The Running Thread -- 2022

@jpeterson Tacos everywhere! I remember seeing a quote from someone many years ago about Austin - The weather is good, the music is great, and the tacos are for real. Or something like that. Sums it up perfectly!

Had a 10 mile race today, and I didn’t die or come in last 😂🥳😂

It could’ve been a little warmer at the start, but I survived, and set a new PR at 2h 13m 32s.

But by the time I got to the promised Brunch Bar, there was nothing but some breakfast burritos (which I don’t eat) and yogurt and granola (which I also don’t eat) So I had to wait until I caught the light rail back to the Mall of America to find food. I resisted half a dozen sweet treat options until I could get a burger and fries (and an Oreo shake 😋)
This sounds like a great race experience. Congratulations on the new PR!!!

Unofficial poll time. I need some anecdotal experience to help with race selection.
I usually have 1-2 HMs that I race specifically for a PR attempt each year. Prime time racing weather here is December to February. I am running dopey 2023 so I am hesitant to race for a HM PR at the end of my training plan because I need a couple of weeks for full recovery after a HM PR attempt and it would kind of derail training. Even though I generally start running again about a week later, I keep it slow and my legs are definitely not back to normal for a couple of weeks. I feel like January is probably out for recovery, especially after such a big race weekend. So, I am considering a February HM for a new PR attempt. My question is for those who have run Dopey or even a marathon. Would you feel ready for a PR attempt in a HM a month after Dopey? If not, what is your time frame? I hate to feel like I am "wasting" a major training cycle without trying for a new PR but I'm not sure if it is a reasonable thing to shoot for this year.

I can’t say I have data or knowledge to back it up but if you are looking for anecdotal experience, I have exactly that.
Last October I trained for a local marathon as an A race and set my PR taking 34 minutes of my previous time with the Wine and Dine challenge on the calendar four weeks later. Took a week to rest then basic running with one 15 mile run a couple weeks out. Took the 10K very easy and crushed the HM setting that PR by 10 minutes. I have no way to say for sure and everyone is different but I believe having trained to push hard for 26, my body was more than ready a month later to go only half that distance, it was almost easier than if I had just trained for a half. I would go for it.

Race report
Steel Rail Marathon 5/22/22

Well the Barkley Marathons already took ‘where dreams go to die…’ so I’ll just call this my rude awakening.

The course itself, fantastic. For those that don’t see it in their area, western MA has several abandoned railroad tracks that are given over to the towns and converted to paved bike/jogging trails that are about 15 feet wide and go for miles with very few turns and hills. This race was a simple out and back on a beautiful trail in the Berkshires, past several lakes and streams, mostly in the woods with a city at the turn around point with a slight hill down to that point
The support was as good as the last time I ran this with volunteers and water stops about every 2 miles with water, Gatorade, and Gu at most stops. The local police were camped out at any road x to immediately stop traffic, all runners no matter pace ware given right of way, there is no waiting or even breaking stride.
This was my A race for the near future, knowing I’m not quite trained for a BQ but definitely capable of a solid PR and who knows… if the weather is good I have to try and see where I’m at for Boston.

Well leading up to this we have not had much of a spring, winter really wouldn’t let go. My last run before the race was 49 and raining. Most prior to that were in the 50s but that should be great PR weather.
Well cue the New England weather, new forecast for the weekend, heat advisory. Friday high 70s warming to 98 Saturday and 96 Sunday. What?! Is someone joking here? Nope the weekend was going to be 🥵
Well it is weather, maybe it will change, I’ll hydrate extra and see what the day brings, right?
830 AM Sunday brings 75* start with dew point of 51 and expected lessening humidity but rising temps. Knowing in the back of my mind this would be a slower race didn’t really help me to slow down, since I am a run walker, I still started out looking for a BQ pace figuring I could just slow down.
Well I made just over 3 miles and said nope, not today, let’s look at a possible PR. Backed off by about a minute a mile and felt good, mostly in shade clicking off miles, and coasting down the hill toward the halfway point.
What’s that? Is that the sun ahead? No more trees? As I came into town about mile 11.5 a wall of heat met me and like a dope, I pushed ahead toward the halfway point figuring I could keep the pace and be back in the shade soon enough.
C5DA378A-9456-4732-81B1-ED195D11BCAF.jpeg

Awesome, 1:47 at the split, I could definitely pull off a PR. As I headed back the way I came I soon found myself wishing for that stretch of highway outside of AK, or even ESPN. Anything would be better, it actually felt like my shoes were melting. And what’s this, I remember coming down a gentle grade, why am I climbing Mt. Everest on the way back. It wasn’t even a mile before I realized it is not a PR day. Another mile or so after that the wheels came off and it went from an A race to I will finish no matter what. The sun was higher and the shade was gone with temps above 90. The pace continued to slow until mile 18 where I stopped at the aid station and stretched for a couple minutes regaining some energy, it helped a bit so between 22 and 23 I stopped for a full five minutes to stretch and cool down. That was huge, I should have sat for twenty minutes miles ago. I felt like a new person and being close to the end, managed to put together a solid finish.
E6426147-3833-4AB0-AA83-704F45035C8E.jpeg

Wow, from a 1:47 first half to a 3 hour second coming in at 4:47, my second worse finish. I did marathon 2020 as my first dopey and beat that. I took in more water and electrolytes than I thought possible but just couldn’t make my legs move when I wanted them to.

After all the training and hopes for a good run did I find myself disappointed? Surprisingly no, I’ve never had a race fall apart this bad and can look at so many different points to learn from the whole experience.
Plus in the end I finished upright and smiling and it is something most never start.
And also since a main sponsor since this race started is a local brewery, every finisher gets a 16 ounce parking lot beer
A72E3FFB-140F-47FD-9FB3-4D54A7EE5935.jpeg

Race report

Well the Barkley Marathons already took ‘where dreams go to die…’ so I’ll just call this my rude awakening.

The course itself, fantastic. For those that don’t see it in their area, western MA has several abandoned railroad tracks that are given over to the towns and converted to paved bike/jogging trails that are about 15 feet wide and go for miles with very few turns and hills. This race was a simple out and back on a beautiful trail in the Berkshires, past several lakes and streams, mostly in the woods with a city at the turn around point with a slight hill down to that point
The support was as good as the last time I ran this with volunteers and water stops about every 2 miles with water, Gatorade, and Gu at most stops. The local police were camped out at any road x to immediately stop traffic, all runners no matter pace ware given right of way, there is no waiting or even breaking stride.
This was my A race for the near future, knowing I’m not quite trained for a BQ but definitely capable of a solid PR and who knows… if the weather is good I have to try and see where I’m at for Boston.

Well leading up to this we have not had much of a spring, winter really wouldn’t let go. My last run before the race was 49 and raining. Most prior to that were in the 50s but that should be great PR weather.
Well cue the New England weather, new forecast for the weekend, heat advisory. Friday high 70s warming to 98 Saturday and 96 Sunday. What?! Is someone joking here? Nope the weekend was going to be 🥵
Well it is weather, maybe it will change, I’ll hydrate extra and see what the day brings, right?
830 AM Sunday brings 75* start with dew point of 51 and expected lessening humidity but rising temps. Knowing in the back of my mind this would be a slower race didn’t really help me to slow down, since I am a run walker, I still started out looking for a BQ pace figuring I could just slow down.
Well I made just over 3 miles and said nope, not today, let’s look at a possible PR. Backed off by about a minute a mile and felt good, mostly in shade clicking off miles, and coasting down the hill toward the halfway point.
What’s that? Is that the sun ahead? No more trees? As I came into town about mile 11.5 a wall of heat met me and like a dope, I pushed ahead toward the halfway point figuring I could keep the pace and be back in the shade soon enough.
View attachment 671215

Awesome, 1:47 at the split, I could definitely pull off a PR. As I headed back the way I came I soon found myself wishing for that stretch of highway outside of AK, or even ESPN. Anything would be better, it actually felt like my shoes were melting. And what’s this, I remember coming down a gentle grade, why am I climbing Mt. Everest on the way back. It wasn’t even a mile before I realized it is not a PR day. Another mile or so after that the wheels came off and it went from an A race to I will finish no matter what. The sun was higher and the shade was gone with temps above 90. The pace continued to slow until mile 18 where I stopped at the aid station and stretched for a couple minutes regaining some energy, it helped a bit so between 22 and 23 I stopped for a full five minutes to stretch and cool down. That was huge, I should have sat for twenty minutes miles ago. I felt like a new person and being close to the end, managed to put together a solid finish.
View attachment 671220

Wow, from a 1:47 first half to a 3 hour second coming in at 4:47, my second worse finish. I did marathon 2020 as my first dopey and beat that. I took in more water and electrolytes than I thought possible but just couldn’t make my legs move when I wanted them to.

After all the training and hopes for a good run did I find myself disappointed? Surprisingly no, I’ve never had a race fall apart this bad and can look at so many different points to learn from the whole experience.
Plus in the end I finished upright and smiling and it is something most never start.
And also since a main sponsor since this race started is a local brewery, every finisher gets a 16 ounce parking lot beer
View attachment 671221

It's always an accomplishment finishing a marathon, so congratulations! Sometimes those days just happen, unfortunately. The environmental conditions just don't align with training conditions and bad things result. To paraphrase an old philosopher "Sometimes you run race. Sometimes race runs you."

Race report

View attachment 671215

View attachment 671220

View attachment 671221
Those temps were brutal! Congrats on finishing! You certainly earned that beer.

Race report

View attachment 671215

View attachment 671220

View attachment 671221
Congrats on finishing another marathon. You have a great attitude regarding the race and all that can be learned. It will serve you well in the future.

Race Report:
Geist Half Marathon
Fishers, IN
Saturday May 21
73 degrees, 83% rh (felt Florida humid!)

This race was cancelled in 2020 and 2021 so I was glad that it finally happened. Course ran across the Geist reservoir a few times and through some nice neighborhoods. Elevation gain was 436 ft with constant ups and downs. I was on track for a PR until mile 11 when I fell apart mentally and let the hills get the better of me and started walking them. I missed a PR by 3 minutes. It was disappointing since I went into the race really hoping for a PR. Though looking back on it, probably not the best course to try for a PR since I don’t have hills to train on! Live and learn.

Glad to finally run this race, but definitely won't do it again! :P

20220521_065125.jpg
20220521_072932.jpg
20220521_071953.jpg
(Wished there was a character stop at this gazebo!)
20220521_072956.jpg

I can’t say I have data or knowledge to back it up but if you are looking for anecdotal experience, I have exactly that.
Last October I trained for a local marathon as an A race and set my PR taking 34 minutes of my previous time with the Wine and Dine challenge on the calendar four weeks later. Took a week to rest then basic running with one 15 mile run a couple weeks out. Took the 10K very easy and crushed the HM setting that PR by 10 minutes. I have no way to say for sure and everyone is different but I believe having trained to push hard for 26, my body was more than ready a month later to go only half that distance, it was almost easier than if I had just trained for a half. I would go for it.
Thanks for this input. That was kind of my thinking as well. My training will be more than I usually do for a HM so if recovery doesn't sideline me for too long maybe I can switch gears to a HM before the end of my race season.

I am quite excited! I applied and was selected to run the New York Marathon with Team Celiac. Both my daughters have Celiac Disease so this has a lot of meaning for me! And it will be the first time I have ever gone to New York! I will have to adjust my training a bit as my focus was going to be Dopey. But given that it is New York, I want to focus more on Marathon readiness. I will slip in some multi-day race training weeks and then jump into Dopey fully after New York. But I think I am more nervous about the fund raising commitment than the training…. If any of you have good suggestions please share.

I am quite excited! I applied and was selected to run the New York Marathon with Team Celiac. Both my daughters have Celiac Disease so this has a lot of meaning for me! And it will be the first time I have ever gone to New York! I will have to adjust my training a bit as my focus was going to be Dopey. But given that it is New York, I want to focus more on Marathon readiness. I will slip in some multi-day race training weeks and then jump into Dopey fully after New York. But I think I am more nervous about the fund raising commitment than the training…. If any of you have good suggestions please share.

Congrats! I'd say "see you there" but I just wrote to them about cancellation/deferral.

Congrats!! That will be such a great experience, running an awesome marathon, in a city you've never been, for a charity you are passionate about.

In 2019 I ran the Chicago marathon for charity for the March of Dimes. My fundraising requirement was only $1250, but I ended up raising triple that amount without trying very hard. I basically just shared my fundraising link with family and coworkers, and then also on Facebook (I shared the link about once a month on Facebook). That was all it took, but I was also prepared to hold a garage sale and bake sale if needed.

Good luck and happy training!

I'm doing the Buffalo Half Marathon on Sunday. Hopefully I'll have a good report to share. Anyone else doing the half or the full this weekend?

Forecast T&D is 107 (6 a.m.), 110 (7 a.m.) and 113 (8 a.m.). Race start is 6:30 a.m.

I'm not doing the race, but live in the Buffalo area.

Good luck on your race! The weather looks like great. The past few years that this race was run, it has been pretty toasty.

My mom and stepdad ran the first ever Buffalo marathon 30+ years ago when it was held at the beginning of May - and it SNOWED.

Question on heart rate tracking: When I google "max heart rate" it tells me to subtract my age from 220. However, my watch has measured heart rates up to 203 when I'm exercising, and I'm not 17. What gives? And how do I use that information for better running? Lately I've been trying to keep my easy runs under about 150 bpm (though I'm not always successful), but that's a little arbitrary. Any advice is appreciated!

Question on heart rate tracking: When I google "max heart rate" it tells me to subtract my age from 220. However, my watch has measured heart rates up to 203 when I'm exercising, and I'm not 17. What gives? And how do I use that information for better running? Lately I've been trying to keep my easy runs under about 150 bpm (though I'm not always successful), but that's a little arbitrary. Any advice is appreciated!

Others can chime in with better info, but in general watches are okay but not great at charting HR. A chest strap is needed for truly accurate tracking. It's possible your watch is actually tracking your cadence and confusing it with your HR.

Which watch are you using? At a minimum, if it's a Garmin, it has to be placed in the right spot on your arm (just slightly below your wrist bone, instead of between your wrist bone and hand), and it has to be strapped tighter than you might expect. And even then it's a bit iffy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter