The Running Thread - 2019

This week we have the following folks with races:

14 - @KevM - Pi Day 5K Philadelphia (31.41 / N/A)
16 - @Nole95 - Run to the Pub Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
16 - KevM - Conshy Classic 5K (NG/ N/A)
16 - @tigger536 - Yuengling Shamrock 8K (NG / N/A)
16 - @CDKG - St. Paddy’s Day Half (2:31:12 / N/A)
16 - @ZellyB - Shamrox 15K (NG / N/A)
16 - @Chris-Mo - Shamrox 15K (NG / N/A)
17 - tigger536 - Yuengling Shamrock Marathon (NG / N/A)
17 - @KSellers88 - Asheville Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
17 - @avondale - Virginia Beach Marathon (4:35:00 / N/A)
17 - @BikeFan - Shamrock Marathon (3:24:59 / N/A)
17 - @Bree - Excalibur 10 Miler (1:34:59 / N/A)
17 - @camaker - Badwater Cape Fear 51.4m/50k (Finish 51.4m/Finish 50k)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you have a revised goal, let me know and I will adjust ASAP. I look forward to hearing about how your race went!

I’m not running any longer. Stupid broken hip.

Update on our pup:

This morning was a bad morning for her. It is obvious to us that it is her time. Tonight the dog eats steak, she had french fries on our way back from the vet and hung her little puppy head out the window as happy as can be. Going for best day ever! type of deal for her. I just hope I can keep it together for the kids this afternoon.

Spoiling, loving and cuddles are the way to go for all of you. Surrounding her with love makes for good last day memories.

Crying is okay too. And not just tonight and tomorrow but in the days to come as you deal with ‘firsts’ and ‘lasts’. Hugs to all of you both tonight and tomorrow.

Update on our pup:

This morning was a bad morning for her. It is obvious to us that it is her time. Tonight the dog eats steak, she had french fries on our way back from the vet and hung her little puppy head out the window as happy as can be. Going for best day ever! type of deal for her. I just hope I can keep it together for the kids this afternoon.

I am so so sorry. You're absolutely right. You just know. I think it is beautiful that you are creating wonderful memories with her today.

ATTQOTD: My worst race condition was the Peachtree Road Race 10K on July 4th a few years ago. 60,000 runners, 20+ corrals and I was somewhere around G-H. A huge thunderstorm came up and the race director evacuated the finish line at Piedmont Park (DH texted me he was waiting for me in The Tavern); they evacuated the start line into Lennox Square Mall and Phipps Plaza ( DS and DIL went there); and I was somewhere in the middle of the course. I shouted to a volunteer, “What am I supposed to do?” His answer, “Run faster!” I was terrified, I ran faster, and the lightning let up just as I finished.

@Waiting2goback sorry about your grandmother. I know she lived a long life, but the stress in the family is still real. Glad you are running again, but don’t overdo it. Build back slowly with plenty of rest days!

Trying to catch up...again! Lol

No inserts for me. Thankfully I haven’t experienced any PF yet or other foot trouble. Ghosts in wide are my go to shoe right now. I’m trying to love the current model, hoping the next ones are more like the ones before these current ones. I can’t seem to keep all the numbers straight! o_O

Ultras are something I can’t wrap my mind around. I’ve only been running about a year and a half, so most things are new to me. Kudos to those who have accomplished that goal, or even who have set that as a goal for themselves!

I haven’t run in anything close to as extreme as what others have described here. My proudest running moment was completing the Too Cold too Hold 10K in Dallas this February in damp low 30’s with a feels like temp of 28 degrees. For me, a large part of the weather struggle is being appropriately dressed. I once heard that there’s no bad weather, just bad preparation for the weather. Except of course the lightning! That’s nothing to play around with!!

@LSUlakes sorry for the hard decisions you have facing you with Dixie.

@Waiting2goback hugs for your loss.

@Waiting2goback Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

@LSUlakes @Waiting2goback I'm sorry for what you're going through.

My most extreme weather was the run in -14*F last month. That was the first time I got out and ran while it was truly cold, and the first time I got out and ran when there was snow on the ground. They plow the trail at the park and along the river, but there was just enough powder on it that morning that on my second lap around the park I was struck by the fact that my footprints were the only footprints apart from one dog walker--no one else was out, when normally I see half a dozen runners if I'm out there that long.

@Waiting2goback sorry to hear about your grandmother

@Professor_Cookie trail running anywhere other than Florida looks like a blast. Trails around my house are a joke.

@Waiting2goback I'm sorry for your loss.

@Waiting2goback, sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I missed your post, but saw DB's group hug so went back to look.

Glad to hear the run helped.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate it.

St. Paddy’s Day Run Tacoma - Race Recap

This morning I ran the St. Paddy’s Day half marathon in Tacoma. Last year I ran the 10k and my last (and only) time running the half was back in 2015. Not knowing what my training would look like two months post marathon, I had a very conservative goal, a course PR (<2:31:12).

The course begins and ends in downtown Tacoma, runs along the waterfront, loops through a quaint city called Ruston, and then its back along the waterfront and up to downtown. The waterfront portion is primarily flat while there are some hills at both the start/finish and in Ruston. Total elevation gain was 334 feet.

I recently picked up a pair of Trekz Air for $90 and decided to try them out. I mean...it was a half marathon with no character stops, no CM’s cheering us on, no theme parks, no high school bands and no DJ’s. I hadn’t run with music in years, but thought it might help. I listened to my old Tinker Bell Half playlist which includes The White Stripes (Meg :lovestruc), Muse and the Doors. It was fantastic!

The weather was good, 43 degrees and overcast at the start. It warmed up a bit and and the sun peeked out some, but it remained comfortably cool. I ran by feel and never checked my pace. I walked a few steep hills, I wasn’t going for a distance PR, so why kill myself? Fatigue didn’t set in until just before mile 11. Uphill finishes really should be outlawed! I started walking up the last short/steep hill to the finish line when a guy who had been walk/running those last hills with me passed and motioned for me to follow. “Come on, we’re almost there!” So, I did. While I didn’t quite get the burst of energy he did, I continued to run until I passed the finish line at 2:22:12, just 5 seconds behind my half marathon PR!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

3/16 - CDKG - St. Paddy’s Day Half (2:31:12 / 2:22:12)

908C9344-FD94-4D40-B69C-0D7C4D8DA1BC.jpeg
St. Paddy’s Day Run Tacoma - Race Recap

This morning I ran the St. Paddy’s Day half marathon in Tacoma. Last year I ran the 10k and my last (and only) time running the half was back in 2015. Not knowing what my training would look like two months post marathon, I had a very conservative goal, a course PR (<2:31:12).

The course begins and ends in downtown Tacoma, runs along the waterfront, loops through a quaint city called Ruston, and then its back along the waterfront and up to downtown. The waterfront portion is primarily flat while there are some hills at both the start/finish and in Ruston. Total elevation gain was 334 feet.

I recently picked up a pair of Trekz Air for $90 and decided to try them out. I mean...it was a half marathon with no character stops, no CM’s cheering us on, no theme parks, no high school bands and no DJ’s. I hadn’t run with music in years, but thought it might help. I listened to my old Tinker Bell Half playlist which includes The White Stripes (Meg :lovestruc), Muse and the Doors. It was fantastic!

The weather was good, 43 degrees and overcast at the start. It warmed up a bit and and the sun peeked out some, but it remained comfortably cool. I ran by feel and never checked my pace. I walked a few steep hills, I wasn’t going for a distance PR, so why kill myself? Fatigue didn’t set in until just before mile 11. Uphill finishes really should be outlawed! I started walking up the last short/steep hill to the finish line when a guy who had been walk/running those last hills with me passed and motioned for me to follow. “Come on, we’re almost there!” So, I did. While I didn’t quite get the burst of energy he did, I continued to run until I passed the finish line at 2:22:12, just 5 seconds behind my half marathon PR!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

3/16 - CDKG - St. Paddy’s Day Half (2:31:12 / 2:22:12)
Any good long verty trail runs near Tacoma? I’m looking at Tiger Mountain when I visit home next month, but kinda don’t want to do the drive.

I’ve been thinking about the ultra run boom question, and I think, all joking aside, I love being on trails, don’t have a bunch of time to snowboard(parking, riding chairs), have always wanted to do tris but don’t want to spend the money on gear, and the idea of getting an *** kicking long race under my belt is calling my name....plus memes.

View attachment 388654
Any good long verty trail runs near Tacoma? I’m looking at Tiger Mountain when I visit home next month, but kinda don’t want to do the drive.
Obviously, the best options for you are going to be a bit of a drive. Of course Point Defiance has miles of trails as does Dash Point State Park. I’m not sure where you will be staying, but those two are only 18 miles apart.

Bozeman Run to the Pub Half Recap

We have some friends who moved to Bozeman last year, and they invited us out to run this race. The half has about 1000 people and they have a 10K with close to 3,000. Due to some nagging things I definitely did not train for this race the way I wanted to, so it turned into a full fun run way before this weekend.

We made an extra long weekend out of it and arrived on Wednesday. We did some hiking on Thursday and then took an amazing snowmobile trip through Yellowstone yesterday. There’s nothing quite like being in that park when there’s not thousands of people around.

So we definitely did not take it easy before the race. There have been some cold temps in Bozeman lately, but this morning was perfect with temps in the mid-20s for a 9:45 start. Other than a few miles, the roads were pretty clear. When they weren’t, we were running on snow.

This is a very well organized race. They bus you out to a starting area and you go from there. First few miles are a gradual upgrade, but the next 7 are pretty much downhill. You then finish the last 5K with some rolling ups and downs. Beautiful scenery all along the course. I didn’t have a good day finishing in 2:39. Way off my best pace, but to be expected with lack of training.

The after party is the best with everyone getting a free beer for finishing. Big party in downtown Bozeman with streets closed off. Lots of runners, including my wife and I, dressed in great St Patrick’s costumes. Bozeman is a great little town. We’ll be back in August for our summer vacation to Glacier National Park.

Obviously, the best options for you are going to be a bit of a drive. Of course Point Defiance has miles of trails as does Dash Point State Park. I’m not sure where you will be staying, but those two are only 18 miles apart.
Puyallup, so close enough

Bozeman Run to the Pub Half Recap

We have some friends who moved to Bozeman last year, and they invited us out to run this race. The half has about 1000 people and they have a 10K with close to 3,000. Due to some nagging things I definitely did not train for this race the way I wanted to, so it turned into a full fun run way before this weekend.

We made an extra long weekend out of it and arrived on Wednesday. We did some hiking on Thursday and then took an amazing snowmobile trip through Yellowstone yesterday. There’s nothing quite like being in that park when there’s not thousands of people around.

So we definitely did not take it easy before the race. There have been some cold temps in Bozeman lately, but this morning was perfect with temps in the mid-20s for a 9:45 start. Other than a few miles, the roads were pretty clear. When they weren’t, we were running on snow.

This is a very well organized race. They bus you out to a starting area and you go from there. First few miles are a gradual upgrade, but the next 7 are pretty much downhill. You then finish the last 5K with some rolling ups and downs. Beautiful scenery all along the course. I didn’t have a good day finishing in 2:39. Way off my best pace, but to be expected with lack of training.

The after party is the best with everyone getting a free beer for finishing. Big party in downtown Bozeman with streets closed off. Lots of runners, including my wife and I, dressed in great St Patrick’s costumes. Bozeman is a great little town. We’ll be back in August for our summer vacation to Glacier National Park.
I lived one winter in Yellowstone. Awesome!
My sister and I hiked the Highline Trail over Swiftcurrent Pass to Many Glacier in Glacier last summer. Definitely recommend either of those trails or the through hike if you can work out transportation. Beautiful!

I lived one winter in Yellowstone. Awesome!
My sister and I hiked the Highline Trail over Swiftcurrent Pass to Many Glacier in Glacier last summer. Definitely recommend either of those trails or the through hike if you can work out transportation. Beautiful!

Hey, my DH and I were in Glacier last summer, too! Totally agree that the hiking is gorgeous. In regards to "working out transportation", for the OP - if you haven't been to Glacier before, beware that the traffic on park roads is absolutely atrocious in the high season. (Unfortunately with my work, that's the only possible time for us.) That was the only downside. You can hardly go wrong with any of the trails.

Atlanta Peachtree Road Race registration is now open until March 31, for both guaranteed entries and the lottery. Want to be a part of the world's largest 10k? Then this is the race, for you. Of course, if you submit POT, you can actually race it. If you want to be among the partying people, you can be in a back wave. AND you don't have to be there until after the sun comes up! Celebrate July 4th with about 60,000 of your running buddies! Today DH signed us up again for the Triple Peach-- Peachtree Road Race, Atlanta 10 miler, and Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon.
party:

Also, if you are in the NE Georgia\ Upstate South Carolina area join us for The Lake Hartwell Dam Run 5k or 10k on May 4th. It's a good POT race. The 5k starts in SC and runs across the dam into Georgia and the 10K runs into SC on the road and comes back into Georgia across the dam. It averages about 700-800 runners, AND you could wear your Star Wars costume because, after all, "May the 4th be with you"! (DH is one of two race directors.)

Hi everyone - I have a quick question.

For context, I began running last year, but took a couple months off due to bronchitis. When I started last year, I registered for the 2019 Star Wars 10k. I am at a 14:25 mile and my longest mileage has been about 7 miles (though I feel like I could go longer if needed) so I'm not SUPER worried about the race other than the heat. (This is saying a lot for me because when I started, I was doing couch to 5k and thought I was going to DIE on week1)

All this to say that I'm new to running and admittedly don't know nearly enough about it. I'm an interval runner. I currently do 3.5 min run to 2 min walk. However, lately when I read about interval running, it's in seconds usually - ex. 30sec/30 sec.

Is it bad to be doing longer interval runs like I'm doing? Does it matter? Eventually, I'd like to increase my running and decrease my walking and do a half marathon and then a full. I'm just trying to figure out if I train or run "wrong."

I have a lot to learn still and thought this would be a good first spot to ask.

Last edited:
Hi everyone - I have a quick question.

For context, I began running last year, but took a couple months off due to bronchitis. When I started last year, I registered for the Star Wars 10k. I am at a 14:25 mile and my longest mileage has been about 7 miles (though I feel like I could go longer if needed) so I'm not SUPER worried about the race other than the heat. (This is saying a lot got me because I started doing couch to 5k and though I was going to DIE on week1)

All this to say that I'm new to running and admittedly don't know nearly enough about it. I'm an interval runner. I currently do 3.5 min run to 2 min walk. However, lately when I read about interval running, it's in seconds usually - ex. 30sec/30 sec.

Is it bad to be doing longer interval runs like I'm doing? Does it matter? Eventually, I'd like to increase my running and decrease my walking and do a half marathon and then a full. I'm just trying to figure out if I train or run "wrong."

I have a lot to learn still and thought this would be a good first spot to ask.
Jeff Galloway’s current school of thought is that walk breaks should not exceed 30 seconds. But, personally my walk breaks are 45-60 seconds. So, you aren’t necessarily doing it “wrong”. Have you researched Galloway’s run-walk-run method? Have you tried different intervals? From my experience, it is about finding the right walk break for you and then gradually increasing your running interval from there.

Jeff Galloway’s current school of thought is that walk breaks should not exceed 30 seconds. But, personally my walk breaks are 45-60 seconds. So, you aren’t necessarily doing it “wrong”. Have you researched Galloway’s run-walk-run method? Have you tried different intervals? From my experience, it is about finding the right walk break for you and then gradually increasing your running interval from there.

I looked at his briefly, but I wasn't sure "why" the walk break should only be set at a certain amount. Isn't it the same amount of running vs. walking anyway? Maybe I'll try going down to 3 min run/1 min walk (after this first race - I feel comfortable as I am and don't want to screw that up).

I looked at his briefly, but I wasn't sure "why" the walk break should only be set at a certain amount. Isn't it the same amount of running vs. walking anyway? Maybe I'll try going down to 3 min run/1 min walk (after this first race - I feel comfortable as I am and don't want to screw that up).
His theory is that you only need 30 sec to get the benefits of the walk break. Longer walk breaks tend to cause your walking pace to slow, requiring a faster run to maintain pace, all leading to increased fatigue (the very thing you are trying to prevent with walk breaks).

Having read Galloway, can confirm that's his reasoning--theoretically it's harder to get moving again after a longer walking break. Right now, though, I'm at 10 seconds run, 45 seconds walk, and if I go below 45 seconds I get fatigued significantly faster, so the idea that 30 seconds is "correct" and all you should need is really, really subjective. My strategy has been to keep the micro-run of 10 seconds and work my walk break down toward 30 seconds, but tbh I'm seeing slow returns on that and am considering keeping the 45 second rest and increasing the run instead.

Am I correct in thinking the Star Wars run weekend is in April? If you have a run/walk interval ratio that works for you and keeps you at a pace that will get you through the race, I'm not sure I'd be looking to make big changes right now. If you have time and inclination you could experiment with different intervals, but for the immediate future my inclination would be to run the pace and intervals you've trained to run. I'm no expert, though; it just strikes me that if it ain't broke, right before a race isn't the time to fix it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter