The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

Sort of. It’s not an exact match up from owner to renter. I think it’s excess inventory, perhaps through RCI. I also know Marriott does cash bookings, and the resort has availability when we’re looking to go, so not sure if it’s all from the same pool or if the different options would be bucketed. I don’t know enough about timeshares to know how it works. Do people get upgraded in slow times?

I suppose I could just plan on bringing a couple of air mattresses, and see what unit we end up with. Even with double beds, the air mattresses wouldn’t go to waste, as at least one teen has reached the point of not wanting to share a bed.

Only Courts and Falls are sleeps 6. They check in on Saturday and SUnday respectively. Friday checkin should guarantee a unit that isn't sleeps 6, but the resort can place you in any phase as long as it matches the occupancy you have confirmed. Many of the phases that sleep 8 checkin on any day of the week. The resort map is color coded to indicate checkin dates;
http://vistana-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/vistana-web/destinations/maps/svr-resort-map.pdf

I have some very recent information that is important to booking with SVR through either II or RCI (and by default Skyauction, who frequently uses RCI)
For note, we stay at SVR several times per year and have had a most recent stay within the past week. We do not own at SVR, but do book through II or, occasionally, RCI and/or skyauction.

From what I was recently told: since the Marriott purchase of Sheraton, the resort itself does not have as much flexibility to accommodate requests, and they are having increasing difficulties with people booking through II and/or RCI and not having specific information on the unit they booked, and/or the ability or flexibility to accommodate requests. SVR wants to honor requests for specific units/sections, as they have always tried to do. However, they have been told that whatever unit is booked through II or RCI, SVR is required to give that exact unit. They state that people booking through II and RCI are not usually given information on what exact unit they are booking.

So here's the problem..... As a specific, I'm looking at II and my recent stay, and the units they showed as available for SVR are: 1 bedroom efficiency (usually the smaller of a two room lockoff, no balcony) or a "true" 1 bedroom, sleeps 4, or a two bedroom. When we recently booked a one bedroom ( with balcony, as we have done many times before, then requested a specific area) and when I called to request an area, I was told I did not book a "premium" unit. However, they could not define "premium". ??? As I had done for many years, and many stays, prior... I would book a one bedroom with balcony (which assured I was not getting an efficiency) I would then call the resort to request an area if it was available. That's not an issue for me, as I know not all requests can or will be accommodated. However, with II or RCI, there is usually no exact unit specified. Or if there is, I missed it in the booking process. SVR has been told that there should be NO EXCEPTIONS, and when someone books a unit, it MUST be that specific unit. But as in the case of booking through II or RCI (or skyacution through RCI) you are not usually given a specific unit or area. We booked a one bedroom with balcony, as listed on II. When I called to request Lakes, I was told I could not request there, and was required to stay in Cascades, which I had booked (not knowing it was Cascades). That was not listed in my booking. It's no big deal, since I do like Cascades also, so we requested right near the pool and marketplace.

Going forward.... and for those looking to book who are not owners.... if you book through II or RCI, SVR told me that you need to talk to II or RCI and have them tell you exactly which unit and area you are booking before you book, because it is not that easy for them to accommodate requests anymore.

And again, as told to me many, many times each year, I was told there is no one person/owner on the DIS who represents SVR on here, or what their current policies are, and whatever she (he?) may post on here, it does not represent SVR at all. They recommended, again, for potential customers to please call the resort directly to speak with one of their representatives, who will give them current and updated information specific to the customer's individual requests. As I've been told many times, one random SVR owner does not speak for SVR or can actually give up to date, accurate and relevant information. There are literally thousands of SVR owners, as I'm told. They want customers to speak with them directly, and they want the opportunity to work with customers one on one. They want their customers to have accurate, up to date information, especially since a lot of people who stay here are not SVR owners. They welcome dialogue with them directly.

So again, I'm posting information directly from SVR, we'll see if anyone gets offended again by the fact that I've stated many times, that SVR does not like any one person/owner speaking on their behalf on here, and that person/persons decide to report me for stating facts directly from SVR. Either way, I stay at SVR several times per year, and have spoken to multiple booking agents, SVR staff and managers. I always ask them policies, which do change frequently, and what avenues potential customers should take if they would like to stay here.
We also frequently stay at other Marriott properties, WBC and other DVC properties. We love the Sheraton for many reasons, and I highly recommend SVR to anyone looking for a great resort!

I have some very recent information that is important to booking with SVR through either II or RCI (and by default Skyauction, who frequently uses RCI)
For note, we stay at SVR several times per year and have had a most recent stay within the past week. We do not own at SVR, but do book through II or, occasionally, RCI and/or skyauction.

From what I was recently told: since the Marriott purchase of Sheraton, the resort itself does not have as much flexibility to accommodate requests, and they are having increasing difficulties with people booking through II and/or RCI and not having specific information on the unit they booked, and/or the ability or flexibility to accommodate requests. SVR wants to honor requests for specific units/sections, as they have always tried to do. However, they have been told that whatever unit is booked through II or RCI, SVR is required to give that exact unit. They state that people booking through II and RCI are not usually given information on what exact unit they are booking.

So here's the problem..... As a specific, I'm looking at II and my recent stay, and the units they showed as available for SVR are: 1 bedroom efficiency (usually the smaller of a two room lockoff, no balcony) or a "true" 1 bedroom, sleeps 4, or a two bedroom. When we recently booked a one bedroom ( with balcony, as we have done many times before, then requested a specific area) and when I called to request an area, I was told I did not book a "premium" unit. However, they could not define "premium". ??? As I had done for many years, and many stays, prior... I would book a one bedroom with balcony (which assured I was not getting an efficiency) I would then call the resort to request an area if it was available. That's not an issue for me, as I know not all requests can or will be accommodated. However, with II or RCI, there is usually no exact unit specified. Or if there is, I missed it in the booking process. SVR has been told that there should be NO EXCEPTIONS, and when someone books a unit, it MUST be that specific unit. But as in the case of booking through II or RCI (or skyacution through RCI) you are not usually given a specific unit or area. We booked a one bedroom with balcony, as listed on II. When I called to request Lakes, I was told I could not request there, and was required to stay in Cascades, which I had booked (not knowing it was Cascades). That was not listed in my booking. It's no big deal, since I do like Cascades also, so we requested right near the pool and marketplace.

Going forward.... and for those looking to book who are not owners.... if you book through II or RCI, SVR told me that you need to talk to II or RCI and have them tell you exactly which unit and area you are booking before you book, because it is not that easy for them to accommodate requests anymore.

And again, as told to me many, many times each year, I was told there is no one person/owner on the DIS who represents SVR on here, or what their current policies are, and whatever she (he?) may post on here, it does not represent SVR at all. They recommended, again, for potential customers to please call the resort directly to speak with one of their representatives, who will give them current and updated information specific to the customer's individual requests. As I've been told many times, one random SVR owner does not speak for SVR or can actually give up to date, accurate and relevant information. There are literally thousands of SVR owners, as I'm told. They want customers to speak with them directly, and they want the opportunity to work with customers one on one. They want their customers to have accurate, up to date information, especially since a lot of people who stay here are not SVR owners. They welcome dialogue with them directly.

So again, I'm posting information directly from SVR, we'll see if anyone gets offended again by the fact that I've stated many times, that SVR does not like any one person/owner speaking on their behalf on here, and that person/persons decide to report me for stating facts directly from SVR. Either way, I stay at SVR several times per year, and have spoken to multiple booking agents, SVR staff and managers. I always ask them policies, which do change frequently, and what avenues potential customers should take if they would like to stay here.
We also frequently stay at other Marriott properties, WBC and other DVC properties. We love the Sheraton for many reasons, and I highly recommend SVR to anyone looking for a great resort!
That was really informative - thank you! My question is how do I find out any of this information from, I assume, Sky Auction? It says sleeps 6 with a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday check in. I don’t know if that’s to cover their bases because they have multiple weeks or what because none of the phases with Friday check ins sleep six. I honestly don’t care that much which phase I’m in, but would like double beds rather than twins in the second bedroom. Any advice on figuring this out?

II does have a code that it retains which it receives from the Marriott reservation system as to what the specific unit type is at SVR for a deposit they have in their system. Unfortunately, this code can't be seen prior to making a reservation. Sometimes the unit details page can provide some information on the type of unit; things like full kitchen vs. limited kitchen or balcony or no balcony, but most of the unit descriptions don't provide a lot of detail to identify the exact unit type vs. a similar one.

However, after a unit is confirmed with II (either exchange or getaway) you can see that unit code. I have created a list of these unit codes that can be found over on TUG. The list isn't definitive because of the many different unit types that exist at SVR. Also when a Vistana owner makes a reservation using StarOptions, they are presented with the list of phases that they can book. I don't have any direct experience booking SVR but do at SVV and they will keep that owner in the unit and phase that they have reserved. The same is true for home resort reservations.

All of this is fairly new with Marriott Vacations coming into the picture. In the past the two resorts had a lot of flexibility in moving people between different unit types and phases. This is something that Marriott never really did at their Marriott Vacation Club branded resorts. If you booked a two bedroom sleeps 8 with two queens in the second bedroom, there was little chance of asking for or getting a two bedroom sleeps 8 with a king and a sofa bed in the second bedroom. There were of course some situations where it happened, but it wasn't the norm. It seems that policy has bled in to the Vistana properties. Nothing wrong with that and it is good for people to know the expectations going in.

I also am not sure why you keep bringing up what you do in the last two paragraphs. You might see it as me getting offended, but I am not. I really don't see anyone here proclaiming to speak on behalf of the resort. We are all just here to share our experiences, which you are also here to do as well. I just see the last part of your comment as an attempt to silence certain people from sharing here their first hand experience based on their visits to the resort. What you share seems is okay and to be taken as fact as some kind of self professed expert, but not what others share? I don't get it.

@ClapYourHands I think that SkyAuction is very much doing the same thing that Marriott has done to the hotel booking site for SVR. The only unit size listed is the lowest common denominator so that they can place you in whatever is available (for 2 or 1BR). Also note that with SkyAuction you win a bid, but it is not for a specific date - you still have to book your actual dates after the auction is won as well as pay any upcharges if the week is worth more than the base auction amount. There is a lot of fine print on the SA auctions. They won't know a specific unit, or even what week you are looking for during the bid process.

@mckennarose Not really surprised at this turn of events. I and a few other owners I have chatted with are getting pretty upset about how poorly Marriott seems to run this resort and treat its owners. It really does seem to be slipping downhill rapidly, whether it's inadvertent or intentional seems to be the question now.

@dioxide45 agree with your last point. EVERYONE on DisBoards is an armchair commentator and is just trying to help and pass on knowledge. Go to any other forum on the DIS and those are not Disney CM's giving advice, just other regular folks who have been there, done that trying to pass on their own learnings. In the end, the advice you get should be treated as if as good as what you paid for it.

As for RCI bookings there is currently no way of knowing the underlying unit on any exchanges. RCI showed that up until about 12 years ago but took it away across the entire system. I think too many complaints when people didn't get the unit that showed on the reservation for whatever reason. I have (VERY occasionally) seen the unit assignment flash on screen while booking at one point in the process on RCI.com but it is quickly masked as you move to the next step.

I do regularly post on here that people should contact the resort when a question gets outside of what common advice should cover. If you invest in the time and long distance charges, you too can talk to a live SVR agent. Just don't call the main Marriott reservation centre as they seem to know nothing.

Last edited:

So if I buy it now, what happens if the week I want isn’t available?
It depends a little on the auction for that one. I don't actually see SVR on there right now, but there are auctions up for Silver Lake Resort which is another property we own at. For the 2BR one, the listing says 3 are available, but there are 16 check-in dates listed (10 of which have already passed) in the main body of the listing. They do now have a 'check your date' tool available that I don't recall from previous visits, so that could add some accuracy. There are surcharges for some dates listed on both the 1 and 2BR listings.

With a buy it now and an immediate reservation you would be safe. If you win the bid, but wait to book (actually 'send your travel preferences' is their wording), another bidder/buyer could grab your date. I do see lots of positive feedback for folks who use the site and have only seen one complaint here on DIS about available dates, so I suspect they handle it well, but worth knowing that there is a risk. IIRC - and this goes back a few years - the bidder in that case was able to come to an amiable resolution with Skyauction. I don't recall what it was specifically.

Even with surcharges, it is a great deal usually. That $700 buy it now for SLR is a good bit less than the maintenance fees I pay (although our ownership is a 3BR).

It depends a little on the auction for that one. I don't actually see SVR on there right now, but there are auctions up for Silver Lake Resort which is another property we own at. For the 2BR one, the listing says 3 are available, but there are 16 check-in dates listed (10 of which have already passed) in the main body of the listing. They do now have a 'check your date' tool available that I don't recall from previous visits, so that could add some accuracy. There are surcharges for some dates listed on both the 1 and 2BR listings.

With a buy it now and an immediate reservation you would be safe. If you win the bid, but wait to book (actually 'send your travel preferences' is their wording), another bidder/buyer could grab your date. I do see lots of positive feedback for folks who use the site and have only seen one complaint here on DIS about available dates, so I suspect they handle it well, but worth knowing that there is a risk. IIRC - and this goes back a few years - the bidder in that case was able to come to an amiable resolution with Skyauction. I don't recall what it was specifically.

Even with surcharges, it is a great deal usually. That $700 buy it now for SLR is a good bit less than the maintenance fees I pay (although our ownership is a 3BR).
Thank you. I actually tried to book, and discovered the travel preference feature functioned as a good protection. Unfortunately they had not updated the site and what I wanted was not available. Nor anything close to it. I’m not sure if it was ever really available; maybe there was a mistake when the ad was created. Now there’s a new booking (same dates) with $750 base charge, $200 upcharge to 2br, and $125 date surcharge for my August dates. It’s honestly still not a bad deal, but it’s now in the range of what I could get directly through an owner on TUG/Redweek/etc., and with an owner I would know what phase I’m booking.

Thank you. I actually tried to book, and discovered the travel preference feature functioned as a good protection. Unfortunately they had not updated the site and what I wanted was not available. Nor anything close to it. I’m not sure if it was ever really available; maybe there was a mistake when the ad was created. Now there’s a new booking (same dates) with $750 base charge, $200 upcharge to 2br, and $125 date surcharge for my August dates. It’s honestly still not a bad deal, but it’s now in the range of what I could get directly through an owner on TUG/Redweek/etc., and with an owner I would know what phase I’m booking.
Yes, that is getting very close to what an owner pays in MF's. If it is earlier in August that makes sense; it is prime season. Prices start to drop later in August as kids go back to school. Many Florida schools go back around August 10, and some neighboring states also head back earlier.

Yes, that is getting very close to what an owner pays in MF's. If it is earlier in August that makes sense; it is prime season. Prices start to drop later in August as kids go back to school. Many Florida schools go back around August 10, and some neighboring states also head back earlier.
Later August by design. Just bought our flights. Going down 8/19, returning 8/27. Kids start school 8/29. We buy APs, take two trips within the calendar year and then a year off. By going down late this year, we can still squeeze in a week in August 2024 after FL schools go back but before the APs expire. Lower prices are great; lower crowds are even better!

The SVR deal I saw originally was $500 for the 1 bedroom, $700 for the two bedroom, and no date surcharge. Obviously that was a fantastic deal, but with a family of eight, I didn’t want to risk being over the legal occupancy for the unit if we got one that sleeps 6. My kids are okay sleeping on air mattresses, but I didn’t want to break the rules and potentially get kicked out. Like I wanted to be a rebel and risk it, but ended up being a rule-follower because that’s just who I am.

I will be going 2 weeks at end of October-November. I’ve always posted a wish ad on TUG, and pay what I hope is a fair price for an owner to recoup maintenance and a bit more. I only want Fountains 1. Would owners looking to rent their units who don’t own a specific date or unit be able to see if their particular ownership would permit Fountains 1?

As a side note, this is the first time I have posted a wish ad and so far have zero responses.

I will be going 2 weeks at end of October-November. I’ve always posted a wish ad on TUG, and pay what I hope is a fair price for an owner to recoup maintenance and a bit more. I only want Fountains 1. Would owners looking to rent their units who don’t own a specific date or unit be able to see if their particular ownership would permit Fountains 1?

As a side note, this is the first time I have posted a wish ad and so far have zero responses.
AFAIK yes it would, but that's not the kind of ownership I have. @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina might know better; I think their ownership is Fountains (not sure if I or II). These float week ownerships were still sold for a particular section, so an owner in Fountains should be able to reserve in Fountains (and probably only in Fountains).

AFAIK yes it would, but that's not the kind of ownership I have. @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina might know better; I think their ownership is Fountains (not sure if I or II). These float week ownerships were still sold for a particular section, so an owner in Fountains should be able to reserve in Fountains (and probably only in Fountains).

Our ownership is a high season float in Fountains I. It is our understanding that we will only be placed in Fountains I when we make a reservation (and that's where we want to be .... so we never have requested anywhere else).

That said, the resort has placed us twice in a villa that WASN'T in Fountains, even though we were using one of our ownership weeks. Once was during Covid, when the north side of the resort was closed (they placed us in Cascades).

On another stay, before Covid was ever an issue, for some reason they placed us in Fountains II. We didn't realize until we actually went to the villa after check-in that it was not "our" section .... it was literally directly across from a Fountains I building. We didn't bother to ask them to change it, since the location was fine and the villa was more than satisfactory. I'm not a fan of the jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom vs. the bathroom, but otherwise there wasn't really much difference. Some of the Fountains II buildings are just crummy location, with a few bordering the I4 and subject to road noise.

I would assume that you would have to find someone who's float week is in Fountains in order to be likely to be placed in Fountains. When it was run by the Sheraton folks, I'd say it wouldn't have mattered .... but I don't have that much faith in the Marriott management.

What time has everybody been able to get into their rooms? When we went 2 years ago it was 5:30 before we got our room keys. Hoping for a better time this year being 2 more years removed from covid.

What time has everybody been able to get into their rooms? When we went 2 years ago it was 5:30 before we got our room keys. Hoping for a better time this year being 2 more years removed from covid.
i think it depends on availability. we went there 2 years ago on the second or third week of December, and we were able to check-in at noon. so it really depends on your room availability and if you are specific about which section / and what building amenities you want.

We always try to get there around noon to check in, whether the room is ready or not, so that I’d there is an issue with the room assignment, there is time to negotiate for a different room.

Gina or other experts—
What is the current room request person and email for fall 2023?
I have lost track

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter