Theft inside the bubble?

yorkieteacher

DIS Veteran
I have previously believed that folks who went to Disney were all pixie dust and happiness, lol (more or less!). At the resort pools I would leave my pool bag containing my phone and small bills for drink tips on my chair when I got into the pools. Now with videos of fights in the parks and such, I sadly see WDW also reflects the real world. I know on the cruise I will need my phone. I frequently go to the adult pools, aqua duck and hot tubs without my husband. I am thinking I need to get a waterproof pouch and keep my phone attached to my lanyard some way if I ride the Aqua Duck or make sure to never take my eyes off my pool bag when in the pools and hot tubs. Is this over thinking it? Have you heard of or experienced any theft on a cruise?

We always use a waterproof pouch for phones. Someone did take a magnet from our door one time but I found it several doors down—likely some teenage prank. I also had someone once dump my cover up and flip flops on the wet pool deck so they could take my seat while I was at the restroom—glad I didn’t leave my phone there. Just pointing out there are reasons beyone the risk of theft to keep valuables with you.

We were on a cruise some years back and someone had stolen a camera from a lounger at Castaway Cay. I think one of my daughters said it was the parents of one of their friends in the kids club that were the victims. You have to be aware of your surroundings and DCL is not immune from crimes. It's not all bunny rabbits and butterflies at Disney.:)

The only thing i will add is I have gotten my kids a waterproof pouch with lanyard for
Aqua duck. Works very well.

Which one did you get? I lost the one we used last time and need to get a new one. I would prefer one that has been Aqua Duck tested LOL.

Why would you need your phone? Check the app before you leave your room to make sure you know your game plan for the next few hours, leave the phone there until you are done at the pool.

Why would you need your phone? Check the app before you leave your room to make sure you know your game plan for the next few hours, leave the phone there until you are done at the pool.

Perhaps the kids are elsewhere and you want to keep the phone around in case they try to contact you? I could think of a few other reasons, too.

Perhaps the kids are elsewhere and you want to keep the phone around in case they try to contact you? I could think of a few other reasons, too.
Wow, they can't just walk down to the pool? Sorry, I can't believe how dependent some people are on their cell phones. Of course, for us, our cruises with our kids were a time to be with our kids. Lord knows at home during the school year and with after school sports, we might see them for 2 or 3 hours a day. Our cruises were our time to be a family together for a week.

Wow, they can't just walk down to the pool? Sorry, I can't believe how dependent some people are on their cell phones. Of course, for us, our cruises with our kids were a time to be with our kids. Lord knows at home during the school year and with after school sports, we might see them for 2 or 3 hours a day. Our cruises were our time to be a family together for a week.
Not if you are at the adult pool where kids aren’t allowed. Also, if kids are in the Oceaneer club, you need your phone so the club staff can contact you. Wave phones are no longer provided—club contacts you via the app.

Some people take photos? Some might want to make a dining reservation or see what time an activity is? It also doesn't have to be a phone to be valuable. I bring my Kindle to the pool to read. It's not a cheap thing to replace.

I have previously believed that folks who went to Disney were all pixie dust and happiness, lol (more or less!). At the resort pools I would leave my pool bag containing my phone and small bills for drink tips on my chair when I got into the pools. Now with videos of fights in the parks and such, I sadly see WDW also reflects the real world. I know on the cruise I will need my phone. I frequently go to the adult pools, aqua duck and hot tubs without my husband. I am thinking I need to get a waterproof pouch and keep my phone attached to my lanyard some way if I ride the Aqua Duck or make sure to never take my eyes off my pool bag when in the pools and hot tubs. Is this over thinking it? Have you heard of or experienced any theft on a cruise?

Honestly, I bring my Phone up to the pool deck every time. I usually put it under my T shirt or in my bag while in the pool to keep it out of sight but I always have my eye on the bag/our stuff. Thankfully we haven't experienced any theft on the ships but at the same time we are cautious. I try to keep it in range of my watch to still get text messages.

They sell little combo lock bags you could always keep in a back pack or something to put your phone in if you leave it unattended. I have a friend who has one that she can actually cable on to a chair/table leg if needed.

On embarkation day, my wife left her cell phone on the table where we ate lunch, realized it as we were walking out of the restaurant and it was stolen in that time frame. My guess is by the crew as there were not new guests at or near our table. Never turned in and using the locate my phone app just showed it was on the ship. I don't trust anyone anywhere anytime sadly.

In fairness Disney has pointed us this way by putting everything on the app and getting rid of paper navigators. And what others said about wanting to take photos of your kids having a good time at the pool.

Which one did you get? I lost the one we used last time and need to get a new one. I would prefer one that has been Aqua Duck tested LOL.

Ours is Gecko brand - available at sportinggoods stores and probably online. It seals very well, pictures are pretty clear through it, and it floats if it somehow gets free. My son even took it snorkeling for pictures. They sell one similar on Castaway Cay.

I'm a planner. I look at the navigator a lot, especially the menus. My husband and I would always sit down and discuss what we were going to have for dinner that day.

My phone is my camera.

When we travel with extended family, we are not always doing the same activity and like to touch base every so often or make plans for a later activity. This will be especially true on our next cruise, our first with a toddler, because his grandparents will offer to watch him while we hang in the adult areas. And no, they can't come talk to us in the adult pool without annoying everyone else there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter