The Running Thread - 2021

Hi everyone. As a follow up to the hill training that has been shared, I have a question for the group. A cemetery down the road from me has some good hills for training. I’ve gone through them before in mornings so I wouldn’t see people or could avoid people there and be respectful. I’ve read before about running ethics and staying away from cemeteries. I just wanted to see what you all thought.

I don't think there would be any issues with this, as long as you're being respectful (no spitting on/near graves, running near burial services etc). I know of many cemeteries that offer tours and walking paths. When I'm buried, I'd be thrilled if there were (living) runners around me! ;)

Hi everyone. As a follow up to the hill training that has been shared, I have a question for the group. A cemetery down the road from me has some good hills for training. I’ve gone through them before in mornings so I wouldn’t see people or could avoid people there and be respectful. I’ve read before about running ethics and staying away from cemeteries. I just wanted to see what you all thought.

As long as you are on paved roads and not weaving in and out of grave sites or using the tombstones for hurdle practice I think you are safe. We have a few races around here that go through cemeteries and our largest local cemetery, home to a president and many historical figures, has a 5K totally within their grounds that is one of their largest community fundraisers.

My vest came today and the color is so much better than in the pictures. But I think it’s too big. It’s safe to assume that filling the bladder won’t take up inches in the lower part of the vest? Also, are these intended to fit so high on the back of the neck? I have no point of reference (and my local store doesn’t have any in stock for me to try) so I’m just trying to get a sense of where things are meant to land.

That looks way too big. I read that you bought the L/XL instead of the S/M. Maybe try exchanging it? I have the Nathan Intensity. It's One Size Fits Most. It's light weight and I find it comfortable. I just hate how long the hose is and how it attaches across the chest. I always end up knocking it out of the clip. I keep meaning to try and alter it, but never get around to it and then continue to complain about it 🤣

That's interesting that there's been ethics conversations about running in cemeteries. I've never even considered NOT running through cemeteries. One of my favorite runs is from my parents house to my grandpa's grave. I sit and spend some time with him, get some miles in the cemetery, then run back. My mom has even left water at his grave for me. Once, on a really difficult run with a friend, we spent some time looking for his grandparent's graves.

I wouldn't run by someone who is having a moment or on the grass or while there's a ceremony, but I find the cemetery a great place to run/walk and enjoy nature & peace.

Actually, when I used to work at a local after school program/summer camp, the kids loved to walk to the cemetery and walk through it. They were super respectful and wanted to read the headstones and enjoy the greenery.

I just signed up for an in-person race! A 5K at the end of February. I'm really hoping this actually happens. I also hope that since they are limiting the field to max 300 that I'm not dead last. Actually, it's not dead last that I'd mind, I just don't want to be super far behind everyone else!

One thing I will add about running in cemeteries:
Different cultures have different customs and norms around death and cemeteries. I've never been to a cemetery outside of specific occasions (funerals and other death-related events, anniversaries of a death, around holidays, with relatives visiting from out of town who haven't been in a while) and I would never think of just randomly going to the cemetery. That's not really a thing in my culture (it's not prohibited, just not really encouraged). And tbh, I'd be pretty offended if I saw someone running through the cemetery when I was there. It feels disrespectful to the people who are there mourning a loved one. But again, part of that comes from me not having regular visits to a cemetery as part of my normal activities.

That said, not every culture has the same norms or views, and if you've done it before and not had any problems, I don't see why you couldn't continue.

Yes. Although after my 7 mile run in the snow yesterday, getting a bit anxious about 26! This will be my first true winter marathon. Are you running it this year?

Yes, I'm doing the Half Hog, which is the night race on Friday (1 loop) and the half marathon on Saturday. I have never done the full - you are brave!! This will be my 6th consecutive year doing the half and last year was the only year the paths were completely clear from snow and ice.

I will look for you on the course - I'll be wearing a brown groundhog hat, so holler if you see me! Good luck!

That looks way too big. I read that you bought the L/XL instead of the S/M. Maybe try exchanging it? I have the Nathan Intensity. It's One Size Fits Most. It's light weight and I find it comfortable. I just hate how long the hose is and how it attaches across the chest. I always end up knocking it out of the clip. I keep meaning to try and alter it, but never get around to it and then continue to complain about it 🤣
I wondered about the length of the hose when I tried it on, but figured it was one of those things I could fiddle with to make work if it fit. I *can* exchange it, but the smaller size is double the price, so I'm just going to keep watching for another deal for now. I really don't "need" it for at least another month (it'll probably be 2 more months before I run outside.)

I had a question about something else running-related at 2am when I was up with the baby but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was now.

Yes, I'm doing the Half Hog, which is the night race on Friday (1 loop) and the half marathon on Saturday. I have never done the full - you are brave!! This will be my 6th consecutive year doing the half and last year was the only year the paths were completely clear from snow and ice.

I will look for you on the course - I'll be wearing a brown groundhog hat, so holler if you see me! Good luck!
Good luck to you. I will be the one lying in the snow whimpering something about “this is not like Orlando...”.

All right, y'all. I think the time has come that I'm going to have to become a morning runner. I've just missed too much lately, and I'm getting frustrated with myself and with other demands on my time. I wouldn't mind it if it weren't for the cold right now. I think it's going to be waking up, driving to a spot with a sidewalk, and getting it done. I do have access to a treadmill if super desperate, but I'd rather not. Any tips/ wisdom??

Feel free to tell me to suck it up and not be a wimp.

All right, y'all. I think the time has come that I'm going to have to become a morning runner. I've just missed too much lately, and I'm getting frustrated with myself and with other demands on my time. I wouldn't mind it if it weren't for the cold right now. I think it's going to be waking up, driving to a spot with a sidewalk, and getting it done. I do have access to a treadmill if super desperate, but I'd rather not. Any tips/ wisdom??

If you have a friend to meet early, it makes it harder to back out of the early morning run because you’re meeting someone.

Set your clothes out the night before.

Remind yourself when your alarm goes off why you don’t have time to run later and if you skip this run, you might skip more, and then whatever you’re training for (race, health, whatever...) will not be as good as it could have been.

I've did 95% of my runs on the treadmill last year. I cover up the display so I can't see the timer or distance because THAT just got in my head. Focus/zone out on the wall across the basement and away I go. I have a really hard time "tricking" myself into doing workouts, and basically just drag myself to the basement and force myself to start. 😆

I am an afternoon/evening runner the majority of the time but I've come across some podcasts discussion becoming a morning runner or just sticking to a morning routine.

Coaches on Couches
Brad Kearns

Last edited:

I wouldn't tell you to suck it up, BUT, for me at least, dreading the cold before I get out there is almost always worse than it actually feels once I get going. YMMV depending on where you live and how cold we are talking. Once you break the seal and get out there a few times I'll bet you can make it a habit.

What do they say, drink a big glass of water before bed so you have to get up to pee the next morning? Then once you're out of bed, you're most of the way there.

I will not say that to you, but to ask you to consider that the old expression "there is no bad weather, just bad clothes" is generally true. I don't know how cold is cold to you, but for me almost anything above zero is workable if not real windy or icy. I'm a fan of Smartwool for base layers (light weight and heavy weight), socks (run cold), and hats (regular and balaclava) and bought an Arc'teryx lined shell. None of it is cheap but I am now comfortable running the trails above 5 or 10 degrees with a base layer, a runDisney shirt, and the the jacket. I also have nano ice spikes, but will skip a day if the trails are really icy. The nano spikes work well, but for me I don't get a natural roll of my foot/shoe with each stride so I won't wear them for runs over 4 miles or so. I also wear tights/leggings (guys don't know what to call them) below 40 degrees, sweatpants below 25 degrees, and both below zero.

My mantra (stolen from somebody else) is that if you are not cold during the first mile you are wearing too much, and if you are not warm by the third mile then you are not wearing enough. Yesterday was a good example (24 degrees, cloudy, but with almost no wind in Chicago)...my hands were cold during the first mile or two with regular running gloves, they were fine for the next couple of miles, and I took them off for the last couple of miles.

Last edited:
I think it's going to be waking up, driving to a spot with a sidewalk, and getting it done. I do have access to a treadmill if super desperate, but I'd rather not. Any tips/ wisdom??
Sleep in your running clothes. Yep, it's weird, but it makes it more work NOT to run than run. Along those same lines, prep coffee, water, shoes, socks, breakfast, vehicle, whatever it is you need to get out the door.
And watch this everyday:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter