The Running Thread - 2019

You're going to have great memories. When I would take my daughters, we'd go over all the rides and restaurants before we left and they could pick the ones they really wanted to do. When they were younger, characters were a big deal, though not so much princesses. We went to Akershus Princess Breakfast and my daughter didn't want to be a princess, she wanted to be Elizabeth Turner from Pirates. We were walking through EPCOT and she had a Pirates tiara in her hair and a cast member walking by said It's nice to see you, Miss Turner. That made her day. Now it's more restaurants, like this past summer, they wanted to go on rides, Blizzard Beach and had to eat at Boma and Ohana.

I do remember a great trip when my oldest was 6. It was just her and me and we were in California to see family and went to Disneyland. It was open 8am to midnight and we got there before park opening. We rode everything, had a great time together. She insisted she was going to close the park. We watched the fireworks at 10 that night and it was obvious she was exhausted. So I told her it was fine, we could leave now, we'd been on everything. And she got mad because we still had a Fastpass we hadn't used yet. I was so proud!! She was asleep before we got out of the parking garage.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I don't have kids yet, but I have some very special memories of 1 on 1 time with my dad.
We took a big "no moms allowed" camping trip every summer with Dad's friends and their kids. Something that sticks out to me is that he always let me make decisions and maybe spoiled me a bit more than if mom was around :) S'mores for breakfast? Why not! Stay up waaaay past my bedtime? No problem.

I'd let her take the lead, it'll be fun to see what she picks! Have a great time!

ATTQOTD: I've never done this myself but DH has done this with DS and DD individually in a local capacity. When he does it with them he just lets them lead the day...pick the activity, pick the food. They love it! Have fun!

ATTQOTD: This sounds like so much fun! I agree with others who suggested you let her lead the way and decide what she wants to do. I hope y'all have a blast!

QOTD: Non running related question today. Tomorrow I leave for WDW with DD(5) for our first ever Daddy / Daughter trip for a long weekend! Todays question is, if you have done something like this or thought about it, what are some fun things you have/would do?
ATTQOTD: I had a few trips after I got divorced and before I met my current wife where it was just me and the kids. I would say customize to whatever you and your daughter both enjoy. That may or may not be more or less of the same thing(s) you do when you are with the whole family.

ATTQOTD: if you head to AK there is always the wilderness explorer thing. My husband and daughter have never taken their own trip but they did spend half of yesterday together at MK for a daddy/daughter date night. They had dole whips and rode whatever rides she wanted. Have fun!

ATTQOTD- good advice already posted and I would echo the "let your daughter lead the way" strategy.
Not sure of her age but sometimes too much activity and crowds can lead to overstimulation for the parent and child, hopefully you will build in some downtime and hang out at the pool or someplace relaxing too.

Have a great time!!!!

I took my middle child and my MIL to DL for a RunDisney race. It was a lot of fun and we had a great bonding experience. At the time my youngest was pretty young and my oldest didn’t want to miss school so there were no hard feelings. This year I’m taking my oldest to DW. I’m really looking forward to continuing the tradition. My husband doesn’t have a Disney side so he prefers not to go.

ATTQOTD - I only have sons. We have done Scouting things together without my wife, but no vacations. Would never have even considered WDW with my boys and not my wife. It just wouldn't be the same.

QOTD: Non running related question today. Tomorrow I leave for WDW with DD(5) for our first ever Daddy / Daughter trip for a long weekend! Todays question is, if you have done something like this or thought about it, what are some fun things you have/would do?

ATTQOTD: It looks like its going to be crowded! So we are going to take it slow, but the fun things we have planned are the Fanstasmic Dessert party on Friday as well as eating at Sci-Fi (DD choice). Pick a pearl in Japan is also planned. Saturday we are doing the HEA dessert party as well. Looks like a lot of healthy eating is in the plans so far lol.

I have four kids ranging in age from 15 down to 7 so my plans would be different depending on who I brought I think. But, I'm thinking if I did a trip like that, I would be going to DL. I think the value is better out there. We are leaving for our family trip the kids got for Christmas two weeks from today. I think they would like to see DL at some point too.

Have a great time on your weekend trip. It will be something you both remember for the rest of your lives!

ATTQOTD: I just echo everyone else’s good wishes to have a great time together! A short weekend trip to Disney relieves the pressure to “do everything” and means you can focus on only doing exactly what is most important and enjoyable!

With @LSUlakes where I would prefer to be, I volunteered to cover the QOTD in his absence. One of the most helpful QOTD for me was when it was asked was 'what advice you would give to new runners in 5 or less words.' I still look to that list. So I want to revive and modify this.

Question of the Day:
What 5 or less words of advice were the most useful to you in your running journey?

My ATTQOTD:
I have many things that I pull out, but the one that I refer to frequently is:

"Do what you can today"

sometimes that can be 6 miles, sometimes it is a half mile walk, sometimes it is a nap, and it is all ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter