The Running Thread - 2019

Not a fun question, but a question for the group. I always have a hard idea thinking of gift ideas (for me) for my FIL. He won't try to think of anything on his own, so if he doesn't get an idea, then he gives money, which he finds disappointing on Christmas morning.

So, I am planning to do the WDW Marathon in 2021, and I was thinking that a gift card for the registration fee would be a good idea. I know that for 2020, the fee was $190. The questions are: (1) is that likely to go up and by how much? (2) are there other fees (i.e., processing fee) that I'll have to pay when I register, and how much will those be? From what I have read, I can't pay with a gift card unless it covers the whole amount, so I want to be careful about that. I be thankful for any knowledgeable advice.

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of the initial gift card covering the whole amount. If it ends up being short, you can purchase an additional gift card and combine the values onto one card, so you have enough to cover it all.

ATTQOTD: I am doing an 8k turkey trot that morning with my SIL. The main reason for seeking out a race on Thanksgiving has always been to get a bit of a break from my mother in law who can be a tough hang and my husband is cool with it. Plus I love the idea of getting a run in to justify all the food I will consume that day!

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of the initial gift card covering the whole amount. If it ends up being short, you can purchase an additional gift card and combine the values onto one card, so you have enough to cover it all.

Ah, good idea. I hadn't thought about that strategy. Thanks!

Happy Thursday everyone. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is one week away here in the States.
Time for family, food, football, and............Turkey Trots?

Do you have a running event scheduled for Thanksgiving? Do you do it with friends and family? How about for the rest of the Holiday season....are there any fun running events that you like to do or hope to do one day?

The Turkey Trot near my in-laws' has become a family race for us. It started out where it was just me, and then my daughter joined me, and then younger son joined in, and now my wife is doing it too. The only member of the immediate family who doesn't run it is my older son, who is on the wrong coast for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of which, now that we're signed up, for @LSUlakes :

Nov 28: Fountain Hills Turkey Trot 5k (NG/NA)

ATTQOTD: Normal training day for me, but Thanksgiving conveniently fell on a good day to have off work. I've got 135 min of interval tempo cycling in the morning, and then a super tough 60 minute run that evening with 40 min continuous at LT to HM Tempo. If it weren't for Thanksgiving, then I would probably had to have gotten up at 2:55am to get the cycling workout done before work like I had to do last week. :faint:

Do you have a running event scheduled for Thanksgiving? Do you do it with friends and family? How about for the rest of the Holiday season....are there any fun running events that you like to do or hope to do one day?
I'm considering a virtual turkey trot that the Giant Race puts on. I haven't actually registered for it yet though. It's a 5K. My tentative plan is to simply adjust my schedule next week and move the Thursday run to Wednesday for convenience sake, but that's far from decided yet.
I was looking at maybe signing up for a Virtual Turkey Trot so we can get a medal too.
I know you're a Cardinals fan, but if you want a medal of the Giants mascot dressed as a pilgrim with turkey feathers behind it, here's the link so you get a medal.

https://raceroster.com/events/2019/25213/2019-giant-race-turkey-trot

ATTQOTD:
In Canada, Thanksgiving is mid-October so it falls in the main racing season. I have never seen anything like a Turkey Trot around here. The themed races around that period are mostly Halloween related (Candies or Zombies). Usually, for Thanksgiving weekend (we get Monday off in Canada), we go to a family cottage where hopefully someone cooks a turkey. We hike in the mountain and run while admiring the Fall colors.

By curiosity and to answer this question, I looked at what races are available in December in the region. There is one Santa Shuffle (fundraiser) at the beginning of the Month and one Resolution Run on the 30th. I will be too busy training for Dopey to consider any of them.

I would like to run and get a Turkey or Hot Chocolate medal one of these years, so keep bragging about those, it might push me to organize a trip!

ATTQOTD: I love a holiday race! DH and I are doing a Silver Bells 5k this weekend. Turkey Trot is next week - all four of us do it together and the 9 yo has a turkey had she loves to wear. We also do a 5k on Christmas Eve that has cookies and starbucks at the end, the kids love that one. I love the swag - instead of shirts we've gotten ornaments, hats and socks various years.

Great responses so far Holiday runs......personal question for @camaker and @avondale.
We are going to be at Kennedy Space Center at the end of the year, first time visitors!
Let me know if there are any "can't miss" sights at KSC

While you’re in town, check out the Village Idiot in Cocoa. Well worth the short drive down from the space center. Depending on when you’re there, I’m happy to meet you for a beer.

http://villageidiot.pub/

I've done the same Turkey Trot the last ~5 years. It's pretty small and low key. They have a 5k and a "10K"... but the 10k is just doing the 5k twice and the start/finish is probably 150 meters apart so it's a bit long since you have the extra to get back to the start.. No one cares and it's barely timed. My wife has done it the last couple years too. This year we are doing a much larger Turkey Trot that the YMCA puts on. It looks like there's already about 2,000 people registered. We know several friends doing this event. I'm looking forward to the new course and we'll definitely see more people we know there.

Earning my turkey at the Atlanta Thanksgiving Day half marathon to complete the Triple Peach Challenge. Hoping it doesn’t rain. Then home for a 2:00 Thanksgiving feast.
I am thankful for many things in my life. This running community is one of those things! Thanks for all the kindness, encouragement, advice, and fun.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: DH agreed to do a Turkey Trot, benefitting St Jude Children’s Hospital, with me this year. We have always traveled to one family or another in the past but with the job relocation we are now 3.5 hours from the closest family and DH has to work Friday.

We are also participating in the Frozen 12k of of Christmas in December which benefits the Southern Illinois Honor Flight. That course should be pretty as it is in the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge.

Anyone else starting to see local race registrations broken into Runner (if you plan to do any running) or Walking categories? Or is it just a quirk of the timing company that does the races here? Both of the races mentioned above did that. Not an issue for me right now since I am still walking as rehab continues but will eventually have to figure out what category a 15 minute mile falls in since I am determined to get back to that pace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter