The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: While out for a run, have you ever made a wrong turn and then later realize you are lost? How did that end up for you? Extra mileage to your run?
No, because I always run the same route. I don’t veer off of my neighborhood area much at all because I feel less safe when I do. If I’m close to home I always have that buffer so to say. It can get boring running the same area all the time but it is what it is for me.

ATTQOTD:
I live in the great wide nowhere, so it's pretty much impossible to get lost. I have a pretty good sense of direction and the only time I can remember getting lost on foot was trying to navigate to my room at POR-RS in the dark. Not my finest moment...

QOTD: While out for a run, have you ever made a wrong turn and then later realize you are lost? How did that end up for you? Extra mileage to your run?

Oh yea, plenty of times. I was in Philadelphia for a work thing and ran around Valley Forge. I made a few wrong turns there. I made plenty of wrong turns while doing trail runs in the woods. I've even had course marshals screw up races a few times.

Getting lost is fun, I suggest more people try it.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: usually I only run streets and trails I'm familiar with. Except once in college while camping. I don't think I was *completely* sober and I decided that 2am was the perfect time for a run. It was a good run. But it freaked out my friends when they realized I took off.

Anyone use/try to use Hydrapouch? If so, looking for feedback. Thanks.

I did a race that didn't have cups at the water stops but gave these out. I like it for what it is. During my long runs last summer I clipped it to my shorts and when I ran past drinking fountains I filled it up to get a drink and dump some water over my head. I'm guessing you know you don't run with it full, it is for filling and drinking immediately.

ATTQOTD: No. I map my routes out ahead of time in Strava so I know what the distance is. I run all over our area, I like to mix it up so that I'm not always looking at the same thing every run, but I have never taken a wrong turn. I have a really good sense of direction and navigation, so I would not be too worried even if I did. We always joke that if we were ever on The Amazing Race, I would totally be the navigator in the back seat... I am much better at that than my SO, and he is a better driver than me. :D

ATTQOTD: I usually map my routes out before I go and do my best to remember them. Once I wrote the street names on my hand and STILL missed it. (See also: don't drive with me without navigation). But I have never been lost while running.

ATTQOTD: Most of the roads I run on are dead end roads, so I have never had that problem. I did get a little turned around during my shakeout run in Savannah, but it is easy to find your way back home there with the way their streets are set up!

QOTD: How many different runDisney events have you participated in? We will also include Castaway Cay 5k at any time and the run held at Port Orleans.

2013 and 2014 Tower of Terror
2014 January Half Marathon
2015 Goofy Challenge
2015 Wine and Dine Half
2016 Marathon
2016 Inaugural Star Wars Dark Side Half
2016 and 2017 Glass Slipper Challenge.
2018 Dopey Challenge
2018 Princess Half

ATTQOTD: I've never gotten lost because in a town of only 8,000 people, I'd have to be a real idiot to get lost here. I mean, I AM a real idiot, but that hasn't resulted in me getting lost. Yet.

A couple of questions...

1. Can I use my Disney Visa rewards points(dollars) at the runDisney booth at the expo next month?
2. If I'm not getting to said expo until the last day, will it be pretty slim pickin's when it comes to merch that's left, or will there still be plenty of options available?

1. Can I use my Disney Visa rewards points(dollars) at the runDisney booth at the expo next month?
I think so... when you redeem the points, you get a credit card type thing like a gift card. I usually end up using mine at a meal or a gift shop, but I don't see why you couldn't use it at the expo... that being said, I usually use the Disney Visa at the expo because you get a discount. :) Although maybe you just need to show the card for the discount, not actually use it.

ATTQOTD (yesterday):
I have only run races during WDW Marathon Weekend - Goofy 2015 and Dopey 2016, 2017 & 2018.

ATTQOTD (today): this past fall during an evening run I got completely disoriented and ended up several blocks over from where I thought I was. I was trying to squeeze a long run in while my daughter was st dance class which started at 6:30. I had skipped dinner and had run pretty hard. On my way back to the studio I got spacey and on autopilot simply went the wrong way. By the time I realized something was wrong I could not figure out how to get back to where I should be. Finally figured it out but kind freaked me out that I could space out that much!

ATTQOTD: It's been a long while since I've been properly lost. I do zone out a lot and then will be confused where I am for a split second. Luckily, that's usually on the bike path where there are no turns to remember.

If I'm running somewhere new, I'll bring my phone along so I can look at a map if needed.

ATTQOTD: I've been lost more than once. Most of the time it resulted in little to no extra distance and the rest of the route was known and I was able to skip a section to get to the distance I wanted. One of the times I got lost was with a group run and we missed a turn. We ended up in a not so great part of town. That mile or so in that area had everyone running more towards race pace until we got back to our normal areas. We did end up with a extra mile on that one. I also made a wrong turn running around the campgrounds at WDW. By chance my aunt was staying there and was driving around on a golf cart. She pointed me in the right direction and as was well.

So far I have not gotten lost. Most of the training is in the local neighborhood or local parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter