The Running Thread -- 2022

Speaking of lotteries....
Is there any kind of general sense of how many times you might need to apply for races such as Chicago or NY? Can you defer more than once (for example, if you got picked in the lottery for 2024, could you defer 2x and not run until 2026? Or are deferrals like a 1-time thing?

Last I looked into it by finding old press clippings the Chicago Marathon had about a 65% acceptance rate in the lottery.

According to this post, the NYC lottery has about a 16-18% acceptance rate (link). The 2020 NYC marathon had a 2.3% acceptance rate (link). The 2022 NYC marathon had a 12% acceptance rate (link).

London was 6.9% acceptance rate last I looked (17,000 accepted in a pool of ~250,0000), but looks like the 2023 odds were worse at 5% (17,000 accepted out of 350,000 submissions) (link).

Last I looked into it by finding old press clippings the Chicago Marathon had about a 65% acceptance rate in the lottery.

According to this post, the NYC lottery has about a 16-18% acceptance rate (link). The 2020 NYC marathon had a 2.3% acceptance rate (link). The 2022 NYC marathon had a 12% acceptance rate (link).

London was 6.9% acceptance rate last I looked (17,000 accepted in a pool of ~250,0000), but looks like the 2023 odds were worse at 5% (17,000 accepted out of 350,000 submissions) (link).

Always here with the data! Thanks Billy. I would LOVE to try and get into London someday and have heard it's nearly impossible for foreigners to make the cut. I do have a friend with a UK address and have heard this tactic can be successful. Anybody tried that?

November Running
Total Miles: 149.26
Time: Excel is being a pain - uh, 25-ish hours?
Average HR: 142
Average Pace: 10:19

Definite uptick this month compared to prior months in preparation for Dopey. So close to peak week and then taper time. Hard to believe Marathon Weekend is just around the corner.

I need to do some calculations to see how close I'm going to get to 2,022 km this year and maybe add a few miles here and there depending on how close I am. Hit 2,021 last year and wouldn't mind doing it again.

Anybody get into the NYC half via lottery today? I missed out. I'm considering a charity, but will probably just find another race instead...

November Miles = 162

Another good month. I hit all my training runs for January's marathon. Two more soul crushing long runs in December then we taper into Orlando!!

January Miles = 139
February Miles = 108
March Miles = 145
April Miles = 115
May Miles = 146
June Miles = 106
July Miles = 137
August = 151
September = 119
October = 151

2022 total miles = 1,479

Additionally, have you looked into the running the virtual NYC marathon? If you participate in the virtual NYC marathon, then you have a guaranteed entry in the following year's race.

This is what I did for the 2023 NYC marathon. Just had to be online at a certain time, since the guaranteed entry is limited. Then just had to link your NYCRR account to your strava account and upload your run within the given window. I'd like to say that the registration date was the beginning of June. Have gotten my confirmation and medal, and the email stated that a registration link will be sent in Jan.

Yes, I was going to look into this because I remembered it… I only entered the lottery once, for NYC 2020. I got in and later read that I had been really lucky at around 2% probability (it was supposed to be the day after Halloween and the 50th). That is why I am running it next year (one time deferral due to the cancellation).

Last edited:

Always here with the data! Thanks Billy. I would LOVE to try and get into London someday and have heard it's nearly impossible for foreigners to make the cut. I do have a friend with a UK address and have heard this tactic can be successful. Anybody tried that?
In Canada there are international travel agents with guaranteed bibs for all the majors except Boston. Maybe there are some in the USA for London?

November 2022 totals
Distance: 190km (118mi)
Average pace: 6m22s/km (10:14/mi)
YTD: 1880km on 2022km

I enjoyed the great outdoor and an in between season plan that fits well with how I want to run and my schedule.

Also, good progress on the Springtime Surprise costumes.

Anybody else thinking that runDisney should announce the 2024 DL race schedule soon? Registration for WDW 23/24 season will probably start in March, if it follows the 22/23 dates, so people will need the schedule for planning purposes.
Just a hunch, but I suspect that DL races will start with the 24/25 season, probably with the DL Half around Labor Day Weekend.

The Chicago lottery is a mystery to me. It seems like I hear of a person or 2 locally every year that don't get in, but there's always quite a few that do get in. I did lottery 3 for 3 from 2016 to 2018. I got lucky and was 1 for 1 on New York in 2018. I would love to do it again.

From what I understand, the NY marathon auto-qualifying times are not quite automatic. I think if you hit those standards in actual NYRR races, it might be, but if you hit them elsewhere there is a limited number of spots available as "automatic" entries.

November:
Miles: 98
Avg pace: 8:59

Hiking:
Miles: 4.9
Ascent: 1749 ft

Easing back into running - longest run after marathon was 7mi. Since I'm not training, will likely do shorter faster miles to pick up speed again.
In other news, I'm going on a long hiking trip to Patagonia (W trek) in less than 2 months having NEVER HIKED in my entire life. Any tips greatly appreciated. Since I'm staying in refugios - trying to keep my pack light and hope a 32-35L is ok. Started doing some short hikes with 30-40% incline/decline with a 20 lb pack and hiking boots after doing my usual 5-7mi runs (on a flat course and no hiking gear).

I'm going on a long hiking trip to Patagonia (W trek) in less than 2 months having NEVER HIKED in my entire life. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Ooo yay! I highly recommend trekking poles for ascent/descent. Will help so much. I have a pair that folds up so if I’m not using them I can stick them on my backpack.

Do you need to filter water during your hike? If so I recommend carrying two empty 1L Smart or Life Water bottles with something like a Sawyer filter.

Hmmm I’m sure I have more. I’m happy to look at your packing list or answer any backpack/hiking questions.

November 2022 totals
Distance: 139.3 km
Duration: 17h35
Strength, including yoga: 4h22
YTD: 1629 km/1012 miles. Yay!

I'm starting RunFitMama's December core challenge + ramping up training again for Princess with last year's DopeyBadger plan.

I also signed up for my first ever trail race, an 11-miler at Jay Peak in September 2023

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter