The Running Thread - 2018

Attqotd: at least the half this year with my friend. Have a little mermaid room booked. Not leaving until Monday in case I impulse goofy it. But right now I may be content with the half. Holidays this year may be hard/weird. Something nice to look towards.

Yes, they will be both hard and weird. Having something to look forward to and focus on during those weeks will be a sanity saver. Lost my dad 7 years ago yesterday...that first year was rough and I still have what I call “emotional toe stubs” when something triggers a special memory. You will get through the year of firsts and running will help. :hug:

I'm planning to sign up for the full at marathon weekend and hopefully it will be my redemption race after getting swept around mile 20 last year!

Yesterday's questions about the shoes... I was good when I started running to just use my running shoes for running and nothing else. But I've gotten lazy recently and I've been using them for the gym and for walking around too. I just got another pair of shoes for cross training, body pump classes, etc. So hopefully that will help with keeping my running shoes solely dedicated to running.

There's a shower in the Contemporary gym.
HM ends in EPCOT parking lot? Go into EPCOT and run around World Showcase? I'll set up a water station for you in Mexico.

Lets say he runs the half in 2 hours. He has another 4.5 to finish the virtual race. Before the half run a mile or two warm up, plus the walk the corrals. The half itself which we all know will be 13.5 miles. At this point you are already at ~16.5 miles in about 2:45:00. You need 10 miles in 3 hours and room to spare. Keeping your watch running, just go back to EPCOT and start making loops. At mile 17 when you get to the WSC, and each loop is 2.78 miles per google. Run the segments that runners are running and walk the unofficial parts. By my calculations you should run the first 3 loops counter clockwise, then make a u-turn (Who doesnt love those!) and by the time you get to Mexico you should be at 26.2 to "hydrate". There, the plan is set!

MAJOR EDIT!!!! So the walking all of EPCOT is 2.78 miles, while the world showcase is 1.2 miles! I may need @Keels to assist with the math now lol.

Its now 7.67 loops... just run them all CCW and hopefully end 26.2 in front of Mexico... IF not just run back and forth until you hit 26.2. lol

ATTQOTD:

Ugh. I don’t even know. Lol. Might be mostly impulse. I wanted to do my BEST to stick with 10K’s this year. I think my issue is I am what the world would call a “completist”. As in it’s hard for me to just do one race because I want to do every race the whole weekend long. Which means I would have to tackle Dopey, the fairytale challenge and then eventually the Lumiere Challenge. Like I can’t deal with just having one medal I want all of them. Lol. But since it’s going to be a bit lofty for this year, I think I’m just gonna do the 10K for the Walt Disney World marathon weekend. I’m still undecided about the Princess half Marathon weekend and wine and dine . Likely the 5K wine & dine weekend because it’s typically a holiday themed one.

Thankfully, the Universe took it easy on me and didn’t make me a Marvel or a Star Wars fan. Lol.

ATTQOTD: Currently having very serious second thoughts about marathon weekend. And I'm either in for Dopey or canceling everything and heading down in December instead.

I just feel burned out with running right now and given what the marathon asks, I don't know if I truly want to do that.

ATTQOTD: Currently having very serious second thoughts about marathon weekend. And I'm either in for Dopey or canceling everything and heading down in December instead.

I just feel burned out with running right now and given what the marathon asks, I don't know if I truly want to do that.

I feel you. I'm just barely starting to come out of a running burnout.
Most likely, this too shall pass. For me, it helped me to focus on other exercise, and while I was still running, I wasn't really focused on it much, I saw it as a supplement to other activity.
If you decide not to register, then come January you might regret it. Decide if you're okay with that. You might be okay with missing out because you weren't sure if this was right for you right now. Or you might realize that you'd rather be registered and not have to worry about whether you're going to regret it. Only you can decide what's best for you.

After a pathetic total of 74 miles for all of 2017, my New Year's Resolution was to run 500 miles this year. I hit that target with my run today.

So the next goal is another marathon which I have started training for. And then the WDW marathon in January. But that's getting into NEXT year's resolutions.

So ... if anyone wants guaranteed entry to run the 2019 NYC Marathon with me and doesn't want to come to NY to do the same guaranteed entry program I'm doing ... they just announced a virtual marathon that you can run to get guaranteed entry. Limited space available:
https://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2018/tcs-new-york-city-marathon-virtual-262m-and-5k-nov-1-4

Cost is $120 for non-NYRR members (which, btw, is less than I'm paying for my guaranteed entry as a NYRR member because I'm running 9 races, some of which aren't cheap). 6:30 time limit (verified through Strava). You get a hat and a medal.
If you want to run NYC with me and you're willing to run a virtual marathon in early November, this seems like a decent option.

Thanks for posting this, DH just signed up for it! I’ll be there cheering for you guys (or at brunch)

Guys! I think I have finally turned a corner with my Lyme symptoms. I don’t want to jinx it - but I’ve had 4 straight days of feeling “normal” (other than some lingering fatigue). I’ve run a few days as well. It just feels like I’m better. This was a long 3 month ordeal.

Which leads to QOTD - a few weeks ago, after some serious FOMO, I decided I wanted to do a 10k and use it as an excuse to do a family long weekend trip. I am tempted by the half - but hesitate to register until I know I’m feeling up for training. So 10k for sure - and a possible (15% chance of 10k + 13.1).

Running news: I started my replay of last year's @DopeyBadger marathon plan this week. No plan to run a marathon, I felt lost not being on a plan.

Non-running news: Drum roll, please. I heard from my boss today: I've been accepted into the voluntary separation plan, so as of August 1st, I AM RETIRED!

I feel like I just hit mile 26 of a marathon: I finally know I'll make it to the finish, extreme relief and joy, and a little sadness.

Last edited:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter