Theft inside the bubble?

Wow, they can't just walk down to the pool? Sorry, I can't believe how dependent some people are on their cell phones. Of course, for us, our cruises with our kids were a time to be with our kids. Lord knows at home during the school year and with after school sports, we might see them for 2 or 3 hours a day. Our cruises were our time to be a family together for a week.

What if you had little kids in the nursery, and there was an issue? Or kids in the Club that were too small to check themselves out or otherwise wander around the ship alone looking for you?

Not every use of a cell phone on a cruise ship is an example of some slavish over-dependence on technology.

We always extensively use the safe in the cabins. I usually don't bother with my phone unless we're going somewhere new. I am always amazed the amount of 'stuff' people cart to the beach and then just leave.

I don't go anywhere onboard without my phone. I don't buy the wifi, but it can be used for onboard communication and to take photos. I know there are a lot of "vacation is for no phones" people too.

What if you had little kids in the nursery, and there was an issue? Or kids in the Club that were too small to check themselves out or otherwise wander around the ship alone looking for you?

Not every use of a cell phone on a cruise ship is an example of some slavish over-dependence on technology.
They would page you if there was an issue just like always. I take it the Wave phones on board have gone away?

In fairness Disney has pointed us this way by putting everything on the app and getting rid of paper navigators. And what others said about wanting to take photos of your kids having a good time at the pool.
Dinosaur here. On vacation we use our camera for photos, although it is a state of the art DLR. The phone is one of the things I am looking for a break away from when on vacation.

Not if you are at the adult pool where kids aren’t allowed. Also, if kids are in the Oceaneer club, you need your phone so the club staff can contact you. Wave phones are no longer provided—club contacts you via the app.
As has been discussed in recent weeks, it will be interesting to see how the shift to the app will be received by guests. It may work fine, but Disney is pretty good at responding if enough guests mention not liking something on their comment cards. LOL, or are those now digitial too!

They would page you if there was an issue just like always.
Um, no, the standard way they contact parents now is via the app. I don't think "paging" has been a standard for quite some time now, though I suppose it might be used as a last resort. Talk about stress on vacation! Nobody wants to hear over the loud speaker "would the parents of Johnny S please report to the Nursery right away." As a parent that would give me a heart attack, to say nothing of all the unnecessary unwanted attention by other guests/looky-loos who think there's some kind of a major emergency.

Wow, they can't just walk down to the pool? Sorry, I can't believe how dependent some people are on their cell phones. Of course, for us, our cruises with our kids were a time to be with our kids. Lord knows at home during the school year and with after school sports, we might see them for 2 or 3 hours a day. Our cruises were our time to be a family together for a week.

Hey, I don't even have kids. I was just thinking of a likely scenario. You do whatever you want, but there's no reason to be rude about other people doing things their way.

Hey, I don't even have kids. I was just thinking of a likely scenario. You do whatever you want, but there's no reason to be rude about other people doing things their way.
Not trying to be rude. My last trip to Disneyland (pre-pandemic) I did notice they had Castmembers handing out cell phone sized zip lock bags on Splash Mountain, so Disney is away of the risk to cell phones. Maybe they will do that on the ships.

Um, no, the standard way they contact parents now is via the app. I don't think "paging" has been a standard for quite some time now, though I suppose it might be used as a last resort. Talk about stress on vacation! Nobody wants to hear over the loud speaker "would the parents of Johnny S please report to the Nursery right away." As a parent that would give me a heart attack, to say nothing of all the unnecessary unwanted attention by other guests/looky-loos who think there's some kind of a major emergency.
LOL. Getting a call on my cell phone would be just as scary for me. Calls on my cell phone about my kids never have been good calls.

Last edited:
The only thing I have to add is to be cautious about things on the aquaduck because the last time I tried to bring my phone in a waterproof pouch around my neck they told me I was not allowed to because of safety reasons. I guess they were afraid it was going to come back and smack me in the head or some thing. Lol

Why would you need your phone? Check the app before you leave your room to make sure you know your game plan for the next few hours, leave the phone there until you are done at the pool.
Because my husband may not be with me and I’d like to be able to let him know when I head back to the room and set up a meeting place-

Why would you need your phone? Check the app before you leave your room to make sure you know your game plan for the next few hours, leave the phone there until you are done at the pool.
Because my husband may not be with me and I’d like to be able to let him know when I head back to the room and set up a meeting place-

The only thing I have to add is to be cautious about things on the aquaduck because the last time I tried to bring my phone in a waterproof pouch around my neck they told me I was not allowed to because of safety reasons. I guess they were afraid it was going to come back and smack me in the head or some thing. Lol

We had this happen to someone on the Fantasy in September. They made them walk back down to the cubbies by the entrance to store it.

They would page you if there was an issue just like always. I take it the Wave phones on board have gone away?

I have not sailed since Feb. of 2020, but my understanding is that they are indeed gone now.

And if I had to carry a device of some kind for the youth counselors to page/message me, I'd much rather be carrying my iPhone vs. a wave phone anyway.

That said, I do like to completely disconnect from the outside world. I really wish the messaging feature on the DCL app was better, so we didn't have to use iMessage for reliable and timely delivery of messages.

Or the lanyard getting caught on something and damaging your neck.

Last edited:
I have no issue with that. My issue is with almost being required to have a cell phone for the Navigators when a penny piece of paper would solve the problem. . I don't even take my cell phone to the gym with me at home when I swim so I doesn't get damage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter