The Running Thread - 2018

Mini Turkey Trot race report:

Because I haven’t been able to train for almost 2 weeks due to air quality, I was worried about the race. My tentative goal was 36:00 but I’d be happy at 40:00 due to lack of training.

Time: 32:54. I’m thrilled. More details in my training thread when we get home.

ETA: I hadn’t realized - that’s a PR for 5k.

Last edited:
Finished the Austin turkey trot 5 miler. I am so not a hill runner. Finished 4th (again) in my age group in 40:36, which is actually 8 seconds faster than 2 years ago, so I'm happy.

Now to finish meal prep. It's always a challenge when it's not your own kitchen.

ATTQOTD: We start the day with the Turkey Trot, and then the city my in-laws live in has a Thanksgiving parade. It's corny and cheesy in that small-town-parade sort of way - you get the VFW and American Legion, the high school marching band, some classic car clubs, a local dance studio, and various local politicians and businesspeople. It always ends with Santa riding on a fire truck. We bring a dozen donuts and some individual bottles of chocolate milk (or strawberry, or whatever else looks interesting) and enjoy the parade.

It's a bit odd this year, as it's the first year my older son hasn't been with us - he's at college on the other side of the country, and spending the day with my sister and her family. But it's one of those traditions that we don't want to give up.

I ran my local Turkey Trot this morning! It is less than 2 miles down the road from my house. I love seeing all of the families that bring their dogs and the creative costumes. Before the race I even saw a four legged Wonder Woman!

Considering I am in the middle of marathon training, I have been running a lot of miles...very slowly. So, I went into this 5k with no expectations. The weather was good (high 40's and the rain is holding out until this afternoon) and I felt good. I even managed to run up the long hill that makes up the bulk of mile three without stopping to walk (although my running pace did slow...) In the end I finished about a minute ahead of last year in an unofficial 31:38 (official times will be posted later). It was a great way to start the day!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

ATTQOTD catch up: I despise cold rain, and seem to skip running in it. Humidity also does me in. I’ve only run chipped races and always go with their time. Thanksgiving is for family in my mind, whereas DH is not of the same opinion. He spent the last 2 years plotting and saving for a Hawaiian thanksgiving, for which I am very thankful. We skipped turkey in favor of whatever local catch they had at the restaurant next door, and I do not miss the traditional food at all. My turkey trot was 3.5 miles with the chickens! Between the hills and the lack of cell service and bad hotel map, it was one of the slower runs in a long time- I am very thankful for the opportunity!
So I tried the Bondi 4s a couple of years ago. The first pair I got was a half size smaller than I normally get, but it felt okay, and my toes still seemed to have plenty of room. I liked all the cushion. I wore them a few times, and ended up wearing them for a very warm half marathon. I ended up with several blisters, some under toenails (before I figured out what I needed to do to stop toe blisters) and one kind of on my arch. I pretty much stopped wearing those shoes after that. I thought that maybe they were just too small.

I found another pair of them in my size on a sale rack, so I thought I would try them again. I ended up getting a blister on the arch of my foot again, and decided that Hoka’s just aren’t for me. So I would agree with whoever said it, at least this version is too narrow (or something) for me, and they don’t agree with my feet. :) But I know a lot of people who love their Hoka’s, so I hope they work out for you.

My newer shoes + thicker socks keep giving me an arch & a tie blister. What worked for you? I went back to the thin socks, but they will not be warm enough come January.

My favorite part of Thanksgiving day is the whole house filling up with the aromas of a turkey roasting in the oven. And watching the Lions lose. :) We won't have any of the roasting turkey smells this year, though. We're heading to V&A for dinner tomorrow night.

@LSUlakes can you please add me to the list of people racing this weekend? I'm signed up for the Space Coast half on Sunday, which I seem likely to attempt on no run training for months. Let's hope the local residents are passing out lots of beer along the way.
No problem, they still lost without you. We worry that someone will have a heart attack when they do win!

My newer shoes + thicker socks keep giving me an arch & a tie blister. What worked for you? I went back to the thin socks, but they will not be warm enough come January.

So for me, I went to a different shoe to get rid of the arch blister.
But normally, since I have and still somewhat struggle with toe blisters, I use 2Toms Sport Shield roll-on on my toes, as well as that arch area (just in case), I also wear my Injinji toe socks which are usually on the thinner side.

Well that didn't go as planned....

DH and I were going to run the Hot to Trot 10k on Thanksgiving morning. On Sunday my DD (13) decided she wanted to do the 5k. The course was 1 lap on the course for the 5k and 2 laps for the 10k, so perfect! I was happy for her to want to do it too. Then DS (10) want to run too. Yay! I've been trying to encourage them to run without being pushy. Well. DS got about .25 mi into it and was tired. I tried to be encouraging but pretty much had to drag him through the course. Ugh! Sometimes his attitude is so bad! Kids! :)
Our 5k split was 55 min. Sigh. I had felt so strong this week and was sure I could PR. And I was so frustrated dropping them off at the end of the 5k. (I want to do 5ks as a family so bad!)
DH and I pushed it and ended up finishing the 10k at about 1:34 (don't have official results because they quit at 1:30). That's about what I did a couple of weeks ago without kids, so I'm happy with out makeup speed in the second half. So, with the performance and endorphin high I was able to ditch my frustration about DS's attitude and have a great Thanksgiving. And my DD loved it and wants to do more 5ks and a 10k. So, YAY!

Overall, it was a successful exercise in coping when things don't go as planned.

Tidewater Striders Turkey Trot 10K

This was my first ever turkey trot, but the 41st running of this event. It’s put on by a local run group. They do a lot of local events and normally do a great job. DH picked up our bibs and shirts Wednesday after work.

This race is around a local park called Mt. Trashmore. It is made out of trash, hence the name. It’s also the only place in our area where we can get some climbing in (besides bridges). Anyway, I had 8 miles scheduled for the day. I decided to do a warmup mile at an extremely easy pace. My left Achilles has been bothering me since my run on Monday, but it felt good during this mile.

It was about 40° at race start, but ended up getting colder as our high for the day was overnight. Luckily Saturday will be close to 70°! We started just after 9. I normally do intervals, but I wanted to run for as long as I could and see what happened. The first 5K+ is through a neighborhood. I actually was shocked by the lack of crowd support through there. The people that were out were great though! I ran the first 2 miles straight with a sub 10 min pace. But I had to take a break to take off my gloves and ear band. This is when my Achilles started to cramp. Ugh. I realized running actually felt better than walking, and heel striking felt pretty good. I did take some additional walk breaks just to catch my breath; I’m not acclimated to this weather yet! The last few miles are through the park and we finish at the start line. I ended up with a new PR of 1:05:12, beating my previous time by 4:27. I’m not working on speed at all, so it’s nice to see that just adding additional miles and sticking to my marathon plan is paying off. I still felt like I kept a conservative pace and didn’t push too hard, so I’m hoping a sub-60 will be in my future soon enough.

There was nothing special at the finish line and we forgot to take pics after, just a selfie before the race. I finished my .8 back to the car and got home to clean up and cook. It was a great day and hopefully this race will be one of our traditions! C9365D11-69A4-4A3D-8AF3-7FFBAEA80AB0.jpeg

I had said earlier that definitely the first time I do something it terrifies me. I am here to confirm it true again. I drove our RV for the first time on the highway on our last trip to Disney in April (yup ran dark side) I needed to try and drive it, I was terrified. Well today was time number 2 again on our way to Disney. At first I was not going to do it because it’s scary and honestly I hate driving. I don’t even like to drive my car. However I knew I had to drive that bus. I did it. It was not far only 30 miles from one rest area to another but I did it. Yes I told DH I want an I did it shirt with Mickey driving an RV. It was still scary but much less than April. Not sure I will back that thing into a campsite but I can drive it on the highway and even practiced some turns in the rest area.

@LSUlakes - please add TCBinFLA, 12/1/18, One Epic Run, Spartanburg SC, goal 24+ miles
This is a 24-hour trail 5k-loop run. I’m using it as a Dopey training run, plus am going to be providing support for my friend who is hoping to run 38 miles for her 38th birthday. I’ve never run an event like this, so no expectations other than getting my miles in.

@SarahDisney I know it was a few days ago but thought I would respond to the Hoka Shoes question. I have run in the Hoka Speedgoat 2’s for trail races and absolutely love them. Great shoe for traction, feel and comfort. I then tried the Hoka Clifton 4’s... This is just my opinion and I have no proof. The Clifton’s always felt a bit off for me. The date I attribute to my injury was a scheduled 20 miler and I wore my semi-new Cliftons. They had about 60 miles on them at point. Anyway, I ended up with a Paroneal Tendon injury that led to surgery and this long recovery. As I have been cleared for exercise and am walking I have been trying various shoes. I donated all my older shoes and started with all new shoes - I figured why take any chances. So I have been back in Ghosts & Cascadias by Brooks and Speedgoats & Cliftons by Hoka. The only shoes I have felt pain at the injury sight have been the Cliftons. I am not running in them anymore.

Speaking of running - I am still walking... I have two more weeks before I will be ready to run. But right now I am walking 2-3 miles every other day at around a 15 minute mile pace. I want to run, but honestly it has been so long that this is enough for the moment. Happy to be getting out and moving!

Kinda different Thanksgiving for me. I have a half tomorrow morning, then I’ll probably take a nap and will spend the rest of the afternoon/evening at Champions Square and the Superdome for Falcons-Saints!
. I am so jealous! As a life long Saints fan I am sad to report I have never seen a game in the Superdome. Hope you enjoyed your Saintsgiving!

Congrats to all who ran Turkey Trots on Thursday. @LSUlakes please take mine off the list. It was canceled on Thursday. When we woke up the temp was 13* with a real feel of -7 so they decide for the safety of all to cancel. The roads were also wicked icy so probably better than did. There is always next year.

. I am so jealous! As a life long Saints fan I am sad to report I have never seen a game in the Superdome. Hope you enjoyed your Saintsgiving!

Weird game, but the vibe was awesome as always!

I've only been a fan since 2013 (I was a Cowboys fan growing up, but I hate Jerry Jones and him bringing back the defensive lineman that got drunk and killed his teammate in a car accident was a deal-breaker and the last straw for me because c'mon now), so obviously I don't have the skins on the wall like you lifers do! I bought into a season-ticket share for this season (my two games were last Sunday against the Eagles and #Saintsgiving) with the hopes that I can get a full-season seat for 2019. It's just such a cool scene that I really hope you get to experience soon!

IMG_6500.jpeg

@SarahDisney I know it was a few days ago but thought I would respond to the Hoka Shoes question. I have run in the Hoka Speedgoat 2’s for trail races and absolutely love them. Great shoe for traction, feel and comfort. I then tried the Hoka Clifton 4’s... This is just my opinion and I have no proof. The Clifton’s always felt a bit off for me. The date I attribute to my injury was a scheduled 20 miler and I wore my semi-new Cliftons. They had about 60 miles on them at point. Anyway, I ended up with a Paroneal Tendon injury that led to surgery and this long recovery. As I have been cleared for exercise and am walking I have been trying various shoes. I donated all my older shoes and started with all new shoes - I figured why take any chances. So I have been back in Ghosts & Cascadias by Brooks and Speedgoats & Cliftons by Hoka. The only shoes I have felt pain at the injury sight have been the Cliftons. I am not running in them anymore.

Speaking of running - I am still walking... I have two more weeks before I will be ready to run. But right now I am walking 2-3 miles every other day at around a 15 minute mile pace. I want to run, but honestly it has been so long that this is enough for the moment. Happy to be getting out and moving!

Just curious, do you plan to go back to trail running after this injury?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter