The Running Thread - 2019

*waves hello* My NY resolution is to emerge from the shadows and post more here!

@LSUlakes can you add
March 3, Little Rock half marathon. Goal is under 3 hours.

ATTQOTD:

Short-term goals:
*Run five half marathons in 2019 (four in-state as part of a local running series, one out of state with my college buddies.)
*Keep getting faster
*Don’t lose my mojo during the hot summer months
*Get a POT for 2020 WDW full

Long-term goals:
*2020 WDW full
*2021 Dopey

Short term - have FUN at the WDW 10k, and complete a runstreak in January.

Long term - this year I’ve got 4 10-milers lined up. I’ve set a goal of 800 miles for the year. Also, getting started on my goal of running 1) in every state, and 2) in all the ports of our summer Disney Cruise in Europe.

Happy 2019!

QOTD: What are your short term and long term running goals for 2019?

Short Term - Recover from this ankle injury and return to running in February
Long Term - Continue with strength + bike + run through 2019 and see if I can continue to make running gains using this method. Ideally preparing for a BQ attempt at Disney 2020.

How do you pick a race? I am debating a march race (http://epicraces.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/AA_Half-Marathon_Cert_Map_Final_RFrench_5-13-18b.pdf) or a June race (http://dxa2.com/wp-content/uploads/halfmap.jpg). The former has the chance of snow and freezing rain or great weather, the later was a monsoon last year and alternates between hot and amazing. Also, the later has no elevation map. Is March is too soon to properly train? Which weather is more tolerable? {also waiting to see a conference schedule to see if I could tack on part of Rival Run weekend, but not sure that is a better idea than the others}.

I think you hit on the big ones for me: historical temps and elevation. I looked at the March HM official elevation map and can't really decipher the y-axis which would be important in discerning what types of hills you're working with.

Here is Dexter HM on MapMyRun (different people's devices gave different values): LINK, LINK, LINK
-About 150-349 ft total elevation with one dramatic climb in Mile 11 (60-100 ft in 0.5 miles).

Here is Ann Arbor HM on MapMyRun (different people's devices gave different values): LINK, LINK
-About 266 ft total elevation with two long climbs (100-120 ft in 2 miles and 90-200 ft in 2 miles).

March 24th is enough time to recover from Disney and build gains between. There are 10 weeks between races. My bare minimum time to see gains is 8 weeks, but ideally something between 12-16 weeks. I much prefer personally to do deal with the cold than the hot. Look at the temp+dew of the last 5 years during the time you're actually running using weather underground to determine if those conditions are ideal for you.

@LSUlakes

Please put me down for the following runs:

01/10 - Leeroy Jenkins - Walt Disney World 5k (30 / NA)
01/11 - Leeroy Jenkins - Walt Disney World 10k (1:00 / NA)
01/12 - Leeroy Jenkins - Walt Disney World Half (2:00 / NA)
01/13 - Leeroy Jenkins - Walt Disney World Marathon (4:00 / NA)
02/23 - Leeroy Jenkins – Disney Princess 10K (48:00 / NA)
02/24 - Leeroy Jenkins – Disney Princess Half Marathon (1:55 / NA)
04/06 - Leeroy Jenkins - Star Wars Rival Run 10K (48:00 / N/A)
04/07 - Leeroy Jenkins - Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon (1:55 / N/A)
11/02 - Leeroy Jenkins – Disney Wine and Dine 10K (48:00 / N/A) (once registration opens)
11/03 - Leeroy Jenkins – Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon (1:55 / N/A) (once registration opens)

Also signed up for the Star Wars Virtual Half, and planning on doing the virtual shorts as well. If all goes well at home, planning on doing the Disneyland Paris 10k and half.

When I first signed up with Disboards, I remember reading a post where someone called it a "Scrooge McDuck Challenge" and it sort of stuck with me since, so I'll give it a shot for 2019.

Hope to see you all there!

Last edited:

ATTQOTD: Short term goal is to finish Dopey. My poor eating habits and lackluster training have made this much more questionable than it should be, but my head is in the right place about it now and I’m going to think my way through the weekend as best I can and accept the pain my lack of discipline has wrought. It’s going to be a long Sunday, but I’ll do my best to tough it out.

Long term goal is to make a course correction on the above statement. If I’m fortunate enough to finish next week I will be perfect through 6 Dopeys but the last two will have felt far from perfect. My training and my health haven’t been where I want them the last few years but I haven’t taken the steps to get back to where I was happy. That has to end. Before I sign up for Dopey #7 I have made some very concrete goals that I need to attain. I will not register unless/until they are reached. Dopey was always meant to be my reward for the end of a good year of training and personal improvement and, quite simply, I haven’t deserved a reward for a while. I love Marathon Weekend and while it may seem silly I’m kind of proud of being perfect dopey. I want to be proud of the work I’m putting in to keep that designation.

ATTQOTD:
Short Term - Complete Goofy next week and make a final determination on whether I'm going to attempt the 50 miler in February. I'm leaning towards doing it, but want to see how I feel after Goofy before committing.

Long Term - I'm struggling a little with what I want to do with 2019. Usually I have a race calendar set by this point that drives things, but not this year. I was 0/3 (Tokyo, London, Berlin) on the world major marathon lotteries and I was really hoping to have at least one of those to provide a focal point. I'm still dealing with the disappointment of not getting close to my 4:00 goal in Chicago and am debating whether to take one more shot at that goal or just drop back and run for pure enjoyment without any pacing targets. I tend to be very goal- and plan-driven, so right now I feel a bit rudderless.

Short Term - Recover from this ankle injury and return to running in February
Long Term - Continue with strength + bike + run through 2019 and see if I can continue to make running gains using this method. Ideally preparing for a BQ attempt at Disney 2020.

I think you hit on the big ones for me: historical temps and elevation. I looked at the March HM official elevation map and can't really decipher the y-axis which would be important in discerning what types of hills you're working with.

Here is Dexter HM on MapMyRun (different people's devices gave different values): LINK, LINK, LINK
-About 150-349 ft total elevation with one dramatic climb in Mile 11 (60-100 ft in 0.5 miles).

Here is Ann Arbor HM on MapMyRun (different people's devices gave different values): LINK, LINK
-About 266 ft total elevation with two long climbs (100-120 ft in 2 miles and 90-200 ft in 2 miles).

March 24th is enough time to recover from Disney and build gains between. There are 10 weeks between races. My bare minimum time to see gains is 8 weeks, but ideally something between 12-16 weeks. I much prefer personally to do deal with the cold than the hot. Look at the temp+dew of the last 5 years during the time you're actually running using weather underground to determine if those conditions are ideal for you.

Thank you for the feedback! I also prefer the cold, which is part of why I would consider the March race. However, I fear February weather may not lend itself to training any more than endless travel. I appreciate the reassurance it is far enough out to see some improvement and it is not a pointless endeavor.
I found myself irritated by the elevation plot (did these people not fail assignments for such things?), but the other race has no plot at all which does not seem better. Is this typical? I thought the information should be on the USATF cert and learned it is not. The links were helpful (although they changed the AAHM route so not correct, but I know the hill of 150 ft over a mile on woodchips), I had not seen them previously.

Heeeeelllllloooooo 2019!

ATTQOTD: Short term, I just want to get through WDW Marathon Weekend finishing the 5K, 10K and full without major pain. Which didn't seem like it needed to be a goal up until a week or so ago, when I wrenched my knee not running. :headache: Long term, I just want to continue being able to run and enjoy the experience!

@LSUlakes thank you SO much for continuing this thread! I love it! Here are my scheduled races so far:

1/5 - Ksellers88 - Red Nose Half (NG/NA)
2/9 - Ksellers88 - RNR Nola 5k (NG/NA)
2/10 - KSellers88 - RNR Nola Half (NG/NA)
3/17 - KSellers88 - Asheville Half (NG/NA)
3/30 - KSellers88 - Bay St. Louis Half (NG/NA)

Short term goals: Find the joy in running again. I felt a little beat up after my marathon in December and I am finally starting to enjoy running again rather than it feeling like a chore. I guess this could be a short term or long term goal.

Long term goal: I want to continue my streak of 100+ miles per month (24 months and counting), eat better, drink more water and stay consistent with my strength training. I also want to check off some more states on my goal to run a half or full in all 50 states (which will take way longer than 2019, LOL). Of course the overall goal is to run a sub-4 marathon and sub 1:45 half, but that may not happen this year and I am okay with that.

Short Term: Continue training and PR my April marathon. Afterward, I'll set my fall goal(s). Lots of runners I know are already registering for fall races but I just can't commit quite yet.

Long Term:
  • Run at least 50 miles a month
  • Continue strength training at least 1/WK
  • Actively participate in local running group

Another goal I'm thinking about is running a race every month. I already completed January and one of my fav local races is in February. March is always a St Patrick's race then April is my marathon. I'm hesitant to make any plans after that though.

Thanks for keeping this thread going! I'm not sure of my goals for the year yet. Short term is just to be able to finish the WDW marathon this year. One long term goal is to get at least 700 miles running/elliptical in 2019. And of course, stay healthy. I wasn't planning to give too much thought to races in 2019 until after the marathon. But then I won free entry to the RnR DC half through work. So I'll at least have to train for that race in March.

Can you add that to the list for me?

03/09 - Chaitali - Rock and Roll DC Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

• Actively participate in local running group
This reminded me of one more goal Inhave for this year. To try and be less of a solo runner. Every run I did last year was a solo run, which I like but I figure I should try and be a bit more out going, my town does have a running group so I’m going to join that and do at least one run a week with them during January and see how I like it. A friend of mine also wants to do the Philly marathon this year and asked if I would train with her for it.

Yay New Thread..Thanks @LSUlakes

January
12 - roxymama - Walt Disney World Half Marathon (Have Fun!/ N/A)
March
24 - roxymama - Shamrock Shuffle 8k (45:00/NA)
August
4 - roxymama - Naperville Sprint Triathlon 375m swim, 22k bike, 5k run (Finish!/NA)

ATTQOTD:
Short term - figure out my spring races and what distances I'd like them to be. Likely will do that once back from WDW weekend. I'd like to not take too much time off after the disney half since I'm already running so that starts the year off nicely. I'm thinking maybe the pig half or chicago spring half. And then focus on shorter distance summer and fall. Maybe try for the elusive 5k PR :)

Long term - learn to bike better and swim better leading up to my first beginner triathlon. There are a few indoor ones for practice I'd like to tackle as well. Also I have to buy a bike.

ATTQOTD:Short term goal is to finish my first marathon next week!

Long term, I don’t really have anything specific. After WDW, I have no races on the schedule. It’s a weird feeling. I will do something at Shamrock in March, just not sure if it will be the half or full. I’d like to hit 1000 miles for the year, but motivation might be lacking if I decide not to race for the rest of the year. I’m really enjoying trail running, so maybe I’ll sign up for some trail races!

Oh, I forgot a goal that's not a running goal but more running adjacent. I'd like to journal more. This year is turning over a new leaf in the roxymama life and I enjoy journaling, so I'd like to do more of what I enjoy.

Thank you @LSUlakes for this thread. I really enjoy it!

ATTQOTD:

Short Term: Finish Dopey and get over this hip bursitis.

Long Term: Figure out what i want to race this year. I have my eye on a March 10 miler that has pacers. I’d like to attempt a sub 2 half late fall or early winter. Maybe see if I can cut more time off my 10K? Other than that I’ll continue strength training, but cut it back to two days a week to make time for a BodyFlow class I enjoy at the gym.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!