The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

We arose early, got dressed, and headed to breakfast. It’s always nice to stay in an Embassy Suites and get my ham, cheese and onion omelet cooked to order.

I have similar thoughts, but I ask them to toss everything into my omelet, except the jalapenos. Somehow I didn't think you would go for that....

And yet, as I contemplated our itinerary for the day, I couldn’t help but feel an involuntary shudder.

Dun, dun, dun....

Death awaits beyond its borders…with sharp, pointy, nasty teeth.

I see what you did there.

It was November of 1985. I was 11 years old. We were on a family vacation—you know the type: Mom and Dad pack everyone into the station wagon, we go driving for hours on end in the middle of nowhere, eating crappy PB&J sandwiches for lunch and fighting with your brothers for the tail-gunner seats that face backwards in the back of the wagon. You know, the kind of trip nobody takes anymore. But back then it was all the rage.

Funny, my family never did that. My parents just dressed us up, threw us on a plane back to my Grandparents in New England for a month.

Giant, mutated, bloodthirsty mosquitoes. The kind of mosquitoes that eat DEET for breakfast. They were everywhere, swarming, attacking every inch of exposed skin.

You know it's funny, while everyone else around me gets eaten alive by mosquitoes, they pay no attention to me. I think it's the wine.

We resorted to mad dashes between cover, hoping to finally get a break when we got to our room in the lodge for the night.

It was not to be. The monsters were already inside.

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

I remember the mosquitoes constantly buzzing in my ear, the relentless attacks, the cries of people being carried off by the swarms in the middle of the night...it was a trauma that an 11-year-old boy should never have had to face.

Heck! Even a 53 year old woman shouldn't have to face that kind of terror.

I’d been minding my own business, sharpening my machete, when they came to me with a request: they wanted to see an alligator. In the wild.

Go to Coronado Springs, they have one living in the lake there.

“We’ll make it worth your while,” they said. “We know a place. A place just a ways north of here. The happiest place on earth, in fact. They have Dole Whips.

Be our guide. Take us safely through the Everglades. Show us a gator. In return, you’ll have more Dole Whips than you could ever imagine.”

Liars! They're all Liars!

“What the $%&@ is this?” I asked. I grabbed the bottle. Some kind of Snake Essential Oil.

“This is better than insect repellent,” Julie replied. “This changes your body’s chemistry so that it smells differently to mosquitoes, and they don’t want to feed on you.”

I tell you wine works for me, and rarely do I spend $80 a bottle. More like $13 a box!

We saw no gators. In fact, we didn’t see much of anything. Although the Everglades is one of the more famous national parks in the U.S., I think it’s wise to temper your expectations when visiting. This is not really a park for scenery. It’s more of a park for nature/ecology geeks.

Or take the airboat!

In the years since I’d been here, they’d closed the lodge. Ostensibly, it was for hurricane damage, but I knew the truth. It was a cover-up. They didn’t want anyone to know of its horrific past.

:rotfl2:

What we found was…magical. Something even more rare than alligators.

We’d found a family of manatees.

That's really cool. But how were you so sure they were a family? It could have been a bachelorette party, a merry band of theives, or a group of young blondes and brunettes, all between sixteen and nineteen and a half.... :confused3

There was a high-pitched buzz near my ear. Then another. I felt something graze my neck, and swatted blindly at it. They’d found us.

Definitely run!

“Just go!” Julie shouted. “Save yourselves!” I might have added that last part.

:laughing:

Just about the time my life finished flashing before my eyes, Julie let fly a vicious right cross. She caught me square in the left cheek. The sound of the blow reverberated around the room.

:eek:

Sarah, David and Scott gasped, and stood bolt upright, jaws dropped. “Whoa,” said Dave.

It's serious now!

The Swedish family stared in shock. “WhØa,” they said.

OK this was the BEST joke of the story!

Drew stood up in his car seat and began to lower his pants.

“What the—?” I began.

Julie started scrambling in a panic. “He never went potty!” she shouted.

:eek: :eek:

“No! Don’t open the doors!” Julie shouted. She fished around in the front seat and came up with an empty Chick Fil-A soda cup. She passed it back to Sarah, who held it in place while Drew re-filled the cup. Julie grabbed the cup from Sarah, slid down her window barely enough for an opening, and dumped it out before raising the window again in one smooth motion.

OK this is one BIG reason I never became a Mom!

You might think I’m exaggerating, or that they’re just mosquitoes. That maybe I’m delusional, or we didn’t really face all that much danger. You might not believe me when I say I’ve been lobbying Congress to firebomb this place into oblivion. You might even think I’m making it up.

Yeah? Well, you’ve never been to Flamingo.

No, I haven't, but I'm not sure how many times I've actually been bitten by them. Spiders love me, but mosquitoes hate me.

6a4c0669d2ff5e7f609475715fc54c30.jpg

Well, I do learn from my mistakes. Sometimes.

Well... you would know.

I really don't feel the need to go back ever again.

"Starting"??????

:rolleyes1

::yes::

(They fail to mention mosquitoes.)

I wonder why.

I have similar thoughts, but I ask them to toss everything into my omelet, except the jalapenos. Somehow I didn't think you would go for that....

As the guy in Amadeus would say, "too many notes".

I see what you did there.

:teeth:

Funny, my family never did that. My parents just dressed us up, threw us on a plane back to my Grandparents in New England for a month.

They were probably smarter than my parents.

You know it's funny, while everyone else around me gets eaten alive by mosquitoes, they pay no attention to me. I think it's the wine.

That's so unfair. I'm like mosquito catnip.

Heck! Even a 53 year old woman shouldn't have to face that kind of terror.

No one should! No one!

Go to Coronado Springs, they have one living in the lake there.

You know, as luck would have it this summer...:rolleyes1

Liars! They're all Liars!

::yes:: Darn right!

I tell you wine works for me, and rarely do I spend $80 a bottle. More like $13 a box!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:I would have placed more faith in the wine than I would the oils.

Or take the airboat!

I'm more convinced than ever that it's the only way to see the Everglades.

That's really cool. But how were you so sure they were a family? It could have been a bachelorette party, a merry band of theives, or a group of young blondes and brunettes, all between sixteen and nineteen and a half.... :confused3

:sad2: Maybe it was just a manatee traffic jam.

OK this was the BEST joke of the story!

That seems to be everyone's favorite! Amazing what changing one little letter can do.

OK this is one BIG reason I never became a Mom!

You have to be impressed with the efficiency of the way she handled it, though.

No, I haven't, but I'm not sure how many times I've actually been bitten by them. Spiders love me, but mosquitoes hate me.

I don't know how often you have to deal with spiders, but being able to avoid mosquitoes is an incredible blessing!

As the guy in Amadeus would say, "too many notes".

You do realize what his comment revealed about him in the movie? :confused3

They were probably smarter than my parents.

Or they weren't concerned about enriching our minds other than the American Revolution since it was convenient.

You know, as luck would have it this summer...:rolleyes1

Cool maybe you can cash in on those Dole Whips you were promised.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:I would have placed more faith in the wine than I would the oils.

Works for me. Fleas don't like me either.

I'm more convinced than ever that it's the only way to see the Everglades.

I had not even known one could drive there. We looked into a tour boat company about 1/2 an hour out of Ft. Lauderdale, but Fran ended up being so sick we scrapped it.

That seems to be everyone's favorite! Amazing what changing one little letter can do.

It's the subtlety, who would figure that would be the fave for this crowd.

You have to be impressed with the efficiency of the way she handled it, though.

Absolutely! But It's a fact that there is no way I would be able to solve potty problems on the fly like she has. I mean the potty solutions that she has solved in your TRs alone makes me want to gag. I'm sure she does it plenty at home too.

I don't know how often you have to deal with spiders, but being able to avoid mosquitoes is an incredible blessing!

We dont have a lot of mosquitoes in our area, but for some reason I seem to end up with spider bites on my back several times a year.

You do realize what his comment revealed about him in the movie? :confused3

That he was an uncultured idiot, just like me! But I still don't want all that crap in my omelet.

Or they weren't concerned about enriching our minds other than the American Revolution since it was convenient.

I'm sure they didn't want to drive across North Dakota eating nothing but PB&J.

Cool maybe you can cash in on those Dole Whips you were promised.

Better late than never! I am always accepting Dole Whips.

Works for me. Fleas don't like me either.

You are living a charmed life.

I had not even known one could drive there. We looked into a tour boat company about 1/2 an hour out of Ft. Lauderdale, but Fran ended up being so sick we scrapped it.

Ft. Lauderdale to the Everglades is a good haul to travel. I imagine that would have been an all-day tour?

It's the subtlety, who would figure that would be the fave for this crowd.

I'm not really known for "subtle", either.

Absolutely! But It's a fact that there is no way I would be able to solve potty problems on the fly like she has. I mean the potty solutions that she has solved in your TRs alone makes me want to gag. I'm sure she does it plenty at home too.

Yeah...the thing with kids is, you get desensitized to pretty much every single bodily fluid there is. So you just deal with it.

We dont have a lot of mosquitoes in our area, but for some reason I seem to end up with spider bites on my back several times a year.

Huh. I wouldn't have guessed that.

That he was an uncultured idiot, just like me! But I still don't want all that crap in my omelet.

That reminds me of a movie quote, "Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch." :laughing:

I'm sure theydidn't want to drive across North Dakota eating nothing but PB&J.

Where do you think I got my hoity toity food tastes? PB&J wasn't even a "thing" in our house!

Ft. Lauderdale to the Everglades is a good haul to travel. I imagine that would have been an all-day tour?

There is a Northern tip of the Everglades that is only 30 mins from Ft. Lauderdale, hour boat ride, half day trip. Fran could still have her afternoon nap.

Yeah...the thing with kids is, you get desensitized to pretty much every single

Huh. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Thank you so much, Liesa! That's really high praise. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it so much! I think we were all laughing about it, even at the time, because we knew this was going to be a great story for the rest of our lives.

It certainly will be! The kids will remember it long after they have their own and make memories with them.

This was just a stroke of good fortune. It definitely redeemed the time we spent there!

Nice!!

:goodvibes

I’m glad you said “sometimes”. Although “seldom” is probably more accurate.

Guilty as charged.

Yeah, I've been there twice now. Got eaten alive both times. I'm good.

That reminds me of a movie quote, "Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch." :laughing:

Ah, Caddyshack. A classic.

Where do you think I got my hoity toity food tastes? PB&J wasn't even a "thing" in our house!

That feels un-American somehow.

There is a Northern tip of the Everglades that is only 30 mins from Ft. Lauderdale, hour boat ride, half day trip. Fran could still have her afternoon nap.

Gotcha. That makes more sense.

It certainly will be! The kids will remember it long after they have their own and make memories with them.

We'll be telling this story for years! I'm curious whether any of them will ever go back there.

The burgers were really good! I got a heart-attack-on-a-plate called the Freshman 15, which featured bacon, cheddar, a fried egg, and smashed fries on it. This took two years in a nursing home off my life, so it was totally worth it! Very tasty.
I'm very behind. I actually read this several weeks ago, but I just wanted to comment...
I went to the vortex (here in Atlanta) a couple weeks ago. They have several very unhealthy burger options. Single coronary bypass all the way to quadruple bypass. It in no way, shape, form or fashion fits into my diet, but I decided it was time to treat myself and I also wanted to be able to say I've had it once.

The "bun" is actually two grilled cheese sandwiches and then add on the burger, the egg and the bacon.
Since I've lost a good amount of weight, my stomach is not nearly as big any more and I couldn't finish it. Also, the grilled cheese sandwiches made it too much cheese and overpowered the burger and the bacon. In my mind, more bacon, less cheese is always better.

So, if you ever want to take more years off of your nursing home life, next time you're in Atlanta, I can take ya there.

Now to try to catch back up.

zTegBGP7mki0vsBxsFpwtNcPopnqfJSQ5UZP1TM5cdILCpZsipJdIN8UMml-m6gZAmQTgzULsqWMVbvqX17xeKrna9I4X-KLYw6GINTYWBtkik5U2xZ92SB2rLSfkad7sVzTWuyVX1y7mujXEKBnofdnIGGI1iaEOAqPnVdkfmq57_xjnVq7kyvgRLR2FogrbI6aVvSNrwy2hpa-vY0kz0UpH19EI-1rWoahq2uPgHaMQcAZ6QJIoKZxU0jqt4mVt8z0B04LDO9H2ufcFobOfDFd-FAmq8CNYLtZWUDKqD8_y5jekq_wIq0q0WQIKSe1aoLKdmXZXRXaOQj9PTZY5fw8SOZbqoV-t1bs2mcbVVyUTS81sXgeXnjuMIZ0g5r5o0shbW_IJsLEPYiWKKQ8tN1huC8OQUvLQcXiKwVZ8lI7-NOoj6i6FAcrr4-0QfURLmB1VlK4tYaczBgGFcGBxwE-weADxrtatmYsG60TAnHnv8C_vE4gReLZTTLgZbAmPMoQk3Iupv7rPKtdu4r2eR2xE7dMlgpTsQ1xJTq6KrbjnW4wbv21z4rtSOc8CDyIxhlNCvEQdL1SaNogqQRaCtcAQ_kDTERoXvSzZxSl=w1243-h829-no

This and the burgers were enough to put us back into Drooling Homer Award status once more.
Still trying to catch up, but wow!, that looks good.

Glad your kids are more understanding...if we got that close and didn't go in, I'd have a mutiny on my hands and I'm not even a Captain like you.

Cool thing with the bear and the tickets for her surgery day. Nice touch!

I am so behind on your report, but I'm catching up today! You do such a great job reporting that I feel bad for not commenting!

Crater of Diamonds is in the middle of nowhere. The closest town is Murfreesboro, AR.

A big field of dirt in the middle of nowhere! My Dad was a geology buff and road trip fan ... he took us there TWICE! I was not impressed, but diamond mining does look cool on your travel resume!

Hawaii: walked on a live volcano.
Wyoming: witnessed geyser eruptions, stayed in an historic lodge.
Utah: hiked to Delicate Arch.
Oklahoma: peed on it.
:rotfl::rotfl2: They can't all be winners!

However, when we entered our room, there was a huge gift basket waiting for us on the desk. Lisa had arranged for a Louisiana-style welcome for us—it was full of cookies, candies, and other treats and knick-knacks from her home state. Lisa, that was incredibly kind and thoughtful—thank you so much for spoiling us rotten! I hope our paths cross again someday.

Aww, how sweet! You sure have encountered some very generous Dis'ers in your travels!

We made our way back towards the riverfront and stopped to grab a table at the world-famous Café Du Monde.

Yum! I have never been to NOLA, but this place is on my list!

This is a great family picture! Looks like such a beautiful place!

And we couldn’t get any closer. But it sure is fun to dream, isn’t it, kids?

Hello?

Bueller?

Once again, have those Parents of the Year nomination forms handy.

My kids would have totally thought I had a surprise up my sleeve! Glad you had a nice lunch and were able to stock up on HP merchandise!

What we found was…magical. Something even more rare than alligators.

We’d found a family of manatees.

Awesome! The only manatees I have ever seen are the ones in Epcot's Living Seas. I've see lots of gators in the wild in Florida, but no manatees. Very nice!

I am laughing at your mosquito report! I thought Minnesota had the worst mosquitos in the US ... but I guess a swamp in Florida would take the cake!

I'm very behind. I actually read this several weeks ago, but I just wanted to comment...
I went to the vortex (here in Atlanta) a couple weeks ago. They have several very unhealthy burger options. Single coronary bypass all the way to quadruple bypass. It in no way, shape, form or fashion fits into my diet, but I decided it was time to treat myself and I also wanted to be able to say I've had it once.

The "bun" is actually two grilled cheese sandwiches and then add on the burger, the egg and the bacon.
Since I've lost a good amount of weight, my stomach is not nearly as big any more and I couldn't finish it. Also, the grilled cheese sandwiches made it too much cheese and overpowered the burger and the bacon. In my mind, more bacon, less cheese is always better.

So, if you ever want to take more years off of your nursing home life, next time you're in Atlanta, I can take ya there.

Now to try to catch back up.

I had a heart attack just reading that. I think I saw the Vortex on Travel or Food Channel at one time. In retrospect, that would have been a better choice than The Varsity!

Still trying to catch up, but wow!, that looks good.

Glad your kids are more understanding...if we got that close and didn't go in, I'd have a mutiny on my hands and I'm not even a Captain like you.

Cool thing with the bear and the tickets for her surgery day. Nice touch!

We went over the whole itinerary several times leading up to the trip. And they knew we still had a bit of Disney time coming up later.

I am so behind on your report, but I'm catching up today! You do such a great job reporting that I feel bad for not commenting!

Well, thanks! It's always a lot more fun if people are commenting!

A big field of dirt in the middle of nowhere! My Dad was a geology buff and road trip fan ... he took us there TWICE! I was not impressed, but diamond mining does look cool on your travel resume!

Yeah...I don't feel a need to go back anytime soon. Especially in the summer.

:rotfl::rotfl2: They can't all be winners!

I think we've proven that several times over!

Aww, how sweet! You sure have encountered some very generous Dis'ers in your travels!

Very much so! DIS'ers are wonderful people!

Yum! I have never been to NOLA, but this place is on my list!

You HAVE to get beignets. Have to. It's not a choice, it's an imperative.

This is a great family picture! Looks like such a beautiful place!

Thank you! It would have been more beautiful if I wasn't standing there, but whatever.

My kids would have totally thought I had a surprise up my sleeve! Glad you had a nice lunch and were able to stock up on HP merchandise!

We tried to make the expectations clear before we left. And we did still have a brief taste of Disney coming up.

Awesome! The only manatees I have ever seen are the ones in Epcot's Living Seas. I've see lots of gators in the wild in Florida, but no manatees. Very nice!

That was really cool!

I am laughing at your mosquito report! I thought Minnesota had the worst mosquitos in the US ... but I guess a swamp in Florida would take the cake!

Those things are unreal. Just relentless and swarming. It's an experience, for sure!

Chapter 12: The One With DISMeets and Pie

As we drove away from the Everglades, I kept glancing in the rearview mirror. I was waiting to see the mushroom cloud emanating from Flamingo after I’d called in an airstrike. But it never came. I’m assuming the Air Force was busy eradicating Super 8 motels off the map from my previous calls and would eventually turn their attention here when they had the time. Also, they appear to have changed their phone number as my calls are no longer getting through. Does anyone have an updated contact?

We did a quick check to make sure no one had to visit the hospital due to extreme blood loss before continuing on. After the Debacle At Flamingo, the next item on the itinerary could have been just about anything and it would have felt like paradise in comparison.

Kids: “Where are we going next, Daddy?”

Me: “We’re going to spend 5 hours visiting a distant relative in a 55-and-older retirement community in Boca Raton.”

Kids: “Yay!”

Well, I suppose we could have done that, if I had any relatives in Boca Raton. Instead, we went after another easy National Park passport stamp in Biscayne National Park.

fTRBIAMuaZ3cH83uF5EjYcjNzmE8SLfBMQaNzQ1ovKi840XZ6Zwh05wEK460VtS_t6lfCoAI0O7MUAuPI4RO8yc0mwlSSj_b9ls-ZL2vac5jAqyArHccseQpexe1L1QBHb7dJ_nZSuSn3mq6YHIIfmxbrEC89oOttlZRWijcDQs8Sz233AxQ9ygb-zxPR-miKiFUep6jffIyQM4WCTQtOtWK4A1zYABC8fG5rvgfHFwambcKkWY1vZLmaaLLlgbXuwnK41xSdhnrxKaPf1Pi6VAeSZOmRykOxkGXr1TOWSs1NygrnQ_98FR5D3P8fAsqgVmA1Kge8xsuZVH7AQ3jdllkVHFrTIB-_hq46qiC47luE2suvTcr06gDg7DVl_UUTpeG65riZgxdmewlX_aRShJKi5-8R3lI-7e_MMiiBRP-QuCtH9Sfr1vm8u-1gsIFChIn3Ha5Rkuiig9kky46hnvL1nXoT3wj0DK4Y5gV9vqiBwALN7ep6BU6xcceHg1Voqt8Qcx8jsiXOTQQGsTfqKDrt-8M8HjUTkm2xhDkp-Ci2FAcqk80bUEIT023PAuIr_q9-k2Z1zJQZW8_Rv1DmNsLP9vxrQHf2xlJlw8d=w1242-h828-no

This is another unique park in that 95% of it is under water. It was established in 1980 to protect Biscayne Bay and its various offshore keys and barrier reefs, along with their fragile ecosystems. So it’s a park that is best explored by watercraft, and we did not have the time or means to do so. So we just stopped at the visitor center to get an overview. And let Drew play with seashells.

A4WZjlZVhm8m0yhSZFHK83Jo1YKATTuJ5tah1ziqwty0YIkC6ed62BeK_ZxHflP1xaEPwcHPF3_kAN8wu86Aw2NYpv_JM9syhsM-aCVQlcYXLKPanYRTzKBuArW3Qrt2QsEQafJOqvjd6IY149cpfy902TnAYIzz7nSA_bI7DxMmNKOGWVoEdKx08UzgAQqXQVXaxW3puDuH7DNQLS0BWhOt5oCbee3nMytaAAvQQAyaN-goNwsVQEGQbpnAJGFlPrp9FNTa0gZpClm8dqsND6ca-MJ1cE5zOjBk8g4g85gRSgCJwEJFcT0A5anoom4_RtLALW4sWdPACQlaqhDbTdKmPdOoU41ZjobD74mlK_WC5xAKoTCESSldxOTmqgGXCoNWZzSMd5hjqpN2SQX_6Kptf0oUa90RclWtV6fIYFSg8C6P_eZd3fnmVUg8EQpTYX97uin_-GmFBdma7STtU-Uf0lEjqLmh1iTDDVP_FvmiBv9KFAyIQuYtJ6Rov47JWANITru2amSrld9t51nZv88Dcofzs4yV0zWnIZIwxdp_N1UvxAQYkEL88l4_MGaYRVo4FXY06NS5lvoYY55sGlGowhzWNyOjhYO2cFVI=w1242-h828-no

Much better than mosquitoes.

The visitor center is located on a little spit of land on the edge of the bay, and there’s a nice little picnic area where a lot of locals were out enjoying the sun. It was apparently THE place to host a family bbq, since there were several going on at the time.

vJpHSEPuPyRb6E2UWDNLEUun3NPjW1g9ibt06lGEpl9Y3GR_YEnR3aD9Bs_FtRzvt58B4PHobSMYalhgriJKWu5-BYKx_8KfxvYinI274IGqrM35dxkTCwXSk0bwAR7J2EzZKCgZjRzOVlYsBsqFaAPzeciEgSqnOpyV_EZnYobbodDGAd5XwfIGJpVljCq3cqqmTNyDIroUl2Y45vbCkS_DVZT6CK-0Vx5T1evWe1TOuBeDhxEW4nKNVI0Gatsccof4YvXzX7ffB9JjZGrmVUMDZqnTlKKMsgxBhvqY1EUBvv5TOwIyxfJ1jmqjShvK7TeAjLSMpu6x7L46M0QDRWYK2GfK6RCkzykjh_DPZauRJZ6RhV5SgquFZZmvTgHZ9fmSOmDSbuoLu__sHs_Ny9T8NUxnx1QcgB0pbn6brX1WZhYsZGYKdxHZWvnQAddKLVmUXte8RjpD9-fd884j0XaYyADXf1G6WyYmySK869ye5KHgKyPOMDb4G8V9TF9ykz5HiImQd3OMM4MLNQNQkURgBcyAs5igeum6rvn3MjrJugAuvoXlNIbIccW9NvwGVxOY9UYxrcNnS2skxd1vYc79ql3NjyzXyXuNhTzm=w1242-h828-no

5sA_0QAkDn3SdS0_B3JnM8y7GdGp-uwPaioPPymjmv8dgwSaS1rNzadmGpmvqBzSJ5Aia8FH1d0aE0kzWF0dNVXnH-mx7I-qqKJw0pvWrAlccdiYjuKJWZTJc8nadW16oaB79gqvIM950fCyG2k7SC8auHDHM36-5MQl_MSXd_q3mkqowmSIRcOjUXGbItmjQcjfwgHV06yG-ASLLEJHfC2ZlVvwE7yTYDu372af9SpM2Kfki4SippophRKBS9UDG89SFJxa50iJmFVNweo2IOjJIy6DxH4g1w7eFXF10nyxef_rp4IQfSTsqZjNX3i0wYTdCuVo5mW6YXLOFkAwuX6OvzNtG1g7QHiEU8eDnDN792cOeewWYFuztPSsWM9PPlYTrW9zujKBueX1HCIh0CPNjidLW2f9cwq_ksjsVAXIEFuJ4uGXwGIqBfkyFERUYUp_fkujRIPAFjtzUvzKAZvbb5sxZcNXRBu4XIhbDz0pib66qDZzT99Zm1gDn09j_3wmr2EnIQo_LWphaiJJ-7U1lAVn8IJkqB9bbOv1eZh2E3jHQM2R7PITUXHniICjGQBMiPWz7J_6Vr8A6YiKhFgdR1np2ZlM8FwEpqOt=w1242-h828-no

While we were in the visitor center, I’d been exchanging texts with a fellow DIS Dad, @cj9200 . CJ has achieved DIS Dad Emeritus status, which basically means he’s one of the guys who has been around since the very first DIS Dads thread was born on the DISBoards. He claims to have recently pulled back into semi-retirement from his job, but to tell you the truth, none of the rest of us are convinced that he actually had one. He appears to spend his days scuba-diving, sending his daughter scuba-diving, taking photos while scuba-diving, and drinking scotch while barbecuing something he probably caught while scuba-diving. We believe he basically owns the Florida Keys.

CJ is immensely proud of his daughter, who is something of a legend in the DIS Dads thread, better known as the Pirate Princess (for reasons I’ve long forgotten). She spends her days as part of a marine research team. I might not have all the details correct, but from what I can tell from the photos CJ posts, she basically goes out on a boat and catches sharks with her bare hands, holding their jaws shut while the team tags them for research. Don’t ever get on her bad side.

Anyway, the kids and Julie had just walked into the theater at the visitor center to watch the park film when CJ arrived. He barged through the doors and walked right past me, immediately chastising the park rangers about the kinds of people they let into their buildings and demanding I be removed from the premises.

No, seriously, that’s what he did. This is how we roll.

Having sufficiently given me crap, we shook hands and then we sat and watched the rest of the movie before introducing the family. Then CJ said the magic words:

“Come on outside so we can eat this pie before it gets warm.”

Wait, there’s pie? No one had mentioned pie before. This day just might be salvaged after all.

For some reason, we all felt like we had low blood sugar, so we figured pie might be a good idea. Actually, I’m just making that up. Fact: it’s never a bad time for pie.

CJ had figured that if we were going to be near the Florida Keys, we needed a proper key lime pie. Hey, he’s the local, so we deferred to his expertise. And it was really good! Thanks for the treat, CJ!

NDtoTp25LySNG2oF6kYksb0jsPXU1uYUrGuU2rfyek6l2mN99f9rmk90UCdRYdg-HZxBNTm754AIbT0rofdnsBTWUdF4ukT3XsySeAFB1N7TK8GC3vUjoACJuY7EoNmunhjuSa2oOKw7u7kpw3sue6kooa9iDTVrCAVzkSBnVgHvY8WoXW1yXosoKW72N91ZnSmXPgcDyaT4rQzrdOEc2VMrvfaTDJY4DxELSrxGe6jid-G5TANpBli26lWVxDrsdWwJm-GIB5HB7XSS4K36ZBRG_gcmGk6_Y8f4MobY4dCVbw7O1Q0KQIQpctIoYpL276V6tf_z_AzcZsVsAnEZS0RVrt_Epk3hIsNZl7LevamW5VRCKtQvcg7s1UxYkn_hmHja24MJWI8RAy0pnJio4iP57Nya3IpQcze5dxenf3myh7AsbYKW2KR0k6NskJT_8ElTSmbQURsApwxgzQvF2Ng777CSwMgsN2Z79ywueNxjwOC_4Jys0SsiQ_oHnG7QFd7I7YI_LliZI4xE8vFuNVzmm7AkLTalQU2wnGTRvSpnM2gPeI4RTW3IyCyzkQsYSvzM_Oj1iUoMJzEnKh4bu3eJ1TER2A64sNVC5X2X=w1242-h828-no

Julie took that photo, which means somebody grabbed her piece and ate it while she was away from the table. Hey, you snooze, you lose.

Nearby, a family was grilling up some chicken and it smelled amazing. CJ kept trying to goad Scotty into going over and stealing some for us, but Scotty was apparently feeling too cautious (read: chicken) to try it. But at least we had pie.

We took a little walk on the path along the bay. Just across, you could see Miami rising out of the water like Atlantis.

tdxM1gJ4FAJF6DWP1UU-Ht331YBDmWUBQlw60kuuQrjPfuoTJzE8087Az53weqkq2EyOSCrriE29BNMIUq_fc7W96clL9uWXCRSWWNbeS56k0wpYXoVjwdf5Bvr6aNmK9zuKcEcFBUyIuVdnoPPU9lYZ6jyZKkDpGSTcBQacHgSr2IveXDsOaDUPMkV_Wnva-TbYItdEJfAQHvvBSNafHcC5tZ5zjQQ-Kb8NcRr2eZAcydgf0XfpHJeNcyTJETydU15X9a7Tf1VgLWyDR5_I4Lau_BaownVNlUkqU78bnOJo9NQodP6Sa9bQtMew8nmEGImd0MQeAH8NI6VS_vPoj1gIRbNBgV_WvCBo5Ut8xmGp1lk6cGTnRhm_1DMvBQwVZU0aS2jvzsggqQMY6jFDOQm3A8gho7hg3OMed5us_hjdYCAUjflpPBUNtAyk7l8KJ5FELkTCval2eqNj2kT9N79IGudZHl2lSEFRQlCD2iPDlie1yBoC_YjG94L320vzHlPh8SeoGWrwrTN-GW2BYpOpYkkp_hwS6H-YRQNydVrrTuop9muJMd_X5vk97NN5l6FnRVtfa3EX-Rsr2lc82i0HrLrjrAgcsTSYUpSc=w1242-h829-no

CJ got a nice family shot of us against the bay there. I think he told Scotty to try and knock me in, so I made sure to stand on the other side.

IqvAzpHkU_7vkRdgXVCya_IKX8ADxlPL9m4SAgV-7PDe9LkXNNrx7VOxzDsZC6SeTZwspaDK7Dsm6e6WAYJiIY_wUxn_CSXa752lWCiPcSlyNp17nOhkqMO20HXg6qtIMmR50on4DUpN36o0k1YmWa3SRCgXTm_A6cZlQ7jZsthAlQBS03GLCePCGD0Pv1INBnGp22mf3C7xlmScdq5yXT5vVI3kA5rPScP3MdYD3NULRgtCL5bXv375OnSx7edaeI5mJfaxs6J1aMEqeVsT7-jpJkBgkLhPQEbpE26OvQRSA9IyWQmUrKgbwizynxNJbasmsNz-0r93rfq-dGpRh0OnLBtmby4x1ULKkBs8PtefssD8g_ExplnJtBTfrd8whFFXwh9cxs7nrYY7Zb_w5YdI0R_hoLZv9TUMaGmDUqW0gLH8zVaULW32GYYFejDDkksMSIsQiYRHLofNlreS5uuVw23geJk28wJ-nReIdb2JE02VbuflndaMQ2FWq7iF_aQfL7HzSJ6H95kwX2EPClR0vKoqji0Zy_blISpl8PQHuxJ6GyGjqbpEiX3xReMNrr4m-BrMOzPc6yiWhH138hU7fcFFtqo14N0eymGu=w1242-h828-no

And we got the standard “Pictures or it didn’t happen” photo to proved the DIS Meet did in fact actually happen.

ofZJQ78As8iG2S1U9NqzDveK6uu_dDtfg23FqD0lPX-5P4m1eCdIl00xQO4N09StMUspcrNcrxJbSLXi-bvF9x_hVIoyFH7upSI_2NrS_tFlr7SzoryQi0lzm-swUJYBy75Yj4CgxlG0f3kcYaeB3XJkJ9dG1JX9JKqX3vMTCIcpzarRkLKJOzpNbW31Mu8WYLtafVxByGAMo5cgoSXOlRWskyq7dQR030OoTotGzHw7LEyfA_fXYz7YhB9VPKAfak7Uaq09SsBJIBGi5rP_o5OIAuz_FPy2fMQ9lIr8F7W_gG42FVtxGcuSH_B2ftKyYdSRHZ-plM_b2yF44hTaLO1RIuIytIykzhDwrG8A_aXq-8FyNUsIkPWrveIbGEDLOBekcHrlrot5Ifwa0eCLjpc8A_y5FnWtGyn5fM8af8C8Et9NbOQV1IgTYi-lCpJ1x_1uh-TbcW1s_5IKhURg2JD5mScqPwgqdYKjQ1MQoJsrskdal9WTtD74KkFzq9VV6Q8uensH2r3UXbJ_bGOLCfCPg53F9Wh6U0Ff1-6S6HdcrPe-w2HHQJMTMAtUNCQQqZlRrMhCvNwzzXezxsNVMtgm0dWIbl-pkQAzarpO=w1148-h861-no

CJ, it was great to finally meet up and shake your hand! Thanks for the pie and for the offers to take Sarah out scuba-diving. She was certainly not opposed to the idea.

After CJ left, we wandered a little further and saw some more Florida wildlife. These are called Lime Fish, for their green color and the fact that they mostly are found near the Florida keys.

lW_pFv0x9EGp5VGx4CYMpbhzMpIvTM-sK4MgpXThTQqTxFsNsQIzEWRbEGXVdVGG-93raEAUMffYRTCh9xdGRqf7Q8V9RanGkop-HlNm3K6M8Ta1B3aOPdH2-eTRRRvUH0zGCuVKXVVhZEhz4N1WgAhFmCGT1Z_XrscoZ30IAnHNi2RKyW6Axy7RMQyOg5ldLCEnadAOB5P3uhZAfsVNLdjfc2q3SGHFcdpbED2I1zao64rsrx_VfpoailQ4S7Cp_KgUVSFEXJLTgDjPUYCSw4Bq7G8XH3o6xTTBDTgbNx7PiPQJbL8j54gznrMbxIB0SZ9kA8yyR3Xo-9uwZ9g8ywgo58PXZV8vjD0rZG9Qfvvk-Jk1p8YMiUetw-k1PGBk1NeH91xm2L03KgP45SAKtsn6YCYva0qcW90B5EULtP_lz81UDjHrgGZy9IPyKMbKrVGwcV1QsNjcKo1hqBPQFh-I92L2eSuxBPoNU6F8Mv2iW8jyUe2c6DzVnsVYv5V4dGQtGie6s_SLBD3KhRvbvqcM23T8sUCI3E9ih5_9w0M7QuubfdoqhPjOOm17phXLmaImPfa1OEqf5T_pXeNEuJq2oMTW-zgHCUhMuhFW=w1242-h828-no

Actually, I made that up. I have no idea what these are, other than “fish”. Just trying to give you more of that crackerjack trip reporting you’ve come to expect from me.

DOXiqCEVzWWHp_KIraHnJV3egM5jFdrflStPO7zSMEJpJsVZQZgyLIh2mdcz9b60P_efXg8irp1Lswz-LZpxq33gHxsqx-_3MbnrB8OuqNQOMshp6hTllDCEwvZ5xdiILDn3cB3YbF04-DjcAoSjv4YIxc01EGeFBkMoJF4wsidsDH3FE_ByBeRdjklgsLThTykiSccwngBQoAoIqLOcOaO1S_b1iJnRM7jefOV-PoywF1HLuHOSG73ZzrRYQaNrnfjAm_nMEVyVE7aPNyHt8_tWFTM9fc6S0ou1WEB7st6ZT_I7u2hkAlog8o1uAKdR-l8whSf6qcbR7_ttYabmGIyN0f3kAqodCFIswC-RA0RQbhtAZYl4aKZg0m1gEowRQKh5Pr8qckuPvnlqW2z0KAKNSq-Jgp9uT3MFEZGLiGsCACuSDoACtZ-c-Px72eDty5PtNZ4hm-4itaDvQSI88R1-Bz97qSdvSjK2IiUuXsLq0XABzImcxP2iIELq1a0v-idAwJgxnXjG7fC1Ui1UxRHB8CUrPVSKEc9cjGS95JMuq1UPTJsiaO3HfXbaWLqSLBFrcShk5bk9_XXJzpoUqgLd0C1QB4nuhChQMmiS=w1242-h828-no

We packed up and moved on to one more visit for the day. This one had been arranged by Magdalene (@Flossbolna )—she had seen our general itinerary and offered the services of her (then) fiancé, Michael, to be our personal guide through the famed Disney Character Warehouse outlet in Sawgrass Mills.

Those of you who follow along on Magdalene’s trip reports know that Michael does not like to be photographed and refuses to allow his photo to be shown on the DISBoards. This, of course, raises the question as to whether or not “Michael” actually exists or is just a figment of Magdalene’s imagination. So I was definitely curious to find out for sure.

We exchanged contact information, and after submitting to retinal scans, blood tissue samples and a CIA briefing, I was able to get in touch with “Michael” and arrange a meet for that evening. We decided to meet right at the Disney shop in the mall. He said he’d be wearing a black DVC ball cap.

We arrived right on time, found the store, and started looking for “Michael”. Several minutes passed, but he never showed. I think he got one look at our family and got spooked, and decided not to risk blowing his cover. Either that, or he never really existed in the first place.

Ok, fine. We did find him. I’m happy to say that Michael does, in fact, exist! We wasted no time getting into the outlet and scouring the place for deals. Michael knew the place like the back of his hand and was happy to show us around and point us in various directions towards hard-to-find items.

The store does have some steals in there. They had a ton of Star Wars stuff, which delighted the kids. T-shirts and mugs for $6, and so on. So, Disney merch + cheap prices = lots of shopping.

Unfortunately for Michael, there are 6 people in my family. And whenever we enter a Disney shop, everybody wants something. They don’t even always know what they want, just that they want something. And we’re also bargain-hunters, so we’ll spend time scouring the racks for the best deal. All that to say…

…poor Michael was in there waiting for us for about 45 minutes. To his credit, he never complained once, unless there was an angry rant to Magdalene later in the evening. But with us, he patiently waited until everyone had found their treasure. The deals in there are pretty great, especially when compared with the typical gouging prices in the Disney parks gift shops. Now that we know this store exists, I’m sure we’ll never, ever spend money on the ridiculous prices in Disney parks shops ever again.

Afterwards, we walked down the way in the shopping center and had dinner at the Grand Lux Café, which is basically a high-end version of the Cheesecake Factory (I think they’re owned by the same company). To be honest, I can’t even remember what I ordered. Maybe a burger? It was probably all of the blood loss from the mosquitoes getting to me. The food was good, though. I don’t remember being disappointed.

I mostly hung out at the end of the table with Michael while he held court. Give Michael a subject—any subject! He will have a forceful opinion on it. He actually reminded me a lot of my mother that way. I think he thought we were a little nuts with the trip itinerary we had planned, and…well, he wasn’t wrong.

He presented us with a plastic Disney Parks bag as a gift from him and Magdalene. We opened it and found a treasure.

They had recently been traveling overseas and had visited both Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo parks—Magdalene had decided that maps from each park would be the perfect gift for us.

She was right! I guess she knew that maps are the way to this particular engineer’s heart. It was pretty cool looking through them and seeing all of the attractions at Disney parks we’ve never visited before. Like something familiar and exotic at the same time. Incidentally, Michael said Shanghai Disneyland has some pretty amazing attractions.

Magdelene, thank you for thinking of us! We loved the maps! And thanks for letting us borrow your fiancé for the evening! We wish you both many, many years of wedded bliss. And congratulations again.

We had one more piece of business to attend to. It was a tough call…Michael doesn’t want his photo posted…but we have a “pictures or it didn’t happen rule”…no photo…pictures or it didn’t happen…

The heck with it. I’m getting a photo. If nothing else, I want to prove to the rest of you that Michael actually does exist. So, let’s everybody line up. What’s that, Michael? Oh, sure, absolutely. I’d never dream of posting this anywhere in public. Scout’s honor.

Heh. Sucker. I wasn’t a scout.

Everybody ready? One…two…three! Say cheese!

WsfzFfTJ0XStKtX0lLiMZAI92p8qEnbxL7buBWrwHWcPcNLVxfO36jHtFqIhIp_3IyCMeu_9OT3AAzZcg3reDMIT4o16GQ-tzChIdFSQq972KUMhdJRf4cRn66_JD-CkWUrPibzd9e_3p92iznP1IMKMnVIlq24geI21XbXI8qs-t0YgjFO0Oj-U6O-rWRN2YRmUgC4YOuJosXMtwbVkeVGCUNB8ZbBEIkTWFMbv9xOBq2-kZLyQwDpLTEfep8SlV85VZJLfe6rap8MV8oUcBknvCF04G4F0Y0EPWLz4fZYAbOEJdgBdCJBsnGl_snz9R6Cd69eXDUI4guvVE8Xj1BHgE1kAadI9d9BvpIqxgThssgmU1MJjCs_cj_L66V6oiSrrzMrB3Juc1JN2rYq5kQYRYPh8EUtCfN2IcDqii1z2FNY6CPIXXXTHOBDlpcGaz9G0tavR0KSkR7Om4diq5-C0wJRuoq9Osqumsu4H1qzamMnXPiWh2iSzFBoEr9YqL02BKvrohUs0_TJKNJWcJ1bovxveAyMUoIcKDz6UTQ7wpeetZpi5P6CLbLXjb8XUGdjJ-BfNiGyRspdUGmvSs120NFM0f-VXI2Lu0itx=w1147-h861-no

Son of a…

Drew, you’re killing me. Somebody grab the camera before we get a thousand—

8HEhFgSJuac5T0C8pVKg4-NwU5u7Z2PKK7pPJYxYdekMHvogfKgASPfGFqRsjNRS72xOTogkdpn_vX9maN6SLtBpOzmU7BxGpQI5WaQbcEQ0eEhGkO0k_0ZAsbWn7y7AhKLN4oMZc98ZFcvzaI06jmmNKL2pugjrZ27Xe2H-EmBQbMwCSJLUqZPxkC3DqwwPfDXgiUTt8Jux5h3-T1pBeYZ6JanpDld0VYdzJYY77hs9zwIHpDW5GOj0nkAR-j5Jlrfv6UYIRsNBu7wY281Zv1RFM_rbOEuDXazVTI2zVUHO3m82d0a5hvO1vhgtbNqA1ShscDYkjOCQDKlHLdgjHKDJxUISWwcAsKHGYCB-ISx0_tewQDdTz826eDX-pACU-hFgyQtfzl7eIdmKLM4RK877Zi3YU4-b-u7fitx4OhcTfMjrDYiSyBOaRLdiXNpk_44FJjsftOPw5nngK3lMhKYAUELJi2r9iCWD3hXF6kvAoFt_WqtPdaJr4B5hBhO-_BVIeb8v8ph29eoQJRN219UxCgq-wtBTp3WN4Wp625k-RICwfHsA7tX0qHjz7p7dZPcyZ9EVxu4oJx5eB10zO92viKBaIzXN8iSW7gqP=w647-h861-no

Sigh. Never mind.

Coming Up Next: My girls’ first trip to the Kennedy Space Center! If we ever get there.

I have been meaning to comment on the previous updates for ages, but now really have to immediately! Don’t worry about making Michael wait in a Disney outlet. The 45 minutes you spent is nothing compared to the time I have spent in there with him... waiting for him to go through all the pins, tsumtsums and others important things...

Thank you so much for the good wishes!!!

Chapter 12: The One With DISMeets and Pie

I was waiting to see the mushroom cloud emanating from Flamingo after I’d called in an airstrike.

Good call.

But it never came. I’m assuming the Air Force was busy eradicating Super 8 motels off the map from my previous calls and would eventually turn their attention here when they had the time.

No. That is not what happened.
The skeeters took 'em down.

Does anyone have an updated contact?

Yes, of course. We all do.

But they emphatically told us not to give it to you.

After the Debacle At Flamingo, the next item on the itinerary could have been just about anything and it would have felt like paradise in comparison.

Kids: “Where are we going next, Daddy?”

Me: “We’re going to spend 5 hours visiting a distant relative in a 55-and-older retirement community in Boca Raton.”

Kids: “Yay!”

Well, I suppose we could have done that, if I had any relatives in Boca Raton. Instead, we went after another easy National Park passport stamp in Biscayne National Park.

What? No retirement home in Boca Rotan trip?

Boring.

This is another unique park in that 95% of it is under water.

Really! Huh!

So it’s a park that is best explored by watercraft

What about snorkeling or scuba?

And let Drew play with seashells.

I know this one!
Drew plays seashells by the seashore.

Beautiful.

While we were in the visitor center, I’d been exchanging texts with a fellow DIS Dad, @cj9200 .

Hey! Great!

He claims to have recently pulled back into semi-retirement from his job, but to tell you the truth, none of the rest of us are convinced that he actually had one. He appears to spend his days scuba-diving, sending his daughter scuba-diving, taking photos while scuba-diving, and drinking scotch while barbecuing something he probably caught while scuba-diving. We believe he basically owns the Florida Keys.

Accurate.

CJ is immensely proud of his daughter, who is something of a legend in the DIS Dads thread, better known as the Pirate Princess (for reasons I’ve long forgotten).

Wasn't it because she had to wear an eye patch for a while? I recall seeing a picture. Don't know why she had to, though.

she basically goes out on a boat and catches sharks with her bare hands, holding their jaws shut while the team tags them for research.

Yep. That's pretty much it.

He barged through the doors and walked right past me, immediately chastising the park rangers about the kinds of people they let into their buildings and demanding I be removed from the premises.

Smart move.

“Come on outside so we can eat this pie before it gets warm.”

Pie???? Hello?

For some reason, we all felt like we had low blood sugar

Well, sure. You had low blood so that follows.

Fact: it’s never a bad time for pie.

This is a truism.

Julie took that photo, which means somebody grabbed her piece and ate it while she was away from the table. Hey, you snooze, you lose.

Survival of the fattest.... fittest!

Nearby, a family was grilling up some chicken and it smelled amazing. CJ kept trying to goad Scotty into going over and stealing some for us, but Scotty was apparently feeling too cautious (read: chicken) to try it.

Well, then it would be cannibalism.

That's a pretty cool shot.

Nice family pic!

And we got the standard “Pictures or it didn’t happen” photo to proved the DIS Meet did in fact actually happen.

ofZJQ78As8iG2S1U9NqzDveK6uu_dDtfg23FqD0lPX-5P4m1eCdIl00xQO4N09StMUspcrNcrxJbSLXi-bvF9x_hVIoyFH7upSI_2NrS_tFlr7SzoryQi0lzm-swUJYBy75Yj4CgxlG0f3kcYaeB3XJkJ9dG1JX9JKqX3vMTCIcpzarRkLKJOzpNbW31Mu8WYLtafVxByGAMo5cgoSXOlRWskyq7dQR030OoTotGzHw7LEyfA_fXYz7YhB9VPKAfak7Uaq09SsBJIBGi5rP_o5OIAuz_FPy2fMQ9lIr8F7W_gG42FVtxGcuSH_B2ftKyYdSRHZ-plM_b2yF44hTaLO1RIuIytIykzhDwrG8A_aXq-8FyNUsIkPWrveIbGEDLOBekcHrlrot5Ifwa0eCLjpc8A_y5FnWtGyn5fM8af8C8Et9NbOQV1IgTYi-lCpJ1x_1uh-TbcW1s_5IKhURg2JD5mScqPwgqdYKjQ1MQoJsrskdal9WTtD74KkFzq9VV6Q8uensH2r3UXbJ_bGOLCfCPg53F9Wh6U0Ff1-6S6HdcrPe-w2HHQJMTMAtUNCQQqZlRrMhCvNwzzXezxsNVMtgm0dWIbl-pkQAzarpO=w1148-h861-no

Nah. Easily photoshopped.

After CJ left, we wandered a little further and saw some more Florida wildlife. These are called Lime Fish, for their green color and the fact that they mostly are found near the Florida keys.

This sounds made up. Typical of the trip reporting I've come to expect from you.

Actually, I made that up.

Ha! Busted!

I have no idea what these are, other than “fish”. Just trying to give you more of that crackerjack trip reporting you’ve come to expect from me.

I knew it!

Those of you who follow along on Magdalene’s trip reports know that Michael does not like to be photographed and refuses to allow his photo to be shown on the DISBoards. This, of course, raises the question as to whether or not “Michael” actually exists or is just a figment of Magdalene’s imagination. So I was definitely curious to find out for sure.

I don't follow her, but I do know of her.

We arrived right on time, found the store, and started looking for “Michael”. Several minutes passed, but he never showed. I think he got one look at our family and got spooked, and decided not to risk blowing his cover.

Cover had nothing to do with it.
He played it smart and bolted. ::yes::

Ok, fine. We did find him. I’m happy to say that Michael does, in fact, exist!

I only have your word on this? Ha! I don't buy it.

So, Disney merch + cheap prices = lots of shopping.

…poor Michael was in there waiting for us for about 45 minutes. To his credit, he never complained once,

I knew he was a figment of your imagination. No man is that much a saint.

Give Michael a subject—any subject! He will have a forceful opinion on it.

Interesting. I wonder what you talked about?

They had recently been traveling overseas and had visited both Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo parks—Magdalene had decided that maps from each park would be the perfect gift for us.

Nice!

:lmao:

Son of a…

...Oblivious parents.

Drew, you’re killing me. Somebody grab the camera before we get a thousand—

8HEhFgSJuac5T0C8pVKg4-NwU5u7Z2PKK7pPJYxYdekMHvogfKgASPfGFqRsjNRS72xOTogkdpn_vX9maN6SLtBpOzmU7BxGpQI5WaQbcEQ0eEhGkO0k_0ZAsbWn7y7AhKLN4oMZc98ZFcvzaI06jmmNKL2pugjrZ27Xe2H-EmBQbMwCSJLUqZPxkC3DqwwPfDXgiUTt8Jux5h3-T1pBeYZ6JanpDld0VYdzJYY77hs9zwIHpDW5GOj0nkAR-j5Jlrfv6UYIRsNBu7wY281Zv1RFM_rbOEuDXazVTI2zVUHO3m82d0a5hvO1vhgtbNqA1ShscDYkjOCQDKlHLdgjHKDJxUISWwcAsKHGYCB-ISx0_tewQDdTz826eDX-pACU-hFgyQtfzl7eIdmKLM4RK877Zi3YU4-b-u7fitx4OhcTfMjrDYiSyBOaRLdiXNpk_44FJjsftOPw5nngK3lMhKYAUELJi2r9iCWD3hXF6kvAoFt_WqtPdaJr4B5hBhO-_BVIeb8v8ph29eoQJRN219UxCgq-wtBTp3WN4Wp625k-RICwfHsA7tX0qHjz7p7dZPcyZ9EVxu4oJx5eB10zO92viKBaIzXN8iSW7gqP=w647-h861-no

:rotfl:

Mark, I got well behind on many trip reports. Slowly catching up. So glad I finally got the chance to read your epic Everglades chapter. A brilliant bit of writing.

Great to see you and CJ meet up. And I love that picture of Miami rising out of the water. I had no idea that perspective existed.

The visitor center is located on a little spit of land on the edge of the bay, and there’s a nice little picnic area where a lot of locals were out enjoying the sun. It was apparently THE place to host a family bbq, since there were several going on at the time.

Never went to the Visitor Center before you dragged me down there. Irma beat it up a bit and flooded the Visiter Center. The park is open but not sure if everything is repaired/replaced.

CJ has achieved DIS Dad Emeritus status, which basically means he’s one of the guys who has been around since the very first DIS Dads thread was born on the DISBoards. He claims to have recently pulled back into semi-retirement from his job, but to tell you the truth, none of the rest of us are convinced that he actually had one. He appears to spend his days scuba-diving, sending his daughter scuba-diving, taking photos while scuba-diving, and drinking scotch while barbecuing something he probably caught while scuba-diving. We believe he basically owns the Florida Keys.

All true except I started on the 3rd thread. That and I don't eat fish.

CJ is immensely proud of his daughter, who is something of a legend in the DIS Dads thread, better known as the Pirate Princess (for reasons I’ve long forgotten). She spends her days as part of a marine research team. I might not have all the details correct, but from what I can tell from the photos CJ posts, she basically goes out on a boat and catches sharks with her bare hands, holding their jaws shut while the team tags them for research. Don’t ever get on her bad side.

Also all true. Plus she wears a bandana to disguise herself.

3=5-18 1.jpg

Anyway, the kids and Julie had just walked into the theater at the visitor center to watch the park film when CJ arrived. He barged through the doors and walked right past me, immediately chastising the park rangers about the kinds of people they let into their buildings and demanding I be removed from the premises.

No, seriously, that’s what he did. This is how we roll.

Of course I did. I think the guide jumped a little bit.

CJ had figured that if we were going to be near the Florida Keys, we needed a proper key lime pie. Hey, he’s the local, so we deferred to his expertise. And it was really good! Thanks for the treat, CJ!

Wasn't exactly a proper pie but one from Publix. Not a bad substitute though.

Nearby, a family was grilling up some chicken and it smelled amazing. CJ kept trying to goad Scotty into going over and stealing some for us, but Scotty was apparently feeling too cautious (read: chicken) to try it. But at least we had pie.

We had the perfect plan that ended with Drew making his escape with our ill-gotten booty. Scotty disappointed me.

CJ got a nice family shot of us against the bay there. I think he told Scotty to try and knock me in, so I made sure to stand on the other side.

He was all in for that plan and redeemed himself.

What a pair of handsome men right there. Not the ones in the foreground, the guys on the nude beach across the inlet.

CJ, it was great to finally meet up and shake your hand! Thanks for the pie and for the offers to take Sarah out scuba-diving. She was certainly not opposed to the idea.

Same here Bubba. You have a great family or as my mother would say, "Good people." Anytime Sarah wants to learn, let me know.

Last edited:
Wasn't it because she had to wear an eye patch for a while? I recall seeing a picture. Don't know why she had to, though.

Yep, she was having a blurring eye issue. She had to wear it to the Homecoming dance and when recruiters visited her school to get them go to their college. She ended up meeting the recruiter from the school she decided to go. And yes the are called... the Pirates.

That's a pretty cool shot.

Great to see you and CJ meet up. And I love that picture of Miami rising out of the water. I had no idea that perspective existed.

There are a few of them. One of my favorites is going toward the city at night over a causeway.

Nice picture of you two. Can't go wrong with pie unless it is pecan or coconut. Should have had CJ give you a private tour of the beaches around Miami and then maybe you could have come up with a better reason than a mosquito to get your wife to slug you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter