of course the rest of us want to "see" her meet them. :)

Hello BC/YC friends! We're planning a 2015 trip and have settled, after a little debate on the pros and cons of various other resorts, that this would be our ideal stop! Then of course the large debate between BC or YC began... I think we've settled now on YC because of the much better chance of getting a full balcony, the slightly cheaper cost and its profile of being the more 'adult' of the two. Would you Disney masters agree with this pick, or are we perhaps a bit muddled?
We love the BC but would not hesitate to stay at the YC if it was cheaper. :)

We love the BC but would not hesitate to stay at the YC if it was cheaper. :)

I have often seen it posted that YC is "cheaper" but when I go on the wdw site the price for YC and BC are the same. What am I missing? :confused3
(btw- my family is dead-set on BC for this trip, but for future trips I am interested in what sounds like a way to get better rate at YC)

16 days!!!! We leave in 16 days...I'm re reading all the info I can, our family is so excited!!! First time at the YC and first time CL, so so excited. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Does anyone know if the CL refurb will be done by the first week in December?

vettegirl said:
Does anyone know if the CL refurb will be done by the first week in December?

According to post #1 of this thread, there has been no start date even announced yet.

We are staying at BC in Sept. We've always driven before, but for this trip we are flying from NJ. I wouldn't mind a glass of wine on the balconey or in my resort mug by the pool.
Question: How does one safely pack a bottle of wine in a piece of checked luggage?

My plan is to double wrap the wine bottles individually in trash bags and then pack them in the middle of a structured suitcase (ie. rectangular wheeled bag rather than giant duffel bag) surrounded by clothes. I am also considering packing the clothes in garbage bags/giant ziplocks, but will probably be too lazy. We will probably bring 2-3 bottles of wine.

I am also planning on packing some bananas in a box in the middle of a duffel bag, as well as english muffins and apples.

Yes! We had no problem getting the Mine Train! I think our biggest problem with not getting the exact day we wanted for Anna & Elsa was because there are 12 of us. I could any day I put in for a smaller number.

Did you try booking Anna and Elsa for just you (one person) then copying the FPP reservation to all the other in your party?

page 9-13

A lot of questions and conflicting info in these past few pages about early morning buses and getting to the parks (or other resorts) for pre-opening breakfast or other events.

I wish I had a concise, definitive answer for everyone. Buses are supposed to start rolling at 6:30. Do they? I don't know. The earliest I have been out a the bus stop is 7:30- plenty of buses.

My general recommendation is to get out to the bus stop in plenty of time before your reservation, like maybe an hour (more time if it is at another resort, Poly or CR). If a bus (or boat) is not there 30 minutes before your reservation, consider taking a cab (or walking in the case of HS or a cab for $10). It is about a 15 minute ride to MK, AK, the Poly or CR.

On my "FAQ Wish List" I would love to have informational posts about early transportation within the World, split stays (resort to resort luggage transfer and other issues) and RAC: Resort Airline Checkin. Down the line, if/when I ever have time I will try to put something together.

But until then, we will just keep trying to respond as best we can to these questions.

:goodvibes

We are here at the YC now and encountered this issue on Monday. We didn't see any boats and since I had developed a blister, we didn't want to walk that morning - its a nice walk but we didn't want to spend the steps. We took a cab and it was $10 with the tip.

We also had an 8 am breakfast at AK on Sunday, and I learned (from the front desk, bell desk and concierge) there is no longer a bus for early ADRs, and the bus doesn't begin to run until an hour before park opening. The last few years I have been here, at different resort hotels, there has always been a 6:30 bus. We drove to AK, but that's something to verify and keep in mind if you have early ADRs elsewhere.

Not sure if you have posted here before or not, so just in case

:welcome: to the thread.

:)

Teena: Hoping to see you for our Thanksgiving trip this year!!! Have to wait until DD does her "traditions" for the college program (she arrives on August 4th!!!) to see if we will be able to get a discounted room at BC and or YC!! I hope BC is available for that. We may do a split stay with WL also!

She is so excited about the DCP, her dream (she has been chosen in merchandising) would be to work in the BC gift shop!!

Fingers crossed for DH, he loves staying at BC and visiting with you!!

P.S. Richard says hello, and he has to admit that the Magic Bands were pretty awesome....but he still hasn't made up his mind on the whole FP+ thing!!!

That is so exciting about your daughter's acceptance into the CP!!! I wouldn't be surprised if that was something Ben would want to do in the future.

:thumbsup2

Hi everybody!

This is a great thread with so much info! Have been lurking a little while but have finally managed to set our dates. We will be staying at the BCV january 17. to february 2. 2015. We beeing me and my two good freinds (girls trip yay!)

Found so much great info here I first thought there could be no way I actually needed to ask a question and then I remembered I'm planning a breakfast at ohana on our first morning for my stich crazy first time visitor cousin. I'm hoping to go as early as possible (we are early risers) but when should I plan to take the buss to MK to be sure we make it? Is an hour enough?

Thanks!

:welcome:

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list.

:woohoo:

Hi - we arrive this Friday (yay!). I already completed on-line check in, but we received an email from Itinerary Planning Services at Beach Club asking us to respond with arrival time, room requests, etc. Do I really need to give them this info again? I thought it was a bit odd. I don't want to ignore if its important. We are staying in a Standard room.

Have a great trip!

I don't know if you decided to provide the requested info to IPO or not, but I wouldn't miss any opportunity to let them know once again that I would like a full balcony, please!

Hi All,

What a great thread! I am excited to be returning to the YC after a 5 year absence. I feel terrible that my 15 yr old daughter has not been to Disney in 5 years, though I snuck in a trip there by adding days to a business trip couple years back.
We will be at YC from 7/26/14-8/3/14 with my DD and mother/grandmother. My mom has not done Disney with us in over 10 years and I am wondering about how to manage, as she cant walk far and long. She has never used a scooter or other devices, but I know she can't do the parks walking alot anymore with some issues. If we do rent a scooter while in the parks, does this mean it stays with us the whole time? I've never paid any attention to them, whether it's like a mini car, with a key and you park it, or does it come back to the hotel room? It seems Disney rentals are very expensive and I have seen others more reasonable, but we are not sure if a scooter is more of a hassle. She can walk up and down stairs, get on a bus, but it's the long time at parks that's the problem. So is this worth it to use, then she would have to use the scooter on the bus back to hotel, etc?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
Diana

:welcome:

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list.

:cool1:

Search for the smaller number and book it. Then go back in and copy the FP+ plan to the other members. :thumbsup2

THANKS for this tip!!! Next week, I am going to be helping the teachers set up accounts and book FP for 120 people in 9 groups of between 8 and 17 members. This info may come in very handy.

I don't know! A lot of people will buy their beer and wine when they arrive, either in the BC Marketplace, at the Hess Gas Station near Boardwalk or even from Italy or Germany in the World Showcase. Not sure how inflated the prices are or if they have something you would like in their selection of offerings.

Hello BC/YC friends!

We're planning a 2015 trip and have settled, after a little debate on the pros and cons of various other resorts, that this would be our ideal stop! Then of course the large debate between BC or YC began... I think we've settled now on YC because of the much better chance of getting a full balcony, the slightly cheaper cost and its profile of being the more 'adult' of the two. Would you Disney masters agree with this pick, or are we perhaps a bit muddled?

I bleed Beach Club Blue but I would not hesitate or be disappointed at all in a stay at the YC.

Go for it! (And let us know when you book so I can add you to the Guest List)

:yay:

natebenma said:
page 9-13

A lot of questions and a lot of conflicting info in these past few pages about early morning buses and getting to the parks (or other resorts) for pre-opening breakfast or other events.

I wish I had a concise, definitive answer for everyone. Buses are supposed to start rolling at 6:30. Do they?

I can confidently say, yes they do. I have been on a bunch of them between 6:30 and 7. They don't run as often though.

page 9-13

That is so exciting about your daughter's acceptance into the CP!!! I wouldn't be surprised if that was something Ben would want to do in the future.

:yay:

I know!!! Our youngest, Lauren, is also wanting to try it!! Of course she is the one that dreams of being "Belle" one day!!! Hopefully both of my girls will LOVE working there, and will both move there permanently so DH and I will get to see them when WE retire there!!!!

Hi All,

What a great thread! I am excited to be returning to the YC after a 5 year absence. I feel terrible that my 15 yr old daughter has not been to Disney in 5 years, though I snuck in a trip there by adding days to a business trip couple years back.
We will be at YC from 7/26/14-8/3/14 with my DD and mother/grandmother. My mom has not done Disney with us in over 10 years and I am wondering about how to manage, as she cant walk far and long. She has never used a scooter or other devices, but I know she can't do the parks walking alot anymore with some issues. If we do rent a scooter while in the parks, does this mean it stays with us the whole time? I've never paid any attention to them, whether it's like a mini car, with a key and you park it, or does it come back to the hotel room? It seems Disney rentals are very expensive and I have seen others more reasonable, but we are not sure if a scooter is more of a hassle. She can walk up and down stairs, get on a bus, but it's the long time at parks that's the problem. So is this worth it to use, then she would have to use the scooter on the bus back to hotel, etc?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
Diana

Last summer we had to rent a scooter for my mom due to issues she was having with swelling in her knee/foot. After a couple of days hobbling around, we knew the only way she was going to last the full 10 days was to rent a scooter to help her get around.

We rented from apple scooter which is an officially sponsored Disney vendor. That means they can drop off/pick up with bell services vs us having to physically be there at those times.

We called that morning and had a scooter delivered that afternoon. I wanted to reserve a head of time so it would be waiting for us but my mom insisted she didn't want to use one. Once she knew her injuries were slowing us down and didn't want to ruin the trip, she agreed.

Quickly figured out how to drive it. You have your own key. Charge overnight and never had a problem losing battery power. Easily fit into the room. She did not like trying to maneuver on the busses but wasn't much if an issue since staying at BC and walked to Epcot and boat to DHS. We ended up using our car to get to MK after the first time and to AK as well. DH just put scooter in the back of the SUV. We would easily lift in and out together. If your mom also didn't like using the busses you could take a van cab and I am sure the driver could assist.

Yes the scooters Disney rents are very expensive. I think ours for over a week was about the cost of 2-3 days in park. And yes, you do have to leave there. You only get use inside the park itself and must pay for a new one each day. If you park hop, I am sure you can show receipt to get one at second park of the day. Also you have to worry about them not having one available. Even at those prices I saw signs out front saying they were out.

It also saves time having your own not having to wait in line each day and pay for a new one. My mom did not need to use around the resort/pool but did use to go over to the boardwalk.

I hope you and your mom and daughter have a great time . We love our multi-generation trips. Lots of good family memories and this last time, the scooter made a world of difference keeping those happy.

They sell protective wine bags that you can put your wine in. IF the bottle should break in your luggage, it will contain the spill so that your luggage remains dry. :)

Just google "protective wine bags" or something similar and you will see a lot of options. I have gotten one for around $6 and some are reusable.

Have fun with your paper chain countdown.

Forgot to add, I believe there is a limit of 2 bottles per luggage. Not sure if this is the airline's rules or TSA. I just remember seeing it last year on a website.

at the BC that DH & I are doing a trip for our anniversary in September too! Can you add us to the September list? After much debate (we were considering AKL) we decided to try the YC September 22-26 since we know we will like being in the Epcot area. Can't wait to do F & W and we are splurging on the Wild Africa Trek.

I have often seen it posted that YC is "cheaper" but when I go on the wdw site the price for YC and BC are the same. What am I missing? :confused3
(btw- my family is dead-set on BC for this trip, but for future trips I am interested in what sounds like a way to get better rate at YC)

You are right that the posted prices (rack rate) for YC and BC are the same. But YC will often receive a better discount than BC. The most current room only discount is a good example of this. The BC has a 20% room only discount 8/16/14 to 10/3/14 while the YC has a 30% discount. That is a pretty good savings. :)

We often do wine on the balcony when staying at YC. While I agree bringing your own works -- I just wanted to mention for those who may not know, or if bringing your own is a hassle, there are some adequate bottles at the YC gift shop at an okay price (really), more choices at Boardwalk gift shop. Same goes for Italy and France in Epcot. (I think at Germany too, but I don't like German wine, so not as familiar.) Some of the Epcot choices are not ridiculously overpriced. ;)

Yet another reason YC/BC rocks: proximity to Epcot as a wine store. :thumbsup2

During F&W, the festival center has wine and spirits, some of which are not overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter