The Running Thread - 2019

So if you need one of these, PM me:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G99H2BQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have 8 more than I need. No postage/payment required.
So fun note... I ran the Garmin Marathon earlier this year. I asked one of their people after the race if they had any of those available, because mine was about to break off. They didn’t have any outside, but one of the guys went inside and after a while came back and gave me a whole new watch band for free!!! You know how much their watch bands normally cost?? I was pleasantly surprised and happy. 😁

Thanks John for the tip and invite. We are coming via cruise ship and tour bus so I will have to see if they allow us any time to "roam."

Ok. We get back to our house in FL on the 27th. Not sure if that’s when you’re there or not.

Because I am making my husband pair each movie with a beer/wine. Haha. IDK. Jar Jar was a lot to take it for the first movie.

Jar Jar was a lot to take in during a hour-long podcast too. ;)

It’ll be interesting to see your movie rankings when you’re all done. Mine go like this right now: 5,R1,8,4,6,7,3,Solo,1,2

Is this placement based on ranking the movies in order of favorite or ranking the movies in viewing order?

If anyone cares, here is my current ranking order by favorite.

1. The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V)
2. Star Wars (Episode IV)
3. Return of the Jedi (Episode VI)
4. The Force Awakens (Episode VII)
5. The Last Jedi (Episode VIII)
6. Rogue One (standalone)
7. Solo (standalone)
8. Revenge of the Sith (Episode III)
9. The Phantom Menace (Episode I)
10. Attack of the Clones (Episode II)

Their ranking in order of favorite. Mallory had The Last Jedi 1 and Jason had it near the top as well. Unfortunately, I knew at that point that listening to the rest of the Star Wars series would leave me far more irrationally angry than something I'm listening to for enjoyment should. :D

Evidently, my watch band breaking gave me a watch-related running nightmare.

I dream that I'm running a half marathon (which I'm doing in about 3 weeks).

I finish in 2:41 or 141 minutes (not clear which, runner math is as confusing in dreams as it is real life) and am disappointed in the time.

I save the run and it shows that I've run 17 miles, instead of 13.1.

So fun note... I ran the Garmin Marathon earlier this year. I asked one of their people after the race if they had any of those available, because mine was about to break off. They didn’t have any outside, but one of the guys went inside and after a while came back and gave me a whole new watch band for free!!! You know how much their watch bands normally cost?? I was pleasantly surprised and happy. 😁

I love Garmin. My 235 started draining its battery in less than 24 hours earlier this year after a system update. I tried all the hacks online to get it to stop, but nothing worked. (I think the HR was on all the time). I gave Garmin a try and they sent me a refurbished watch for free. For free! My watch is 5 years old and way out of the warranty period.

I love Garmin. My 235 started draining its battery in less than 24 hours earlier this year after a system update. I tried all the hacks online to get it to stop, but nothing worked. (I think the HR was on all the time). I gave Garmin a try and they sent me a refurbished watch for free. For free! My watch is 5 years old and way out of the warranty period.

Garmin's software and devices can often be subpar, while their customer service is usually excellent. They replaced my 945 because it had the dreaded “squishy” buttons without question. Even overnighted it to me to allow me to get it while on a recent business trip in the US.

Anybody here ever had a posterior tibialis tendon injury? Did you get a brace or tape it up or anything? My doctor told me not to get a brace or tape it, and just wait for it to heal, but I feel like my foot is pointing out to the side more than usual and I'm wondering if a brace might just stabilize the ankle and make it heal quicker. I have a strong suspicion the doc told me not to get a brace because she thought I'd just slap it on and start running again when she told me to take time off, and not because it can't be at least a little helpful.

Jar Jar was a lot to take in during a hour-long podcast too. ;)

It’ll be interesting to see your movie rankings when you’re all done.
I’m kind of excited for that deep dive. Lololol.

I was telling Brad this too. I am curious to see how I will rank them when I am done as well. Or see if I get why other viewing orders are different/better.

I’m kind of excited for that deep dive. Lololol.

I was telling Brad this too. I am curious to see how I will rank them when I am done as well. Or see if I get why other viewing orders are different/better.

Ooh could you do a mini movie report for us after each one? Also interested in the beverage choice for each!

Turkey day run: My running club kinda hosts a run on Thanksgiving morning called Yam Jam, this will be the 7th year. They had to move it to a new location a couple of years back after the neighborhood complained about the dehydration station that we setup at mile 4 of the 5 mile loop. Now we have it out of a park and the loop can be anywhere from 3 to 5.5 miles and a number of runners will run twice. The drink station is now in the park for post run festivities!

Happy Thanksgiving week to everyone. Hope it's a great one.

Got another question that I could use some help with:
How long do you typically wait to fly after running? I've got a marathon coming up that I should complete by 11:30 AM. Giving serious consideration to catching a 4:00 pm flight from Arizona back to Virginia later that day. Any health or safety issues with this plan?

How long do you typically wait to fly after running? I've got a marathon coming up that I should complete by 11:30 AM. Giving serious consideration to catching a 4:00 pm flight from Arizona back to Virginia later that day. Any health or safety issues with this plan?

I’d be sure to walk around as much as you can after the race and wear a good pair of compression tights during the flight to help with circulation & to prevent stiffness.

ATTQOTD: I agree with someone else who said to walk around a lot before the flight (i.e., in the airport) and wear compression socks/sleeves on the flight. Actually, I wear the compression when flying even if I haven't just run. Also, personally, my hamstrings/glutes are always extra sore after hard runs or races, so I consider what I might do to make the airplane seats more tolerable. Plus, plan for hydration on the plane.

All that said, I've done things like a 16-miler training run in the early morning and a flight around noon. Not the most pleasant thing, but I survived it.

I want to watch the holiday special so bad.
Just remember that the Holiday Special is not as bad as you have heard. Oh no. It's much, much, much worse than anyone has told you.
Their ranking in order of favorite. Mallory had The Last Jedi 1 and Jason had it near the top as well. Unfortunately, I knew at that point that listening to the rest of the Star Wars series would leave me far more irrationally angry than something I'm listening to for enjoyment should. :D
Okay. I've never listened to Binge Mode, but I can understand your thought process. When I hear takes that I wildly disagree with, it does become difficult to continue to take something entertaining that seriously. As much as I personally love The Last Jedi, I can see why many dislike it.
Or see if I get why other viewing orders are different/better.
In Star Wars, viewing order is only even a debate because the movies were made out of order. So us geeks/nerds/whatever like to argue over the correct order. Honestly, I've changed my opinion about the correct order over the years.

In Star Wars, viewing order is only even a debate because the movies were made out of order. So us geeks/nerds/whatever like to argue over the correct order. Honestly, I've changed my opinion about the correct order over the years.

Hubby and I were debating what order to watch the marvel movies (we've only seen a handful) and we've decided on going in order of cinematic release instead of timeline. Our reasoning was that all the fun "nods" to the other movies in the prequels would be missed by us. And that the intention of the people making the movies would be lost. Like any "A-HA" moments about origin stories wouldn't be as powerful. Also we like time jumping more than just one steady "and this happened, and then this happened" storytelling.
But it was a debate.

Hubby and I were debating what order to watch the marvel movies (we've only seen a handful) and we've decided on going in order of cinematic release instead of timeline. Our reasoning was that all the fun "nods" to the other movies in the prequels would be missed by us. And that the intention of the people making the movies would be lost. Like any "A-HA" moments about origin stories wouldn't be as powerful. Also we like time jumping more than just one steady "and this happened, and then this happened" storytelling.
But it was a debate.
My husband said that I also need to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy movies because I love the ride so much. No thanks. Just give me the riiiiide.

My husband said that I also need to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy movies because I love the ride so much. No thanks. Just give me the riiiiide.

You should watch them because they’re fun, particularly the first one. Still my favorite from the MCU outside of Thor: Ragnarok. No harm done if you don’t, but if you’re trying to avoid the MCU rabbit hole you they’re easily enjoyable without context.

@jennamfeo if you do watch Guardians of the Galaxy and are not a big super hero kind of person (i do enjoy some but some are just too much for me), unfortunately you may need to watch it twice. I am not a Super Hero person, i watched a few of the Marvel avenger movies. i do like some of that stuff but some of it is so confusing because i don't know all the back stories. I watched Guardians the first time and was basically confused. i was paying so much attention i missed all the jokes. I did enjoy the music. Because it was a rental for 2 days and i had time the next day not doing anything, we put the movie on again. My hubby enjoyed it the first time. So I watched again and figured i would not pay attention to it. Since i knew the story now i thought the movie was awesome second time around and was sucked in.

TL;DR I struggled with it the first time and watched it a second time and thought it was awesome. Not saying you should watch it twice but yeah you might not like it when you first see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter