The What's For Dinner Thread - October'11 (recipe index in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a fairly rotten encounter this afternoon - via email which is NEVER a good idea - that sort of ruined the day. Thankfully, it was Wed so I got to end on a high note. I got home and remembered how angry I was, though :laughing: Maybe tomorrow will offer a resolution...

:hug:

Good Morning!!!

I still dont have power. We are hoping today though. Thanks for all the well wishes, and I will be back on later, but my battery is dying :sad1:

Thinkin' of you guys still! :hug: I'm hoping you'll have power.

After my massage, I'm stopping by the grocery store to pick up some skirt steak. I'm going to saute up what is left from our spinach salad last night as a side dish.

Hope your massage was good!

I can't be touched by strangers. :lmao:

Is it to early to talk Turkey??? Anyone have their Thanksgiving menu penciled in yet?:goodvibes

So far, we have:

Turkey (my dad's making it. he just doesn't know it yet! :lmao:)
UncleR's sage sausage stuffing
Sweet potato casserole with bacon :eek:
Green bean casserole (also UncleR...hers is spicy)
Kugel (my mother's recipe for noodle pudding :love: made by me)
And some sort of fresh bread

That's it so far. We're going to Sam's this weekend to start shopping, so we should probably get on the list!

Tonights dinner is still up in the air. I don't want to do anything. :confused3

It must be in the air. :rolleyes1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 more weeks till Thanksgiving break. I just need to keep repeating that.

Today was interesting. That's about all I can say about that. :laughing:

Tomorrow is Friday which means it's the weekend!!! :woohoo:

This weekend we're doing a big Sam's run to shop for when my dad is here visiting and Thanksgiving. Also, we need to find my lovely wife some new kicks. :cool1:

Tonight's dinner is 15 bean soup and fresh homemade cornbread by UncleR (the pioneer woman's recipe). I'll post recipes and maybe pics later!

:hug: all around!

Ham and Chicken Jambalya.

Boxed rice with diced chicken and ham thrown in!:lmao:

If you are impressed with THAT meal...you should ask what's in ham and buttered noodles.!:thumbsup2

If you are impressed with THAT meal...you should ask what's in ham and buttered noodles.!:thumbsup2

Soooo, what's in ham and buttered noodles? popcorn::

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMGosh! Dinner was divine!!

UncleR made us 15 bean soup and fresh cornbread.

383250_2481281880989_1520824968_32584894_380394638_n.jpg

UncleR doctored up the soup with ham we had previously made plus celery and onions.

But the real STAH of the show was the cornbread, which came from the Pioneer Woman's cookbook.

379069_2481252840263_1520824968_32584840_330373745_n.jpg

Skillet Cornbread

Ingredients:

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 T baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup plus 2 T shortening

Directions:

Prehead the oven to 450. In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder and stir together. Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. In a small bowl, melt 1/4 cup of the shortening in the microwave. Slowly add the melted shortening to the batter, stirring constantly until just combined.

In an iron skillet over high heat, melt the remaining 2 T shortening. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and spread to even out the surface. Cook on the stovetop for 1 minute, then bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown. The edges should be crispy. Slice and serve!

***UncleR's notes: If you prefer sweet cornbread, add some sugar, because this isn't sweet at all. However, it was DELISH!!! It comes out crispy and yummy! Watch it closely when you're cooking it on the stove, it browns up quick!

Thank honey for a great dinner!!! :banana:

383250_2481281880989_1520824968_32584894_380394638_n.jpg

UncleR doctored up the soup with ham we had previously made plus celery and onions.

But the real STAH of the show was the cornbread, which came from the Pioneer Woman's cookbook.

379069_2481252840263_1520824968_32584840_330373745_n.jpg

Skillet Cornbread

Ingredients:

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 T baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup plus 2 T shortening

Directions:

Prehead the oven to 450. In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder and stir together. Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. In a small bowl, melt 1/4 cup of the shortening in the microwave. Slowly add the melted shortening to the batter, stirring constantly until just combined.

In an iron skillet over high heat, melt the remaining 2 T shortening. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and spread to even out the surface. Cook on the stovetop for 1 minute, then bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown. The edges should be crispy. Slice and serve!

***UncleR's notes: If you prefer sweet cornbread, add some sugar, because this isn't sweet at all. However, it was DELISH!!! It comes out crispy and yummy! Watch it closely when you're cooking it on the stove, it browns up quick!

Thank honey for a great dinner!!! :banana:

Yum! What's the recipe for the soup? That looks wonderful!

Thanks for the cornbread recipe, too. I thought I had copied it down from her website, but I guess I didn't.

Kathy - Not too early for me! I need to get it planned and ready. My dad is coming to be with us. Luckily, he's ordering the turkey from a local store, so we'll pick that up, plus the drippings to make gravy with the morning of Thanksgiving.

Our tentative menu:

Turkey
Dressing (apple and onion)
Sweet potatoes
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Corn
A green veggie (brussels sprouts or beans)
Green salad with pears and pomegranate seeds
Jello salad with raspberries
Rolls, butter, jam
Whatever pies are left over from pie night

Am I missing anything glaring?

Hey All! Not being good and keeping up. sorry! At least I pop in right?

Dinner tonight was chinese take out. I love chinese food! Tonight I had Moo Shu Pork. :love:

Quick fly-by

Has anyone gone to Bonefish Grill? What did you think?

Several times and love it! Make sure to get the Bang Bang shrimp for an appetizer. I have had several different kinds of fish there and love the oscar sauce (crabmeat and asparagus). Tom has even had their steak and really enjoyed it. Make sure to have a Bonefish martini.

Unfortunately, there is not one near us.

BUT...

The new trader Joes is opening tomorrow! It is about 15 minutes away but will be better than dealing with Pittsburgh traffic.

Has anyone done Alton Brown's roast turkey? I've been trying different recipes every year and nothing has been "the one" yet. I keep reading that his is the perfect one.???

Kathy- Every year I say I'm going to do something different with the turkey, then I just end up sticking it in the oven. I like watching Alton Brown but his recipes always seem to be pretty involved.

Lauren- I haven't been able to be around much either, but it's good to see you when your able to get here. I hope you had a fun Disney trip.

Marisa- Sorry you are still out of power, at least it's not in the middle of winter. There are a ton of people here from Connecticut, they have all come to stay at there summer houses.

Becky- I've just renewed Cooking Light and haven't started getting it yet. I think I'll have to go check out the libraries copy, those lettuce wraps look good. Do you think they would be good cold for a school lunch? Love the "howler" emails!

Just me and the kiddo for dinner again tonight, looks like it's going to be that way for a while, so we just got a pizza. Tomorrow we are getting fish and chips from our new favorite place.

Quick fly-by

Has anyone gone to Bonefish Grill? What did you think?

I've only heard good things about it.

Is it to early to talk Turkey??? Anyone have their Thanksgiving menu penciled in yet?:goodvibes

I don't even know whether we will be traveling or making my parents travel yet! :confused3 But we will be having Turkey!

I actually really like the Zatarain's Low Sodium Jambalaya for a quick easy dinner. I throw in Smoked Sausage, some poultry and frozen okra at the end. Makes for an easy dinner.

Dinner tonight was chinese take out. I love chinese food! Tonight I had Moo Shu Pork. :love:

Oooh, I just finished my Chinese and I had Moo Shu Pork too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Slight change in dinner. Artichokes were on sale 2 for $4 so we're having those with the Skirt Steak. :thumbsup2

I think I may do a mini Thanksgiving dinner sometime soon so I can make some of the great recipes in my magazines!

We are boycotting Thanksgiving family plans and leaving town again :cool1: It was SO FUN last year to just road trip for a few days so we're going again this year. This year, we're leaving on Thurs so we'll eat Thanksgiving meal on the road.

Has anyone done Alton Brown's roast turkey? I've been trying different recipes every year and nothing has been "the one" yet. I keep reading that his is the perfect one.???

I used his brining method two years ago and it worked great. Last year, I used a Paula Deen recipe and it was just as moist.

The person I had the email spat with yesterday wasn't around today, and I'm still pissed. :laughing: They want to try and talk 'next week' so I will stew awhile longer...

I made Tex Mex style cheese enchiladas with chili gravy and crockpot refried beans for dinner. Both were huge hits and delicious! I'll post the recipes soon.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Gooooooooooooooooooooooood morning, WFD foks!

(can you tell I'm a wee bit excited?)

I am up and at 'em this morning working on my coffee. I've already got a load of short-sleeved shirts in the wash getting freshened up to be packed (it's 3/4 shirt weather here now) and am trying not to put anything off until the last minute.

Scott is going out for a celebratory meal with his coworkers today (long geeky story I won't bother you with) so I don't have to cook today. Amanda is coming by with lunch for us and to pick up a key (she's feeding my cats, another long story) so I am free as a bird cooking-wise today.

From what I'm told, Coronado Springs now has free wi-fi so we are taking our laptop. I will try to check in while I am gone. We aren't leaving until 10 or so tomorrow morning, so I will see you folks in the a.m.

Have a great one!

Loved it! We had the mussels and whatever the fish special was, everything was great!

I looked at the menu on line and the mussels are on my list. I plan on not eating Sunday during the day so I will be hungry I heard good things about the shrimp too.

Soo I'll bite what?;)

Several times and love it! Make sure to get the Bang Bang shrimp for an appetizer. I have had several different kinds of fish there and love the oscar sauce (crabmeat and asparagus). Tom has even had their steak and really enjoyed it. Make sure to have a Bonefish martini.

Unfortunately, there is not one near us.

BUT...

The new trader Joes is opening tomorrow! It is about 15 minutes away but will be better than dealing with Pittsburgh traffic.

I would love if TJ was closer. Our town tried to get TJ to move in but they were not interested at the time.

If it where he brines his turkey my neighbor does it and it is good.

Last night we had chicken breast and Z's red beans and rice.

Tonight will probably be stir fry something

Have a great trip Lindsay!!

I'm off to work, tomorrow is my last day! I'm like a little kid waiting for summer vacation. Have a great day all.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Gooooooooooooooooooooooood morning, WFD foks!

(can you tell I'm a wee bit excited?)

I am up and at 'em this morning working on my coffee. I've already got a load of short-sleeved shirts in the wash getting freshened up to be packed (it's 3/4 shirt weather here now) and am trying not to put anything off until the last minute.

Scott is going out for a celebratory meal with his coworkers today (long geeky story I won't bother you with) so I don't have to cook today. Amanda is coming by with lunch for us and to pick up a key (she's feeding my cats, another long story) so I am free as a bird cooking-wise today.

From what I'm told, Coronado Springs now has free wi-fi so we are taking our laptop. I will try to check in while I am gone. We aren't leaving until 10 or so tomorrow morning, so I will see you folks in the a.m.

Have a great one!

Have a wonderful day, not having to cook and preparing for your trip!

Have a great trip Lindsay!!

I'm off to work, tomorrow is my last day! I'm like a little kid waiting for summer vacation. Have a great day all.
last days are always awesome! :cool1:

Have a great trip, Lindsay! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Dinner tonight is still up in the air. I've got to get to the store, to see what looks good. We'll all be together tonight, so I'll actually be doing some cooking.

Tomorrow, we are taking Jacob out for his birthday dinner (he turns 12 on Tuesday), and he gets to choose the restaurant. He has become so interested in Greek mythology since we've been reading the Percy Jackson series, so he's requested a Greek restaurant. Fine with me! I love Greek food!!!

It's so windy here today! Alan had to leave at 3:00 to get to work this morning, and so the back door was unlocked. I woke up at 5:00 to the sound of the door blowing open, and crashing against the table! Nice, huh? Guess we're getting quite a storm blowing in. It should reach us by tomorrow and stay until Tuesday. Yikes!

Well, I'm off to get ready for bowling and to get the kids up for school. Have a great day, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter