The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Do you or have you practiced a race? What I mean by that is, have you raced a 5k, 10k, ect that is not actually a race? Why did you? If you have not done this before, why?

ATTQOTD: I have. It's usually for short distance races like the 5k and 10k. I did it to get a good idea of where I was fitness wise to develop training paces as well as just to practice being at that pace and seeing how it feels.

I would say unintentionally I have. The first year I ran, when I knew even less than I know now, I ran every run as hard as I could. So every run was a race to me. I was so afraid of getting swept at TOT that I thought I just had to run as hard as I could all of the time. Now, I clearly don't do that and I don't do any practice races. I put in my training the best I can and I hope race day is one of those "effortless runs" that sometimes happens during training, as opposed to one of the brutal runs where you question why you run at all. That's my strategy. :teeth:

The medals were revealed for the Magnolia Farms Silo District Marathon and they aren't shiplap and they aren't even their cool Magnolia logo and my FOMO dropped down a little bit.

I saw! I am hoping that they are prettier in person. Also, they said those are the "mock ups"? So maybe they will look better when they are real? Anyway, still very excited for the marathon and to visit Magnolia Market and their new restaurant, Magnolia Table, opened Monday so we may try that too. :)

QOTD: Do you have a finishers medal that means more to you than others? You may have multiple medals from the same race, but the one from a certain year means more to you... why? Feel free to post a picture of it.

ATTQOTD: I have two that mean a lot to me that I received during a very challenging time in my life. I say two, which is kinda against the rules but I will explain a bit, which will answer the why part of the question. In 2013 I ran Boston for charity. As I have mentioned before DW was pregnant with our DD and I had a unexpected career change leading up to the race. That was the only race I have ever started and did not cross the finish line because of the events that day. They ended up mailing me a finishers medal and a official finish time so I would be part of the official records. I felt like I had unfinished business and returned to run the event in 2014 and finally crossed the finish line. The 2014 race was a way to "turn the page" to our next chapter of our lives. Crossing the finish line was a very symbolic thing for both of us. By that time we had a healthy baby girl, my career was back on path, and life was treating us well. Here is a picture of my post race beer. 2014 medal, and the 2013 shirt.
IMG_0081.JPG

QOTD: Do you have a finishers medal that means more to you than others? You may have multiple medals from the same race, but the one from a certain year means more to you... why? Feel free to post a picture of it.
My “first” medals probably mean the most to me so my first 10K, Half, and Full. My Dopey from this year also is higher up there because I actually got to complete the entire challenge. Out of those my first Full is probably my favorite. It was a great experience for me and is a great runDisney medal.

To start us off in March we have the following folks with races this weekend!

03 - @beatlecat42 - RNR NOLA 5k (NG / N/A)
03 - @kywyldcat03 – Nashville Tom King Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
03 - @baxter24 - Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
04 - beatlecat42 - RNR NOLA 10k (NG / N/A)
04 - @apdebord - Newport News One City Maritime 8k (NG / N/A)
04 - @Chaitali - Pacer's St. Pat's 5k/10k (NG / N/A)
04 - @JClimacus - Hampton Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
04 - @Dis5150 - Little Rock Marathon (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! Let me know if you need to make a revision to your goal time or if someone would like to add a race. We look forward to hearing how your race went!

My first half marathon medal means the most to me! It's from the Richmond Half in 2014 and I still remember how good crossing that finish line felt :)

On the running front, things aren't going so well. I keep having pain on the top of my foot, I think it's extensor tendonitis. It matches the description perfectly. I rest a couple days, try running again, it feels fine during the run and I get excited, but the pain is back the next morning :( So it seems I need more than just a couple days of rest. I'm going to cut down to the 10k this weekend (instead of the 5k plus 10k) for my St. Patrick's Day race. And then I'm going to cut out the running completely for a week or two, but still go to body pump and do the bike/elliptical to keep some cardio in there. Hopefully, if I pick up training at 7 miles in Mid March, that should still get me ready for my half at the end of April.

ATTQOTD: It’s a tie between my first marathon medal (2017) and my Dopey medal (2018)! Those are the only two times where my eyes have started to leak a tad when someone has put the medal around my neck.

February miles: 89.82

@LSUlakes - I actually do have a goal in mind for this weekend. Ultimate goal is to run it in under 2:09:58 which would be a PR but I kinda want to push and see if I can get 2:07 but we shall see how it all plays out!

ATTQOTD: Well my first medal was the 2015 W&D half of a half so that one was just a total disappointment. Did I really deserve a half medal when the race was shortened? There was so much controversy on FB and on the Dis after that race! So I ran a half back home the next month, 2015 Casa Half Marathon. The medal isn't even that pretty but to me it symbolizes my first "accomplishment" as a runner, so I would say that one was my favorite!

I have been gone awhile, with LIFE, but I'm back, so I'm just going to jump right in where we are at:
Do you have a finishers medal that means more to you than others? You may have multiple medals from the same race, but the one from a certain year means more to you... why? Feel free to post a picture of it.
Right now it is my "newly" completed Dopey medals!!!
But, I guess before that, it would have been my first Marathon medal. Still super proud of that one ;)

ATTQOTD: Without a doubt my first marathon medal which was the 20th anniversary WDW Marathon. It's my favorite not only because it is an amazing medal, but I also ran that race 8 weeks after a double-mastectomy following my breast cancer diagnosis. I started chemo the day after we returned from that trip. That race symbolized for me the acknowledgement that I am stronger than I think I am and it was a mantra I used many times during my treatment and that I continue to use today when I'm faced with a difficult challenge.

ATTQOTD: Without a doubt my first marathon medal which was the 20th anniversary WDW Marathon. It's my favorite not only because it is an amazing medal, but I also ran that race 8 weeks after a double-mastectomy following my breast cancer diagnosis. I started chemo the day after we returned from that trip. That race symbolized for me the acknowledgement that I am stronger than I think I am and it was a mantra I used many times during my treatment and that I continue to use today when I'm faced with a difficult challenge.

I wish there was a "love" button. You are strong and amazing! :hug:

ATTQOTD:
I actually haven't raced that often, so all of my medals are somewhat special. I have them hanging in view of my treadmill and it's funny how looking at them can quickly bring back so many memories.

On another note... Doesn't this seem like the winter of never-ending sickness? Ugh.

ATTQOTD: If I had to choose just one, I would pick my 2013 Pumpkinman Triathlon medal from first. This was my first real adult race and the course was no joke. I don't know why I always pick the ones with the huge mountains to climb, but I do! My second would be my Dumbo Double Dare medal from Disneyland in 2014 because I finished the 10k and HM with the most minimal training and that was pretty inspiring to myself, even though I swore I would never run a HM again after that. And then my third being the one I got last weekend because I slayed a mountain and I am pretty proud of that.

Wow @ZellyB, what a story (and what a medal!)! Such amazing strength.

ATTQOTD: I only have two race medals, my half from last year and the Marine Corps 10k, also from last year. The half was first half I did and I think the medal is purty, so I'll go with that.

ATTQOTD: i don't know if any single medal means much more than any others i've collected. the satisfaction comes from seeing the whole group of them.

but this touches on an oddity about my medals i didn't notice until this week. the marathons i've run have tended to be smaller events which i kind of prefer (fewer people see you at your absolute physical worst). as a result, all of my marathon medals are significantly smaller than my half-marathon medals. which (as i noted here) are often HUGE.

so, yeah, i arrange them so the marathons are in the front, but that's about it for the favoritism.

@LSUlakes you need to add my name to my race on the 25th (Dallas Rock n' Roll HM)

Question/Survey (sorry!) If you were running a marathon in the following conditions, what would you wear?
race start - real feel of 38, T+D of 78
mid race - real feel of 51, T+D of 93
finish - real feel of 59, T+D of 102
mostly cloudy, 4-7 mph winds, and 15% chance of rain

I'm thinking shorts and a tank. Debating on if I need a lightweight running hoodie but I HATE having something tied around my waist if I get hot. Taking this race pretty slow, my DB plan has me finishing in 6:13. It is so much easier to plan if it is just plain hot or cold, lol.

I have several that mean a lot to me (first full, first 70.3, first IM to name a few), but the one I hold most dear is my back to back medal from Comrades. You only earn it if you finish both directions in back to back years, and then only the first time you try. You only get one shot at it. It’s not much bigger than a quarter but it sure is special.

26677C5B-FFD2-4C38-BA90-C04F7DB86A95.jpeg

Question/Survey (sorry!) If you were running a marathon in the following conditions, what would you wear?
race start - real feel of 38, T+D of 78
mid race - real feel of 51, T+D of 93
finish - real feel of 59, T+D of 102
mostly cloudy, 4-7 mph winds, and 15% chance of rain

Definitely shorts and a short sleeve shirt, with maybe a long sleeve top to drop after the first mile or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter