The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

I ate so much at lunch I skipped dinner last night!

Tonight will be the pizza I thought I was having last night. Dough is resting in the fridge waiting for me to roll out.

That was quite a spread @mmouse37! What was all the stuff on the buffet? Looked great!

We just ordered from our easy Italian place on EAT24. We just hit "order last order" I have Linguine and clams with Minestrone. She gets a small Veggie pizza add sausage and a salad for four with ranch. Works for us, we get a meal of leftovers out of it!

There was chopped romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, guacamole, cheese with Mexican spices, grilled and then chopped steak and chicken, taco meat, black beans, cilantro rice, grilled corn and our son made chicken Chilaquiles (chicken and tortilla casserole with fresh made green salsa). And of course Sangria and Margaritas!!!

I have a bunch of stuff left over for another meal as well and I was wiped out yesterday! I am not a great cook but don't mind holiday cooking.....I prefer to order in though!!!

MJ

Last edited:
There was chopped romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, guacamole, cheese with Mexican spices, grilled and then chopped steak and chicken, taco meat, black beans, cilantro rice, grilled corn and our son made chicken Chilaquiles (chicken and tortilla casserole with fresh made green salsa). And of course Sangria and Margaritas!!!

I have a bunch of stuff left over for another meal as well and I was wiped out yesterday! I am not a great cook but don't mind holiday cooking.....I prefer to order in though!!!

MJ

WOW!! Looked delicious!!

I am reading the posts but will probably not post much for a week or so, I lost my sister this morning, and the upcoming week is going to be difficult. We will eat, mostly comfort foods that have our DR. Turning blue, but for my family, we seem to crave those homey concoctions during sad times. Please say a preacher for my two nieces. They have had a rough road and my heart breaks for them.

Sorry I have been MIA. It was a crazy week here.
Welcome!! From one Nebraska girl to another I am glad to meet you. I don't very often meet someone from here. Where is home? I am from Lexington - smack dab in the middle of the state on I80. Talk about snow - last Sunday we got about 9". We even had to call off church services.

To everyone else that is new - WELCOME!!

LIfe is busy for us. I swear - I told Doug just the other day - we are busier now with the Grands than we were with 3 kids at home. But we love it!! We have baby calves all over our pastures and we have 9 of them we are having to bottle feed, so that keeps us busy and very close to home right now. Matthew and Stephanie are running the Lincoln Marathon on Sunday and it is the Berkshire Hathaway Shareholders meeting in Omaha on Saturday. Doug has to stay home to bottle feed, but I am going. I'm staying with Matthew & Katlin. We will all go to Omaha tomorrow, but we only have credentials for 4 so we will have to go in, in turns, but we don't care as it is very interesting and a lot of fun. Just getting away for a few days and seeing my kids will be fun. Last night was Ethan's Spring Band concert and Lilly will graduate preschool next week and Liam the next week. They are growing like weeds. I talked to Harper (2) on the phone the other night and she is talking in sentences - when did that happen?

WFDT ~ Subways on the road to Lincoln. YUM!!

Make it a great day and a fantastic weekend

We live in Elkhorn. :wave2:

We are originally from the North East (Maine for me and Montreal for my dh), but yes it is unusual to find someone from NE on the Dis. We are here because of my dh's job. We have lived in NE since 2009 so we have been here awhile .

I have always wanted to go the BHS meeting just to walk around all the booths. It looks so fun (the part they show on the news).

I am reading the posts but will probably not post much for a week or so, I lost my sister this morning, and the upcoming week is going to be difficult. We will eat, mostly comfort foods that have our DR. Turning blue, but for my family, we seem to crave those homey concoctions during sad times. Please say a preacher for my two nieces. They have had a rough road and my heart breaks for them.

I am so sorry for your loss and praying for your family.

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry. Prayers, positive thoughts and pixie dust for the family. :hug:

I am so sorry for your loss Nancy. Prayers for you and your nieces. :hug:

Thank you all so much. Pat has been on a vent since before Easter after a fall and then a seizure. The dr tried to remove it, but she was not strong enough. I still don't know why they did not do a tracheotomy but I'm not going to question it. I think she was just too exhausted.

Thank you all so much. Pat has been on a vent since before Easter after a fall and then a seizure. The dr tried to remove it, but she was not strong enough. I still don't know why they did not do a tracheotomy but I'm not going to question it. I think she was just too exhausted.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry, I didn't know if it was a sudden thing or something that had been a long time coming. Either way it is still difficult. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Last night for dinner we had salad and tonight is grilled chicken (David) roasted broccoli and fresh veggies.

Sorry I have been off and on here. It has been crazy busy here. We homeschool (mostly because we usually travel during the school year and so our daughter can see my dh since he works odd hours) and we are finishing the year up. My daughter in in a hurry because she so ready for this year to be over lol. So for dinner tonight is a sausage and pepper pasta dish.

Tuesday night means dinner on the way to band. I'm gonna see if I can convince Fran to go somewhere that serves chili cheese fries.

Afternoon all,

We went to Lilly's preschool graduation last night and it was so cute. They even play the marching music as they walk out. I couldn't help it, but a tear rolled down my check. That song gets me every time. Afterwards we went for Strawberry shakes. SO.much.fun!!

Ethan is playing Pony league (Legion) ball this year and his first game is tomorrow night. I love watching him play ball, he is really good. To me that is summer - sitting in a bleacher watching a ball game.

Matthew and Stephanie just ran the Lincoln Marathon. They are crazy, but they love it. Matthew ran an 8:29 minute mile and Stephanie an 8:45. Matthew stands about 6'2" and Stephanie at 5'3" so he has a bit advantage. :)

Nan ~ Sweetie, I am so sorry. I really wish I was closer so I could give you a hug and help in any way I could. Take care my dear friend.

Pooh ~ I figured it was in the Omaha area. I agree with DD - I am also ready for school to be over. I love summer with no schedules and the more relaxed way of life.

Alison ~ Did you get your chili cheese fries?

mmouse ~ That was quite the spread. It all looked great

Brandi ~ I showed Doug the pictures of your last jaunt and he again said he wants to go with you and David. OH.MY.GOODNESS he would love it.

WFDT ~ Cowboy chicken grillers, roasted brussel sprouts and sliced tomatoes.

Make it a great day

So sorry, Nancy.

Peace and long life.

Where did the time go?

I kept meaning to come in here but never quite made it until now. Sorry for not being here. :flower3:

mmouse37 - that is an amazing spread!

pooh's mate - I have not been to Elkhorn. About all I know about elkhorn is the plant type! ;)

Alison - Hope you got your cheese fries.

Brandi - Hope life is treating you well.

Ellen - I think the first time I was posting in the WFDT thread, Lilly was just about being born. Preschool? WOW! The time really does fly.

Nancy - Just make sure you're okay!

It's Thursday night here and its been a busy week. WFDT? I didn't feel like eating tonight; so it was just takeaway for the boy. DH is eating vegan and just steamed some vegies, plus a whole bunch of sides.

Good Morning everyone -

PIO I know you are already asleep, but I hope you have a great Friday! I am getting into proposal time, so I know you understand that I may not be around a lot in the coming weeks! lol

Alison - I used to love hash browns that we covered in chili and cheese and onions. To me fries never got crunchy enough to hold up to all the moisture in the other stuff, but I totally understand the need for chili cheese fries. I hope you were able to enjoy them.

Ellen - David and I believe that the more the merrier, so you and Doug will just have to come along! I must warn that we are always have a great time no matter where it is, so that is fair warning. lol

Nancy - sending prayers and love your way.

mmouse37 - that food looks yummy, we still have left overs at work, that people are finishing up.

pooh's mate - I honestly cant imagine home schooling, I used to tutor math to high schoolers while I was in college and after I graduated, it was a difficult time!

Tonight for dinner is Cauliflower Shawarma. We some fresh warm naan.

:wave2:

Yes I did get my chili cheese fries! But we ended up playing hookey from band. There was a solar tech working in our backyard and by the time he finished we would have arrived late to band. Neither of us wanted to deal with that so we went home and put stuff away and went to bed early.

Last night we went out to Mrs. Knott’s chicken dinner restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm. We were supposed to go there Monday night but it got too late and Fran changed her mind.

Ellen - sounds like your family is keeping you busy! How nice is that?

PIO - you're always so busy! Stay sane!

Brandi - how is your pain? Are you feeling better now?

Nancy - I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope it was a beautiful service.

Pooh'smate - sausage and peppers sounds good. We haven't had that in a while.

WFDT? I have a ton of sausages in the freezer, so maybe I'll do something with those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter