The Running Thread -- 2022

Question on heart rate tracking: When I google "max heart rate" it tells me to subtract my age from 220. However, my watch has measured heart rates up to 203 when I'm exercising, and I'm not 17. What gives? And how do I use that information for better running? Lately I've been trying to keep my easy runs under about 150 bpm (though I'm not always successful), but that's a little arbitrary. Any advice is appreciated!

220 - age for max HR is an arbitrary measure, and is more likely to be wrong than right. Same for Phil Maffetone's 180 - HR for his MAF training zone. None of these are based on scientific data. Maffetone has admitted that he determined his formula just to force runners to stay at a low heart rate when running

Ideally, you would do some kind of max HR test, like a lactate threshold time trial. And as striker1064 said, watches can often get stuck in cadence lock.

Others can chime in with better info, but in general watches are okay but not great at charting HR.
My watch could easily be wrong for sure.

Which watch are you using?
I have an Apple Watch (Series 6).

Ideally, you would do some kind of max HR test, like a lactate threshold time trial.
I guess if I were really serious about it that would be the best course of action. But I'm pretty sure I don't care all that much 😅

220 - age for max HR is an arbitrary measure, and is more likely to be wrong than right. Same for Phil Maffetone's 180 - HR for his MAF training zone. None of these are based on scientific data. Maffetone has admitted that he determined his formula just to force runners to stay at a low heart rate when running
Yeah, that makes sense - it's hard to see how everyone who's the same age would have the same max HR. So is there anything useful you can do with (approximate) HR for training?

Question on heart rate tracking: When I google "max heart rate" it tells me to subtract my age from 220. However, my watch has measured heart rates up to 203 when I'm exercising, and I'm not 17. What gives? And how do I use that information for better running? Lately I've been trying to keep my easy runs under about 150 bpm (though I'm not always successful), but that's a little arbitrary. Any advice is appreciated!
I went crazy over this because I’m 50 and have been in good shape doing physical work and exercise my whole life. I have no problem hitting 200 BPM at max effort and can hold a comfortable conversation at 170. I have an Apple Watch 7 that I have compared with both a chest strap and Drs office so I know that I just have a higher heart rate. That 220 - age really only works for probably half the field
What I’ve found is the Karvonen method, which takes into account your resting heart rate and your heart rate reserve (the difference between test and max) and it seems to be spot on when I look at where it puts me and how much perceived effort I’m at for a particular rate. I would suggest to anyone to look it up and try it as everyone is different but we all have a resting and max rate.
9A4D0686-64D2-44FF-B17A-C1F84EB0F19A.jpeg

@WillRunForPizza I use the Heart Rate Reserve formula which exactly matches @Dopey 2020's Karvonen formula. For me, I use the following zones that come from Daniels:

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 12.21.50 PM.png

In real life, my 5k average pace is never 171-173. Rather I may see my HR hit 171-173 at the very end of a 5k race. It's important to note that it's realistic for your maximum HR to drop over time. So what was 173 bpm today, may not be 173 bpm 5-10 years from now. In practical terms, my HR average for M is usually around 145-150, and HM is around 148-154.

For me, I use HR data as a secondary measure. I focus on effort during the run, knowing I have goal paces that are adjusted based on hills and T+D. Post-run, I'll look at HR as a secondary measure to help confirm my internal feelings about the pace. If my HR drifts too much from past experiences, then I adjust my effort level for the next subsequent runs. Otherwise, I use HR data as a means to evaluate gains in fitness in a zoomed out manner (which I recently previously dove into earlier in this thread).

As for max HRs in the 200s, I've seen it from some other runners. So it can certainly be realistic. All you need is for the watch to be precise. If doesn't matter if the watch is accurate as long as under the same conditions it gives you the same value output. For our purposes as recreational runners, that's good enough to be able to use it to track changes within a run or between runs for the use in zones.

1653845484115.png

May running:
Total distance: 62.5 miles (lowest since last June)
Average pace: 10:29/mile

May included a taper for a half marathon on May 15, then about 10 days off, then I last-minute signed up for the local 5k in my little town. I had PR'ed this past 12 months in the 10k, 10mi, half marathon, and marathon distances, so I got greedy and thought Why not try for an official 5k PR too. I PR'ed and also got first place in my age group, which was a first for me!

NOW I'm really taking a break. Weather really heated up starting today so that will help with taking it easy.

May mileage: 127.7mi
May time: 21h 52m

Tomorrow is a rest day (because it's going to be 95 degrees Fahrenheit ugh). This is the most I've run since January leading up to Princess weekend. I'm happy that I seem to be completely over the injury that popped up in February, and I am managing 5 days per week of running very well!

I also have a high heart rate -- while "220 minus my age" is 182, I can hit ~195 in an all-out effort according to my Apple Watch, and used to hit ~210 in college on treadmill HR tests. It's not an ironclad rule.

I'm thinking of getting a chest strap just to make sure I have accurate measures, but the main thing I do is just calibrate based on % of what I think my Max HR is, rather than what my Max HR "should" be.

May Running
Miles: 40.3 running + 28.1 Walking -- 68.4 total
Time: 8:47:50 running + 7:56:28 walking -- 16:44:18 total
VO2 Max: 33.5 --> 36.0 (estimated from Apple Watch / Health app)

After taking a few months off post-marathon, I started back up this month, focusing on improving cardio health (Intervals 2x-3x/week) and consistency (running or walking every day, typically walking after an Interval day). This is my plan for the next few months until I start marathon training in earnest in late summer.

I was thrilled to see my estimated VO2 Max improve so much, especially because I can feel the difference on the trail. I'm less winded and have a lower average HR despite running 1+ min/mile faster than at beginning of month. Woohoo!

Also a high Max HR relative to my advancing age runner... I'm not a numbers person, so having exact data doesn't matter to me: I know from experience & some DIY tests what are my general HR ranges according to my Garmin, and can say that I don't really need to see that number at this point - I can assess by perceived effort pretty accurately. I mostly refer to my Garmin's HR data when it's a million degrees out, my pace is slow, and I feel awful, but need that outside data to verify that "it's the heat, stupid!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter