The Running Thread - 2020

Professor_Cookie

DIS Veteran
Strava for me gets super wonky in the mountains. My guess is losing the gps signal in woody drainages. I have also used it from just the app and had it add close to 1/2 of a mile in a 3 mile run. That’s part of the reason why you never see me run a whole number on Strava.

My Starva recently has been terrible. I have no idea what is going on. My runs either come up way short or one run came in with a pace that was very unrealistic. I would also like to know if others are having this problem and what they did to fix it. I also know that my routes are not short as I have been running the same loops for years.
Can you download the Strava app and track the run using that rather than just the Apple activities app? That should upload reliably. Maybe give it a couple of test runs.

This has been my experience using Garmin, as well. 0.01 mile reduction when uploading, regardless of run distance.

Dopey 2020

Mission accomplished, 48.6 magical miles
It’s done! NYC virtual was something I wasn’t ready for this weekend but challenge accepted, 4:47:38. Not sure that I would want to do another virtual down the road (though I am doing Disney in two months, but after that...). Without a crowd it’s a lot of miles, but any time I finish a race it’s a good day.

• rteetz

Rumors and News Moderator
    It’s done! NYC virtual was something I wasn’t ready for this weekend but challenge accepted, 4:47:38. Not sure that I would want to do another virtual down the road (though I am doing Disney in two months, but after that...). Without a crowd it’s a lot of miles, but any time I finish a race it’s a good day.
    Nice job! Doing mine next weekend.

camaker

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
    Nice job! Doing mine next weekend.
    Next weekend for me, as well.

Kerry1957

Will run for Hefeweizen
    Who else is going to hook their iPad up to their TV to watch the suffering? I figure I’ll start tuning in on Monday to see how many people are left.

I've been watching this on and off all day, and for some strange reason, I find it really captivating. And although I've finished 3 marathons in the past two years I have absolutely no thoughts/dreams of ever going farther (further?). Thanks for posting the link!

kimbert

Mouseketeer
    Just popping in to mention that I completed my virtual marathon yesterday, and have some thoughts.

This was only my second marathon. Last fall I completed my very first, and decided I thought it would be a good idea to train for a Spring Half, and a Fall Full every year. And to do this for at least 10 years total, so I could complete 1 full in every Canadian province (I live in Nova Scotia). Well, thankfully I went out of province for last year, because even having to do my virtual one at home this year, I still knock off a second province!

-We kept our training schedule the same as if it was a live race, but I know we both (I train with 1 long-distance run buddy) used the fact of it being "only" virtual to skip a workout or 2 along the way.

-PRO: We got to design our own course - we used routes we ran often in training, but just combined them in different ways to get the full 42.2k... CON: we never ran this one stretch on tired legs... it wound up being our 35-40k stretch and lemmie tell you... it felt like hell.

-We had 4 pre-planned water stations with family/friends in parking lots with cold water, tissues, extra nutrition, popsicles etc. It bolstered us to realize we had people in our lives willing to sit in a parking lot for ~30mins just waiting!

-We are back of the pack runners, (5:25 finish last year) and we managed this one in 6:01 ("running" time, not total elapsed because we had to pause for stop lights, bathroom breaks, our aid stations etc.) but I'm still very proud of that.

-We had a bluetooth speaker tucked into my water backpack and we blasted the Hamilton soundtrack + 90s hits. Highly recommend, just being mindful of the swears if your route includes some of a local trail =)

-We had gorgeous fall weather here with leaves changing and a lovely day which was slightly cool to begin, and nice and mildly warm by the end. Sunny, but not blistering hot, breezy but not wildly windy. Honestly, we probably couldn't have ordered us up better weather.

-A virtual marathon is hard in a different way than a race. I wound up running my first marathon 99% solo (small event + back-of-the-packer meant I ran "with" no one and saw no spectators until 35km), and I got to run with a buddy this time, but it was still very hard after 30km. Especially when you're running together, but each has issues at different times. Sometimes I needed a break and she didn't, sometimes she asked to slow when I was happy to power through. But I was glad we stuck together.

Hoping I never have to do that again, but learned some valuable tips for the next one if it stays necessary.

• shellott-hill

A Dopey wanna' be
    Just popping in to mention that I completed my virtual marathon yesterday, and have some thoughts.

This was only my second marathon. Last fall I completed my very first, and decided I thought it would be a good idea to train for a Spring Half, and a Fall Full every year. And to do this for at least 10 years total, so I could complete 1 full in every Canadian province (I live in Nova Scotia). Well, thankfully I went out of province for last year, because even having to do my virtual one at home this year, I still knock off a second province!
    Congratulations from a fellow Canuck. A monumental feat in the record books for a Bluenoser! I am in awe of your fortitude to run on when the world is throwing barriers at you left and right. I love the idea in running in every province...I may borrow your idea and put that on my bucket list.

Your soundtrack sounds amazing...it would have been perfect if you put Gordon Lightfoot on repeat for a couple of miles..."The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". :P

GreatLakes

DIS Veteran
    I've been watching this on and off all day, and for some strange reason, I find it really captivating. And although I've finished 3 marathons in the past two years I have absolutely no thoughts/dreams of ever going farther (further?). Thanks for posting the link!
    We have a winner.

Looks like Courtney Dauwalter won finishing 68 loops.

• Kerry1957

Will run for Hefeweizen
    We have a winner.
    Courtney Dauwalter is the American champion finishing 68 yards (a yard = 4.1667 mile loop) the overall winner is Karel Sabbe from Belgium. He completed 75 yards which is just over 500 kilometers or 312 miles. The runners had to complete 1 yard per hour. The odd distance works out to 100 miles per 24 hours. Karel ran for over 3 days straight!

GreatLakes

DIS Veteran
    Courtney Dauwalter is the American champion finishing 68 yards (a yard = 4.1667 mile loop) the overall winner is Karel Sabbe from Belgium. He completed 75 yards which is just over 500 kilometers or 312 miles. The runners had to complete 1 yard per hour. The odd distance works out to 100 miles per 24 hours. Karel ran for over 3 days straight!
    I forgot there were also races not in TN. I was just paying attention to the onsite participants.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.