• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

On the atlanta note (it was kind of sucky this morning at 6:30 T+D 140) but who is going to PTRR and what coral?

I am in E and happy to see the start time is 7:10. tagging the folks who might be going.

@Mr_Incr3dible @OldSlowGoofyGuy @Disney at Heart
DH and I are in G. At the beach in FL now practicing for the heat and humidity, but not so much for the hills!😁

Here I was thinking my T+D of 132 was bad. I think if it got up to 160 I wouldn't be physically able to run. Or even exist outside of air conditioning really. Every time it gets above like 80F here, I wonder how people in the South survive.

Yea I woke up this morning in Dallas area and the T+D was 161 at 4:30 am. Was brutal even at my T+D adjusted pace (thanks @DopeyBadger). Interestingly my Garmin told me when it was done I was 29% acclimated to the heat. Curious how they determine that. Not sure I'm curious enough to actually look it up but may come around after I stop dripping.

OK I'm back with more Garmin questions. I've gotten sufficiently annoyed with my apple watch that I'm making the switch.
Right now I'm between the Forerunner 265S ($600) and the Fenix 7S ($1080 - I prefer the look of the solar one, so it's a bit more than the standard). Can anyone share their experience with both watches? Do you find they're missing anything? If you got the Forerunner, do you ever wish you had spend the extra $$ to go for the Fenix?
For reference, I'll be using it primarily for running, but I'm also considering trying a triathlon eventually.

OK I'm back with more Garmin questions. I've gotten sufficiently annoyed with my apple watch that I'm making the switch.
Right now I'm between the Forerunner 265S ($600) and the Fenix 7S ($1080 - I prefer the look of the solar one, so it's a bit more than the standard). Can anyone share their experience with both watches? Do you find they're missing anything? If you got the Forerunner, do you ever wish you had spend the extra $$ to go for the Fenix?
For reference, I'll be using it primarily for running, but I'm also considering trying a triathlon eventually.
If you're willing to spend $1000, you might want to look at the Epix, too. I got the Epix at Christmas time and love it. Previously I'd had a Garmin 235, VA3, and Venu. The AMOLED screen is amazing and it has great battery life. The dual-band GPS is also useful, I think.

Are those Canadian $ prices? They seem very high, otherwise. I've got the Fenix 7 Solar and love it, but honestly it's WAY more watch than I need. It was the only watch with the battery life I needed when I bought it, though. I can't think of anything you'd be missing going with the Fenix. I think it'll really come down to whether you're willing to pay the premium for the build quality and extra features of the Fenix over the Forerunner.

I had a Fenix 5s and went to the Forerunner 255s and haven't looked back. The FR is much lighter and actually has more relevant features for me, since I really only run, walk and do strength workouts. I loved the look of the Fenix as a daily wear watch, but it just wasn't worth the extra cost to me. (I bought a Lily for the occasions when I really want to wear a smart watch but need to dress it up a bit.)

I haven't had a solar version of any Garmin so can't speak to that aspect.

I had the Epix 2 for a while and liked it quite a bit, but decided to switch it out for the Forerunner 965 when that came out (because I have more money than sense, I guess, and gadgets are fun). I've been very happy with the 965. The weight difference is noticeable, and it's significantly less expensive than the Fenix for pretty much the same features minus a few things. Check out DC Rainmaker's comparison - I was quite surprised at how little difference there is on the software side of things.

It also does have cycling and swimming features, so it can do a triathlon.

On the atlanta note (it was kind of sucky this morning at 6:30 T+D 140) but who is going to PTRR and what coral?

I am in E and happy to see the start time is 7:10. tagging the folks who might be going.

@Mr_Incr3dible @OldSlowGoofyGuy @Disney at Heart
The PTRR annoyed me enough with all their added fees and exorbitant mailing fee for not attending the expo that I'm not entered this year. Probably just as well since I'm still dealing with this pain in the quads in my right leg.
At first I thought I had strained something, but not sure how. Now I think maybe it is meralgia paresthetica, one cause of which is a belt too tight. I've been wearing shorts and cinching up the drawstring snugly and my speculation is that is the cause. I started wearing different short and the pain declined.
I tried an easy run the other day and managed about a half mile before things started hurting, so I'm not sure if there is still healing that needs to be allowed to happen or if now it is just that I haven't run in 3 weeks.
I just know that I'm chafing at not being able to go put in the miles.

I'm not running PTRR and have only done so once -- in 2019 when I happened to be there for work. Yet I got a thousand emails from them up until last week, practically begging me to register! When I did it in 2019 I had to get a spot in a lottery, and now they are looking for entries less than a month before the race. What's up with that?

I replaced my dead 955 (my fault. I dropped it) with a Forerunner 255 music. I paid <looks around to see if wife is nearby> about $400 on Amazon, spending the $50 extra for the model with music capability. Can you find it cheaper elsewhere? Probably but I hated trying to run without it.
It does all the running tracking stuff that my old one did, and that's what I was going for. I downloaded some different watch faces to have the data I want on display and I'm happy with it. One nice feature that is new to me is that the 255 will call out the mile mark in my Shockz instead of just vibrating on my wrist. That is nifty.
As for the solar charging feature, after reading the specs, it would need to be catching a lot of direct sun to make much of a difference in extra time before needing a charge from a cord. Nice in concept, but not worth the extra $$. As it is, mine is holding a charge for about a week at a time.
I will also note that if you turn on the notification feature, you can see incoming text messages similar to an Apple watch. It's also a little thinner and lighter than my old 955.
No regrets on my purchase. YMMV

I'm not running PTRR and have only done so once -- in 2019 when I happened to be there for work. Yet I got a thousand emails from them up until last week, practically begging me to register! When I did it in 2019 I had to get a spot in a lottery, and now they are looking for entries less than a month before the race. What's up with that?
I have also been inundated with emails and even postcards in snail mail. In the past, the race has sold out quickly and they even instituted a lottery for the final 5,000 or 10,000 slots (I forget the actual number).
To see them still with slots this late is totally new.
My guess is that I'm not the only person that decided that the price, the PITA factor, and lack of swag just didn't make it worth it. I can go run in races 10 minutes from my house and get as nice of a shirt for less money. Going all the way downtown to the expo to get my race number can take 2-3 hours, plus paying for parking, just to get the number and a coupon for a waffle at Waffle House. Or pay $15 per bib to get them mailed. I have noted that what comes in the mail is exactly the same as the envelope at the expo other than being sealed shut and postage.

My thought is that those who opt for mail are paying for all of the envelopes to be stuffed, making it a defacto penalty for not going to the expo. It's probably not as big a deal for people coming into town for the race and/or staying near a Marta station, but it is a big PITA for those of us living in the metro area outside of the city. But the mailing fee and the credit card "convenience" fee combine to be a large percentage of the race entry fee.

Wearing a PTRR shirt around Atlanta is a big thing, especially in the days following the race. In the past they have been cotton and (usually) nice to wear. Last year's shirt was moisture wicking, but a material not like any such shirts I already have, and with the large race applique on the front, it was like wearing Tyvek. I feel like I ought to be painting in it. Will that return this year? I dunno.
The shirt is also one of the annoyances, in that they seem to change shirt vendor every year, so the quality of the shirt itself varies year to year, plus the question of whether the design is a good one. After the horrible 25th anniversary shirt (plain white shirt with a design that looked like it was done by an untalented child, but selected because it was "artsy") they started selecting 5 final designs and letting the public vote on a winner. The quality of the offerings is still subject to what the Atl Track Club decides for the final 5, but general public usually votes for one of two most appealing designs.

I may enter again in the future, but not this year. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Thank you for listening.

I think it is a side effect from Covid. Since 2021 they have not filled all the slots. My guess is once people did NOT do it in 2020, they realized they did not want to anymore. It still has a big draw but i think the price (like @Mr_Incr3dible said) has a lot to do with it. Though it is not as expensive as disney but you don't get a medal. I don't do the race every year but since July 4 is a tuesday and we had no vacation plans, meaning i would be at home, i was like i will want to do the race. Now i do live right near the finish so it is one marta ride in the morning. Bert and Whisky will be out to cheer me on.

but you don't get a medal
Wait what? I definitely got a medal in 2019. I remember because you got it at the expo and the shirt at the finish. When did those go away?

I'd actually do it again if it worked out for my schedule. It was crazy hot but the course support made it super fun.

Wait what? I definitely got a medal in 2019. I remember because you got it at the expo and the shirt at the finish. When did those go away?

I'd actually do it again if it worked out for my schedule. It was crazy hot but the course support made it super fun.
You did have to pay extra for a medal. I am not sure if they do that anymore though. I never purchased. Yeah I think it is a fun course so I signed up.

Thanks everyone. Those prices are Canadian, so probably quite a bit more than US. I think I need to stick to one of the watches that come in the smaller sizes, as anything bigger will probably look ridiculous on my wrist. I need to find out if there are any stores locally where I'd be able to try them before buying, but I doubt it. I'm also not planning on relying on the solar power at all, I just prefer the colour of that model.

Oh yeah, it is totally fun. It is 6.5 miles of party, packed solid with spectators and music, to where I quit taking earbuds.
No, I’ve never gotten a medal; just a shirt.
Yes, hot as all get out, but by getting a seed early in the alphabet (I used to get in the B corral, lately it has been more like F or G) I’m done and headed for the Marta station before the last corrals start and before the sun gets to be too bad.

As I said, I’ll probably do it again, but not this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter