The Running Thread - 2021

Do you follow the Galloway method? Have heard good things. When looking at plans the “Hal” plan just worked better for my schedule at this time…. But l wouldn’t be opposed to the Galloway if l ever try a marathon and have longer to train.
I use Galloway for marathons only, too. Run 3:30, walk 30. I started incorporating walk intervals into my distance running at around age 45. The walk intervals have helped me avoid injuries and it speeds up my recovery.

A worthy goal. I have heard good things about the Hal Higdon plans.

For another viewpoint, many of us on the dis boards are interval runners, alternating between running and walking. I'm a middle of the pack runner, and my best times are when I use a walk/run schedule. For example, my last HM, a PR, was about 2:20 and I kept a fairly consistant 2 minute run / 30 second walk interval. No shame in walking as part of an overall strategy.
I will second that. I just did a 5 mile run this week and deliberately inserted walk breaks of about 50 steps every mile to mile and a half to simulate going through the water stations. I wound up with a pace of 11:28. Similarly, my best time in a half was also about 2:20 and it was done with the walk breaks. The strategy is that you are still running faster at the end than if you never took the walk brakes and that more than makes up for the little bit of time lost due to the walking. I am sold on it

Do you follow the Galloway method? Have heard good things. When looking at plans the “Hal” plan just worked better for my schedule at this time…. But l wouldn’t be opposed to the Galloway if l ever try a marathon and have longer to train.
I have had success following custom plans by @DopeyBadger who develops plans for continous and interval runners. Although I like the Galloway concept, I do better with running a few more miles during the week and not just a very long run each weekend.

For example for a peak half marathon training week, instead of a Galloway Monday 30 minutes, Wednesday 30 minutes and Saturday 14 miles, I would run something like Monday 4 miles, Wednesday 6 miles, Friday 6 miles, and Saturday 8 miles. The concept is called cummulative fatigue, where my Saturday run is on still tired legs.

Perhaps Billy can link some of the thoughts he has previousely posted.

Last edited:
I have had success following custom plans by @DopeyBadger who developes plans for continous and interval runners. Although I like the Galloway concept, I do better with running a few more miles during the week and not just a very long run each weekend.

For example for a peak half marathon training week, instead of a Galloway Monday 30 minutes, Wednesday 30 minutes and Saturday 14 miles, I would run something like Monday 4 miles, Wednesday 6 miles, Friday 6 miles, and Saturday 8 miles. The concept is called cummulative fatigue, where my Saturday run is on still tired legs.

Yes, same here. Ran 10 on Friday, 5 yesterday and 18 today. My legs are toast. I will never understand the Galloway training plan. The walk/run works, but the rest would never work for me.

I have had success following custom plans by @DopeyBadger who developes plans for continous and interval runners. Although I like the Galloway concept, I do better with running a few more miles during the week and not just a very long run each weekend.

the cumulative fatigue sounds more like the Hal higdon plan I’m following. 4 Friday, 4 Saturday, 7 today and 4 tomorrow with easier, shorter runs and cross training during the week. The schedule worked way better for me than Galloway as well.?

Thanks! Just read a couple of the posts. I really liked the train slow to run fast one.

Many can attest to it being a solid strategy. Most everyone trains too fast intuitively. From the research I've read, people tend to gravitate towards somewhere around Lactate Threshold to Half Marathon pace as "easy" in training. But finding you can slow down even more, find running to be more enjoyable overall, and over years of consistent effort find yourself faster in the end. It's a win-win all around. Lots of solid science around the concept.

Many can attest to it being a solid strategy. Most everyone trains too fast intuitively. From the research I've read, people tend to gravitate towards somewhere around Lactate Threshold to Half Marathon pace as "easy" in training. But finding you can slow down even more, find running to be more enjoyable overall, and over years of consistent effort find yourself faster in the end. It's a win-win all around. Lots of solid science around the concept.

This holds true for cycling and tri training too. Joe Friel, one of the world's experts on the science and art of training, has written numerous books and articles on the subject of training load and will tell you 80% of your training should be done at low intensity (typically zone 2) and only 20% at high intensity.

I introduced myself on a journal thread. Running the Akron 1/2 marathon on 9/25 and today is my first long run…. 7 miles. Goal to run entire time and not walk. Did 4 Friday and 4 yesterday. Doing the Hal Higdon plan.

Akron is a great race. I've done it a few times and it is one of my favorites. I used Hal Higdon plans for all 4 of the full marathons I've runs so far. I'm moving to Hanson's for the MW 2022 full because I feel like Hal's plans aren't having me do enough mileage and I'm leaving a lot of time on the table but Hal's plans have gotten me to 4 finish lines with a PR of 3:16:something.

Akron is a great race. I've done it a few times and it is one of my favorites. I used Hal Higdon plans for all 4 of the full marathons I've runs so far. I'm moving to Hanson's for the MW 2022 full because I feel like Hal's plans aren't having me do enough mileage and I'm leaving a lot of time on the table but Hal's plans have gotten me to 4 finish lines with a PR of 3:16:something.

l work at one of the runs partner hospitals and have always wanted to do the run. Glad to hear you like the race.

l work at one of the runs partner hospitals and have always wanted to do the run. Glad to hear you like the race.

The last few years have seen a lot of course changes to deal with some construction in downtown Akron. Your normally finish on the field at Canal Park Stadium but it appears you don't this year. I'm not sure if that is allow for more distancing because of COVID or because of the construction that is going on behind the right field stands (that is where you enter for the finish). We were down there for a game last month and it is all torn up back there.

Last edited:
It is amazing how much even light rain helps cool me down on hot, humid days. Just a light drizzle, but that combined with the clouds made this morning's run feel refreshing after the tough running conditions that I have been dealing with lately.

That's an amazing PR! I'm using Hal's plan for the 2022 marathon as well as a modified version for a HM in order to try to get a POT under 2:00:00. I doubt that it's going to happen, but the plan is solid.

I know we have a lot of PA folks on here... anybody running Broad Street in Philly in October? I very impulsively entered the lottery, thinking there was no way I'd get in, given that everybody who deferred from last year would take up all the spaces. But I got in! I'm running as many big races as I can this fall, because it seems you never know when things will be snatched away again.

I know we have a lot of PA folks on here... anybody running Broad Street in Philly in October? I very impulsively entered the lottery, thinking there was no way I'd get in, given that everybody who deferred from last year would take up all the spaces. But I got in! I'm running as many big races as I can this fall, because it seems you never know when things will be snatched away again.
I’m on other side of PA. Good luck!!!

:wave2: I'll see you there.

This should be my 3rd time running in person (last year ended up being virtual, so 4 times total.) It's a big race, but fantastic for a good POT.

Driving from PA to MD today on I-70, I saw a car with the license plate "DVCFAM5". One of you folks? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter