The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

Jen - thanks for the update on Tooter. I'm not on FB so I was glad to read that aside from the eye, she's basically healthy and nothing a bit of fattening up wouldn't fix. I think that there are about 3 of us here that would be happy to send Tooter our mirrors...:rolleyes1

Tuesday today. WFDT was baked potatoes with the normal trimmings. DH cooked! :laughing:

My own mirror is evil. Just sayin'...:lmao:

Just a quick check in before breakfast. For somereason my internet went down sunday night but nothing else. The winds really picked up late afternoon, early evening and were steady at 50. We lost one small tree but that's it. I really can't believe it, we could here trees falling in the distance. Much of the area is without power, but somehow we lucked out and have it. There are pockets of damamge, but overall not bad. I'll be back later. Thanks again all for your thoughts.

Glad you guys fared well. :hug:

It just wasn't meant to be - as the Guys lost last night. But Doug was thrilled that they were even in the playoffs. They got a respectable 2nd place and 1st place for their division. So all in all he was pretty stoked!! :woohoo:

I won't be around for the next 6 days as Doug and I are off for a little vacation. And of course we will be in Lincoln for the Nebraska - Tenn. football game on Saturday. We can't wait!! "GO BIG RED".

Tomorrow is the BIG day that Elizabeth & Jay hopefully find out what they are having. They have a 3D ultra sound scheduled this time, so they should be able to find out. I will pop in to let ya'll know if I have news.

WFDT ~ Sheryl's Chilled Avocado Soup with Blue Crab Salad, with a crusty baguette. I totally can't wait!!!

Make it a great day and play nice while I'm gone. I'll try to pop in, but I can't guarantee anything!! :rotfl2:

Dang! Sorry about Doug!

Good luck with the baby news tomorrow.

And I want that soup!!!! :laughing:

We have a huge marsh fire out in New Orleans East. Sunday it the haze & smoke blew over the south shore. It was better yesterday, but it's back today & it's awful! I'm having trouble breathing & it really worries me about the kids! I sure hope the schools keep them inside for recess today. Really upset that I forgot to give Alexis her zyrtec this morning!

Don't know what's for dinner yet. I'm going to make a beef broth but don't know if I'll use something tonight or just freeze it. We'll see!

Oh, Jude started rolling over from his back to his tummy yesterday! ( He had rolled over from his tummy to his back a few times a couple of weeks ago & then just quit. ) :confused3 Well this morning I'm having trouble keeping him on his back to change the diaper.

:lmao: How cute about Jude! Stay inside with that fire!

Jen- Tooter is lucky she found you but those rescues bring so much with them. My 4 were barn cats and they were the best friends we could have. All I have left is Sassy now and she is still a peach of a cat............. cranky old lady that she is now.

Glad that j is adjusting to the braces!

Today is Kady's first day back to school :goodvibes:sad1::upsidedow When she gets home I am meeting Marisa. I am due for an upgrade on my phone so the kids decided it is time for me to get and I phone. We are going to choose one and Dan is supposed to teach me how to use it. I loved playing the games when I took Dan for his surgery so they think that means i will be a fast learner :rotfl2:

Giiiirl, we're still adjusting to our phones and it is SO much harder than I thought it was going to be! :lmao:

Tooter and our other cat, Lilly, are getting to, errrrrr, know each other. Which means they hiss and growl at each other. :lmao: We'll see how it goes. But I absolutely adore Tooter. She's brought so much to our family already!

I was going to make Chicken Tikka Masala in the crockpot today - and even went to the Indian market yesterday to pick up stuff - but this morning was rushed and I realized you had to do a ton of prep before even putting it into the crockpot! I'm sorry, but when I use the crockpot it's usually to SAVE time. So, I'm adapting it when I get home. I may not even use the dang crockpot in the end! might as well just throw it on the stove to simmer awhile.

We're having naan and basmati rice with it. I also bought some popsicle molds and I want to make pistachio pops. Picked up pistachios yesterday, too.

I hope dinner works out well.

We have your cashew nut chicken on tap for this weekend. :rotfl2: You're our own, personal, Betty Crocker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home from work. I'm exhausted. 3 more days till a 3 day weekend. Thank goodness!!!!

Tonight's dinner is hamburgers courtesy of my wife. Thank goodness for that too because I don't think I can move out of this chair!

Have a good evening everyone! :hug:

Ellen Sorry about Doug, but he did go pretty far. I don't think it was luck it was definitely skill.:thumbsup2

Aimee I really hate when I have high hopes for a recipe and it falls flat. I hope the tiki marsala turns out for you.

Jen I am glad Tooter is doing well. It is amazing how well animals adapt to disablities, if only people did as well.

Robin I am glad much of the damage didn't visit you. Hearing trees far even in the distance would be very scarey for me. :hug:

Nancy Many hugs to Deb:hug: It is a tough job she chose. When A's dad was in the Marines he helped in the cleanup from Hugo. He said that was hard to see personal items. He found it most difficult with children's toys.

Janice- I think that this is going to affect her. Her degree is in Social Work and she worked for the DCF in VT so hopefully that will help her to cope with what she will be dealing with.

I am reading The Help now and i like it. I was not sure at first but now I don't want to put it down

Dinner was sockeye salmon on the grill and a salad. Buddy had the salmon, tomato sandwiches and corn on the cob from Welby's garden. The salmon was just seasoned with coarse sea salt and pepper. I did nto overcook it this time :thumbsup2

This was the cheesy potato dish I made last night with our chicken. It was REALLY good, easy, and didn't use any cream soup! Would be great for a potluck, family gathering, etc.

DSCN4925.JPG

Cheesy Potato Casserole
Potatoes:
3 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
26-ounce bag frozen shredded hash browns
1/2 cup light sour cream

Topping:
3 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is softened and translucent,a bout 5-6 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute. Combine the chicken broth and milk in a liquid measure and slowly whisk in the mixture. Add the salt, pepper and thyme. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Take the pot off the heat and stir in the cheese until smooth. Mix in the frozen hash browns, lifting and folding the mixture until well combined. Finally, stir in the sour cream.

In a medium bowl, toss the lightly crushed cornflakes with the butter until evenly combined. Scoop out the potato mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish and top with the buttered cornflakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly around the edges. Let the potatoes rest for 10 minutes before serving.

This was the cheesy potato dish I made last night with our chicken. It was REALLY good, easy, and didn't use any cream soup! Would be great for a potluck, family gathering, etc.

DSCN4925.JPG

Cheesy Potato Casserole
Potatoes:
3 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
26-ounce bag frozen shredded hash browns
1/2 cup light sour cream

Topping:
3 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is softened and translucent,a bout 5-6 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute. Combine the chicken broth and milk in a liquid measure and slowly whisk in the mixture. Add the salt, pepper and thyme. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Take the pot off the heat and stir in the cheese until smooth. Mix in the frozen hash browns, lifting and folding the mixture until well combined. Finally, stir in the sour cream.

In a medium bowl, toss the lightly crushed cornflakes with the butter until evenly combined. Scoop out the potato mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish and top with the buttered cornflakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly around the edges. Let the potatoes rest for 10 minutes before serving.

This is a very popular dish here in Utah. We call them "funeral potatoes". Several pans of them find their way to funerals at churches all over the state. I think they are comfort food at its finest!

This is a very popular dish here in Utah. We call them "funeral potatoes". Several pans of them find their way to funerals at churches all over the state. I think they are comfort food at its finest!

Yeah, they are titled that some on Pinterest - must be regional, haven't heard them referred that way before. I did post the various 'names' for it in my blog, though :laughing: Anytime I see them, they have the cream soup in them so I was excited to find one without.

Pure comfort food for sure!

I forgot to ask, What did you think of The Help? I loved the book.
Loved the book, loved the movie. If you go see the movie, try not to compare the two. There were a few differences, but nothing crazy. My husband even enjoyed it.

Wednesday night dinner has resumed at church so no cooking for me today.

Just 3 words.....

Dinner at Mum's! :lovestruc

:scratchin I have some food and pictures to share from the weekend. Been wondering if I should share or not...I wasn't sure about posting it because one of the sides in my dinner is really an acquired taste and unless you have an Asian grocer, you might not be able to source one of the ingredients.
But after Glynis' telling me to not stop posting pictures, I think I might work on pulling the recipes together and posting something tomorrow (I hope).

Princess Unless it is snake, mouse or puppies, I say go ahead.

Darn I ran out of time I'll be back

This looks delicious! I don't like to use cream soups either so this one is going to be one of the first I make when I go back to eating carbs :thumbsup2

Just 3 words.....

Dinner at Mum's! :lovestruc

:scratchin I have some food and pictures to share from the weekend. Been wondering if I should share or not...I wasn't sure about posting it because one of the sides in my dinner is really an acquired taste and unless you have an Asian grocer, you might not be able to source one of the ingredients.
But after Glynis' telling me to not stop posting pictures, I think I might work on pulling the recipes together and posting something tomorrow (I hope).

First- I envy your dinners with Mum! And next................POST POST POST please.

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dinner will be ham steak on the grill and veggies. We have had a lot of summer squashes but today I am going to try to find spaghetti squash. I like it now that I have tried it.

Oh.....I forgot to share. DH got the results of his MRI. It came back all clear, which we are both really thankful for. So, he either has a virus that is affecting his inner ear and his balance and making him nauseous; or he has Meniere's. We're hoping it is the former. We mentioned it to a few people and there seems like there is a Meniere's epidemic sweeping Melbourne...when we mentioned it to our friends, we found that there were at least 3 other people that had been provided with the same diagnosis in Melbourne lately. They are all waiting for the wamer weather to see if it clears up. :confused3

First- I envy your dinners with Mum! And next................POST POST POST please.

No snake, mouse nor puppies....but I might just take that as a challenge...:rotfl:

It was chicken tenderloins marinaded in a Thai lime and fish sauce that I pan fried (should have BBQ'd or grilled it instead but it sorta worked). I served it with stir fried greens.
DH got steamed tofu and the side to go on top of the tofu that consisted of Chinese Pickled Mustard with celery and mushroom. It was the Chinese Pickled Mustard dish that I was dubious about....but I'll put the recipes together and share. I already loaded the pictures at the weekend so that I keep on top of that job.

Princess - Whew on the clear MRI!!! I'll hope it's just a virus! I love looking at your pictures. I'll never be able to make half of what you and Becky both post, but I love looking. I have an addiction to food photography!

Aimee - I'm glad to see a recipe without cream soup, too! I can't wait to give 'em a try. I might not even wait for a funeral to try them!

I got up a bit early this morning and made Chunky Monkey pancakes for the kids. I found the recipe on one of my new favorite blogs... Our Best Bites. Here's the link, if anyone is interested. http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/09...h-peanut-butter-syrup-chunky-monkey-pancakes/

I was worried that they'd be really time consuming, but they went together really fast! The kids loved them, especially smeared with the thick peanut butter syrup that goes with them. Definitely a keeper!

Not too sure about dinner tonight. It's Alan's late night tonight (poor guy left for work at 4 this morning, and won't get home until 11 tonight!), so it'll just be me and the kids. Katie has requested soup and sandwiches, so that's probably what we'll do, even though I think it's a bit hot for soup. Maybe I'll try to find a nice salad for me!

DH got steamed tofu and the side to go on top of the tofu that consisted of Chinese Pickled Mustard with celery and mushroom. It was the Chinese Pickled Mustard dish that I was dubious about....but I'll put the recipes together and share. I already loaded the pictures at the weekend so that I keep on top of that job.[/QUOTE]

That actually sounds delicious to me! So please post the pictures!

Speaking of pictures I need to get caught up on posting some here. Recent meals included grilled pizza again. You have seen the margharita one a bunch of times, but here is a different one. White pizza topped with truffle oil, proscuitto, parmesean, and basil:

6085779914_eebbcf15f1.jpg

This is a fresh tomato tart. It has a layer of fresh mozzarella under the tomatoes, as well as some goat cheese. The goat cheese was an excellent addition! I know Laura would disagree, she hates goat cheese!

6085236003_a1666ab628.jpg

Grilled Cornell University chicken:

6085778970_6aaab2cb48.jpg

Pasta fresca:

6098852216_90de981b47.jpg

Last night's dinner, another tart. This was a swiss chard-leek tart. I found the recipe on epicurious. It was delicious! The only change I made was to add a thin layer of gruyere cheese before pouring in the filling:

6098304143_d9c69415cc.jpg

I served it with a tomato salad and a wax bean salad.

WFD: I think the corn chowder I mentioned the other day. Either that or a panzanella salad.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to disappear for a couple of days again. I'm glad all the people affected by Irene this weekend are fine. Monday we had dinner with my parents (steak, grilled eggplant, pole beans -- not recommended, zucchini fritters and tomato salad), last night I made BELTs for me and Caili and a chicken sub for Liam, tonight we are having chicken fajitas. I have to get off the computer and get them started!

Orthodontia is such an investment, it's baffling. Both financially and time. Ugh. But, I'm hoping that in a few years, we'll be looking back and talking about how worth it this whole thing was.

I am very grateful my parents invested in my smile. Congrats on the new kitty!

Lindsay -- Happy belated birthday! It sounds like you had a nice day.

Sheryl -- The image of Jude trying to roll over on the changing table made me smile. Liam was the same way.

Kathy -- I hope you are feeling a little better today.

Ellen -- I'm sorry Doug's team lost, but it really was an accomplishment to do so well! Enjoy your vacation.

Princess -- I love your pictures!

Nancy -- How was Kady's first day? My kiddos definitely are ready to go back to school...even though they say they aren't.

Okay, I really need to run. Have a good night!

:laughing:

Oh.....I forgot to share. DH got the results of his MRI. It came back all clear, which we are both really thankful for. So, he either has a virus that is affecting his inner ear and his balance and making him nauseous; or he has Meniere's. We're hoping it is the former. We mentioned it to a few people and there seems like there is a Meniere's epidemic sweeping Melbourne...when we mentioned it to our friends, we found that there were at least 3 other people that had been provided with the same diagnosis in Melbourne lately. They are all waiting for the wamer weather to see if it clears up. :confused3

Thankful the MRI didn't show anything!

Laura, how do you get the black background in your pics? Do you edit them? Everything looks delicious!!!

I made donuts last night - I posted a camera pic on FB last night because I was so darn excited about them :laughing: They are baked, so I'm telling myself they are healthy :rotfl: I hope to get a pic of those in the daylight and post them.

The Tikka Masala was delicious last night, too. Will get those pics/recipe up tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter