Theater Banning Men From Two Showings of Wonder Woman

Not applicable to theater patrons - unless the theater hires all and only the women attending the events.

No indication of discounts - hard to tell, though, since both shows are sold out; single-night, not ongoing, event; not in California so that state's laws don't apply.

I was responding to a comment about protected classes in employment.

Not sure if they're willing to try this in their locations in California. A lot of businesses still advertise women's discounts or even women only events, but when it comes down to it most really get around it by offering the same discount to anyone who asks for it. There was one notorious case where someone did sue, and the jury wasn't swayed by his argument because there were male witnesses who testified that they simply asked and got the same discount.

In the end I think they'd be hard-pressed to actually deny someone entry for not being a woman.

Why would any of the women care if they had an all men's night? What possible reason would they have to complain?

And banning your kids from a science camp because they have a girl's only session? Why?

What would happen in the reverse - if it was a boys-only session? The mom's of girls, and the feminists would a FIELD day with it. Part of that mentality I find gross..

The poster you quoted said nothing about scores. "Less outspoken" and "participate less" don't affect grades. They do affect career choices.

I disagree, part of their marks is participation and getting involved in classroom discussions.

Have you ever been? We go, as a family, and there are PLENTY of women there (as patrons) and TONS of families. The food is actually very good. Yes, the women have short shorts and crop tops, but I can guarantee you, most people are there for the wings, beer, and sports vs. the way the waitresses dress.

FWIW - I think this movie thing is ok...if that is your thing. As a woman, it's skeevy to me, though. Any "ladies night", "ladies only", women empowerment, etc. makes my skin crawl. Blech. Sitting in a theater with all women is one thing. Sitting in one with all women ONLY because they are women is just gross.

The lines for the bathrooms after each showing are gonna suck...

OP where did the word "banned" come from? Because it's not in the article linked and nowhere in the language about the event. There's a huge difference between "banning men" and having a "ladies night." That's not banning or discrimination, it's a themed event.

What would happen in the reverse - if it was a boys-only session? The mom's of girls, and the feminists would a FIELD day with it. Part of that mentality I find gross..

Nothing wrong with being a mom of girls or a feminist though:) *said thinking of Seinfield*

OP where did the word "banned" come from? Because it's not in the article linked and nowhere in the language about the event. There's a huge difference between "banning men" and having a "ladies night." That's not banning or discrimination, it's a themed event.

Usually it's a matter of whether or not they actually do anything beyond simply advertising it. A lot of places simply give the same discount to everyone who asks for it.

I've seen events that were promoted as "Ladie's Night." It seemed that the theater took more of a "men aren't welcome" bent.

The lines for the bathrooms after each showing are gonna suck...

I guess theoretically if it's truly a ladies only night, then they could just put a sign over the men's rooms for ladies.

Although I'm not quite sure how they're going to handle cross-dressers. They literally say "People Who Identify As Women Only".

2117LTBK_med.gif

I've seen events that were promoted as "Ladie's Night." It seemed that the theater took more of a "men aren't welcome" bent.
So "banned" is your word then?

The article and announcement from the theater didn't read that way at all to me.

So "banned" is your word then?

The article and announcement from the theater didn't read that way at all to me.

I address this in the comment above yours. The marketing says that men are not allowed at the event. They are prohibited from attending. You'll find the definition of "banned" confirms it is quite fitting.

Its not a big deal at all, god forbid we encourage a bit of women empowerment. Lord, you know these dbs are the ones who complain about getting friendzoned, etc. If they were having it locally, I'd for sure make it a night with the girls. To fuss about it, to ME, is the illustration of male privledge. Best part, if you don't want to support it, you just don't have to and can still see the movie:)

I actually can't stand Wonder Woman - I think that night I'll head to Hooters to watch any game on. Gladly give my seat to any guy who wants to attend. Oh & what is "dbs"?

hey maybe they can have a MGTOW night too.

I consider myself a feminist. I believe in female empowerment and equality.

If this was just a "Ladies night!" that would be one thing. Banning men from attending is counterproductive. It is exciting to have a dynamic, strong, powerful female character. Banning men (many of whom are feminists as well) is against the principle of feminism. Also, stops men who may not believe in equality from seeing a woman in such a strong role.

Again, if it was just a celebratory ladies' night but men were welcome to attend too, that would be different. But to specifically say "no men" just rubs me wrong. I can't imagine there wouldn't be an uproar if this theater hosted charity events that were "men only" for screenings of The Hulk.

They aren't banning men. That is rediculous. They are holding two fundraiser events that are for women only.

People are blowing this way out of proportion. They aren't even profiting off of the showings as all profits are going to planned parenthood and from my understanding these were show times originally offered. I'm going to Draft house on opening day and will continue to give this great movie theater my business.

Exactly - it’s a special screening running alongside regular screenings of Wonder Woman that day, which will playing on a gazilion screens everywhere that weekend. Nobody’s going to miss Wonder Woman if they want to see it that day. This particular screening is just a party for ladies who want to celebrate Wonder Woman finally coming to the big screen. And the shows have all sold out pretty quickly, so there’s definitely a demand for it.

I can’t wait to see it with my dad, but I’d LOVE to get to go to the ladies only show too (Alamo is a little too far for me). That should be a blast. And my dad wouldn’t have a problem with me going, either.

If life was equal for women they likely wouldn't bother with such charity events. It isn't, so many women enjoy such empowerment events.

I file this under my "who cares" category.

this always makes me laugh - I actually make more than all the men in my section. Hmm maybe I just picked the right career path.

And yup in the who cares - ITA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter